• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne |OT+5| Grant Us Eyes!

cj_iwakura

Are you on NG or NG+?

He is hard no doubts about it. Relentless like Champion Gundyr. His first phase - you should be able to not get hit even once or at least only use 2-3 vials. Every single attack in his first phase is dodge'able and punishable - but sometimes you have to immediately roll twice towards him.

His 2nd phase is kind of pandemonium. You can get lucky and make him enter 2nd phase when he is at 30% health instead of 50% if you can stagger him just before transformation.

Non tips for 2nd phase as I just got lucky and kinda dodged like maniac landing blows only when it was "safe" (still got punished). Remember he has only combos in 2nd phase so never attack after first blow from his combo. Your best bet is when he twohands his cleaver and kind of chops the ground.

Then I watched some NG+7 videos and generally people:

- fight him in the water (why?)
- backstab him all the time (I never backstabbed him)
NG. I'm getting better, but the second form is, yeah, chaos.

L.O.R.D

Headless Bloodletting Beast , DONE

wow,he was easy,i thought he will be super hard
took me 3 tries because i chickened out on the last hit and he one hit KO me.

also,the queen is extremely easy,

WTF? why the first boss is extra hard and the rest are easy?

now time to get the platinum.
only the final boss is left.

grmlin

Here I am, fighting Orphan again, too.

Anyone enjoying this fight? For me it hast written bullshit all over it. Same level of bullshit as the Nameless King in DS3.

I know I will beat him after some tries, but I also know that it will be just like, yeah, whatever.

I really love the whole Fishing Hamlet level, but Orphan is just aweful. The sound is really annoying, it's chaos, the camera can't keep up, all in all not a good ending of this otherwise amazing DLC.

ChrisD

Walk around behind him in phase two while relentlessly attacking, that worked for me. Still wondering if his AI broke though...

Phase one is really fun imo, is pretty fair game all-in-all. Two was dumb until I just walked in circles. :x

Orphan is easier in water because the lightning radiates from the body of Kos. When you're so far away you no longer need to dodge the lightning; you can simply fight between the shockwaves.

Because the lightning attack from his second phase (one of his most bullshit-ish moves) originates from the corpse of Kos/Kosm, so if you're really far in the water –it has an invisible wall limit, but no falling– you can dodge it much easier.

WHAT. I never noticed that, shit.

Just fought Bloodletting Beast for the first time. Intense fight. Camera plus charge attack is a bad combo. Did not expect that grab attack from between his legs, all I could do was laugh. Good fun though.

Edit: Then went and fought Gehrman to the song Hearts On Fire and the fight began right at the start of the song and finished at the end. So accidentally well timed.

L.O.R.D

Hats off,fellow Hunters

C6AlJvlWUAA4e-u.jpg

that's was a good game

when i first finished the game,immediately bought the scythe,however i didn't get the trophy for all weapons,so there must be missing one,i don't remember missing one,then i saw that i was missing the wheel.
i was sure that i got it when i found that hunter dead,maybe i should killed him first?

anyway,thank you everyone for the help,not gonna bother with the rest of the chalice dungeons.
i have big backlogs i need to make it less.

Just fought Bloodletting Beast for the first time. Intense fight. Camera plus charge attack is a bad combo. Did not expect that grab attack from between his legs, all I could do was laugh. Good fun though.

Edit: Then went and fought Gehrman to the song Hearts On Fire and the fight began right at the start of the song and finished at the end. So accidentally well timed.

oh,that in the lower area? not the headless one? i was also surprised when he grabbed me when i was below him,the headless one doesn't grab you,but he is much harder.

Anyone enjoying this fight? For me it hast written bullshit all over it. Same level of bullshit as the Nameless King in DS3.

I know I will beat him after some tries, but I also know that it will be just like, yeah, whatever.

I really love the whole Fishing Hamlet level, but Orphan is just aweful. The sound is really annoying, it's chaos, the camera can't keep up, all in all not a good ending of this otherwise amazing DLC.

I only started enjoying it once I got as aggressive as him. He's definitely one of the few fights in the game that truly benefits from Bloodborne's more offensive-minded combat.

Also, just got past Layer One of Defiled. Not ready for Defiled Watchdog or Amygdala again.

grmlin

I only started enjoying it once I got as aggressive as him. He's definitely one of the few fights in the game that truly benefits from Bloodborne's more offensive-minded combat.

Also, just got past Layer One of Defiled. Not ready for Defiled Watchdog or Amygdala again.
Only because you find a way to deal with him doesn't make the boss any better. It's terrible and I really enjoy a challenge.

Dave_6

Just curious as I'm not even halfway yet on my first playthrough; how does NG+ work? Will I start over at the beginning with all the weapons I got from the first time?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

I like Orphan overall. Definitely a hard fight, and he kicked my ass for hours. He does benefit from sneaking in little hits between attacks. If you don't really really hunt for openings to sneak in even small hits, it's hard to harm him much because he's so fast.

