• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest tech flops of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

(These are in CHRONOLOGICAL order)

Dreamcast

Don't get us wrong. We loved the Dreamcast, which was originally released in 1998 and discontinued in the U.S. in 2001 (it was still sold in Japan until 2006), and still miss it. But it didn't make it.

Stand-alone DVD recorder

A lot of people thought the standalone DVD recorder was the second coming of the VCR but it didn't turn out that way. The DVD recorder was never that user-friendly, and digital DVRs from cable and satellite companies (along with Tivo) made them less compelling. Also, the real DVD burning action was taking place in the computer room, not the living room. That's still the case today, as the standalone DVD recorder market has dried up in the U.S.

Sony AIBO (robot dog)

SonyAibo2_540x405.jpg

DVD Audio/SACD

This was the format war that never bothered to declare a winner because no one cared about the outcome. However, at the beginning, there were high hopes that these two high-fidelity audio formats would offer a new and better way to listen to music. And although both SACD and DVD-Audio discs continue to be produced, neither format has attracted a wide audience.

Modo

You may not remember the Modo, developed by Scout Electromedia, but we do. A social networking device before social networking devices existed, the Modo, according to Wikipedia, used pager networks "to provide city-specific 'lifestyle' content such as restaurant & bar reviews, movie listings, in addition to original Scout-produced content." The New York Times called it "The PDA for the tragically hip" and billboards advertising the Modo appeared in Los Angeles, New York, Chicago and San Francisco

3Com Ergo Audrey (2000-2001)

3Com_Ergo_Audrey_540x540.jpg

Named for Audrey Hepburn, the 3Com Ergo Audrey was an Internet appliance that made its debut in October of 2000. According to Wikipedia, it could access the internet, send and receive e-mail, play audio and video, and synchronize with up to two Palm OS-based devices.

Apple Power Mac G4 Cube (2000-2001)

One of Apple's few major flops of the decade, the G4 Cube was a real dud, discontinued after only about a year. It was a beautiful-looking desktop computer, but it was overpriced and quirky (i.e., it didn't take standard full-length graphics cards) and didn't find a market.

DataPlay discs (2001-2001)

Dataplay_iRiver.jpg

The size of a quarter, the DataPlay disc was capable of holding 500MB of information. It won the "Best of Show" award at CES in 2001 but never made it to market. iRiver was scheduled to make a player, but it, too, was never released.

Sony MicroMV (2001-2006)

The tapes were smaller and the camcorders were, too. But the video from the MicroMV units wasn't as good as that from MiniDV cams--and they cost more. Then hard-drive and flash-enabled HD camcorders came along and MicroMV quickly became obsolete. (The last new MicroMV camcorder appeared in 2006).

Segway (2002-?)

To fans of the Segway, the famous two-wheeled, self-balancing electric vehicle is far from a flop. However, because it was so hyped at launch, with promises of changing how we live and build cities (Jeff Bezos said it would be "one of the most famous and anticipated product introductions of all time") many view its niche-status in the marketplace as a major disappointment

Microsoft Smart Display (2002-2003)

Microsoftmira_01_540x542.jpg

The Wikipedia entry says it all: "Smart Display was announced in early 2002, released in early 2003 and canceled in December 2003, having never achieved more than negligible market penetration." For those who don't remember exactly what Smart Display (codename Mira) was, the concept was a wireless monitor that detached from its base and turned into a tablet PC (that was unfortunately tethered back to your desktop computer). It was sluggish and buggy and was hurt by the slower 802.11b Wi-Fi connection of those years.

Nokia N-Gage (2003-?)

The N-Gage launch is one of the more memorable debacles in tech history as the original device--a combo phone/portable gaming system--had a very odd design for talking. You had to hold the unit vertically on its side, making it look like you were holding a taco. It also sparked "side-talking," which is immortalized on the side-talkin' Web site.

Microsoft SPOT Smart Watches (2004-2008)

Announced at CES in 2003, Smart watches, which receive tidbits of information over the air via FM radio frequencies, officially arrived in 2004 and were backed by a big marketing campaign. Some called them SPOT watches because they used Microsoft's Smart Personal Objects Technology, but whatever they were called, they didn't find a broad audience, even as Microsoft and its hardware partners managed to trim the size of the watches, reduce their cost, and include the basic version of MSN Direct for free. We liked the concept, but we knew the technology faced an uphill battle. Sure enough it succumbed to defeat, last year, though MSN Direct continues to serve existing customers.

The UMD (2004-?)

The UMD, a 1.8GB optical disc that looked like a mini CD or DVD, may have seemed cool at first but it quickly met with resistance. For starters, it created slow load times for games (especially compared to Nintendo's cartridge system) and UMD movies were overpriced (they should have been $8-$10). While Sony's stuck with the UMD--and will continue to do so for the immediate future--the upcoming PSP Go is UMD-less

SONY LocationFree TV (2004-?)

In middle of the decade, "place-shifting" was one of the hot tech terms, and when we first Sony's LocationFree TV our eyes opened pretty wide. The ability to stream what was on your cable or satellite box (or another video source) to a remote PC over the Internet, seemed like a real game-changer. And while Sony has come out with several versions and models of the LocationFree Player, it's been overshadowed by the Slingbox, which came out later (2006), and continues to wallow in virtual obscurity after initially making a big splash

Gizmondo (2005-2006)

Gizmondo was a portable gaming device that had built-in GPS. It was released in the U.S. in 2005 but didn't sell well and the company went bankrupt in 2006. Millions were spent developing and marketing Gizmondo and one of its executives, Stefan Eriksson, who famously wrecked his red Ferrari Enzo, was sentenced to prison for three years in California (he was released in January 2008) and is now back in jail in his native Sweden.

HD DVD (2006-2008)

We've got to hand it to Toshiba. It gave Sony a run for its money in the next-gen DVD format wars and actually had better (and cheaper) players in the early going. For a brief moment, it could have gone either way, but then Warner went Blu-ray exclusive, and it was game over.

The UMPC (2006-?)

SamsungultraUMPC.jpg

Originally hatched by Microsoft, Intel, Samsung, and other companies under the codename "Project Origami," the Ultra-Mobile PC made its way into the consumer's conscience in 2006. While the devices were cool on the surface, the concept was flawed from the outset because they just weren't that good and cost too much. The UMPC is the classic case of a tweener device (in terms of size) that just didn't have a real target market. Smarter smartphones like the new iPhone 3GS and cheaper but more usuable netbooks cut the legs out from under the UMPC before it could ever start walking. They're still around but we expect them to become extinct soon.

Apple TV (2007-?)

While its price is gradually coming down and its storage capacity is increasing, Apple TV still restricts you to using just iTunes and YouTube, which limits its appeal. In recent years, it's been one of Apple's more disappointing products, particularly when you consider how inviting its name sounds.

You can see more at this link

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Holy crap, N-Gage and side-talking! :lol Forgot about that atrocity.

tokkun

Segway was definitely the biggest flop in terms of failure to live up to hype. I remember before it was officially unveiled that people, in all seriousness, were predicting it would be some sort of personal jetpack :lol :lol

neptunes

Let's not forget WebTV

webtv.gif

_WEBTV.GIF

because who doesn't want to access the internet through the most slowest and mundane interface ever?

webtv_connecting.jpg

Viewt

The Segway is really one of the most tragic figures in transport history. It's a shitload of fun to ride (especially if you can override the speed blockers), but no matter what, you'll always look like a goddamn nerd on it.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Tideas said:
how is the PSP a flop if it has sold like 50 million worldwide?

Man thats gonna kick of a gaming debate take that shit to the gaming side man :D

Jasoco

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
(These are in CHRONOLOGICAL order)

Dreamcast

Don't get us wrong. We loved the Dreamcast, which was originally released in 1998 and discontinued in the U.S. in 2001 (it was still sold in Japan until 2006), and still miss it. But it didn't make it.
Can you count game consoles? I wouldn't.

