• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bicycle age

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
That Trek is super handsome. Love the little tilt in the geometry near the stem. I think that my dream bike is probably something like a superlight hybrid with an internal hub, but WAY more so than in a car, I like having control of my own gears, so an automatic would never be satisfying. Ironically I like changing down or up so that my cadence is a bit off and I am burning more calories than I really need to. Also I think cadence and gearing are subjective rather than torque based. So a hill gearing ratio might feel wrong, depending on your physicality.

Oh and if you are looking at hybrids, I have a Gary Fisher Mendota and it is absolutely my favorite bike ever.

Kraftwerk

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at a few other hybrids now. Maybe something like this might fit my needs better:

Trek Montare

A lockable suspension might be nice to have. I'd be losing the internal gear hub, though.

Is an internal hub a MUST for you?

TheExodu5

Banned
I think I'm reaaaaaallly leaning towards that Trek. I was too focused on IGH, and giving too much, I think.

I'm going to have to go try it out! It's probably the best looking bike I've ever seen. Can't say no to that. :)

Kraftwerk said:
Is an internal hub a MUST for you?

I thought it would have been nice to have, since I kind of hate gears always getting out of alignment, and chain skipping. I guess I can manage for some added versatility, and bike sexiness. :)

I wonder how much speed I'd be losing on the paths going to something like this...

TheExodu5

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
Oh and if you are looking at hybrids, I have a Gary Fisher Mendota and it is absolutely my favorite bike ever.

If only it were all black and sexy. Not a fan of that cream white. :(

TheExodu5 said:
Thanks for the suggestions.

Looking at a few other hybrids now. Maybe something like this might fit my needs better:

Trek Montare

A lockable suspension might be nice to have. I'd be losing the internal gear hub, though.

I got the Specialized Sirrus. It's quite nice and might be along the lines of what you are looking for.

OuterWorldVoice said:
WAY more so than in a car, I like having control of my own gears, so an automatic would never be satisfying.

Yeah automatic-shift bikes are garbage. (As are bikes with drive shaft instead of a chain). Infomercial novelties crap.

But I don't see the connection between internally geared bikes and bikes with automatic shifting. Only a tiny microscopic percentage of internally geared bikes have this crappy system, so there's no reason not to go with internally geared. In fact, there's probably automatic derailed-shifted bikes as well. (Look into Rohloff for nice hubs with gearing--very nice but also pricey.)

perryfarrell said:
Yeah automatic-shift bikes are garbage. (As are bikes with drive shaft instead of a chain). Infomercial novelties crap.

But I don't see the connection between internally geared bikes and bikes with automatic shifting. Only a tiny microscopic percentage of internally geared bikes have this crappy system, so there's no reason not to go with internally geared. In fact, there's probably automatic derailed-shifted bikes as well. (Look into Rohloff for nice hubs with gearing--very nice but also pricey.)

internal hubs are super damn heavy though. :(

TheExodu5 said:
I think I'm reaaaaaallly leaning towards that Trek.

You really have to give these different bikes a try.

Over the last 2 pages, you've switched from considering urban/commuter bikes with straight bars, to mountain bikes, to cyclocross bikes. These are very different rides!

What will you use the bike mostly for? Getting around town? Going to work/school? The occasional ride in the park or along the river for some exercise? Will you ever take it offroad? Will it be for sport or for transportation mostly?

I'd hesitate to recommend a cyclocross or road bike, as they are really aimed at cycling for sport, and are less suitable for pure transportation.

TheExodu5

Banned
perryfarrell said:
You really have to give these different bikes a try.

Over the last 2 pages, you've switched from considering urban/commuter bikes with straight bars, to mountain bikes, to cyclocross bikes. These are very different rides!

What will you use the bike mostly for? Getting around town? Going to work/school? The occasional ride in the park or along the river for some exercise? Will you ever take it offroad? Will it be for sport or for transportation mostly?

I'd hesitate to recommend a cyclocross or road bike, as they are really aimed at cycling for sport, and are less suitable for pure transportation.
I've only considered a commuter and two hybrids. The Trek above isn't a MTB.

As or my ride...mostly sport. I will probably ride to work, but I generally just really enjoy biking. I will bike around the city, and maybe in the hills over in the country. I want a bike that will let me hop a curb and go up a steep grassy hill as a shortcut. I want something I can ride on gravel. I want a bike with tires that aren't going to go flat on me because of a small rock. And yet, I want something that will be fast on the road and bike paths. I will bike mostly on pavement, but I do not want to be limited to it.

My idea of a fun day out would be to bike all around the city, trough streets, bike paths, fields, and dirt trails in the woods looking for geocaches. It needs to be versatile and relatively comfortable. If I can get a bike that can do this while being closer to a road bike than a mountain bike in terms of pavement speed, I'd be very happy.

I live in Ottawa FYI.

Stinkles

perryfarrell said:

The end state of that tech, and I hope this ends up happening, would be an incredibly simple bike, with fewer exposed moving parts. I LOVE the simplicity of a fixie, but they are total shit in terms of utitlity and flexibility. I picture some amazing future bike with indestructible buckytube tires, a reflexive automatic hubless shift, and just like, sparse, zen like emptiness.

Just have to solve for brakes...

TheExodu5 said:
My idea of a fun day out would be to bike all around the city, trough streets, bike paths, fields, and dirt trails in the woods looking for geocaches. It needs to be versatile and relatively comfortable. If I can get a bike that can do this while being closer to a road bike than a mountain bike in terms of pavement speed, I'd be very happy.

I live in Ottawa FYI.

I think you SHOULD buy a Hybrid. It's the perfect utility and riding position for what you describe, but you will have to get more flexible tires. hybrids all come with commuter tires, and they're basically slicks. You need something a it chunkier with some tread. Get it done when you buy the bike. Only be another 20 bucks or so but you need to do it to even hit a gravel path.

ana

I'm itching for a fat bike (surly or mukluk) for winter.
It's fun to drive in the woods on a frozen bog and snow crust.

But i also need a new road bike :(

TheExodu5

Banned
OuterWorldVoice said:
I think you SHOULD buy a Hybrid. It's the perfect utility and riding position for what you describe, but you will have to get more flexible tires. hybrids all come with commuter tires, and they're basically slicks. You need something a it chunkier with some tread. Get it done when you buy the bike. Only be another 20 bucks or so but you need to do it to even hit a gravel path.

Sounds like a good idea.

What's the advantage of going Mendota over Montare?

GuessWho

I was all mountain bike, but decided enough was enough I needed speed. Didn't spend a fortune so I got myself a Giant Rapid 3, very nice bike - shitty kenda tires.
This thing flys and takes little effort to get it going.

04-01-1043.jpg

TheExodu5 said:

These are just two specific models. Chances that one person on GAF has experience with both is close to zero. Hell, they may be out of production a year from now. Having looked at both, the differences seem negligible. Apparently Cannondale has a similar model, the Bad Boy.

The best thing to do is to is to go to a bikeshop and talk to some salespeople (they'll measure you and make sure you get the right size bike). But if you insist on making the purchase decision from behind a keyboard, you can also check out bikeforums.net. Plenty of people with exactly the same questions as you.

The Montare has front suspension, it looks like. The Mendota does not. They both have disk brakes, which is nice. Similar components too: Shimano Deore, which should work fine.

brentech

I just got a "lifestyle" (as the brand calls it) mountain bike - GIANT Revel 0 - two weeks ago. Was riding a disposable bike for recreation and exercise the previous few months. I had an old no-suspension Cannondale up to 2002 when it got stolen my first year of college.

Between the missing bike and Crohn's Disease which finally got under control last year, I just recently got back into biking as running was just too impact-ful on my knees.

Feels so good to be on a quality bike again. I'm going to try some clip(less) pedals that I have ordered after talking to my bike shop. Went with some Crank Bros. egg beater style - should be interesting as I get used to them. Can't wait though.
About a 5 mile ride from my house to some quality trails, if not that, I just ride to my hearts content.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What kind of floor pumps do you guys have?

I have a specialized one thats a couple years old. I think it might be called a switchhitter or something, all I know its a pretty big drag with presta valves. Its always a hassle to get it on right.

ameratsu

I've decided to keep my older road bike (1988 Bianchi Campione D'Italia). Does anyone have a list of potential upgrades I could be looking at? (New wheels, BB, groupset, etc). Overall it is a very good bike, I just feel like it could use improvement.

Stinkles

TheExodu5 said:
Sounds like a good idea.

Fit, which is subjective and suspension. Mendota has carbon forks, no shocks. Best thing to do is ride them, obviously. If you can't do that, then don't worry, they're both great. I rode both while shopping. Cant remember in detail how the Montare rode, just that I loved it. Mendota in the end I picked because I loved the looks and it accelerated unlike any other bike I ever rode. Which is really a measure of how compatible the geometry is with my body type.

Physically, I am like a cross between E. Honda and Sy Snootles.

I upgraded my Mendota's seat to a light gel seat, because I had back surgery and can't take the bumps, and new end bars and grips. Also added a rear rack to carry my daughter on rare trips. Oh and clipless pedals with regular treads on one side. My dream is to go on a big road trip with it, but will never happen thanks to family obligations. Would love to do canyon country on it - did that back in the day and it was amazing. I peed on a bear from the lip of the grand canyon in a thunderstorm. Or a very large angry animal. Didn't hang around to find out which.

That Montare will do double duty as a proper Mountain Bike though. With the right tires, that's a full on, proper trail bike with only wheel size In terms of compromise. the Mendota's with the right ties will handle trails and cinder paths, but I wouldn't jump it off anything bigger than a curb.

BdoUK

I got into cycling less than a year ago, but it's already become a great passion. While I don't have a lot of time to ride during the week, I do find time to ride with the local cycling club on weekends. I average about 100-150 miles a week in the saddle. I finished my first century ride back in May and can't wait to do another one this fall.

That being said I decided to sell my aluminum Trek 2.3 and go the carbon fiber route. After much research I settled on a 2010 Specialized Tarmac Pro with SRAM Red / Force components. So far I'm amazed at how much better the Specialized handles and accelerates. I didn't think the jump from aluminum to carbon fiber would be that noticeable, but it really does make a difference. SRAM is taking a little while to get used to as I'm coming from Shimano, but I think in the long run I'm going to like the double tap shifters.

Anyway enough talk...here's a money shot of the new bike:

1zlgode.jpg

I want to get a bike but I'm not sure what to get. I don't want a fixie but I never make use of all the gears in multiple gear bikes. With my old bike, I just put it on the highest gear and let my strong legs take care of the rest.

Can you guys recommend something?

dojokun

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
I want to get a bike but I'm not sure what to get. I don't want a fixie but I never make use of all the gears in multiple gear bikes. With my old bike, I just put it on the highest gear and let my strong legs take care of the rest.

Can you guys recommend something?
What is your budget?

Will you use it for groceries or carrying anything?

What is the terrain like for where you will use it? hilly? offroad?

dojokun said:
What is your budget?

Will you use it for groceries or carrying anything?

What is the terrain like for where you will use it? hilly? offroad?

$500 but would be willing to spend more if something is on sale. It would be for mainly flat urban/suburban terrain for getting around town or taking trips to the beach with some friends.

Kraftwerk

Restoration almost complete :)

Got my classic Italian Columbus SLX frame + A full Campagnolo groupset.

ONE MORE DAY!

HNGGGGGGGGGG

dojokun

Banned
Jamesfrom818 said:
$500 but would be willing to spend more if something is on sale. It would be for mainly flat urban/suburban terrain for getting around town or taking trips to the beach with some friends.
If you don't mind slow acceleration, then a plain beacher cruiser would do the trick. $300 would get a very decent one. $400 top of the line.

If you want a little better acceleration (good for speeding up after stop signs and traffic lights), then maybe a dutch style cruiser. Linus bikes sells singlespeed bikes for roughly $500. Electra is a popular brand that sells dutch bikes. Also look at hybrid bikes. The Trek 7.1, 7.2 etc series is a good example of this.

For best acceleration, look for a bike with road tires. If you don't use gears then a singlespeed bike with road tires would easily be in your range. Or maybe a three speed with internal hub. Bigger brands like Trek or Specialized would have a couple models with "ok" components close to your range, maybe a tad more. Smaller companies tend to either put on good components for lots more money, or it's only $300 but has crap components.

My own bike is a Specialized Langster, which was 660 but is now 699. It's a fixie with flip flop hub so you can ride it as a regular singlespeed. Trek soho is a bit cheaper.

^ Also look into the Trek Earl or Gritty or Soho. This is the urban collection, some are single-speed, some are BMX inspired. But they're all simple & get the job done w/out a trillion gears.

Beach cruisers can look cool, but I'd say they're suitable only for extreeemely laid-back riding. I wouldn't want to rely on them to get places. cuz they're simply not made for that.

Just spent the weekend in Wales and on Saturday my boyfriend and his best mate and I went to Cwmcarn. Didn't get booked on the uplift so had to ride/walk up. Started off on the Twrch trail but ended up pushing up the main road, tough climb.

The freeride area at the top was pretty neat, I really liked the black run, but thought the red run was a little lame. The Downhill was pretty brutal though, I will admit I actually got off my bike a couple of times, definitely beyond my meagre abilities.

Anyone else checked out Cwmcarn? What were your thoughts?

I'm liking what I'm reading about the Trek Earl and Gritty. I'm going to swing by a few bike shops in LA I know of and see if they have them in stock so I can test ride them.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I'm in Ireland and we have a government scheme to encourage people to cycle more.
I can get 50% off any bike (up to €1000) and was looking at urban hybrids like the Trek 7 series.

Anyone have a Trek series specifically a Trek 7.5 FX(any year)?
The user reviews of it are all very positive but some feedback from here would be great.

kiryogi

Banned
Haven't had a chance to post and mention but I ended up getting the Trek 8.3 DS. Didn't realize it was essentially the 2011 Kaitai, but with disc brakes :D
IMG_20110716_204151.jpg

And I absolutely love it, a great hybrid bike :D Horrid phone photo I know.

What does Gaf recommend for someone not in the best of shape just yet.I posted earlier about having a comfort bike.I use it to commute to work semi long distances .I kind of regret my purchase now.

MisterRueler

Neo Member
Hey Bicycle-Gaf, I'm looking for some advice on how to care for my bike.

I've got this Giant Cypress hybrid that I probably haven't used for over a year mainly because of going to college and then kind of forgetting about it. Anyways, I want to get back into biking and noticed that it has some rust damage due to being stored in a shitty shed in my parents' backyard.

Here are some pictures of it:

102_0743.JPG

102_0744.JPG

102_0745.JPG

102_0747.JPG

It seems pretty obvious to me that the chain needs to be replaced, but what about those bolts in the last picture? (I don't know the correct terminology for them...)

I'm going to be taking it in to my local bike shop to get it repaired, tuned up, but I want to be able to eventually take care of it on my own.

Any recommendations for tools to get or whatever to keep it in good shape?

brentech

MisterRueler said:
Hey Bicycle-Gaf, I'm looking for some advice on how to care for my bike.

I've got this Giant Cypress hybrid that I probably haven't used for over a year mainly because of going to college and then kind of forgetting about it. Anyways, I want to get back into biking and noticed that it has some rust damage due to being stored in a shitty shed in my parents' backyard.

Here are some pictures of it:

It seems pretty obvious to me that the chain needs to be replaced, but what about those bolts in the last picture? (I don't know the correct terminology for them...)

I'm going to be taking it in to my local bike shop to get it repaired, tuned up, but I want to be able to eventually take care of it on my own.

Any recommendations for tools to get or whatever to keep it in good shape?
Yeah, for safety the chain should probably be replaced as you say. The bolts in the last picture are just water bottle bracket mounts, so, not a big deal. Many bottle mounts come with a few screws of their own that you could replace with if ever needed. Almost always 4mm hex screws.

But yeah. Let a bike shop look it over and make sure everything is working properly. The teeth on your chain ring looked to be a little rusty as well - so will be interesting to see what they decide to do with that. The cogs in in the back looked to be in better condition.

kiryogi said:
Haven't had a chance to post and mention but I ended up getting the Trek 8.3 DS. Didn't realize it was essentially the 2011 Kaitai, but with disc brakes :D
IMG_20110716_204151.jpg

Great bike, but ditch that crappy rear light unless you want to die.

But a Planet Bike Superflash

pbbsf-1.jpg

It is a MUCH better rear light. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fucking a. I'm trying to inflate my rear tire. The piece of shit pump I have is only good at removing air. I plug it in and I clearly ear pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and before I know it all the air is out of the stupid tire. This is 2011 and we're still pumping air like 1970.

brentech

Ether_Snake said:
Fucking a. I'm trying to inflate my rear tire. The piece of shit pump I have is only good at removing air. I plug it in and I clearly ear pssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh and before I know it all the air is out of the stupid tire. This is 2011 and we're still pumping air like 1970.
What kind of pump (hand, standing, compressor). Assuming set to the correct valve type?

Some pumps try to do both valves without turning parts around, but end up not working well for either type as you have to get the air flow started a certain way and it rarely seems to working. (looking at you Schwinn hand pump)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's a hand pump.

When I push the tip on the thing, I hear the air coming out. So I push on it as hard as I can then lock it, but I know air is still coming out.

I just gave up. Not gonna use my bike tomorrow, I don't feel like dealing with this crap anymore tonight.

Ether_Snake said:
It's a hand pump.

When I push the tip on the thing, I hear the air coming out. So I push on it as hard as I can then lock it, but I know air is still coming out.

I just gave up. Not gonna use my bike tomorrow, I don't feel like dealing with this crap anymore tonight.

What kind of valve? What kind of adapter on your hand pump? Are they mismatched by any chance? Is there a locking tab on your hand pump?

Edit: Just noticed brentech already asked you those questions.

negitoro7

kiryogi said:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-...AD0/YTsZiMZzo8E/s1024/IMG_20110716_204151.jpg

This will be my next bike (and first decent bike)! Does anyone have any other suggestions to compare with this? I want a somewhat fast road bike with upright handlebars, with the ability to go do light off-road trails a few times a summer. Will be commuting with this a few times a week. I love how this has the lock-out suspension feature to switch between road and off-road modes, does any other brands have this feature and disc brakes for around $600-700?

I've been thinking about getting a cyclocross bike to add to my 'stable' later on...this might be the one for me:

2012 Raleigh Furley: steel frame, single-speed, disc brakes

RA12_Furley_orange.jpg

If you like gears there's this one as well...

2012 Raleigh Roper

RA12_Roper_dksilver.jpg

'Come and knock on our door...'

TheExodu5

Banned
So, I ordered the Trek Mendota (Gary Fisher Collection).

2011-trek-mendota-city-commuter-bicycle.png

I just absolutely love the style and design of the bike, so I had to jump on it, sadly without ever having tried it. I really hope I like it, and I hope it fits right. They only had 2x 17.5 models left at Trek, and I'm around 5'8" (maybe ~30" inseam)...the guy at the shop said it should fit me perfectly. I hope he was right!

I didn't want to chance not being able to this bike, since it was the one that really drew me in. I was afraid they wouldn't come out with the same model next year.

The guy at the shop had never heard of this bike, funny enough, as he had recommended the 7.5FX. I asked him to compare the specs, and he was quite surprised at the specs of the Mendota for the price, especially with the SLX derailleurs. Looking forward to next week!

edit: after a bit more research, I think the guy was a bit full of shit. The bike is in line, or slightly overpriced, at best (comparing to other bikes, like the Canondale CX 1). But still, I adore the look of it, so that was worth a bit to me. :)

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm going to order a bike computer...either a Cateye Strada Wireless or just the cheap Velo 5. I really only care about speed and total distance, along with a trip calculator, so nothing fancy is needed. The wireless would be nice as it looks a lot better, but then I'd have to change the battery more often...not too sure yet.

Anyways, I had a question regarding bike computers. When the battery dies and you have to change it, will the computer maintain the total distance travelled? Also, will it stay configured for my bike? I really don't want to be resetting the computer to zero every time I change the battery.

Jobiensis

TheExodu5 said:
I'm going to order a bike computer...either a Cateye Strada Wireless or just the cheap Velo 5. I really only care about speed and total distance, along with a trip calculator, so nothing fancy is needed. The wireless would be nice as it looks a lot better, but then I'd have to change the battery more often...not too sure yet.

Anyways, I had a question regarding bike computers. When the battery dies and you have to change it, will the computer maintain the total distance travelled? Also, will it stay configured for my bike? I really don't want to be resetting the computer to zero every time I change the battery.

On the Cat Eyes I've had battery change resets everything. The batteries last a really long time though, although mine haven't been wireless.

Went to a local bike shop to look for a Trek Earl. Ended up ordering a Trek 7000. The Earl would have cost $400 whereas the 7000 is only going to set me back $350. I generally don't use gears on bikes but I guess its better to have and not need rather than need and not have.

Top Bottom