• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy Scouts of America will allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/826221521744052225

JUST IN: Boy Scouts of America will allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll in scouting programs, AP reports.

Huge victory for the LBGT movement.

http://www.thewrap.com/boy-scouts-america-admit-transgender-boys/

The Boy Scouts of America will allow transgender children who identify as boys to enroll in scouting programs, a spokesperson for the organization has confirmed to TheWrap.

”While we offer a number of programs that serve all youth, Cub Scouting and Boy Scouting are specifically designed to meet the needs of boys," Effie Delimarkos, director of communications for the organization, said in a statement obtained by TheWrap. ”For more than 100 years, the Boy Scouts of America, along with schools, youth sports and other youth organizations, have ultimately deferred to the information on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for our single-gender programs. However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state.

The statement continued, ”Starting today, we will accept and register youth in the Cub and Boy Scout programs based on the gender identity indicated on the application. Our organization's local councils will help find units that can provide for the best interest of the child."

Hylian7

Progress... For sure. Still not where they need to be, as there are still issues like not allowing gay scoutmasters. The is also discrimination against non-religious scouts, despite it not being focused on religion at all.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Great news.

For some reason I thought this already happened last year. I must be thinking of something else they announced.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
#BoycottOfAmerica coming in 3, 2, 1

PSqueak

Banned
Hold on, but aren't the BSA still a pretty backwards organization? are there any guarantees that they won't subject them to poorly disguised conversion therapies?

Ourobolus

Banned
Conservative families boycotting the Boy Scouts in 3...2...1...

fuck them, let them boycott

Hold on, but aren't the BSA still a pretty backwards organization? are there any guarantees that they won't subject them to poorly disguised conversion therapies?

While some people at the top may take issue with it, the BSA is still primarily handled at a local level. Depends on the Troop Leaders, I guess, if they're going to be assholes.

Cptkrush

Awesome! This will inevitably be spun into some "Gay Agenda" rhetoric, but fuck those clowns. Let people be who they feel like they should be, and stop being judgmental pricks.

Still not making cookies? Still not interested.

Honestly they should combine the two organizations as one super group of teaching kids how to do shit.

About the only way I think we can survive all of this is if we continue not allowing the far right to have cultural victories, and sow the seeds for the future. Our generation is fucked, but maybe they can have a chance if the world isn't a total shithole by then

Conservative families boycotting the Boy Scouts in 3...2...1...

I can see this being a thing here in Utah, where Boy Scouts are generally tied to the LDS Church... At least in my experience growing up LDS and in the Boy Scouts.

EDIT: I actually remember when it was a struggle to even have gay kids in the Boy Scouts. I'm glad that they are making such big strides in this regard.

As an Eagle Scout this makes me really happy. The Boy Scouts aren't by any means perfect, but it's a great place to learn many life skills you don't learn in public school. The more inclusive they are the better.

One of these days I'm going to learn not to read the comments....

Anyway, this is awesome news! Glad to see a glimmer of hope in this world.

Good to see them finally come around on this stuff. I'm an Eagle Scout myself and I rarely bring it up because of how backwards and outdated most of their views have been for so long.

Nice to see some progress at the national level of the organization. As an Eagle Scout I am very appreciative of the years I spent in the program and the skills and passions I fostered within it. It is always nice to see the organization become more inclusive so all can share my experience, even if the progress is a bit of a slow trickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom