• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Borderlands |OT| More guns than the population of the Netherlands

benjipwns

Banned
Gaspode_T said:
For campaign progress I'm kind of stuck...
I beat Baron Flynt, then I went to the place where the waypoint is to "Find Tarris" but there doesn't seem to be a way into the Crimson Lance outpost that I was directed to, I climbed around quite a bit but didn't really see any openings besides the door which is red and not operatable. I thought maybe I would finish the machine gun quest and ended up climbing back up the big machine a second time "for the heck of it" expecting to see more crimson lance guys there, to my surprise instead I had to kill Baron Flynt a second time! I didn't think the bosses re-spawned like that, anyway it was kind of fun to kill him a second time and get a boom stick again, but it almost felt like a bug for that to happen...

So my next guess was that I have to go to her office directly for a clue (which is one of the only main campaign places that has no good fast travel close to it as far as I know...)
Before you get down the road to the Crimson Lance outpost (two level one in the corner of The Salt Flats?) there's a small cave to the right.

If you want to get back to Tannis' lab for whatever reason the easiest fast travel is The Underpass which is just around the corner from it. You still have to run through the area with the rakks and spiderants around her lab though. Although that should just be annoying and not actually a threat.

BuddyC

The Dutch Slayer said:
Nice thanks for the info.

I thought that their was another patch coming? that would inter grade steamworks? or was that it?

Maybe I mixing some things up sorry.
At PAX, we announced that an update adding Steam Cloud support and an opt-in stat-tracking service named BTest would be released through Steam on September 9. Some took that Steam Cloud support to mean full Steamworks integration, which is not the case.

Effect said:
Question about the Borderlands GOTY edition. I know that version comes with the DLC. The 360 version had to download the DLC. I assume they supplied a code you had to put in. I know the PS3 version comes with it on the disc. Does that make buying the PS3 version the only viable option if one goes down the used game purchase road? Or do you still have to put in some code to unlock the content?
Earlier runs of Game of the Year Edition include vouchers for the DLC, but later ones have the DLC on-disc. You can tell the difference by the cover.

If it says "Tokens for All 4 Add-On Packs" (PS3) or "Vouchers for All 4 Add-On Packs" (Xbox 360), then it's the code version. If it just says "All 4 Add-On Packs," then it's the disc version.

Gaspode_T

I actually slammed through the main campaign ending last night, great game!!! I think I like it more than I liked Halo...the rewards system is set up nicely, go into comm tower, kill bunch of dudes, red chest on top, booyah. It tickles the loot itch very nicely. I also like how the guns feel different than each other, almost like driving a different car in a racing game. Maybe something they can add in Borderlands 2 is more weapon upgrades (similar to the way you can attach skills to your class, like the turret for Soldier I was playing as). It would be cool to customize the scope or something. The only other thing I think would be cool would be more fine grain Shadowrun/ Dues Ex style upgrade points to make things even more interesting, like you have to sacrifice some points to be good at shooting rockets from the car or something like that.

I am not sure what I will do about DLC, I might wait for it to go on sale because I don't have GoTY I havce the Games on Demand version...I need to get Zombie Island/Underdome/something else, I guess the only one I have is the one you are supposed to do last (Claptrap New Revolution?). How do you even start New Game +?

Gaspode_T

benjipwns said:
Just select your save again and it will ask if you want to stay in Playthrough 1 or continue to Playthough 2.

Hmmm, if it were like Zelda 1 where things are totally different I might do it, if it's exactly the same...I'm not sure I would want to do it with the same character...

benjipwns

Banned
The enemies are upgraded and you get better loot, but it's the same missions and everything.

I played through the DLC once and with the other characters before I went to Playthrough 2.

Log4Girlz

This game so far is crack, though the bosses tend to be SO much harder than regular enemies its ridiculous...I glitched Skagzilla...then I had to fight Mad Mel (such a funny parody) man I could not do squat...read a guide online...I had to! Hilariously they suggested cheesing it. So I check their advice on Skagzilla...haha suggested cheesing it too. I didn't feel so bad.