It's also nice that he can be parried, but it's not so easy to do that you can rely on it.

Just curious as I'm not even halfway yet on my first playthrough; how does NG+ work? Will I start over at the beginning with all the weapons I got from the first time?
IIRC you keep your levels and all equipment except for certain progression items like door keys. So yes, you'll have all your existing weapons and armor.

All enemies are stronger though, and give more souls to match.

grmlin

First. Orphan can one hit kill you and that's utter bullshit no 1. and he can combo you in a way so you can't escape. And rng decides about the follow ups what makes it even more ridiculous.

This, the fucking screams and the camera piss me off. As always with this fuck. I hate it. Really hate it.

Only because you find a way to deal with him doesn't make the boss any better. It's terrible and I really enjoy a challenge.

Get a weapon that can stagger him. I beat him again yesterday with a +10 LHS, and its greatsword mode staggered him in two hits during both phases.

grmlin

Mine staggers. Sometimes. Rng FTW

I think I'll restart my PS4 tomorrow and see if it helps with the rng I get at the moment. I circled this fuck for minutes without a single opening. How is this fun. It's terrible design. Nothing else.

Dave_6

IIRC you keep your levels and all equipment except for certain progression items like door keys. So yes, you'll have all your existing weapons and armor.

All enemies are stronger though, and give more souls to match.

Nice, thanks. I'm just trying to figure out how I could use each of the weapons with them leveled up so I guess that's how.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Mine staggers. Sometimes. Rng FTW

I think I'll restart my PS4 tomorrow and see if it helps with the rng I get at the moment. I circled this fuck for minutes without a single opening. How is this fun. It's terrible design. Nothing else.
I find most of his openings quite small, but some are large enough to get a backstab on once you know where to dodge. A small, fast weapon seems to help get those little hits in. I used the BoM against him.

Some of his attacks combo, yes, but I think most attacks shouldn't oneshot you unless it's that really really delayed overhead smash on counterhit. That one hits really hard.

Keep in mind that mashing dodge while you're down makes you get up faster. That can let you escape some followups. If you're not knocked down, some followup moves that look like they're going to combo you can actually be dodged to save yourself as long as you time that second dodge right. Many of the DLC bosses have moves where you can take a hit to the face and escape death by dodging the followup, as long as you don't panic dodge immediately after taking the hit.

grmlin

I find most of his openings quite small, but some are large enough to get a backstab on once you know where to dodge. A small, fast weapon seems to help get those little hits in. I used the BoM against him.

Some of his attacks combo, yes, but I think most attacks shouldn't oneshot you unless it's that really really delayed overhead smash on counterhit. That one hits really hard.

Keep in mind that mashing dodge while you're down makes you get up faster. That can let you escape some followups. If you're not knocked down, some followup moves that look like they're going to combo you can actually be dodged to save yourself as long as you time that second dodge right. Many of the DLC bosses have moves where you can take a hit to the face and escape death by dodging the followup, as long as you don't panic dodge immediately after taking the hit.

I know all that, and still, it's only working sometimes. Thats why it's bullshit. It's totally random at times.

I stopped trying, I don't want to get mad at a game I love so much because of one boss. But Orphan is fake hard, not skill hard like the other bosses. That's what I hate most about it.

cj_iwakura

I've been using the Threaded Cane. Works good on the first form... second not so much.

Nev

Banned
I like Orphan, I think he's one of the best bosses in the game. Second phase kinda ruins it if you don't know the water "trick" because the lightning attack is a bit on the bullshit side, but other than that it is great.

Definitely better than the overrated Maria.

grmlin

I like Orphan, I think he's one of the best bosses in the game. Second phase kinda ruins it if you don't know the water "trick" because the lightning attack is a bit on the bullshit side, but other than that it is great.

Definitely better than the overrated Maria.

I don't get it. Even trying to look at it somewhat objectively, there is nothing fun, beautiful or interesting. There isn't even good music, it's only this idiot screaming. I think it's the worst boss of the souls games I played.

Ludwig the rape horse for example was a nightmare, I tried to kill him for a week I think on my first playthrough. But hell I don't feel mad about it, the fight was awesome. The music, the visuals, everything. And I died because I played bad. Not because of bullshit.

oh,that in the lower area? not the headless one? i was also surprised when he grabbed me when i was below him,the headless one doesn't grab you,but he is much harder.

Not the headless one just the regular version for now. Dreading the later bosses of the Chalice Dungeons from what I've read here, but looking forward to it.

About Orphan of Kos, It's the only boss in the main game I've not beaten. It just got to the point where I thought 'fuck this, theres no more bosses after this to fight, whats the point?' I'm going to try again, but I never found the fight fun like I did with Maria or Gehrman or most any other Souls boss.

L.O.R.D

Not the headless one just the regular version for now. Dreading the later bosses of the Chalice Dungeons from what I've read here, but looking forward to it.

About Orphan of Kos, It's the only boss in the main game I've not beaten. It just got to the point where I thought 'fuck this, theres no more bosses after this to fight, whats the point?' I'm going to try again, but I never found the fight fun like I did with Maria or Gehrman or most any other Souls boss.

If you want to get the platinum,you are going to love a certain Pthumerian Descendant.

CalhounBurns

Neo Member
Finally decided to take on Rom last night, yikes. Got to go farm for blood vials now.

From the Central Yharnham lamp go through the shortcut gate and down towards the brick trolls. Take them out, they usually yield 2 vials each. Take the elevator down to the bridge but turn right and take the ladder down instead. Go through the tunnel and take out the boar who will usually yield 2 vials then continue through the tunnel and take the exit on the left wall. Go up the ladder to the opposite side of the bridge. The troll will unleash the flaming boulder and always get hit by it, knocking him down and nearly killing him. Finish him off (more vials) and the shield villager. The boulder will almost always kill everything on the bridge and one of them will usually drop a vial.

At this point you can either run down the bridge to collect what may have dropped and double back to take out the 2 enemies just before Gascoigne or you can get them first and then head to the bridge. If you're doing multiple runs it's faster to use a bold hunters mark to reset but if you're good to go you can either head back to the Central Yharnham lamp or the Oedon Chapel one, depending on how you ended the run.

Dave_6

Yeah I pretty much already run that route or one very similar. I've never ran this low before but Rom kicked my ass and I'm down to 4, lol.

tamminen

I wanna upgrade a whole bunch of weapons to +9, +10 if possible to try them out with arcane based build. Where do I farm for mats? Ive done the main story except the last boss and killed the first DLC boss.

Ive mained Ludwigs sword and Tonitrus pretty much the whole game and I want to expand. The Wheel feels destructive even without proper gems and upgrades!

Nev

Banned
The DLC areas and the messengers in the Hunter Dream will give you materials for +9. I wouldn't recommend +10 to just try out some weapon because the damage increase isn't that significant but the blood rock is expensive. +9 is fine to mess around for a while.

The Wheel is cool but it isn't very good because in this game heavy weapons don't make much sense. Most of the enemies get staggered even with the blades of mercy, so the heavy weapons are basically pointless since you can deal much more damage with fast weapons and still stagger most enemies.

It has good synergy with arcane in its transformed state though.

Milijango

When is it ever safe to attack Laurence's second form?

Basically after any attack. He has no combos at all other than his crawling moves. That said he does like to follow up some of his attacks with a swipe, but you have lots of time to react and can usually get a hit in between attacks.

The swipe with his smaller arm has an extremely long recovery time, but if you stay close you can punish everything he does. Always dodge to the side if you don't want to get obliterated by his crawl or the overhead slam. The crawl is always either 3 stomps (usually with a swipe follow-up) or 7 where the final stomp is delayed.

You need to know how to dodge everything if you're up close, of course, but he has less than 10 moves and none of them require good reflexes.

cj_iwakura

Basically after any attack. He has no combos at all other than his crawling moves. That said he does like to follow up some of his attacks with a swipe, but you have lots of time to react and can usually get a hit in between attacks.

The swipe with his smaller arm has an extremely long recovery time, but if you stay close you can punish everything he does. Always dodge to the side if you don't want to get obliterated by his crawl or the overhead slam. The crawl is always either 3 stomps (usually with a swipe follow-up) or 7 where the final stomp is delayed.

You need to know how to dodge everything if you're up close, of course, but he has less than 10 moves and none of them require good reflexes.

My big problem is even getting in close, the only time I've managed to safely land a hit is if I happen to be on the side when he starts spraying lava.

Milijango

My big problem is even getting in close, the only time I've managed to safely land a hit is if I happen to be on the side when he starts spraying lava.

Dodge his attacks sideways, but close the distance while he's recovering from his last attack. Alternatively, you can just let him come to you. Once you're up close the only time you should run away is if you're close to the walls and won't be able to escape a crawl attack.

This video should give you an idea of the distance you want to maintain. Not every weapon can be as aggressive as the Threaded Cane but the positioning is useful to know.

cj_iwakura

Dodge his attacks sideways, but close the distance while he's recovering from his last attack. Alternatively, you can just let him come to you. Once you're up close the only time you should run away is if you're close to the walls and won't be able to escape a crawl attack.

This video should give you an idea of the distance you want to maintain. Not every weapon can be as aggressive as the Threaded Cane but the positioning is useful to know.

I feel like we're talking about a different boss... If I get even close to him, I'm dead.

Ah, that video helps me get an idea of how to dodge the lava. Thanks.

cj_iwakura

And done. Thanks, this was invaluable. Just need to find all the weapons and the DLC is done.

Milijango

AB in a nutshell

15%2B-%2B1

I hate that boss, so little window to attack unless you use LHB

The OP strat for that boss is to beasthood up with the Saw Cleaver, stand underneath him and roll like a madman whenever he does something. In addition to being the ugliest enemy in the game, there's no way to beat him that doesn't feel janky.

Top Bottom