• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Blue Bell returning to stores Aug. 31 following listeria recall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blue Bell ice cream will return to stores at the end of August, months after a national recall for listeria concerns.

The Texas-based company will roll out its products again in five phases starting on Aug. 31. Blue Bell's plan to sell ice cream in parts of 15 states will "take some time" as it attempts to reboot production facilities, said Ricky Dickson, Blue Bell vice president of sales and marketing, in a video posted Monday.

"We've been working to make our facilities even better and to ensure everything produced is safe, wholesome and the highest quality for you to enjoy," he said.
http://nbcnews.to/1flpLpX

This is gonna return so wildly popular. I knew it'd never hurt business.

People who thought they would not recover from this are going to be wrong. Social media is universally thrilled that Blue Bell is coming back. No one seems to care about the listeria incident. Sales will probably break records in September*

*In the select markets it's available in

JMDSO

Unconfirmed Member
image001.jpg

DOWN

Banned
They talked about this a couple weeks ago and I purposefully didn't make a thread because I ain't about that fatally negligent Blue Bell.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
God regulators are such pansies if there's anything that should have given the company the corporate death penalty it should have been something like that. You don't get to ignore violationsfound from multiple inspections, kill 3 people, then get to do a recall and continue operating.

Is there another brand that goes by Blue Bell's standards (ie, tons of inventive flavors, don't whip half a carton of air into it, go by "frozen dairy desert" horseshit), but without the listeria hysteria? This Friendly's/Pet/Mayfield etc shit aint cutting it.

Wreav

Banned
Is there another brand that goes by Blue Bell's standards (ie, tons of inventive flavors, don't whip half a carton of air into it, go by "frozen dairy desert" horseshit), but without the listeria hysteria? This Friendly's/Pet/Mayfield etc shit aint cutting it.

Talenti gelato is the savior you're looking for.

Partition

Banned
talenti is overrated. usually way too sweet and lacking nuanced flavors to me. hagen dasz will always be king of the ice cream isle tbh

this stuff is great too (but usually too expensive)
20120803-steves-ice-cream-primary.jpg

JohnsonUT

I don't understand the deep brand loyalty to Blue Bell at all. Since switching to HFCS, their ice cream is not even close to worthy of the praise it receives.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
It's really weird to me how little traction the fact that people DIED due to negligence gained even as Blue Bell began pulling all their products. It was a complete non-story compared to OMG NO BUBELL.

Knox

Didn't they know there was a problem before the deaths but didn't want to do anything about it until people fucking dying forced them to? Yeah, fuck this company.

Garlador

Well, considering everything that just happened, and the amount of money it cost for the recall, now is probably the safest time to get Blue Bell ice cream in history.

Salmonax

Didn't they know there was a problem before the deaths but didn't want to do anything about it until people fucking dying forced them to? Yeah, fuck this company.

Yes, they knew about the listeria contamination since at least 2013 and kept it quiet, taking only perfunctory steps to fix it. It's stunning to me that anyone would trust them again.

Then again, Jack in the Box famously caused an E. coli outbreak and emerged as one of the most stringently sanitary fast food chains as a result, so perhaps Blue Bell will follow a similar trajectory.

But I sure wouldn't take my chances over ice cream.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
After a few minutes of deciding which flavors she wanted, Julyssa Marroquan struggled as she carried two half-gallons of Homemade Vanilla and two half-gallons of Dutch Chocolate Blue Bell ice cream to the checker’s stand at Food King.

“It’s truly amazing, I’ve been waiting for this forever,” she said.

D:

I hope that's her ice cream quota for the next 12 months.

Yasae

Banned
G0AZu2U.png

Yikes. And they did know about listeria in some of their plants.
The FDA released its investigations into Blue Bell's plants in Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama after a Freedom of Information request by The Associated Press. The most extensive violations were found in Oklahoma, where the FDA released 16 separate positive tests for listeria on equipment and in ice cream from March 2013 through January 2015 [...]

Violations in the Oklahoma plant include dirty equipment, inadequate food storage, food being held at improper temperatures and employees not washing hands adequately.

There were also violations at the Texas and Alabama plants. In Alabama, FDA investigators observed at least two employees working with the food wearing soiled clothing. In Texas, investigators saw condensation dripping directly into food and onto surfaces that came directly in contact with food. In all of the plants, the FDA found dirty equipment and infrastructure that made cleaning difficult.
So what happened there?

mnannola

Would love to see how much this craziness cost them. From shutting down for months to lawsuits to brand damage, must be a fortune.

zashga

Wow, I didn't realize people had actually died. I wouldn't have jumped back on board anyway, but this just seals it.

"Safer than ever!" How empty do you have to be inside to say something like that?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
All of the people in the original thread who thought they were definitely dead. wow.

The local media really never took the company to task for killing folk. They went with the slant of, "poor Blue Bell!!!". After that, I knew people would fall right in line. I will give Blue Bell credit though, they have played the "aww shucks, we are just a small company" role to a tee.

People don't really give a damn unless it effects them. They didn't get sick, so they are down with the Bell.

The local media really never took the company to task for killing folk. They went with the slant of, "poor Blue Bell!!!". After that, I knew people would fall right in line. I will give Blue Bell credit though, they have played the "aww shucks, we are just a small company" role to a tee.

People don't really give a damn unless it effects them. They didn't get sick, so they are down with the Bell.

I live in victim blaming country where I've heard some people blame those who got sick/died was because of their shitty immune systems.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Fuck that shit. You don't get to kill 3 people and then come back to live with me.

God regulators are such pansies if there's anything that should have given the company e corporate death penalty it should have been something like that. You don't get to ignore violationsfound from multiple inspections, kill 3 people, then get to do a recall and continue operating.

I live in victim blaming country where I've heard some people blame those who got sick/died was because of their shitty immune systems.
Listeria doesn't kill healthy people.... Statistically, in the past year three people probably died in a car accident on their way to store to get some blue bell.

I mean it sucks. And it really seems like luck of the draw, haven't there been one or two other ice cream companies that discovered listeria as well?

People are really fucking excited about this, all over my social media.

SAN ANTONIO - As quickly as Blue Bell could stock the freezers, folks in Brenham were scooping it up. And that was before breakfast.

After nearly five months of manufacturing shutdown due to listeria concerns, the creamery launched its rollout Monday in the Brenham, Austin and Houston areas. No specific date is set for San Antonio stores, but is expected to be in mid-September.

The trucks were greeted with cheers before dawn.

“I told my husband that I’m more excited for Blue Bell and what it means for this community than I am about the ice cream,” Brenham resident Nancy Fritz said.

The store limit was four per customer. In the first 15 minutes, 261 half-gallon tubs had been sold.

It marked the end of a long dry spell for Blue Bell customers in those markets.

It’s been a five-month rocky road for the 108-year-old company, which now faces the task of regaining customer trust and market share.

“Blue Bell did a number of things very right, very quickly,” said Charlene Davis, Ph.D., marketing professor and chair of the Business Administration Department at Trinity University.

Among those things was an apology that Davis said was sincere and direct, as well as transparency during the period of fixing the problems.

The company’s homespun, family image doesn’t hurt either.

“One of the things Blue Bell has an advantage in is consumers have a deep, deep affinity for this,” Davis said. “It really goes beyond being loyal. People have a relationship with it.”

The slow return to stores also sent a message, according to Davis, that the company was taking time to get it right.

“The slow rollout has psychological implications,” she said. “We want what we cannot yet have, but it allows them if there are hiccups in their distribution, that scope is minimized.”
http://www.ksat.com/news/hundreds-of-half-gallons-sold-within-minutes-of-blue-bell-return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom