• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boy Scouts to allow transgender boys to join

Boy Scouts has had a quick turn around on equality. 3 years ago gays to join. 2 since gays could become scout leaders. The Girl scouts already had policies in place but girls tend to mature faster than boys.

(CNN)The Boy Scouts of America says it will begin accepting members based on their gender identity, opening the door for transgender boys to join.

Under the new policy, which takes effect immediately, membership in Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts will be based on the gender indicated on an application.

Previously, the organization relied on an individual's birth certificate to determine eligibility for its single-gender programs.

"However, that approach is no longer sufficient as communities and state laws are interpreting gender identity differently, and these laws vary widely from state to state," BSA spokeswoman Effie Delimarkos said in a statement Monday.

The change brings the Boy Scouts in line with other youth organizations, including the Girl Scouts, that have created transgender-friendly membership policies in recent years.

It comes a few months after an 8-year-old Cub Scout in New Jersey accused the organization of expelling him for being transgender.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/01/30/us/boy-scouts-transgender-membership/index.html

Here's a novel idea, integrate boys, girls, trans into just scouts. Segregation on gender, gender identity is stupid.

Fuckin' beaten. Damn.

Excellent news. But at this point why not just have a gender inclusive "Scouts" for anyone?

I'm surprised this still hasn't happened. I remember when my oldest did Girl Scouts, she was dismayed at my stories of the cool shit we did in Boy Scouts, because they weren't getting to do any of that stuff.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Scouts have been great recently. And America hasn't collapsed. Be great to combine boy and girl scouts and get rid of garbage tier tagalongs in favor of more samoas.

Elwainen

I always found this whole thing kinda amusing because it literally says in the boy scout pledge to be "morally straight"

at any rate this is good news

That's so weird to hear, here they combined the sexes ages ago and just assumed it was an worldwide thing, great they're doing it though. Now just just go that next step and abolish the gated sex groups altogether.

eosos

Banned
Here's a novel idea, integrate boys, girls, trans into just scouts. Segregation on gender, gender identity is stupid.

Fuckin' beaten. Damn.
Apparently the two organizations are way different and the executives all hate the other organization's respective company culture. Would be cool if there was a third 'scout' option that was separate from either that took everyone.

I'm surprised this still hasn't happened. I remember when my oldest did Girl Scouts, she was dismayed at my stories of the cool shit we did in Boy Scouts, because they weren't getting to do any of that stuff.

Yeah. We were making pine derby cars, camping, tieing knots. The girls were making cupcakes, playing kickball and sewing (my dad made me learn basics of sewing. He was an eagle scout/air force).

MrNelson

Banned
Apparently the two organizations are way different and the executives all hate the other organization's respective company culture. Would be cool if there was a third 'scout' option that was separate from either that took everyone.
Venture Scouts.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Venture Scouts.

1280x720-Q3f.jpg

The Girl Scouts are an extremely progressive organization while the Boy Scouts are a horrible one.
This.

The Boy Scouts management would be absolute dead weight to the direction Girl Scouts have been going in for over a decade, in both progressive social values and training for practical job skills.

Wag

This.

The Boy Scouts management would be absolute dead weight to the direction Girl Scouts have been going in for over a decade, in both progressive social values and training for practical job skills.

I was going to mention this. The Girls Scouts have been a very progressive organization. They'd be better off if they kept separate from the Boy Scouts, and just let boys into their organization.

Yeah. We were making pine derby cars, camping, tieing knots. The girls were making cupcakes, playing kickball and sewing (my dad made me learn basics of sewing. He was an eagle scout/air force).

She really wanted to shoot guns and learn how to use a bow and arrow. She was actually a pretty decent shot the one time I've taken her shooting.

120v

i was a scout in the 90s and made it to Eagle... been with a mormon and catholic troop with gays, nobody cared.

weird hearing about all this "progress" the institution made in all that time but i guess it has to be officiated. i guess there's thousands of troops out there run by assholes

RinsFury

Nice step, but the different organizations need to be combined into a gender neutral Scouts program, as mentioned. Something that can be inclusive of everyone.

Loxley

Nice step, but the different organizations need to be combined into a gender neutral Scouts program, as mentioned. Something that can be inclusive of everyone.

I'm telling you now, when word reaches every boy scout in the country that there will now be girls at their summer camps, they will TRAMPLE over each other to get there XD I remember those achingly-long weeks at scout camp when I was a teenager, stuck in a gross campground with 200 other horny teenage boys. With no smartphones or internet, by the end of the week we were all dying just to see the sight of a female anything.

DocSeuss

I'm telling you now, when word reaches every boy scout in the country that there will now be girls at their summer camps, they will TRAMPLE over each other to get there XD I remember those achingly-long weeks at scout camp when I was a teenager, stuck in a gross campground with 200 other horny teenage boys. With no smartphones or internet, by the end of the week we were all dying just to see the sight of a female anything.

and now you know why they're kept separate

Sunster

This.

but we camped sometimes and made spaghetti and sold expensive bags of popcorn.

RedHill

Banned
You can have that without assimilating the boy and Girl Scouts. A lot of kids want to interact in environments with other children of their own gender. A lot of little girls don't want to be forced in environments with little boys constantly and vice versa

Zornack

The BSA and GSUSA are two completely separate corporations, each with their own leadership, holdings and one hundred year old histories. Saying they should merge is like saying The Coca-Cola Company and PepsiCo should merge because they both make cola.

Brenal

Why the scouts arent gender segregated in other countrys? I mean here in Mexico when i always saw a scout group there were always a male and females leaders,diferent organizations?

Good on them!

Allowing girls in the BSA probably isn't the way to go. There's nothing wrong with gender specific social clubs/organizations. Organizations should exist where girls can interact with other girls in their own age group, without having boys there and vice versa.

I guess scout leadership at the top has been pretty awful. The troop I was in had all kinds--they didn't care. I still use a lot of the skills I learned in scouts--knots, how to build a fire, using a map/compass to orient yourself, gun safety, cooking, auto repair, first aid/CPR...the art of silver turtle making. If you have a girl in Girl Scouts and they aren't doing these things, I would take it up with that organization's leadership.

A third option (integrating scouting) is just fine too.

Faiz

Great, now unify boy and girl scouts like the rest of the world.

Has that been happening? That's great if so.

As progressive as these moves are I can't see unification of the two in the US anytime soon though. That would take another generation imo.

HvySky

This is awesome! As others have said, merging the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts is the next step. Scouts for everybody!

Scouts have been great recently. And America hasn't collapsed. Be great to combine boy and girl scouts and get rid of garbage tier tagalongs in favor of more samoas.

Had to reread that closing line. On first glance I saw get rid of those garbage Tagalogs for more Samoans and was thinking "WTF is this shit?"

Glad to see this. Not sure why you guys are so keen on merging the 2. Not everything needs to be gender neutral. There are vast differences in their methods so it would basically be destroying both and creating a completely new organization from scratch. Very hard sell.

Fuchsdh

Yeah I'm not sure what benefit there would be to merging the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts besides some idea that it's "better" because it'd be gender-neutral. If trans and LGBT people are accepted there's no real issues with exclusion. You wanna shoot guns, do real camping, and not hawk cookies you see almost no money from, take it up with the Girl Scout troops.

This.

I mean, I don't think the whole point of Scouts is job training, but you mind telling me how Girl Scouts is so great in this area? Everything on their site seems analogous to Boy Scouts' "real world" elements like service projects and the like.

Top Bottom