Stand-alone DVD recorder

A lot of people thought the standalone DVD recorder was the second coming of the VCR but it didn't turn out that way. The DVD recorder was never that user-friendly, and digital DVRs from cable and satellite companies (along with Tivo) made them less compelling. Also, the real DVD burning action was taking place in the computer room, not the living room. That's still the case today, as the standalone DVD recorder market has dried up in the U.S.
I did. I owned one. It died, but I haven't thrown it away yet because I don't know where to recycle electronics. It was a LiteOn and worked well for the few months I owned it before I got a TiVo and a computer with a large HD and an eyeTV to record TV right to my computer HD.

Sony AIBO (robot dog)

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim//2009/07/14/SonyAibo2_540x405.jpg[IMG][/quote]
"ROBO-PUPPY COMMENCING THREE-HOUR BARKING SESSION.. BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK! BARK!"

[quote][B]Apple Power Mac G4 Cube (2000-2001[/B])

One of Apple's few major flops of the decade, the G4 Cube was a real dud, discontinued after only about a year. It was a beautiful-looking desktop computer, but it was overpriced and quirky (i.e., it didn't take standard full-length graphics cards) and didn't find a market.[/quote]
It was still awesome. And lives on in the Mac mini. It was also the computer that made me finally leave Windows behind. Even though I got an iMac instead and never got my Cube, it was still a life-changing device for me.

[quote][B]Segway (2002-?)[/B]

To fans of the Segway, the famous two-wheeled, self-balancing electric vehicle is far from a flop. However, because it was so hyped at launch, with promises of changing how we live and build cities (Jeff Bezos said it would be "one of the most famous and anticipated product introductions of all time") many view its niche-status in the marketplace as a major disappointment[/quote]
I remember the hype. "It will change the way you live. Cities will be built around them." They are basically just a modern version of something you'd see in a 1920's imagining of the year 2000. I still see people with them once in a while. Which isn't bad in a relatively small town of Doylestown, PA.

[quote][B]Nokia N-Gage (2003-?)[/B]

The N-Gage launch is one of the more memorable debacles in tech history as the original device--a combo phone/portable gaming system--had a very odd design for talking. You had to hold the unit vertically on its side, making it look like you were holding a taco. It also sparked "side-talking," which is immortalized on the side-talkin' Web site.[/quote]
Called its death the day it was released.

[quote][B]The UMD (2004-?)[/B]

The UMD, a 1.8GB optical disc that looked like a mini CD or DVD, may have seemed cool at first but it quickly met with resistance. For starters, it created slow load times for games (especially compared to Nintendo's cartridge system) and UMD movies were overpriced (they should have been $8-$10). While Sony's stuck with the UMD--and will continue to do so for the immediate future--the upcoming PSP Go is UMD-less[/quote]
How old is this? Seeing as there's now gonna be a UMD-based new PSP after the Go.

[quote][B]HD DVD (2006-2008)[/B]

We've got to hand it to Toshiba. It gave Sony a run for its money in the next-gen DVD format wars and actually had better (and cheaper) players in the early going. For a brief moment, it could have gone either way, but then Warner went Blu-ray exclusive, and it was game over.[/quote]
I admit, I was a HD-DVD supporter and bought the drive for my Xbox and had a whopping 6 movies. I have since sold two of the movies on Half.com and will probably sell the rest of it just to get rid of it.

[quote][B]Apple TV (2007-?)[/B]

While its price is gradually coming down and its storage capacity is increasing, Apple TV still restricts you to using just iTunes and YouTube, which limits its appeal. In recent years, it's been one of Apple's more disappointing products, particularly when you consider how inviting its name sounds.[/quote]
Uh, NO. The AppleTV is still being sold. It is not a flop yet. It should not be on this list. Until Apple stops selling it, it is still very much alive.

[QUOTE=XCell9200]I use apple tv :D[/quote]
I have one, but haven't used it for a while. Still not sure if I want to sell it or not.

[quote]Mac Mini should be on that list..[/QUOTE]
No it shouldn't. WTF? It was just updated. Apple cares very much about it and it sells very well. It's kind of like Steve's baby. I'd rather the mini survive over the AppleTV.

[QUOTE=neptunes]Let's not forget WebTV[/QUOTE]
We had friends who had one of those. Ugh, even back then their support for then current standards was shitty.

Raistlin

I still don't understand why people list UMD. As a movie format? Well sure, but there never really was a serious push for it. It was just kind if thrown out there because the could.

I'd say it's like calling MiniDisc a flop because the audio discs didn't go anywhere ... but that really isn't the correct analogy. It's like saying the DS's cartridges are a flop because the anime movie/episode, etc carts they sold didn't take off. Yeah, it's 'worse' than the DS thing because there was some actual studio involvement, but it still doesn't matter. It was never a major endeavor.

Viewt

Are Tablets really that much of a flop? I know it's a niche market, but I always thought of them as having carved out their own little piece of the pie.

Guzim

ToxicAdam said:
Segway (2002-?)

To fans of the Segway, the famous two-wheeled, self-balancing electric vehicle is far from a flop. However, because it was so hyped at launch, with promises of changing how we live and build cities (Jeff Bezos said it would be "one of the most famous and anticipated product introductions of all time") many view its niche-status in the marketplace as a major disappointment

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,186660-1,00.html

As big a deal as the PC, said Steve Jobs; maybe bigger than the Internet, said John Doerr, the venture capitalist behind Netscape, Amazon.com and now Ginger.
:lol :lol :lol

Osuwari

c'mon, standalone DVD recorders aren't a failure. they might have a low sucess rate but they still fill a niche that those other devices can't.

i have 2 and use them a lot since shit like tivo, DVRs and the the like aren't readily available in my country/are making their way onto the market now/are too expensive in comparison.
i have the older one since like august 2007 and the other one since 1 year ago because of the internal HDD because i didn't like running out of DVDs at the worst moments and the HDD one lets me edit content.
they're also very useful for recording videogame stuff like speedruns.

though i understand why they're so scarce now.

zip_250mb_usb_drive_media.jpg

LOL I had to use these things in college. Only 100MB and there were different ones formatted for PC and Mac. Thank God for the USB thumb drive!

Alucrid

Banned
worldrunover said:

LOL I had to use these things in college. Only 100MB and there were different ones formatted for PC and Mac. Thank God for the USB thumb drive!

Holy shit, I remember using these things too. They sucked.

I'm going to say that the powermat is going to flop.

Zaptruder

Banned
Guzim said:

My prediction is that the Segway is a technology that will make a resurgence in the future.

However it is an idea that relies heavily on infrastructure and will be an element that will help to reshape how cities are built and thought out, but not the only one.

Maybe an urban metro area where the segways are the only personal transportation units available; rent them at the carparks and use them around the area; once you arrive at where you're going, just dock them, and walk off... come back, grab another segway and go back to the carpark or whereever you're going next.

And what would be the point? I suppose a metropolitan area completely free of large vehicles would be pretty awesome.

(But how do they move large packages around?)

worldrunover said:

I hate these things. Slow, clunky, and click, click, click, click click, click... Ugh.

Vyer

Viewt said:
The Segway is really one of the most tragic figures in transport history. It's a shitload of fun to ride (especially if you can override the speed blockers), but no matter what, you'll always look like a goddamn nerd on it.

I have to agree. I had never encountered one until a vacation a few years ago. It is actually fun to ride. A shame.

Guzim said:
As big a deal as the PC, said Steve Jobs; maybe bigger than the Internet, said John Doerr, the venture capitalist behind Netscape, Amazon.com and now Ginger.

:lol :lol :lol

I can't believe someone would actually say that. I have no doubt that the internet is the most important invention in the history of humanity, you have to have some serious balls to go and say that something is bigger than the internet. In the last 30 years or so the internet has completely revolutionized our society. I can't think of anything that hasn't been changed by the spread of the internet.

smh

yacobod

Banned
i regret purchasing my hd-dvd player and movies, but it was a really good format, but now i have a pretty nice redundant collection of movies, hopefully my player doesnt break anytime soon

Aegus

Messypandas said:
Did Segways ever make it out of the states either? In the U.K i have never seen someone on one. Except Iron Monger in Iron Man

AFAIK they are illegal in the UK. I've seen a few in Berlin near the place where Hitler killed himself though!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
eggandI said:
microsoft-surface-3.jpg

Microsoft Surface, anyone? I've never seen one of these. Anywhere.
umm, probably a tad too early to call that a flop....

Alucrid said:
I'm going to say that the powermat is going to flop.
This. It sounds neat until you realize you need attachments for each device. Companies are too into making their own proprietary accessories for anything like this to be practical.

deadbeef

eggandI said:
microsoft-surface-3.jpg

Microsoft Surface, anyone? I've never seen one of these. Anywhere.

I've spent some time playing with one - they're pretty cool. I'd love to have in place of a coffee table.

Socreges

Banned
Messypandas said:
Did Segways ever make it out of the states either? In the U.K i have never seen someone on one. Except Iron Monger in Iron Man
Oh yeah they did:

I was having a drink on a patio with a friend in Madrid when several black guys ran by with black market paraphernalia, laughing. A minute later three police officers, chasing after them, rode by (slowly) in decked-out Segways. I saw mall security guards in Lisbon using them, too. Just beyond stupid.

Alucrid

Banned
demon said:
This. It sounds neat until you realize you need attachments for each device. Companies are too into making their own proprietary accessories for anything like this to be practical.

Exactly. When I first saw it I was under the impression that somehow it charged it just by placing the item on the pad, which was incredible to me. Then I found out you had to buy cases that you put onto the device, which usually is half the cost of the pad itself. Lame.

Socreges said:
Oh yeah they did:

I was having a drink on a patio with a friend in Madrid when several black guys ran by with black market paraphernalia, laughing. A minute later three police officers, chasing after them, rode by (slowly) in decked-out Segways. I saw mall security guards in Lisbon using them, too. Just beyond stupid.

That's a pretty good strategy. Laughter decreases your ability to flee.

Of course, one could always elude the police by doing something radical like finding a flight of stairs.

CTLance

I wonder if BeOS can still be counted in this category. BeOS R5 was released in 2000, after all. Such a sleek OS. I'm still heartbroken that Apple went the NEXT route, regardless of justification and eventual success.

Ah well.
19AL

Rest in peace, li'l buddy.

One of these days I will install Haiku, and it will be glorious and heartbreaking at the same time.
Megadragon15 said:
I hate these things. Slow, clunky, and click, click, click, click click, click... Ugh.
There was the LS-120, too. Such a nice device, but due to CD-Rs getting affordable nothing came of it.

I still have a bunch of the disks in a case somewhere, the drive didn't survive a fall from my desk.

Timo

Holy shit I hated WebTV. I did make my first website on there though, it was a gallery of Power Rangers images. Good times.

Zeppu

Alucrid said:
Exactly. When I first saw it I was under the impression that somehow it charged it just by placing the item on the pad, which was incredible to me. Then I found out you had to buy cases that you put onto the device, which usually is half the cost of the pad itself. Lame.

Completely ignoring the cost, if i'm attaching something to my device to charge it i may as well plug it into the wall.

I loved the idea of the Powermat but in order to be useful it has to be something that sits there, on my desk or on a coffee table and whenever you absentmindedly put your hero or your DS on top of it it would charge.

Raistlin

worldrunover said:

How is this a flop though? At it's time, there really wasn't a viable alternative for large file transfers.

Burai

shitonmychest57
worldrunover said:

Tch, kids.

The Zip drive was amazing for the time. We didn't have writable CDs or portable HDDs or USB thumbdrives (we didn't even have USB ports!)

100MB in 1994/1995 when these drives were released was massive compared to the 1.4MB you got from a floppy disk and would continue to be for some years until CD writers and media came down in price.

Also, Surface is still a very new technology. To call it a flop is like calling a 2 month old baby a failure at life because it doesn't have a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom