• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boku No Hero Will End in August 5 with chapter 430.

Draugoth

Gold Member
01-5d823903738da97725fe730bf651f8198718e3d4.jpg

The final chapter of My Hero Academia, Chapter 430, is set to release on August 4, 2024.

This chapter marks the end of the popular series, wrapping up the journey of Deku and his classmates.

Source

Fbh

I got tired of the boring never ending final fight and just stopped reading. Might check it out once it gets animated, I've heard the anime really elevates the source material with some cool animation and music.

Lambogenie

And then the sequel is his all powerful son, right.

I hope it never gets a sequel.

Also, I dropped out ages ago... it was never great.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I felt this way for 3 seasons, and then the last season/this season vs super soldier Shigaraki have had highs that match the best of DBZ's Frieza and Cell sagas.

3 seasons of buildup and a fakeout big bad (Overhaul) was not great pacing at all, but at least the payoff moment is paying off.

Yeah funny enough the manga has gotten better but it the issues I have with most Shonen nowadays. They tend to just be most of the time tropey. The only ones I love when it comes to Shounen are One Piece, Chainsaw Man, Dandadan (The manga is already past 150 Chapters and it's still fun and fresh to read) and Chained Slave (I read this for the obvious reasons 👀)

I think my next Shonen I'm gonna to read is Hunter X Hunter

Also I tend to prefer reading Seinen

And I have the same issue with Kaiju No 8. It started out great but I haven’t gone back to it since reading Chapter 20

Last edited:
Yeah funny enough the manga has gotten better but it the issues I have with most Shonen nowadays. They tend to just be most of the time tropey. The only ones I love when it comes to Shounen are One Piece, Chainsaw Man, Dandadan (The manga is already past 150 Chapters and it's still fun and fresh to read) and Chained Slave (I read this for the obvious reasons 👀)
This is why I always look at Shonen like how I look at action/kung fu movies. The star of the show for me in most of them isn't the character, it's the fights, direction, setpieces, tension, and pacing. When a show manages to nail all of them right, firing on all cylinders, I consider it to be a good thing even if the characters aren't the best written.

Pacing I usually set above the others. One of the best examples being the following run of events: Piccolo vs Cell version 1, to Z warriors vs Androids, to Piccolo vs Android 17, to Cell interrupting the fight and killing 17, to Z Warriors holding off Cell version 2 until Super Vegeta showed up, to Vegeta letting Cell turn to version 3 and almost killing him, to Tien holding off Cell, to Goku finally showing up to stop the fight and strike the tournament deal with Cell. I still remember the absolute look of dread on Piccolo's face, after fighting Android 17 in an ongoing endurance battle, only to see Cell appear and metaphorically flip the entire table over:

7c3cd0a7e24fd5e3901e724fca975453.jpg

There were a ton of exciting episodes amongst this entire string of events and it all kept the viewers on the edge of their seats with masterful pacing. Not many shonen get this right, and some will even interrupt a great moment of combat to do a flashback (Naruto) when it was completely unnecessary (Naruto vs Sasuke final animated battle).

That's where it falls to the second most important pillar, Direction. Sometimes you need a little something more than just translating drawn panels to the screen. Example: Mappa excelled with this in both Chainsaw Man and JJK because their directors were aware that they were making a show, a different medium, and not just an animated comic. A few manga only readers complained a little about Chainsaw Man, but once they started to see how artistically elevated the show was, most of those complaints went away.

On a side note regarding Naruto vs Sasuke, I still can't believe how badly they botched their final encounter. Nothing more needed to be said or shown once the fight started. Everyone who watched the 1000+ episodes of the show all knew the stakes of this feud that lasted the entire series. It even started off properly with them just going straight into combat and not speaking unless it was a quip or two regarding combat. The directors should have caught on to this and kept it up, but instead they added needless flashback moments to try and make it more impactful, not realizing they were removing the air out of the room by doing so and cutting away from the emotion of their actions by trying to insert the emotion of past moments. It shouldn't take a youtuber with well-placed edits to attempt to do what an entire animation studio director failed to do.

Apologies for the long post, I tend to get passionate about this stuff.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
This is why I always look at Shonen like how I look at action/kung fu movies. The star of the show for me in most of them isn't the character, it's the fights, direction, setpieces, tension, and pacing. When a show manages to nail all of them right, firing on all cylinders, I consider it to be a good thing even if the characters aren't the best written.

Pacing I usually set above the others. One of the best examples being the following run of events: Piccolo vs Cell version 1, to Z warriors vs Androids, to Piccolo vs Android 17, to Cell interrupting the fight and killing 17, to Z Warriors holding off Cell version 2 until Super Vegeta showed up, to Vegeta letting Cell turn to version 3 and almost killing him, to Tien holding off Cell, to Goku finally showing up to stop the fight and strike the tournament deal with Cell. I still remember the absolute look of dread on Piccolo's face, after fighting Android 17 in an ongoing endurance battle, only to see Cell appear and metaphorically flip the entire table over:

7c3cd0a7e24fd5e3901e724fca975453.jpg

There were a ton of exciting episodes amongst this entire string of events and it all kept the viewers on the edge of their seats with masterful pacing. Not many shonen get this right, and some will even interrupt a great moment of combat to do a flashback (Naruto) when it was completely unnecessary (Naruto vs Sasuke final animated battle).

That's where it falls to the second most important pillar, Direction. Sometimes you need a little something more than just translating drawn panels to the screen. Example: Mappa excelled with this in both Chainsaw Man and JJK because their directors were aware that they were making a show, a different medium, and not just an animated comic. A few manga only readers complained a little about Chainsaw Man, but once they started to see how artistically elevated the show was, most of those complaints went away.

On a side note regarding Naruto vs Sasuke, I still can't believe how badly they botched their final encounter. Nothing more needed to be said or shown once the fight started. Everyone who watched the 1000+ episodes of the show all knew the stakes of this feud that lasted the entire series. It even started off properly with them just going straight into combat and not speaking unless it was a quip or two regarding combat. The directors should have caught on to this and kept it up, but instead they added needless flashback moments to try and make it more impactful, not realizing they were removing the air out of the room by doing so and cutting away from the emotion of their actions by trying to insert the emotion of past moments. It shouldn't take a youtuber with well-placed edits to attempt to do what an entire animation studio director failed to do.

Apologies for the long post, I tend to get passionate about this stuff.

No worries about the long post

Also I was wondering have you read Hunter X Hunter? I heard it's in the top tier when it comes to Shonen

As for Naruto, I love the manga more and that's because it's my first Shonen manga I read. I would always keep up to date with it when the manga was ongoing

And yeah both the OG Naruto and Shippuden anime are horrible when it comes to pacing

This has been an ongoing issue with Studio Pierrot. Where they do too much filler with their shows like Naruto and Bleach. But what I find interesting, I read recently in an interview with the president of Studio Pierrot is that now they aren't gonna to be doing fillers anymore and take their time animating a shows. A good example of this is The Thousand Year Blood War Arc which is Bleach Final Arc. They are taking their time with it and it shows. I was watching the first season and it was fantastic. I just decided to wait till all the chapters are animated and than watch it all at once

So that Animation Studio has improved in that regard.

If I remember correctly they are doing something new with Naruto, I'm not sure if it's a retelling of the manga or what. But I hope that if it is a retelling of the whole story, there won't be any fillers and the only backstories that are provided are the ones in the manga and the ones like The Spiral Within The Whorl

I think they are the Studio doing The One Piece

Doom85

If I remember correctly they are doing something new with Naruto, I'm not sure if it's a retelling of the manga or what. But I hope that if it is a retelling of the whole story, there won't be any fillers and the only backstories that are provided are the ones in the manga and the ones like The Spiral Within The Whorl

I imagine a new adaptation would have better animation overall, but damn they better bring their A-game if they’re going to top a few certain fights the anime handled: particularly Rock Lee vs. Gaara, Naruto vs. Sasuke (at the end of Part 1), and Sakura and Chiyo vs. Sasori and his 100 puppets went hard in the OG anime.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I imagine a new adaptation would have better animation overall, but damn they better bring their A-game if they’re going to top a few certain fights the anime handled: particularly Rock Lee vs. Gaara, Naruto vs. Sasuke (at the end of Part 1), and Sakura and Chiyo vs. Sasori and his 100 puppets went hard in the OG anime.

Yeah but the flashbacks during the battle and filler was bad

The president actually addressing these issues on fillers makes me happy

Doom85

Yeah but the flashbacks during the battle and filler was bad

The president actually addressing these issues on fillers makes me happy

True, but another point: the OST was often fire. Another element they better not slouch off in a remake, though I don’t think anyone would call bullshit if they brought back the original OST.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
True, but another point: the OST was often fire. Another element they better not slouch off in a remake, though I don’t think anyone would call bullshit if they brought back the original OST.

Oh yeah bring back the original OST of Naruto and Naruto Shippuden if this recent Naruto anime they are working on is just a retelling of the whole manga with better pacing, no fillers and better animation

Is it an actual ending or is it to start a follow up series if they're no longer in school?
No confirmation on if there will be a Boruto follow up but someone on 4chan said the current chapter run the last volume doesn't have enough pages to fill so there may be additional content in December with the last volume. Could be an improved closure or more to come later down the line.

But as of this week in WSJ it has officially ended print run.

JJK and Mission: Yozakura family will also end this year.

Also I was wondering have you read Hunter X Hunter? I heard it's in the top tier when it comes to Shonen
I will eventually. I had held out hope that a new anime adaptation or continuation would happen but I feel that the series might be cursed like Berserk.
And yeah both the OG Naruto and Shippuden anime are horrible when it comes to pacing

This has been an ongoing issue with Studio Pierrot. Where they do too much filler with their shows like Naruto and Bleach. But what I find interesting, I read recently in an interview with the president of Studio Pierrot is that now they aren't gonna to be doing fillers anymore and take their time animating a shows. A good example of this is The Thousand Year Blood War Arc which is Bleach Final Arc. They are taking their time with it and it shows. I was watching the first season and it was fantastic. I just decided to wait till all the chapters are animated and than watch it all at once

So that Animation Studio has improved in that regard.
This has been one of the best recent developments with anime studios lately, the shift to streaming-style content release schedules. It has been something that the higher ups at shueisha and toei have been rumored to be fighting over and it was heavily rumored to be one of the reasons why Toriyama wanted DB Daima to be signed to a streaming service deal and not under Toei. More animators are slowly starting to jump ship to quality (8-12 episodes per year) over quantity (52 episodes a year) and I'm all for it.

I think they are the Studio doing The One Piece
If so I'm very curious to see how they pull both off.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
My hero academia is certainly a decent show, all might works, one 4 all is a beast. Things changes once endeavor took place as the #1 hero.

Neolombax

Didn't like the ending, felt it was mediocre. The series as a whole, I didn't like it that much. I was invested in the earlier arcs but towards the end, the art became much harder to appreciate, there were too many things going on in a panel. The story itself, I don't feel anything for characters or their arcs. To be honest, the newer manga's, like My Hero Academia and Jujutsu Kaisen, I don't really like them. Plot and storytelling felt unnecessarily convoluted.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Didn't like the ending, felt it was mediocre. The series as a whole, I didn't like it that much. I was invested in the earlier arcs but towards the end, the art became much harder to appreciate, there were too many things going on in a panel. The story itself, I don't feel anything for characters or their arcs. To be honest, the newer manga's, like My Hero Academia and Jujutsu Kaisen, I don't really like them. Plot and storytelling felt unnecessarily convoluted.

As a reader of the manga, I felt it peaked with the Stain Arc

As for Jujutsu Kaison, I never could get into the manga/anime

Read Kagurabachi. It has better pacing and good fight choreography, but it isn't without flaw.

Top Bottom