• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

Kessler simply couldn't deal with Joe's handspeed

I was very impressed with Kessler - even in round 12 he came out knowing he was behind and came very close with a couple of haymakers that could have knocked Joe's lights out.

I doff my cap to both fighters after the bout tho - Joe's always been a gracious non-arrogant type of guy (probably why he's not got his due in the US), but I thought Kessler was extremely classy after the fight.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
gollumsluvslave said:
I was very impressed with Kessler - even in round 12 he came out knowing he was behind and came very close with a couple of haymakers that could have knocked Joe's lights out.

I doff my cap to both fighters after the bout tho - Joe's always been a gracious non-arrogant type of guy (probably why he's not got his due in the US), but I thought Kessler was extremely classy after the fight.

Oh come on there are non-arrogant fighters in the US who get their props. Joe won't get full acceptance by the US audience until he does what you always have to do to get that acceptance. Fight in the US.

Joe won't get full acceptance by the US audience until he does what you always have to do to get that acceptance. Fight in the US.

Fair point, but the chances of that happening with Frank Warren around are slim to none.

When I was saying 'non-arrogant' I was more meaning that there are still a large amount of people that say 'Joe who?', even in the UK! He's not a big a draw as fighters like Prince Naseem, Euabank and the like were, who had more flash.

It seems to take that kind of personality to get people talking, but I take your argument - Ricky Hatton is a perfect example of where going over to the States has got him in a position to get the real kudos.

pulsemyne

Not a big draw? He attracted about 60,000 fans yesterday and is a national hero in Wales. Last nights performance was near perfect and you can truly see the idea behind the way he trains, not for a fighter but he trains to fight and adjusts as the fight goes on. Macrinelli now fights with the same idea and he has come on leaps and bounds.

Not a big draw?

Obviously for Wales he is, but Joe has never been championed by the mainstream British media in the way that other lesser (IMHO) fighters have over the years - of course this is just much to do with not being English as to not being 'flash'.

Ash_69

gollumsluvslave said:
Obviously for Wales he is, but Joe has never been championed by the mainstream British media in the way that other lesser (IMHO) fighters have over the years - of course this is just much to do with not being English as to not being 'flash'.

Yep its true. I always watch the big fight live on ch3 and me and my mates like watching boxing but before the Jeff Lacey fight, none of us would have been able to tell you what Calazaghe looked like. Even now I dont think hes hasn't gained the same mainstream publicity as Eubank or Nasseem. Considering what he's achieved thats criminal.

Interesting quotes from Frank Warren on BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7077707.stm

Calzaghe's promoter Frank Warren said: "Joe will go to the States. He will fight Mr Hopkins in his home town. He will go to Philadelphia to fight him. He will fight him anywhere to get this on

I'll believe it when i happens. Warren did this before with Hopkins and RJJ, and stalled on money citing more attendance in Wales. Hopefully Joe will persuade him to dow whatever it takes this time.

cthoaa

Great night. Venue was beautiful. Crowd was unbelievable. The fight was as billed.

I was so impressed w/ Calzaghe, dusting off some old tools and breaking Kessler's vaunted jab w/ his own, which I didn't think he could/would do. So many ways to win.

The pace he set was so high, and he just left Kessler behind in the championship rounds. Kessler is the decided number two in the division, but there's a bit of distance b/w he and Joe. He'll run things when Joe moves up.

Re: Calzaghe's perception in the US, timing and matchmaking were big factors. The iron was hot after the win over Lacy on Showtime, and HBO got on him. He could've 1) moved up 2) fought a big name 3) fought in America. But instead of a showcase fight, he was matched vs Bika in what turned out to be a pretty ugly affair. And it was followed up w/ Manfredo, which wound up being disastrous and had people calling his championship defense streak, his resume, and even British refereeing into question. :lol

This fight changes things, though. Its impact will be like that of Hatton-Castillo, which turned Ricky, demoted from HBO PPV after the Urango fight, into a headliner w/ PBF. The announce crew could not stop gushing.

Showtime was okay.

I was happy to see Guerrero win and win quickly. (He was missing much of the week after his wife was diagnosed w/ leukemia.)

JMM put on a clinic in the main event. He cut up Rocky, which probably made the fight better as Rocky was more active w/ a stoppage looming.

