• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Broken Sword 2 The Smoking Mirror: Remastered |OT| (iOS & PC/Mac)

r2mctc.jpg

Revolution.co.uk said:
I am delighted that finally we can announce about our next game, ‘Broken Sword – the Smoking Mirror: Remastered’ which will be available on iPad / iPhone / iPod touch very shortly, and PC / Mac very early next year. It has been a fantastic project to work on, and wonderful to have had the opportunity to improve key elements of the original and add special features. Along with an exclusive new interactive digital comic, from my friend Dave Gibbons, the game now has fully animated facial expressions, enhanced graphics throughout, high quality music as well as a context-sensitive hint system, and diary. The game also features Dropbox integration which facilitates a unique cross-platform save-game feature, enabling players to enjoy the same adventure simultaneously on multiple devices, full Game Centre integration – including in-game achievements – and many other enhancements.

The story sees the return of George Stobbart and Nico Collard. While investigating a ruthless drug gang, journalist Nico Collard unexpectedly comes across an ancient artefact. Little can she know that the ornately carved obsidian stone will lead her, and her adventuring companion George Stobbart, into a mysterious escapade of intrigue and deceit, in which they must overcome powerful forces and antagonists who will stop at nothing to fulfil their evil ambitions.

Publishing through the App Store has offered us huge opportunities. As well as allowing us to communicate directly with our audience, we are now in the position where we can re-work our original games while simultaneously writing new adventure titles. It is an extraordinary time for the games industry and for independent developers in particular.

We have added a ‘feedback’ button which will allow you to email us comments. We value these comments very highly – both the positive and the negative. Going forward we will Tweet and post new entries to Facebook – please do follow @revbot and / or me, @charlescecil, or Revolution Games on Facebook.

I really hope that you enjoy the game.

Charles Cecil

Unlike the last release it doesn't look like this one will be coming to DS and Wii, at least not any time soon.

For those who can't be bothered reading the above, here's a summary:
  • Coming to iOS "shortly" with PC/Mac versions to follow early next year
  • Key elements improved from the original, special features add
  • New interactive comic from Dave Gibbons
  • Fully animated facial animations (Unclear whether this is referring to the same close-up panels from Broken Sword: Directors Cut)
  • Enhanced graphics throughout, high quality music
  • Hint system returns
  • Dropbox integration, cross-platform saving! (Presumably across iOS devices and PC?)
  • Full Game Centre integration including achievements

Will update the OP with more info/media as it's released.

Screenshots:
16h3h8j.jpg

2rw9441.jpg

qrc87q.jpg

2n6f0o8.jpg

2r5tblu.jpg

9j2gkw.jpg

2yva2ad.jpg

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZhiFwaQ2aQ

randomlyrossy said:
Unlike the last release it doesn't look like this one will be coming to DS and Wii, at least not any time soon.

Unsurprising - sales figures on both weren't too impressive from what I recall, and I suspect digital distribution on PC/Mac and the iOS platforms is just far more appealing financially. Not to mention that publishers will be unlikely to touch anything like this with a bargepole now.

After playing the remastered version of the first game I also re-played the second game and boy does it pale in comparison to the first, IMO.

At the right price I might still buy this thought just to support the way in which adventure games should be remastered like this.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haven't played a Broken Sword game in years. Was the remastered edition of the original also released on the PC?

JaseC said:
Haven't played a Broken Sword game in years. Was the remastered edition of the original also released on the PC?

It's up on Steam for fairly cheap, I think you can get it on a couple of other digital distribution sites too.

Edit: What he said ^^ :lol

SmokyDave

Nice, I'll be grabbing this to go with the first one (which I bought 6 months ago and still haven't played yet).

szaromir

Banned
I still have a copy of the original version... I don't think "enhancements" could justify buying a new version in my case (also, I heard they were lackluster in the previous BS).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Radogol said:
Yes! A resounding yes!

randomlyrossy said:
It's up on Steam for fairly cheap, I think you can get it on a couple of other digital distribution sites too.

Edit: What he said ^^ :lol

Cheers! I am ashamed that I managed to miss the announcement.

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Broken Sword 2 felt short and weak compared to the first. This one can actually benefit from a bit of fleshing out.

I'll get both at the same time when I feel like going through them again. I'll skip the rest, I played through BS3, but that wasn't nearly as good as the first two, and 4 I only played for a few minutes.

Peff

szaromir said:
I still have a copy of the original version... I don't think "enhancements" could justify buying a new version in my case (also, I heard they were lackluster in the previous BS).

Well, you could even argue if they are enhancements to begin with. Nico's little adventure was decent, but it did screw up the pacing and introduction, and the rest was pretty hit and miss... removing the death sequences and the ancillary dialogue, the new lines (with different actors for some dubs), etc. They're not bad additions, but they streamlined the game, probably too much. I suppose they'll be similar here, with no extra playable segments this time.