Gaspode_T

I went ahead and started play through two...backlog is crying

It is funny how much easier it is on the second time around, I got to the nine toes mission in a blink of an eye

I fear the latter bosses though

I have the infantry tree almost maxed with emphasis on shotgun, now i am getting cool down reduction in repair part of tree...so awesome, basically can deploy almost non stop

Gaspode_T

Borderlands 2 hints for devs happening to be listening or if certain community manager would be willing to pass on:

1) It took me my second playthrough (and what 40 hours of gameplay) and the second run through of tutorial part at the beginning to realize that you could hold down the X button to grab all ammo at once. I was so used to just banging X repeatedly to pick up things...sigh. You should almost force people to do things like that before they can proceed.

2) I also didn't realize that you have to change the Scorpio turret power manually, for some reason I thought that the artifact powers were stacking on top of each other. I just figured out that you have to change it when last night it said I added shock power but it still seemed to be burning people. I also have picked up some artifacts for other classes, it would be cool to have a mailbox system similar to WoW where you can mail it to another character you have. I wish the game had rewards for leveling up multiple characters, like being able to use them as an AI co-op. That would make Playthrough 2 less appealing and more want to play through with multiple characters, as long as there are slight differences in story and lines you get from people I think that would be better IMO.

Got to Dahl and saved Lucky, my car is feeling pretty damn weak now and blows up pretty easily. I never used TK's Wave during first playthrough and I think it was because I was blindly looking at the Compare results and thinking it was worse than something else, but man...it's waaaaaay better than my other shotguns even the ones that are higher level. I'm L43 and still using it.

Gaspode_T said:
1) It took me my second playthrough (and what 40 hours of gameplay) and the second run through of tutorial part at the beginning to realize that you could hold down the X button to grab all ammo at once. I was so used to just banging X repeatedly to pick up things...sigh. You should almost force people to do things like that before they can proceed.

Wow...

Pretty sure that was mentioned somewhere in game because i was doing that before level 5 my first time through...

Gaspode_T

Forsaken82 said:
Wow...

Pretty sure that was mentioned somewhere in game because i was doing that before level 5 my first time through...

Yeah basically when you get to the first red chest the claptrap tells you about it, but it's expecting a lot for someone to read text when they have a big box of guns staring at them

B-Dex

If any gaffers with the PS3 version wanna co-op with me through a new playthrough add my PSN B-Dex.

Replaying it to get hyped for 2.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
B-Dex said:
If any gaffers with the PS3 version wanna co-op with me through a new playthrough add my PSN B-Dex.

Replaying it to get hyped for 2.

If no one takes you up on this... shoot me a pm when you're around lvl 30... that's where I'm sitting atm. Haven't done much co-op and would like to try it out with a non-random.

Gaspode_T

Died about 10 times trying to at least kill the out riders in Mad Mel fight with my vehicle...unfortunately I only took about 1 or 2 shots before blowing up and couldn't seem to snipe/shotgun enough to save myself. It's a fun fight, but easier to cheese it by sniping from beyond the entrance...

BuddyC said:
At PAX, we announced that an update adding Steam Cloud support and an opt-in stat-tracking service named BTest would be released through Steam on September 9. Some took that Steam Cloud support to mean full Steamworks integration, which is not the case.
I know a little late to this response but I wanted to thank you for clearing that up! to bad about the steamworks intergration but still I already have the GOTY edition for steam I was just wondering.
(aka I do hate the GFW(live) stuff.

So I recently beat the game with my girlfriend, doing every mission in the game. Overall, I think we had a lot of fun with it and definitely got our money's worth. We also did the zombie island DLC and enjoyed that. Tonight, we decided to try Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot.

That was a mistake.

zatara

TheAtomicPile said:
So I recently beat the game with my girlfriend, doing every mission in the game. Overall, I think we had a lot of fun with it and definitely got our money's worth. We also did the zombie island DLC and enjoyed that. Tonight, we decided to try Mad Moxxi's Underdome Riot.

That was a mistake.

Try General Knoxx, it will rid you of the nightmares of Moxxi.

woolley

zatara said:
Try General Knoxx, it will rid you of the nightmares of Moxxi.
I don't know about that one. I felt General Knoxx was by far the worst DLC out of all of them. It's pretty much just riding from loading screen to loading screen.

Raide

TheAtomicPile said:

That was a mistake.

It not to bad if you have a few people playing co-op, since the later rounds can be really crazy but its the worst of the DLC.

Make sure you get into Knoxx and Claptrap as well. Plus jumping into Playthrough 2 and everything will be reset, so even more fun and loot!

Raide said:
It not to bad if you have a few people playing co-op, since the later rounds can be really crazy but its the worst of the DLC.

Make sure you get into Knoxx and Claptrap as well. Plus jumping into Playthrough 2 and everything will be reset, so even more fun and loot!

My girlfriend and I are level 36 and 37, and we were able to get to the last wave of round 5 without a problem. We both died on that last wave, and I figured, "Ah, whatever I guess we'll have to start that wave again." Of course, not only would we have to do that wave again, but that entire round, and the entire fourth round as well.

So, on top of the boring arena combat, Moxxi's annoying voice, lack of loot, lack of experience, and lack of fun, I would have to do two full rounds again? No thanks.

And on top of that, unless I'm mistaken, what progress we were allowed to keep after dying will be lost because we didn't complete all 5 rounds.

What a piece of crap.

Mxrz

Same boat. Loved the game, and really loved the DLC. But Underdome is just bleh. I'd planned on doing 1 tournament a week to finish off the trophies so I could shelve the game, but that was back in March and I still haven't touched it since.

Mxrz said:
Same boat. Loved the game, and really loved the DLC. But Underdome is just bleh. I'd planned on doing 1 tournament a week to finish off the trophies so I could shelve the game, but that was back in March and I still haven't touched it since.

hahah yeah i beat the underdome with 2 friends but if you beat the main mission you get a skill point

but i have to keep in mind they were lvl 41 while i was lvl 51

Gaspode_T

L52 on Playthrough 2, I'm finally digging into the DLC because I got Underdome and Zombie Island on sale (360)

I was kind of disappointed the zombies aren't scaled to my current level (they are L42 to L43) but on the other hand it's kind of fun mowing through them with a shotgun. The humor is great as always.

I saw that one of the ninja assassin missions turned from impossible to "Tough" and it was just picking up a part or something so I tried to complete one of the higher level missions from the other DLC I have and I ended up literally getting stuck: two ninjas would attack me, almost insta-kill me and I would re-spawn close enough that they were on me again before I could get away. I lost a lot of money just trying to get out of there and I guess I will stay away from that one until I finish PT2.

Raide

Gaspode_T said:
L52 on Playthrough 2, I'm finally digging into the DLC because I got Underdome and Zombie Island on sale (360)

I was kind of disappointed the zombies aren't scaled to my current level (they are L42 to L43) but on the other hand it's kind of fun mowing through them with a shotgun. The humor is great as always.

I saw that one of the ninja assassin missions turned from impossible to "Tough" and it was just picking up a part or something so I tried to complete one of the higher level missions from the other DLC I have and I ended up literally getting stuck: two ninjas would attack me, almost insta-kill me and I would re-spawn close enough that they were on me again before I could get away. I lost a lot of money just trying to get out of there and I guess I will stay away from that one until I finish PT2.

If you get the Claptrap DLC, I am sure the level cap goes up and the Zombies scale again. I am sure thats what they said. Cannot check atm since I am away from my 360.

I usually play through some of the story, then finish off Zombies/Knoxx etc. Then start on playthrough 2, since when you finish (You don't have to actually kill the last boss) the rest of the DLC will rank up. So you can go back and do all the DLC at the level you finished Playthrough 2 at.

Gaspode_T said:
This may just be me, but I seem to have found a way to get the zombies to level with you. When you start up the game and go to the zombie dlc they will be leveled to you. If you stay there, do missions, and level up they will stay the level you were at start but you will get more powerful.

What I do to get them rescaled to my level is to leave the area and turn off the game. When I start it back up and go to the dlc area they are rescaled and I get tons of XP and better loot again.

Gaspode_T

Interesting...I definitely warped there from Rust Commons East or something so maybe that is the problem

It's not totally a waste of time but my money is maxed out at all 9s so just kind of going through the motions as it is. Maybe the problem is that I already tried to start the other DLCs and get my ass handed to me already, so it scales the Zombie one appropriately down...I thought it was just hard coded one is 40 to 50, the other is 50 to 60 and the last two are 60+.

Raide

Gaspode_T said:
Interesting...I definitely warped there from Rust Commons East or something so maybe that is the problem

It's not totally a waste of time but my money is maxed out at all 9s so just kind of going through the motions as it is. Maybe the problem is that I already tried to start the other DLCs and get my ass handed to me already, so it scales the Zombie one appropriately down...I thought it was just hard coded one is 40 to 50, the other is 50 to 60 and the last two are 60+.

Once you hit the high 50's, money can vanish fairly quickly if you spot something nice in the shop. The majority of good stuff is via drops but sometimes shop stuff is great.

As soon as you finish the Playthrough 1, the DLC will reset to your current level. Thats why its best to get it done before you actually finish the story and start your Playthrough 2.

If you don't have Knoxx and Claptrap, I would recommend picking them up. More levels, more stuff to do, more loot and they are way better than Moxxi's. :D

Gaspode_T

Raide said:
Once you hit the high 50's, money can vanish fairly quickly if you spot something nice in the shop. The majority of good stuff is via drops but sometimes shop stuff is great.

As soon as you finish the Playthrough 1, the DLC will reset to your current level. Thats why its best to get it done before you actually finish the story and start your Playthrough 2.

If you don't have Knoxx and Claptrap, I would recommend picking them up. More levels, more stuff to do, more loot and they are way better than Moxxi's. :D

Oh I meant I'm playing through Playthrough 2, I am about midway through the story (I think I'm about to do "Not without my claptrap mission")

I have all the DLC now, I was originally going to just finish the story of PT2 first but I wasn't sure what level everything would be though so I decided to just try to visit Jakob's Island and see...I had already visited Tartarus and the other place before (can't remember the names and which is which)

I am still using Madjack, it seems to be the revolver that keeps on ticking.

I loved the loot zombie, I thought "no way" when I went to try to open the chest

Raide

Gaspode_T said:
Oh I meant I'm playing through Playthrough 2, I am about midway through the story (I think I'm about to do "Not without my claptrap mission")

I have all the DLC now, I was originally going to just finish the story of PT2 first but I wasn't sure what level everything would be though so I decided to just try to visit Jakob's Island and see...I had already visited Tartarus and the other place before (can't remember the names and which is which)

I am still using Madjack, it seems to be the revolver that keeps on ticking.

I loved the loot zombie, I thought "no way" when I went to try to open the chest

Hahah Loot Zombies! Yeah, I loved it when they first dropped. :D

I really enjoy the change of pace for the Zombie Isle. Something very fun about destroying hordes of Zombies. Though the collecting brains quest is a pain in the ass.

fresquito

So I started playing this recently and came up with a doubt I've never really cleared up: when you equip a class mod, can your skills go over 5? Is there any mod/way to have your skill updated in rthe menu when you change class mods?

Gaspode_T

I thought you guys were probably overreacting over Mad Moxxi...but man...they should have just had the rounds completely split up so you don't have to start from a previous round when you die, and the whole "long tournament" should just have been axed. I think I would have still thought it's a good value because of the bank even if it can be completed in a few hours...as it is, it's more like 30 hours unless you cheat. It's just not fun to lose so much progress like that...