Funniest part was when the broadcasters were talking of the severity of the cut, and Rocky's cutman takes a look and goes, "Oh, SHIT!" :lol

EDIT:

cthoaa

29fb5w9.jpg
2rwmfxh.jpg

Countdown to Cotto-Mosley (YouTube):

Countdown... Part 1
Countdown... Part 2
Countdown... Part 3
Countdown... Part 4

Some spotlight on Big Bear. Cotto's English has come a long way in such a short time as seen here and in other interviews. Steward continues to show great respect for SSM and the personal/professional relationship b/w him and his dad.

cthoaa

Joe Calzaghe Post Fight Interview (YouTube)

Mikkel Kessler Post Fight Letter (FrankWarren.tv)

CARDIFF--I felt like I was walking into the lion?s den?no make that the Welsh Dragon?s den Sunday morning at Millennium Stadium. I heard 50,000 voices, about 90 percent very unfriendly and a small sprinkling of guys waving my red and white Danish flag.

I could not hear a word the people were saying but I know it wasn?t, ?Hey, Mr. Kessler, good to see ya, good luck.? After Joe Calzaghe, a masterful champion beat me over 12 hard rounds, some in Team Kessler told me the Calzaghe partisans were screaming obscenities and singing the football song, ?Who Are You??

The whole world knew who Mr. Calzaghe was BEFORE this bout which was seen in 70 countries. Now I think, and I hope, the whole world, or at least that part of it which cares for our great sport of boxing, knows who Mikkel Kessler is.

I offer no excuses except to say I was not in 100 percent top form. It didn?t help that my guy, Mogens Palle, fell seriously ill and remains in hospital here. I am praying that Mogens soon rebound and returns to Denmark. He will be celebrating his 50th anniversary as a fight promoter Wednesday and I hope to visit with him on that special day. Because of his condition he could not be with us at ringside.

Like I say no sour grapes, no whining, and no excuses. Joe beat me fair and square on his home grounds. This cat has more tricks than any magician. I knew he would be difficult to hit but I think I clearly hit him harder and more often than any other opponent he?s ever had! I tip my hat to Joe, to his father/trainer Enzo and to their promoter, Frank Warren.

Warren told me in the ring when it was over, ?You will be the top champ, you will be The Man, once Joe retires.? Good, sportsmanlike comments and I got more of those plus genuine applause from the punters when I walked out of the arena after doing interviews with Danish TV, with British Setanta and with HBO.

I also appreciated the fact that HBO?s Kery Davis came over to me after the press conference and told me I still figure in their plans and there are ?many? good fights which they will consider for me. Kery is a real gentleman.

I didn?t want to spoil Joe?s moment, his big night, but I wanted to ask and I ask now of Warren and Enzo and Joe, why not a rematch? But Joe made it clear as we sat on the podium, saying, ?I don?t think so because you will only do better and I may not do as well. I don?t like rematches.?

Maybe, when the magnitude of the event sinks in, Team Calzaghe will reconsider. This show was a huge commercial and artistic success and a rematch would be even more lucrative for all the involved parties.

An American reporter asked me and our American agent, Michael Marley, who I might fight next. Marley said, ?A guy who was willing to come into Joe?s kitchen and fight him right there, as Mikkel did tonight, will go anywhere and fight anybody.?

My two world title belts are suddenly gone. I miss them already. I am young, only 28, and I believe my best fights and better nights are ahead of me.

I will look at any opponent out there?IBF champ Lucien Bute, the winner of Taylor-Pavlik II, Anthony Mundine for a rematch?my options are many. I know I didn?t hurt myself, especially in the UK and America, with my performance.

I thank HBO, Setanta, Viasat in Denmark, my promoter/manager Bettina Palle, my training team and everyone else who gave me their support.

I didn?t win this fight but I believe I won over millions of fans.

I hope my effort and Joe?s give more fuel to boxing?s brilliant resurgence.

He has proven, for the moment that he is Number One at 168 pounds. If he abandons the weight, I lay claim to that position. I am not guy who is content to be Number Two in anything.

I will be back. And I will return stronger, sharper and tougher than ever. I know I am just going into my primetime years in boxing.

Again, big respect for Joe. But the best of Mikkel Kessler is yet to come!

MIKKEL KESSLER

After Juarez, JMM called out Pacquiao and the fight is again being demanded by King Sulaiman. It's already rumored to be in the works for March 15. If made, the fight would set HBO w/ shows for the start of the coming year. (RJJ-Tito, Pavlik-Taylor II, JMM-Pac II)

I didn?t win this fight but I believe I won over millions of fans.

He can count me as one - I thought he was impressive in the ring, and even more so outside it - a classy guy, and like he said he'll only get better. He probably learned more from going 12 rounds with Joe than a large number of fights combined.

I can see why Joe won't want a rematch - he wants to step-up and get Hopkins or similar.

I just hope he goes over to the states and fights, because if he really wants to cement his legacy, that is what he MUST do.

To be honest, I'd like to see him go over and take on Chad Dawson at Light Heavyweight; he's not as big a name as Hopkins or RJJ, but I think it would prove more to people.

Even if he fights and beats Hopkins (which I think he would), there will still be the 'old man' and 'past it' cop-outs.

Ideally, I'd like to see Joe step up to LH and fight both Dawson and Hopkins and in the states both times.

That would go a long way to silencing his critics.

DarienA

gollumsluvslave said:
He can count me as one - I thought he was impressive in the ring, and even more so outside it - a classy guy, and like he said he'll only get better. He probably learned more from going 12 rounds with Joe than a large number of fights combined.

Yeah I appreciated his honestly. Yes I was a hurt. Such a simple answer yet so few boxers will admit after a fight what everyone could plainly see.

cthoaa

Wish granted: Hopkins open to fight with Calzaghe (ESPN)

(The quotes are all him, sometimes talking in third person.)
"I would love to entertain his request to fight Bernard Hopkins. I think he understands now and [promoter] Frank Warren understands that he needs that final stamp of approval from the American boxing writers and the fans. He doesn't have that name of that elite opponent from America on his resume. Jeff Lacy wasn't a veteran fighter who had achieved a lot before he beat him.

"Bernard Hopkins is the guy that Calzaghe and Frank Warren believe they have to defeat to get that stamp of approval over here in America. Even though Joe had a great performance and took Kessler's game plan away, nobody here knows Kessler. They know Bernard Hopkins."

"He said after the fight that he would fight me anywhere, even in my backyard, but I'm not asking him to come to Philadelphia," Hopkins said. "I wouldn't ask him to come to anywhere but Yankee Stadium. Hopefully for boxing, and for our legacy, it will happen."

Hopkins is keenly aware of the storied boxing history of the fabled building that will close in 2008. Legends Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali, among others, all fought at Yankee Stadium, and Hopkins wants to be part of a final fight there.

"How great would it be," Hopkins said. "This is a big fight. What a great promotion. The Brits will come. They got a direct flight from there to New York City. So am I interested in the fight? Absolutely. Do I feel I can give him his first loss? Yes. Can I neutralize the best weapon my opponent has and use it against him? Yes. His best weapon is that he throws a lot of punches. I know how to adjust to any style out there."

Cthoaa:-

I noticed that on ESPN earlier, but I'm not convinced it will go ahead, and B-Hop points out why:-

"If it doesn't happen, I believe the problem at the end of the day will be Frank Warren. I believe Joe wants to fight me. I believe the only person who can stop this is Frank, because he's got one bullet in the chamber, one horse to ride in Joe."

I'd love to be wrong:D

cthoaa

"If it doesn't happen, I believe the problem at the end of the day will be Frank Warren. I believe Joe wants to fight me. I believe the only person who can stop this is Frank, because he's got one bullet in the chamber, one horse to ride in Joe."
Ha, I didnt even register that part of the article. Selective reading on my part, I guess.

After Hopkins' words to Calzaghe following the Wright bout in July and then his fond, almost romantic remembrance of the post-9-11 Tito fight at the MSG ring retirement ceremony, I think he feels strongly about being part of the closing of old Yankee Stadium. As partner of Golden Boy and taking into account their relationship w/ HBO, I think the package offered will be too attractive.

Black September and its rash of injuries aside, too many good things have been happening in and out of the ring, so I'm optimistic. It couldn't match the in-ring of Calzaghe-Kessler, I don't think, but Hopkins-Calzaghe in Yankee Stadium would be every bit the spectacle, esp. considering how well the British fans travel.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Joe Calzaghe retained the Ring super middleweight belt following his unanimous decision victory over Mikkel Kessler. Kessler remained the division's #1.

Kassim Ouma came off the junior middleweight chart after a split decision loss to Saul Roman. Sergio Martinez was voted in at number ten, w/ the previous week's six through nine all moving up.

In their pound-for-pound chart, Calzaghe moved up three spots from #8 to #5, shifting Israel Vazquez, Winky Wright, and Rafa Marquez.

The Ring's Super Middleweight Ratings for period ending November 5

C. Joe Calzaghe GBR 44-0 (32)
1. Mikkel Kessler DEN 39-1 (29)
2. Anthony Mundine AUS 29-3 (22)
3. Lucian Bute ROU 21-0 (17)
4. Jeff Lacy USA 22 -1 (17)
5. Librado Andrade MEX 26-1 (20)
6. Carl Froch GBR 21-0 (17)
7. Allan Green USA 25-1 (18)
8. Denis Inkin RUS 31-0 (24)
9. Sakio Bika CMR 23-3-2 (14)
10. Jean Pascal CAN 19-0 (14)

The Ring's Junior Middleweight Ratings for period ending November 5

1. Cory Spinks USA 36-4 (11)
2. Roman Karmazin RUS 35-2-1 (22)
3. Oscar de la Hoya USA 38-5 (30)
4. Vernon Forrest USA 39-2 (28)
5. Sergei Dzindziruk UKR 34-0 (22)
6. Joachim Alcine HAI 29-0 (18)
7. Travis Simms USA 25-1 (19)
8. Ike Quartey GHA 37-4-1 (31)
9. Verno Phillips USA 41-10-1 (21)
10. Sergio Martinez ARG 40-1-1 (21)

The Ring's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending November 5

1. Floyd Mayweather USA, welterweight
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
3. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
4. Bernard Hopkins USA, light heavyweight
5. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middleweight
6. Israel Vazquez MEX, jr. featherweight
7. Winky Wright USA, middleweight
8. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight
9. Ricky Hatton GBR, jr. welterweight
10. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight

flem1

What?! Showing no love for the Cruiserweights?? Just reminding boxing fans here that the WBC Cruiserweight Championship fight between Jean-Marc Mormeck and David Haye.

I'm picking Mormeck by the way because of his experience and good punching power but I also think he would be in trouble if the hard-hitting Haye connects to his chin.

I am just as pumped for this fight as the Cotto-Mosley bout.

Grecco

God Puerto Rico is cracy for this Cotto fight. Havent seen so much hype since the Tito vs Oscar fight. Cant wait for it :)

cthoaa

flem1 said:
What?! Showing no love for the Cruiserweights?? Just reminding boxing fans here that the WBC Cruiserweight Championship fight between Jean-Marc Mormeck and David Haye.

I'm picking Mormeck by the way because of his experience and good punching power but I also think he would be in trouble if the hard-hitting Haye connects to his chin.

I am just as pumped for this fight as the Cotto-Mosley bout.

Yah, I didn't remember it was this weekend until news of the weigh-in came. Good this is getting picked up for UK TV (Setanta?) b/c I recall the rising demand for it. There's nothing of it in the US, so I guess I'm catching the British call via sopcast. Just gotta get the time right...

cthoaa

8ayiov9.jpg

The Contender: Season Three Finale - J.Codrington vs S.Bika (Stage6)

From Tuesday. A raw, but spirited fight from both guys. Seeing Codrington lose was pretty crushing -- he looked heartbroken afterwards. He showed a lot, though, esp. in the first round as he came back strong after the knockdown. Sakio was so relentless and aggressive throughout, and by the end, he was either going around or powering through Codrington's defense w/ regularity. Jaidon just wasn't first in the majority of the exchanges.

cthoaa

I could only listen to the Mormeck-Haye audio on BBC Five Live something. Going by their call, it sounded really, really good. Just the back and forth of the bout and the finish w/ Haye coming up off the canvas to win -- awesome. The UK announce crew went nuts. Can't wait to see this.

Four non-televised fights from the MSG undercard should be streaming from Yahoo! shortly.

EDIT:

Cotto vs. Mosley Undercard Live Event (Yahoo!)

Great fight! I think that while Cotto is a great fighter, he is not in Mayweather's class. When Hatton gets humiliated next month, I think that will be the general consensus.

HokieJoe

I haven't seen Calzaghe fight yet. I know B-Hop is getting a little old, but he's one cagey motherfucker. He's beaten some great boxers on intelligence alone IMO.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
great fight, I thought it could have go both ways or hell even a draw. neither fighter deserved to lose but oh well the 'hometown' dude won.

I was pretty shocked at how the roles of each fighter reversed in the second half, Cotto boxing when he is the brawler most of the time and Mosley pressuring Cotto.

Meh, I was hoping for a different outcome. I'm tired of hearing how good Cotto is when he hasn't really been tested by top opposition yet. He's appeared too lackadaisical to me at times , specifically in his fight with Demarcus Corley in which Corley nearly put him down... and he is so slow and plodding with his movement. He wears the same constipated expression on his face A-Rod does. too. Pisses me off. I want him to see him exposed Jeff Lacy style.

For the past couple of years I wanted Ricky Hatton to be the one to ultimately crack Cotto's nut, because I felt Cotto was overrated and that Ricky would have had a pretty good chance. I'll just have to settle for Ricky getting his ultimate opportunity against Mayweather. Even though the odds seem much lower than if he'd fought Cotto at 140 a couple of years ago, the reward for beating Mayweather would be so, so very awesome. This is probably the most excited I've ever been for any sporting event in my life.

I look forward to watching this fight on HBO next week since you guys said it was so good. I'll try my best to find six rounds to give to Mosley :p

cthoaa

Error said:
great fight, I thought it could have go both ways or hell even a draw. neither fighter deserved to lose but oh well the 'hometown' dude won.

I was pretty shocked at how the roles of each fighter reversed in the second half, Cotto boxing when he is the brawler most of the time and Mosley pressuring Cotto.
Definitely. I felt the same. There was one sequence where Shane bullied Cotto into the ropes and, after the break, Cotto landed clean to Mosley's head. Crazy. And Mosley was working the body so well, and it was Cotto scoring from the outside. The jab was so big for Miguel last night. Overall, he put in a very professional performance.

Alex Anderson said:
I look forward to watching this fight on HBO next week since you guys said it was so good. I'll try my best to find six rounds to give to Mosley :p
I think you can find those and more. I had it 115-113 as the two judges did, but a couple people I was with felt Shane won.

Some of the rounds were close and decided in the last few seconds. I kinda wish that US judges would be more liberal w/ even rounds. It would have been interesting had the fight been scored under the WBC-proposed/WBA-supported half-point system.

I'd love to see a rematch. but w/ their respective careers going in the directions they are going, I don't think it's likely.

cthoaa

Lots of updates to the Ring's ratings this week.

David Haye won the Ring cruiserweight championship, stopping former champion Jean-Marc Mormeck. Mormeck was dropped to second in the division. Voters saw Steve Cunningham as the #1 contender.

Sakio Bika moved up a slot in the super-middleweight division from eighth to ninth after his technical knockout over Jaidon Codrington in the finale of "The Contender".

The welterweight chart was unchanged by this weekend's results. (Cotto, Margarito win; Mosley loses.)

In the lightweight division, Joel Casamayor retained the Ring lightweight belt, decisioning Jose Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz was moved up to sixth.

In the pound-for-pound chart, Miguel Cotto was moved up three slots from tenth to seventh and apparently pulled Hatton w/ him. (Hatton +1 to #8.) Winky Wright and Rafael Marquez both fell two slots to ninth and tenth, respectively.

The Ring's Cruiserweight Ratings for period ending November 12

C. David Haye GBR 20-1 (19)
1. Steve Cunningham USA 20-1 (10)
2. Jean-Marc Mormeck FRA 33-4 (22)
3. O'Neil Bell JAM 26-2-1 (24)
4. Krzysztof Wlodarczyk POL 38-2 (28)
5. Enzo Maccarinelli GBR 28-1 (21)
6. Firat Arslan GER 27-3-1 (18)
7. Marco Huck GER 19-0 (13)
8. Vadim Tokarev RUS 24-1-1 (17)
9. Darnell Wilson USA 22-5-3 (18)
10. Johnathan Banks USA 17-0 (13)

The Ring's Super Middleweight Ratings for period ending November 5

C. Joe Calzaghe GBR 44-0 (32)
1. Mikkel Kessler DEN 39-1 (29)
2. Anthony Mundine AUS 29-3 (22)
3. Lucian Bute ROU 21-0 (17)
4. Jeff Lacy USA 22 -1 (17)
5. Librado Andrade MEX 26-1 (20)
6. Carl Froch GBR 21-0 (17)
7. Allan Green USA 25-1 (18)
8. Sakio Bika CMR 25-3-2 (15)
9. Denis Inkin RUS 31-0 (24)
10. Jean Pascal CAN 19-0 (14)

The Ring's Welterweight Ratings for period ending November 12

C. Floyd Mayweather USA 38-0 (24)
1. Miguel Cotto PUR 31-0 (25)
2. Paul Williams USA 33-0 (24)
3. Shane Mosley USA 44-5 (37)
4. Antonio Margarito MEX 35-5 (24)
5. Zab Judah USA 35-5 (25)
6. Kermit Cintron PUR 28-1 (26)
7. Luis Collazo USA 27-3 (13)
8. Joshua Clottey GHA 32-2 (19)
9. Jackson Bonsu BEL 26-1 (23)
10. Oktay Urkal GER 38-4 (12)

The Ring's Lightweight Ratings for period ending November 12

C. Joel Casamayor CUB 34-3-1 (21)
1. Juan Diaz MEX 33-0 (17)
2. David Diaz USA 33-1-1 (17)
3. Julio Diaz USA 34-4 (25)
4. Nate Campbell USA 31-5-1 (25)
5. Michael Katsidis AUS 23-0 (20)
6. Jose Santa Cruz MEX 25-3 (14)
7. Almazbek Raimykulov KGZ 25-1-1 (14)
8. Zahir Raheem USA 28-2 (16)
9. Yuri Romanov BLR 19-2 (13)
10. Anthony Peterson USA 24-0 (17)

The Ring's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending November 12

1. Floyd Mayweather USA, welterweight
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
3. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
4. Bernard Hopkins USA, light heavyweight
5. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middleweight
6. Israel Vazquez MEX, jr. featherweight
7. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight
8. Ricky Hatton GBR, jr. welterweight
9. Winky Wright USA, middleweight
10. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight

Happy to see that Santa Cruz ends up climbing the charts in spite of how the judges scored the fight. (Small comfort, tho.) Casa no longer has room to talk about Diaz's "meaningless" belts as his new one (WBC interim lightweight) was pretty much gifted to him.

cthoaa

Agent Icebeezy said:
Mayweather/Hatton 24/7 vid
I thought this was really good but maybe not as good as the first Mayweather-DLH one. Some of the editing and music for the Hatton segments didn't seem to fit quite right, a few of the Mayweather bits seemed recycled (not a big surprise), and Billy Graham's not the foil to Roger Mayweather that Freddie Roach is. The footage from Hatton's camp and the training segments were great, though, as was the ending.

cthoaa

Vargas-Mayorga Final Press Conference (EMC)

Video from the Vargas-Mayorga final presser. Not exactly Calzaghe-Kessler or Cotto-Mosley here. :lol

A partition of some sort was put between them to prevent a redux of their previous encounter, buuuut...

8fff8na.jpg
89shhk6.jpg

...it wasn't so very strong and they wound up trying to push it into one another.

The weigh-in is imminent.

DarienA

Cintron had ALOT more trouble with Feliciano than he expected to. Feliciano has always shown a chin, and tonight that caused Cintron alot of problem. My wife thinks the stoppage was a bit too quick... I don't, but I wouldn't have had a problem with Kermit landing another combination or so. Sucks if Cintron has hurt his hand, he's in negotiation to fight another high volume puncher Paul Wiliams.

I can't believe Vargas is retiring, been crazy press conferences leading up to this fight. I expect Vargas to win, but... Mayorga is crazy enough that this should be a war....

Majority decision? Well that's what Mayorga gets for fighting in Vargas' background... I'm so tired of home cooking... still Mayorga fought with much more control than I've seen in him in awhile and he gets the decision.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Vargas got knocked on his fat-ass twice and lost a majority decision.

Anyone getting pumped up for the upcoming Hatton-Mayweather fight? The first 24/7 episode was great. Cant wait for the next one.

mrmrec2

Banned
SSGMUN10000 said:
Vargas got knocked on his fat-ass twice and lost a majority decision.

Anyone getting pumped up for the upcoming Hatton-Mayweather fight? The first 24/7 episode was great. Cant wait for the next one.

Pass. I'm never paying for a mayweather fight again. I've got burned twice. Mayweather vs. Baldomir was boring. Dela Hoya vs Mayweather was lame. Mayweather runs way too much. If ODLH or Baldomir didn't chase mayeather there would be no fight.

Mayweather isn't a fans fighter. he never presses the fight.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
mrmrec2 said:
Pass. I'm never paying for a mayweather fight again. I've got burned twice. Mayweather vs. Baldomir was boring. Dela Hoya vs Mayweather was lame. Mayweather runs way too much. If ODLH or Baldomir didn't chase mayeather there would be no fight.

Mayweather isn't a fans fighter. he never presses the fight.

Well Mayweather fights can be boring but he is still a great boxer. The DLH-Mayweather fight didnt live up to the expectations but it wasnt a completely borefest. Watch the Hatton-Mayweather 24/7 episodes. If that doesnt get u anticipating the fight then nothing will.

cthoaa

Mayweather-Hatton 24/7, Episode 2 (Vimeo)

Good show. When Baldomir showed up on screen, I was hoping there'd be some interaction b/w he and Mayweather, but I guess no. It was cool that he (Baldomir) was helping w/ the sparring even though he had a fight later that week. (Baldomir W10)

Mayweather came across as very vulnerable. Not that these will necessarily affect the fight, but here he's openly discussing his hand, back, elbow woes and then on the DWTS Finale this week, he sat out his return dance b/c of a tender ankle.

Ricky mocking Floyd's padwork was funny.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I finally got around to watching the Calzaghe Kessler fight the other day on a DVD a friend of mine burnt for me. I was avoiding reading anything about boxing so I wouldn't know who won and man, I really thought before the fight that Kessler was going to win. While Calzaghe won the fight through and through, it was still an excellent fight and Kessler had a great attitude after it too. Best of luck to both of them. The fight made one of my friends into a guy who wants to watch boxing avidly. Me and a couple of guys are going to order the Mayweather fight and it should be pretty tops of the pops I hope.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
cthoaa said:
Mayweather-Hatton 24/7, Episode 2 (Vimeo)

Good show. When Baldomir showed up on screen, I was hoping there'd be some interaction b/w he and Mayweather, but I guess no. It was cool that he (Baldomir) was helping w/ the sparring even though he had a fight later that week. (Baldomir W10)

Mayweather came across as very vulnerable. Not that these will necessarily affect the fight, but here he's openly discussing his hand, back, elbow woes and then on the DWTS Finale this week, he sat out his return dance b/c of a tender ankle.

Ricky mocking Floyd's padwork was funny.

That was cool, thanks.

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:
Tonight we get the 3rd installment of Hatton-Mayweather 24/7. Did anyone catch yesterday's fights?

Episode three was good.

Floyd running all those red lights was the dumbest thing, but it was early in the morning and I guess he knows his town. His putting down of Ricky's training was pretty weak and was only saved by Uncle Roger. ("I don' know what the fuck that gonna do." :lol)

The footage of Lehkei Mayweather vs. the dishwasher was great.

Hatton was funny as usual ("750 on the wrist."), but I can't remember what else there was of him aside from the training. Lots of family stuff in this ep.

I'm slowly trying to catch up on the past weekend's fights over YouTube. Good, clean flurries to close out the Donaire-Maldonado and the JCC Jr-Sanchez fights. The Arce win sets up a fight vs. Martin Castillo. which'll be great.

J.Arce vs M.Singsurat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHvJXV7Kiv4

J.C.Chavez Jr. vs R.Sanchez
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNewLslfzk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzLT4eI-byo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJfDHwq_RQI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlDK8or7Vxc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XjERPiz_l4

N.Donaire vs L.Maldonado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3yUO3-aw94

Top Bottom