• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biggest tech flops of the decade

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

WindowsMEbOXcovershot.png

nightez

Banned
Never thought the Aibo was a flop. They was good demand and it was selling out. Basically Sony Corp restructured and focused on their main businesses areas, cutting off all the side projects.

tino

Banned
The biggest flop/disappointment was OLPC project, being run to the ground by that guy. Now its deader than dead.

I think MS Surface has more potential applications for businesses rather than regular consumers. I think it could be very useful in a board room setting or a hospital reception where information needs to be processed and transferred quickly from person to person. I'd hesitate to call it a flop just because we have yet to see it gain popularity among the general public. The technology behind has many potential uses outside of what MS has advertised, particularly in conjunction with other emerging technologies (RFID for instance).

Onix said:
I was about to post this ...

nuon.jpg

... but it appears Nuon hit towards the end of '99. So close!
I bought this on Blu-Ray a year and a half ago for $30 and it doesn't even work right on the PS3.

Burai

shitonmychest57
tino said:
The biggest flop/disappointment was OLPC project, being run to the ground by that guy. Now its deader than dead.

That guy? If you want to thank anyone for the death of OLPC, it's Intel. The idea of having AMD chips in a non-profit charity laptop upset them too much, so they came out with their own and made serious cash with it, killing the charity in the process.

Raistlin

Do unreleased items count? If so, I may have the winner.

Larrabee

If it does end up canceled, given the rumored R&D ... that's a pretty huge fucking flop.

mrkgoo

Burai said:
Tch, kids.

The Zip drive was amazing for the time. We didn't have writable CDs or portable HDDs or USB thumbdrives (we didn't even have USB ports!)

100MB in 1994/1995 when these drives were released was massive compared to the 1.4MB you got from a floppy disk and would continue to be for some years until CD writers and media came down in price.

Also, Surface is still a very new technology. To call it a flop is like calling a 2 month old baby a failure at life because it doesn't have a job.

Ya.

Would I be right in assuming that those poo-pooing zip drives never really had to deal with floppy drives? 100MB was mind blowing. Even when CD started coming out, the first ones weren't writeable.

When USB keys were introduced, I knew they were going to be come the de facto standard for portable digital data. So sweet. Can't believe we're now typically walking around with 8-16GB on your keychain. More if you really want.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Next up:
Google Wave

Don't shoot me! :p

The gap between media hype and apparent user feedback has been interesting. Maybe it's just a case of the critics speaking loudest, but I think it perhaps has a major 'simplicity' problem.

mrkgoo

Onix said:
mrkgoo, You have to understand most people on Gaf are young.

Amen.

While we're on the topic, I can't help but feel that the new iPod shuffle without integrated controls will be failure unless they incorporate touch controls onto the surface in the next iteration (that would make it go to actually awesome, and they can have it be like an improving design). It's like Apple have gone one step too far in the minimalisation. Personally, I like the design for what it is, but I see SO many returned 3rd gen shuffles.

Averon

I still remember the absolutely ridiculous hype the Segway had before its revelation. The media hyped it as some sort of "game changer". And when it was revealed on GMA, all the host could say was "that's it?" :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
rezuth said:
The first "Apple" phone, hyped as hell :lol
The ROKR was fuckawesome.
My buddy had one, it was so badass.

nightez said:
Never thought the Aibo was a flop. They was good demand and it was selling out. Basically Sony Corp restructured and focused on their main businesses areas, cutting off all the side projects.

This.
It's also a very valuable/cheap solution in applied robotics/artificial intelligence.
Idiots.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
thesoapster said:
Yeah, I'd have to go along with that. Vista's launch was so horribly marred by bad publicity (that and it's a fucking pig of an OS, and actually feels that way).

except vista wasn't a failure by any stretch of the imagination. it just wasn't as successful as the last 3 main OS sweeps, but that still doesn't constitute calling it a failure.

they still made a lot of money off of it.

ToxicAdam

Facebook Beacon (2007)

Beacon was a part of Facebook's advertisement system that sent data from external websites to Facebook, ostensibly for the purpose of allowing targeted advertisements and allowing users to share their activities with their friends. Certain activities on partner sites were published to a user's News Feed. Beacon was launched on November 6, 2007 with 44 partner websites.[1] The controversial service, which became the target of a class action lawsuit, was shut down in September 2009.

Beacon_motivational_poster.jpg

Cre8txt Keyboard (2007)

This tiny keyboard lets you type on a PC as you would on a mobile phone. Yes! No longer do you have to reach for that convenient "e" button - you can press the 3 key twice instead.

it_photo_12901_52.jpg

ToxicAdam

e6yscn.jpg

CueCat (1999-2001)

A device created for no existing demand. You could scan a barcode from a magazine and it would take you to the products webpage.

late 2000, advertisements containing CueCat barcodes briefly appeared in some high-circulation U.S. mass-market periodicals, notably Parade magazine, Forbes magazine and Wired magazine. For a time, RadioShack published catalogs containing these barcodes, and even distributed CueCat devices at no charge. CueCats were also bulk mailed (unsolicited) to certain mailing lists, such as subscribers of technology magazines, notably Wired magazine. For roughly a year, starting in October 2000, The Dallas Morning News and other Belo-owned newspapers added the barcodes next to major articles (Belo had invested in Digital Convergence).

edit: whew, that was a close one.

Espn phone. They invested 150 million. They needed 500,000 subscibers to break even they got about 30,000 before killing it. A total failure

DMczaf

goldenticket said:
Espn phone. They invested 150 million. They needed 500,000 subscibers to break even they got about 30,000 before killing it. A total failure

Holy crap, I forgot about that one :lol

14687.jpg

:lol

thesoapster said:
Yeah, I'd have to go along with that. Vista's launch was so horribly marred by bad publicity (that and it's a fucking pig of an OS, and actually feels that way).

I still don't get the hate. And I don't think you can call it a flop. There are tens if not hundreds of millions PCs running Vista.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
worldrunover said:
zip_250mb_usb_drive_media.jpg

LOL I had to use these things in college. Only 100MB and there were different ones formatted for PC and Mac. Thank God for the USB thumb drive!

Zip drives weren't a flop. IOMEGA made a fuckload of money off of them they just became outdated as hard drives and flash memory prices came down.

Now the Jazz drive? That was a flop.

nyong

Banned
I was a huge fan of Vista. The only issue I had with the transition from an XP PC was that my sound card stopped working. I can't believe how much influence the media has on public perception. Half of the complaints I heard were from people who had never seen or used the stupid thing.

avaya

I always find these lists funny because they attach no monetary value to the "failures"

DVD recorders are actually hugely successful in Japan but they are hyrbid DVRs effectively.

In terms of money spent the biggest failures this decade have been Vista, PS3 and HD-DVD and Ngage. Vista was a failure because corporate did not upgrade, not because of the petty squabbles on the internets. PS3 is a failure because...because it was in so many ways what the PS2 wasn't. HD-DVD, never stood a chance from the beginning and at no-point during the ridiculous war did it have a chance of winning. Ngage lol.

The rest of the OP list is comical because the investment behind those technologies is so minor that they are essentially irrelevant.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
goldenticket said:

That shit wasn't just a phone.. they launched their own cell phone service.

Holy fuck what a terrible idea. It mucked up Sprotscenter too because every other segment was shilling ESPN's new phone carrier.

Nabs

gofreak said:
Next up:
Google Wave

Don't shoot me! :p

The gap between media hype and apparent user feedback has been interesting. Maybe it's just a case of the critics speaking loudest, but I think it perhaps has a major 'simplicity' problem.

the only problem w/ wave is that a shit ton of people got invites who have no use for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom