• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond3D closes down - (Up: it's back open and owner cites toxic behaviour as most prominent reason)

nush

A little toxicity never hurt anyone 😜
JoE5Yp.gif

I regularly posted on Beyond3D from early 2020 to maybe a bit while after the consoles launched. It was a good spot to learn about various graphics & computing technologies that I was ignorant about, but very interested in given the talk around the PS5 & Series X. And, yeah, through a lot of my time there I was quite on the Xbox side of things; I think I was regularly downplaying PS5 customizations with the SSD I/O and even things like the cache scrubbers in the GPU. But at the time, I didn't know much better.

That's probably how I was still like in a way after I stopped posting there regularly (and then altogether) but aside getting mocked a few times over my next-gen (post-PS5/Series X) speculations (granted some of those early ones I can say were pretty bad and unrealistic given how I understand things today) it was generally pretty informative in learning about some various things tech-wise with the consoles and the GPU/CPU space in general. If there was a heavy Xbox bias in the gaming side of the forums at that time (2020-late 2021)...I wouldn't have necessarily noticed because I was being similarly dumb and bought into a good amount of that mindset as well (and yes, you can probably still find posts of mine here from that time period that are similar. A blemish on the now flawless me
/s
).

However now that I think back, members like BRiT were definitely biased in favor of Xbox when talking the console tech there at the time, and so were others like DF's Alex (who posted there) and our own VFX Veteran. So I can only imagine what toxicity unfolded in the gaming side of discourse there after late 2021, once I stopped posting. It probably got REALLY bad if the owner themselves cite it as a reason they shut the forum down.

I wonder if ResetERA is next, given there's a lot of parallels between the two and their trajectory towards growing toxicity when you think about it 🤔...

Can we somehow get Resetera to do the same?

I give them until December this year. Depending on what Xbox games end up getting ported to PS/Nintendo and how Xbox console sales pan out for the year.

People like Vigilante Joker are already madly aggressive and borderline breaking down over the rumors alone days into the new year. If that stuff continues and manifests into multiple ports, folks like him are gonna have epic meltdowns and the enabling mods/admin won't be able to contain the downpours of cope.

Last edited:
Looking at that site now I barely recognize it. I haven't posted there in years. But it had a good run. I did enjoy the discussions back in the day.

I do still have a few older B3D members in my PSN friends list.

Allandor

That's really sad. Beyond3D was a good platform to get some insights also from game developers. Also I will miss the answers from the DF team.
But yes, fanboys (not the mods) made it hard to write there without getting baseless responses in the last years and if you answered those it got worse. The mood was very technical and neutral, but well fanboys don't like it when you discuss advantages and disadvantages of certain features (on a technical level).
The last mods tried there best, but couldn't do enough in their free time (after all moderation in such forums becomes more and more a full time job).

Last edited:

Kuranghi

That really only started in 2021. The culprits were obvious if you were a regular visitor.

I was one of the first members of the forum. Twenty-one years.
Never achieved enough posts to become a forum "Veteran" though.
Lots of good material there. I hope it stays up.

This is what I'm worried about, things like those spreadsheets of "bytes" to allow Nvidia Control Panel work properly with 1000s of games. I had to search for ages to find the proper one for Dead Space 1 to allow supersampling of the whole image (so also transparencies) without introducing any weird outline or shadow bugs.

That's the only way to play those old MSAA-era games without horrifically bad aliasing. You'd think you can just run them at insanely high resolutions to remove it but it's still quite visible.

I'm wondering if I should use an autodownloader to download them all and keep a backup.

simpatico

The OG nerd lords are getting pushed out to pasture. I wonder if the next generation will be as detail oriented and thorough.

FireFly

They reversed the decision.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
They reversed the decision.

Money is a helluva drug.

peish

dont you just hate these snowflakes?

obviously obvious, money was the problem. They just had to throw in toxicity nonsense.

CGNoire

Well IDK if its related but recently I saw one of the mods over there "Warn" some poster for using the word "Cancer" as a derogatory adjective to describe some aspect of gaming the user didnt like and was warned...

(Paraphrasing)
.. "Dont use the term Cancer in that way. Dont you know millions of people are dealing with or have friends and family dealing with that disease? It not a term to just be thrown around like that."

....so Im not suprised.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Since they reopened I read their terms and conditions. If they call that guidance then no wonder they're getting walked all over by mouth-breathing keyboard warriors. Nobody knows how to act when the rules are ambiguous.

It's actually an endearing term in Australia, if someone calls you a cunt you're a pretty dam good friend and just overall good cunt.

If they call you mate get ready to throw hands but.
Yea, I know. I actually lol’d at the poster because I know they joke around a lot. Ass of Can Whooping has been here forever lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
So it was the fact that he had to moderate the forum by reviewing the reports page every time he logged in? Really?

And this bizarre the good old days of the forums memory he has is just nostalgia. Forums were a lot meaner and a lot more toxic back then. System wars in the 90s and early 2000s was a full time job. He’s just mad because he has grown old and soft and doesnt have the patience for it. Fine, then hire moderators.

Shutting down an entire forum on a whim is so childish.

Top Bottom