• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

bittersweet: use your keyboard and mouse on xbox and ps2

Joe

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3495

smartjoy-frag-xbox.jpg
smartjoy-frag-ps2.jpg

hopefully this cant be used on xbox live.

Sounds worthless, though. I mean, the control code in all current XBOX games (and those PS2 games without explicit kb/m support) would still have view-movement capped at a maximum rate equalling the full tilt of the analog stick... Then, you'd also lose the analog movement in favor of on/off digital control on a keyboard...

Unless there are actually games that will allow for their use with specific support.

Tellaerin

Joe said:
http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3495

smartjoy-frag-xbox.jpg
smartjoy-frag-ps2.jpg

Then by the same token, you should also hope that arcade sticks can't be used on Live for any online fighting games. They also give players an 'unfair advantage' by making the game easier to control. :p And PC FPS developers better start making their games autodetect peripherals like the Belkin Nostromo controller, and locking out users who try to play online with them, too. :p

Stryder

Joe said:
I don't think there'd be any advantage, as I can't imagine that the thumbstick speed settings will translate well enough to the mouse for it to be as natural as a PC game.. I mean, the game (I presume we're talking about Halo) is made for a controller, I don't think there would be any mobility disadvantages compared to other control methods.

I could be wrong though of course :D

Just watched the Halo vid...I dunno... I can hit headshots pretty consistently with the controller... Nothing in the vid seemed to indicate better accuracy with the mouse... I'll wait to see what the impressions are on it.

Joe

the advantage of a mouse and keyboard over controller for fps is far greater than the advantage of arcade stick over controller for fighting games.

hey, i hope this doesnt give people an advantage but the oppurtunity is there. i guess we just gotta wait and see.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
If it lets you do quick 180 turns or quick relexes that would be impossible to do on a controller, then I'd get one...but the videos don't show any of that. Like MightyHedgehog said, seems like the turning rate is still gonna be capped

Dujour

Banned
I put the look sensitivty in halo to 10, which makes me a devil at close range, but sniping a moving target is almost impossible.

Kordos

Society said:
I already use a Keyboard on my Xbox... without any adapter.

The mouse, specifically mouse-look, is the important part.

In terms of an FPS, a keyboard alone would be disadvantaged vs. a dual-analog-stick controller.

-Kordos

Slo

So does anybody have one? I'd like to try one out, but I'm skeptical, and it sounds like it might be a pain in the ass to bind the controller actions to the keyboard/mouse.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Kordos said:
The mouse, specifically mouse-look, is the important part.

In terms of an FPS, a keyboard alone would be disadvantaged vs. a dual-analog-stick controller.

-Kordos

True. I never looked for a mouse server, did not need one for what I was doing.

Mzo

I have doubts that using a mouse through this adapter will feel right. Halo does some subtle changes to the control and speed (slower when an enemy is around, faster when walking around alone, etc.) that could interfere.

I'll just stick to the pad.

Someone post impressions if they get one. I'm skeptical too. Especially since if it worked so well, Lik Sang would have posted Socom movies that were more than straight walking and subtle aim shifts. They be showing it off spinning left and right and demonstrating the accuracy on the fly.

BuddyC

I'll post impressions when I get them. They're not supposed to ship until the end of October though.

I sincerely hope these devices support Optical Mice via a USB->PS/2 conveter.

edit:
# Compatible with standard PS/2 Mice, incl. USB Mice with USB to PS/2 Adapter
# Compatible with Optical and Wireless Mice
Oh goodie.

Top Bottom