• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy Scouts sued by grieving parents over hike that ended in death

Dalek

Boy Scouts sued by grieving parents over hike that ended in death

19424004_1339813692782457_4616034062275606865_n.jpg

All of 15 years old, Reid Comita was a lover of the color orange, Chick-fil-A and his family dog. He'd been a member of the show choir and the men's chorus during his freshman year of high school. Soon he would start driving lessons.

In June, Reid hoped to pass one more coming-of-age milestone: becoming an Eagle Scout. To complete a final requirement, he opted for an ”Intro to Backpacking" course, which included two days of training and a three-day backpacking trip under the blistering Texas summer skies, as the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

Yet when his parents sent him off to the Buffalo Trail Scout Ranch in West Texas, they had no way of knowing their child would never return.

On June 12, Reid collapsed and died from heatstroke while on a hike on which his parents say he never should have embarked. In late August, Reid's parents, John and Copper Comita, filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against the Boy Scouts in Dallas County. Now they are speaking out.

”The Boy Scouts of America are responsible for my son's death. It's that simple," John Comita recently told the local news channel WFAA.

Seated at a wooden table in their home, the couple looked down at their son's Scout shirt, now mounted on a display board instead of on their child's back.

The suit was first reported by WFAA and subsequently covered by the Dallas Morning News and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, among other regional news outlets.

It alleges that Reid Comita did not sign up for the ”extremely aggressive hike" on a day where temperatures neared 100 degrees, the newspapers reported. The hike was far too advanced for his level of physical fitness, the suit said.

Moreover, the suit alleges that the hike was improperly supervised. Two adults are required by Boy Scouts safety rules. Reid, they say, was sent out with only an 18-year-old leader and a 14-year-old boy.

The Comita family told WFAA that their son's local Boy Scout troop has been very supportive but that they had not heard from the national organization. A statement from the Boy Scouts sent to WFAA said the group would ”keep the family in our thoughts and prayers."

”The health and safety of our youth members is of paramount importance to the BSA, and integral to everything we do," the statement read. ”We strive to create a safe environment for youth to experience outdoor adventure."

In June, the Star-Telegram reported that after Comita succumbed to the heat, no ambulance could immediately reach him. Once paramedics arrived, they performed CPR on the boy for more than an hour, according to a Facebook post by John Comita announcing his son's death.

”Pray for my family for strength and remember Reid as a loving caring young man," the post read. ”He hated no one and saw the best [in] everyone. A smart loving young man gone too early with so much to offer."

The lawsuit further alleges that the Comitas weren't notified of Reid's death for more than four hours as they frantically tried to gather information about their son.

”We were calling, and no one could give us a straight answer as to how he was," Copper Comita told WFAA.

Reid Comita's Eagle Scout project was to build a playhouse and landscape area for a local home for women and children in crisis, reported the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. After his death, members of the North Texas scouting community planned to complete the project in his honor.

Reid Comita's rank of Eagle Scout was awarded posthumously.

Giving the rank of Eagle Scout posthumously might as well be an admission of guilt.

As an Eagle Scout, they deserve every penny in court.

Beartruck

Eagle scout here who did a 50 mile trek with a 45 lb pack when I was 16:

Those treks can be absolutely brutal and to not have the proper supervision and ensure that he received proper hydration is insane carelessness. What a shitty troop.

hoserx

As a twice a month backpacker, sometimes you just have to either a) not go, or b) severely reduce the mileage you plan to go in weather like this. This is awful and it's sad that whoever the "guide" or "leader" was didn't consider this. 18 year olds don't make the best decisions, generally. Sad for everyone involved, including the Boy Scouts as an organization.

frogger

My son just told me that he wants to join boy scouts. I heard that they are a very conservative group, I am not sure if it is a good idea. I need to do more research on them.

Jonnax

My son just told me that he wants to join boy scouts. I heard that they are a very conservative group, I am not sure if it is a good idea. I need to do more research on them.

Watch Trump's speech to them. Listen to the cheers.

Beartruck

The very top of the org is mormon controlled, but generally the rest of them aren't too bad. Heck, they recently just allowed transgender children to join.

If the BSA is for you is veeeery YMMV. I'd check out the local troop before making any final decision.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You guys are very confused if you think it was some BSA regulation that caused this kid to die. It was bad leadership at the local level to let an 18 year old kid lead the hike.

Their actual ideals are quite good and positive. I would find another parent or scout leader and do some intensive questioning because it varies greatly on a local level.

My opinion of Boy Scouts (as an organization) has dropped dramatically in the last few years. I'd be hesitant to let my kids join it as well without further research.

jstripes

Banned

I don't know about the US, but my experience with them in Canada was very positive. They never tried to indoctrinate us with any ideology other than to be helpful and good to others, and to respect nature of course.

blugbox

Neo Member
I feel so sorry for this poor kid, RIP.

I remember hating the boy scouts especially for the ridiculous hikes we had to take. I love nature and hiking, but they turn it into like military camp or something that completely ruins what fun these kids should be having.

I remember doing like a 15-20 mile hike at like 12 or 13 years old to the top of a mountain, and it was truly hell. My legs gave out at one point and I just remember feeling so helpless, like you don't want to let anyone down, but you know you are pushing way too far.

Of course, later in that hike, one of the adult leaders legs also gave out and he fell pretty hard... of course they let off a bit after that...

I truly hope this poor kid didn't go out like that... pushing his body so far past it's limits just to not feel like the loser of the group... Rest In Peace child

hoserx

You guys are very confused if you think it was some BSA regulation that caused this kid to die. It was bad leadership at the local level to let an 18 year old kid lead the hike.

Exactly. It's like an error at a local Wal Mart. There are thousands of BSA troops. This is really awful, but when you're a huge group, things happen. It doesn't make it any less sad.

hoserx

Just recently? that's not good, shouldn't be a problem to start with. I guess I don't want to be associated with this kind of group.

So at what date would they have had to allow Transgendered children into the BSA for you to approve? If groups can't change and receive approval, why are we even trying for social change?

Laieon

On the other hand, as an eagle scout I saw on overwhelmingly negative response to that online. Most people I knew thought it was disgusting. I've found "politics" definitely varies from troop to troop. Mine didn't mention it at all in the 10 years I was involved in scouts (1998-2008/9ish). Most of the time we just sat around playing candyland or pokemon and hung out with each other. Definitely don't think I was ever "indoctrinated" into any kind of ideology unless that ideology involves strongly disliking the outdoors, mostly for the same reasons that caused this young man's death (I grew up in Texas as well).

Fuchsdh

The Boy Scouts even at the level of Dallas County aren't responsible, here, it's the local troop leaders that sent them out with no adults contrary to stated policy. But I guess because the parents know them and they're grieving they're easy targets for some lawyers who want to make money by targeting people up the food chain.

I'm actually not familiar with what power the higher-ups have in regards to removing adult leaders, but at least on their end they should look into kicking out the people who gave the go-ahead for the hike.

MrNelson

Banned
Troops will vary by location, but they are all dependent on the parents willing to lend their spare time to the organization. Some will be more conservative, some will be more liberal, plenty have no lean either direction. I was a part of the organization from Tiger Cub all the way to Eagle and overall it was a positive experience and I feel that it shaped me into the person I am today.

Fuck out of here with that shit. These are children and individual troops are generally apolitical.

frogger

So at what date would they have had to allow Transgendered children into the BSA for you to approve? If groups can't change and receive approval, why are we even trying for social change?

There are other issues. I read they don't let non believers to become leader. Wouldn't that be considered discriminate against atheist?

Beartruck

Just recently? that's not good, shouldn't be a problem to start with. I guess I don't want to be associated with this kind of group.
For an organization that is aimed exclusively at boys, that is a very big step for them and should not be dismissed.

I will say that individual troops can be pretty different, and are often the source of change. I would check out the local Boy Scout Troops and see who runs them.

Some will have nice conservative people, some will have asshole conservative people, and some will be more liberal leaning (albeit, just as likely to be nice / assholes).

You can kill someone who isn't acclimated to higher temperatures and physical exertion. This happens every summer to high school football players in the US.

Similar to a religious group there's troops that do a lot of good/have great values and then there's those that are very conservative, discriminate against lgbtq people and cheered Trump talking about having sex on his yacht. Personally I quit because I saw jackass kids who dealt drugs or were jerks to younger scouts get leadership positions or even eagle scout because "their dad did a lot for the troops". Hell I was (accidentally but still stupidly) lit on fire by a kid who got his eagle scout like a year or two later. I also grew up in a pretty affluent area where that kind of behavior could be seen from lots of groups, it wasn't exclusive to scouts.

I've also heard stories of some awesome troops that really make a big difference for their community but it's something you have to carefully vet (meaning you might have to get involved with volunteering with the troop).

As someone who had to finish a hike on a fractured ankle during my time in scouts, I find this story sadly believable.

When you're away at camp, your safety is very much at the discretion of the fucks given by your Scout master (or whomever he/she put in charge).

MrNelson

Banned
Personally I quit because I saw jackass kids who dealt drugs or were jerks to younger scouts get leadership positions or even eagle scout because "their dad did a lot for the troops".
I'm sorry to hear that kind of stuff happened in your troop :/

In my troop all of the leadership positions (SPL, PL, Quatermaster, etc.) were voted on each term by the boys. The only appointed positions were their assistants, who were picked by the boys that were elected.
As someone who had to finish a hike on a fractured ankle during my time in scouts, I find this story sadly believable.

When you're away at camp, your safety is very much at the discretion of the fucks given by your Scout master (or whomever he/she put in charge).

Yikes, that sucks to hear. I remember I took a huge fall mountain biking at summer camp once and ended up with this huge deep-tissue bruise up the length of my forearm and some cuts and scrapes on my arms and legs. The leaders running the group were ready to radio for a med-boat to take me to the clinic (we were on the other side of the lake the camp was on), but I turned it down because I wasn't hurting too bad and just walked the rest of the course with the leader behind me and got bandaged up when we got back.

This is true, but at a national level they require some sort of religious spiritual belief to be a Scout. I mean, "to do my duty to God and my country" is right there in the stuff Scouts learn.

I was off and on in the scouts all the different places I lived during my childhood.
religion was never a real part of it besides a few of the dens being on church property.

I definitely saw cases like this though with camping, hikes, etc without enough supervision.

TheContact

Poor kid RIP. I feel the Boy Scouts are at fault for this especially since he wasn't properly supervised, regardless of his physical condition

Top Bottom