Having a blast with Secret Armory and Claptrap Revolution, I find most of the deaths in these I have now come from being shot in the car or being caught off guard. Some badass rocketeer guy managed to catch me with shields down and kill me before I could respond. The midget quests are hilarious. For Claptrap Revolution...The claptraps are fun to fight and the Super Bad guys are ... super bad ass. I was only L56 I think when I tried to take on some L59 or 60 Super Bad guy and I was literally running away, suddenly the game felt like Halo and I was running away from an elite. I hope Borderlands 2 has moments like this where it uses the openness of the environment in a more cat and mouse way. Usually the big spiders just jump on you or roll towards you or the large bosses don't really move around like a human would. Now I am L58 I think and shotgunning giant spiders in the face. These DLCs are huge and definitely making up for any harm that Mad Moxxi did for my love of this game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
just got the game yesterday. We'll start with a friend today. Any tips on coop, classes and general gameplay? I played at my friend's house 2 years ago, but I don't remember anything except that mouse was horrible. Any tips on PC fixes?

Nelo Ice

Banned
just got the game yesterday. We'll start with a friend today. Any tips on coop, classes and general gameplay? I played at my friend's house 2 years ago, but I don't remember anything except that mouse was horrible. Any tips on PC fixes?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1085076
Can change ur FOV though u have to press F10 or whatever the button is every time u start the game or exit a vehicle to get the FOV back to ur desired setting. Also makes it so u can toggle crouch along with other fixes/tweaks.

Edgeward

I make sure the FOV is set to sprint since you will do a lot of running. Also in MP have the non-hosts players exit out first so that they save their data. If host leaves the other players just get booted and progress is moved back to the last save/checkpoint.

This is one of the few games I've platinumed!

Top tip for some trophies.

Brains - get this started before doing any other story quest in Dr Zed Zombie island

Moxie DLC - difficulty scales to player 1. Use a lvl 3 character for player one, use highest level character for player two 40+. Always use the same character or the trophy won't pop. Doesn't matter if player 1 dies, just ignore him and use player 2. This way you can get the 20 round challenge for each area in under 2hrs.

Claptrap oil can drops - there is no short cut!

subversus

what the fuck, do I still need fucking Gamespy account? I thought it's Steamworks? I wouldn't have bought it if I knew!

subversus

well, Gamespy works good and the game is quite fun in coop. Single-player blows compaired to that. Loot adds to experience, it's really Diablo with guns.

benjipwns

Banned
It uses Steamworks for achievements and stuff, but wasn't that way at launch that was all added in a later patch. GameSpy does work much better now than it did at launch, especially if you know the people you want to play with and have them as friends. It's still not perfect but I thought it was one of the friendlier GameSpy games in terms of working properly.

subversus

it even has proper working voice chat. I was shocked. I thought only Steamworks games have that.

also how does Lilith's power work? I become invisible and...?

Edgeward

On activation and deactiation she emits a elemental blast and certain skill trees also allow for faster shield and health regen or better melee damage when hitting enemies when invisible.

AppleBlade

I bought the GOTY edition on the Mac App Store. I was surprised at how great it runs on my entry level macbook. I thought I was going to have to wait until I got an iMac for Christmas, looks like I could get in on some action now.

benjipwns

Banned
it even has proper working voice chat. I was shocked. I thought only Steamworks games have that.
Well, GameSpy games are SUPPOSED to have it by default last I knew. :lol
also how does Lilith's power work? I become invisible and...?
As others noted, initially it's just to buy time and damage enemies with your area attack. But you can later add elemental effects and a big melee hit that does more damage, set people on fire, etc. And most importantly can have your health recharge while invisible/invincible to buy a breather.

Plus you run faster than sprint does while in it.

At higher levels it makes you borderline unstoppable.

subversus

also the game has beautiful music and relaxed atmosphere. I can see why it has become so popular.

Some info on part 2:
- 4p co-op (online & lan)
- new environments such as arctic & acid caves
- even more shitloads of weapons and mods + "grab shields & grenades"...no idea what that means
- gritty story (Handsome Jack something..)
- I think I might have seen 2d sequences, but I'm not 100% sure (looked like a scene from Agent Armstrong PSX)

InertiaXr

- gritty story (Handsome Jack something..)

Lol gritty story, can only mean good things.

When is this suppose to be out anyways? Amazon says June 30 2012, are they just guessing at this point or has the dev said anything? They probably wasted quite a bit of time and manpower after Borderlands 1 on Duke Nukem Forever instead of this...

Top Bottom