Haunted

Cool! It might not be as iconic as the first one, but I remember actually liking this one more when it first came out.

Will definitely buy this.

Suairyu

Banned
Ehhh... whilst the second one was still in the mid-to-upper echelons of adventure gaming, it had nowhere near the same highs the first one did. Where the first one is a game I'd recommend to everyone, the second one would only be cautiously suggested to fans of the original.

Suairyu said:
Ehhh... whilst the second one was still in the mid-to-upper echelons of adventure gaming, it had nowhere near the same highs the first one did. Where the first one is a game I'd recommend to everyone, the second one would only be cautiously suggested to fans of the original.
Agreed,
If this is a success I hope they make a new 2d Broken Sword one that retcons 3 and 4 out of existence.

Peff said:
Well, you could even argue if they are enhancements to begin with. Nico's little adventure was decent, but it did screw up the pacing and introduction, and the rest was pretty hit and miss... removing the death sequences and the ancillary dialogue, the new lines (with different actors for some dubs), etc. They're not bad additions, but they streamlined the game, probably too much. I suppose they'll be similar here, with no extra playable segments this time.

I get the feeling they're taking on board the criticisms people had of the Directors Cut so I'm cautiously optimistic they won't be quite as harsh with the streamlining on this one.

Have updated the OP with screeshots.

Other than the dialogue changes (especially the first bit after the bomb went off) I liked the changes they made last time. Nico's adventure was fun and I hate dying in adventure games, so getting rid of that was great.

Suairyu

Banned
Holy shit, the screenshots just loaded for me. Those portraits are goddamn ugly. I'm sticking with my original copy for sure.

Suairyu said:
Holy shit, the screenshots just loaded for me. Those portraits are goddamn ugly. I'm sticking with my original copy for sure.

Personally I think they're alot better looking than the ones from the Directors Cut, which I really didn't like.

They still look a little too clean to me though, it'll be interesting to see them animated though. There was very minimal animation on the DC ones.

Suairyu

Banned
randomlyrossy said:
Personally I think they're alot better looking than the ones from the Directors Cut, which I really didn't like.

They still look a little too clean to me though, it'll be interesting to see them animated though. There was very minimal animation on the DC ones.
They clash horribly with the lower-resolution background. It's like looking at a low-resolution 360 game, upscaled with a HD HUD slapped on top, except worse.

jarosh

"enhanced graphics" :lol

they just upscaled the original low-res backgrounds and applied a bunch of shitty looking photoshop filters.

That game was so awesome! Broken Sword, Beneath a Steel Sky, Gabriel Knight, Tex Murphy games and Toonstruck are some of the best games ever!

I actually quite liked The Smoking Mirror, especially the first half of the game. That infamous dock scenario has stuck with me since I played it, much like many of the scenes from the original. There was just something intoxicating about the sound design, the darkened sky, the murky water, the cosy warmth of the little security shack...fond memories indeed.

CiSTM

Banned
jarosh said:
"enhanced graphics" :lol

they just upscaled the original low-res backgrounds and applied a bunch of shitty looking photoshop filters.

Was going to say something along those lines. Still if you haven't played the game I guess this could be the version to get. Personally I will manage with the GOG version.

LiK

I remember being really disappointed with this sequel after playing the first one which was amazing. The story wasn't as interesting and the final puzzle was so damn obnoxious.

CiSTM said:
Was going to say something along those lines. Still if you haven't played the game I guess this could be the version to get. Personally I will manage with the GOG version.

There's a pack with the 3 first games for 9 bucks on steam.

Boerseun

Banned
I bought the first one on Wii. I'll buy the second one on Wii also (whenever that is).

My opinion on how the two compare from completing the PC versions:

Broken Sword 1 = great story and supporting characters; duff puzzle design
Broken Sword 2 = great puzzle design; duff story and supporting characters

I like George and Nicole in all four games (despite the ever changing voice actors on the latter).

They really should just go ahead and port all four games to Wii. Don't think about it too much. Just do it. :D

I would also love to see the Runaway series on Wii but I realise that's another developer/publisher. At least Wii will be getting So Blonde in late March next year. That's another excellent recent adventure game, with similar style and humour.

Larsen B

Pylon_Trooper said:
I actually quite liked The Smoking Mirror, especially the first half of the game. That infamous dock scenario has stuck with me since I played it, much like many of the scenes from the original. There was just something intoxicating about the sound design, the darkened sky, the murky water, the cosy warmth of the little security shack...fond memories indeed.

The "hot" open!

The security guard cooking beans!

Titipoco!

The jail break out!

Secret Agent Duane!

Ketch's Landing!

The easter eggs!

The atmosphere isn't as perfect as with BS1 but, yeah, this game is great.

Boerseun said:
I bought the first one on Wii. I'll buy the second one on Wii also (whenever that is).

My opinion on how the two compare from completing the PC versions:

Broken Sword 1 = great story and supporting characters; duff puzzle design
Broken Sword 2 = great puzzle design; duff story and supporting characters

I like George and Nicole in all four games (despite the ever changing voice actors on the latter).

They really should just go ahead and port all four games to Wii. Don't think about it too much. Just do it. :D

I would also love to see the Runaway series on Wii but I realise that's another developer/publisher. At least Wii will be getting So Blonde in late March next year. That's another excellent recent adventure game, with similar style and humour.

While it's not impossible I think it's pretty unlikely we'll see this on Wii and/or DS. Revolution seem to have found the digitial distribution method to be a far better business model. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Boerseun said:

I think the second Runaway (maybe the third one too?) is out in Europe for the Wii. I think they're mostly awful though, so I don't miss them.

On the other hand, I really liked Broken Sword 2. Not as good as the first one, mostly because it was too short and big chunks of the plot seemed to be flat out missing. But it still had some funny lines and amusing characters.

JohngPR

Man, a lot of haterade being passed around in this thread.

I was never a PC gamer growing up so the DC of the first one was my first experience with the series.

I had originally got it on the DS and switched over to iPhone when they had a sale and I saw how much better it was compared to the DS one...that one didn't even have voice acting. -_-

Anyway, I was hoping they made a director's cut of this one, so I guess I won't be playing anymore of it on Steam. (Wonder if the progress I already have on the steam version can be carried over once this one comes out on iphone?).

Catshade

Incidentally, GOG.com has a Broken Sword series promo this weekend. 60% off (around $7) if you get all three (BS1: Director's Cut, BS2 Original, and BS3), or 30% off for individual titles (around $4 each). 7 bucks is a great entry price for experiencing the whole series (sans BS4), IMHO.

hiro4

Cosmonaut X said:
Unsurprising - sales figures on both weren't too impressive from what I recall, and I suspect digital distribution on PC/Mac and the iOS platforms is just far more appealing financially. Not to mention that publishers will be unlikely to touch anything like this with a bargepole now.

I bought the Wii version, thinking it would be awesome to play with the Wiimote.
And I was right.
Unfortunately they didn't test the game very good. Or at all on the Wii.
I can't even read the text on screen. It is just as bad as playing Dead Rising on an old TV.

Regarding this game I'm glad that this version is coming to OSX also.
BS2 was my first game in the series and have fond memories of it.
Can't wait to replay it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Safe to assume this'll have retina display? The screenshots definitely look better than the first remake.

Catshade said:
Incidentally, GOG.com has a Broken Sword series promo this weekend. 60% off (around $7) if you get all three (BS1: Director's Cut, BS2 Original, and BS3), or 30% off for individual titles (around $4 each). 7 bucks is a great entry price for experiencing the whole series (sans BS4), IMHO.
3 isn't half as bad as most people make out, either. I'd say it's probably as good as 2, if not better.

Clunky controls aside.

Foliorum Viridum said:
After playing the remastered version of the first game I also re-played the second game and boy does it pale in comparison to the first, IMO.

Agreed. Broken Sword Director's Cut is the first time I played a Broken Sword game and I loved it. It's actually one of my favorite Wii games. Afterward I tracked down a PS1 copy of the second one and was underwhelmed. I didn't really like the setting, the load times on the PS1 are awful, some of the puzzles were really, really obtuse like the fort scene pictured in this thread. I did play the third one and, despite the hate, actually liked it better than the second. I haven't played the fourth because everyone says it's horrible.

randomwab

This is excellent news. Oh, how I love Broken Sword. Forgot all about the movie set on Zombie Island. And Emily. And the farting dock worker. Getting the wanker art critic drunk.

Damn, can't wait.

Can you turn off the blue dots that tell you where to click in this one? It often took the fun out of the hunt in the first DC.

Mr_Zombie

Foliorum Viridum said:
3 isn't half as bad as most people make out, either. I'd say it's probably as good as 2, if not better.

BS3 has great dialogues (especially between George and Nico) and nice art style (I dunno why they went into more "realistic" art style in BS4). However, the entire game is build around gamepad controller - it's full of chest pushing, sneaking sections, QTE, action sequences and very simple puzzles :/

Also, why the hell do those backgrounds look so bad, so fuzzy? I replayed Broken Sword 1 some time ago and I don't remember them looking so bad.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
It probably didn't sell very well on Wii and rightfully so since they charged $50 for it. I'm a fan of the series and was really excited when the Wii remake was announced but I saw the price and just facepalmed. Still haven't bought a copy yet because I was so turned off by that. They really can only charge $10-$15 max for stuff like this so DD is where it belongs and the size limits on WiiWare and DSiWare are too small so...yeah.

Tr4nce

I am a SUCKER for adventure games, and thus fro Broken Sword. Didn't like Broken Sword 2 that much however :(

Top Bottom