• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bungie and Nerf investigating claims that Destiny 2 gun design has been plagiarised

near

Gold Member
"
Destiny maker Bungie and toy manufacturer Nerf are investigating claims that the design for their recently revealed Ace of Spades Nerf gun directly copied elements from a fan design in 2015.

X user @Tofu_Rabbit claimed on Wednesday that the new toy gun copies design elements, as well as brush stroke and smudge effects from their original design.

They also posted a side-by-side image showing what they claim are very similar, and in some cases identical design elements.

Bungie now says it is looking into the matter, and will update “on what next steps we are taking once we have gathered more information”.

Complicating matters will be the fact that the gun is not just in-game content but an actual phsyical Nerf gun that players can pre-order.
"

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Issue an apology and redesign. Or better yet, pay him and keep the design. Good thing this is still a preorder.

Last edited:

Hookshot

Gold Member
It's clearly a copy of the other guys gun but if you click the original art link he admits it's based off of a Destiny gun in the first place. So he took a destiny gun, made it look different and then Bungie took that and changed the colours while giving it to Nerf?

sainraja

I don't get it... the artist claiming this, also created their work inspired by Bungie's design? lol
Wouldn't Bungie ultimately own the right to their design? The artist added their own spin to it, and so did the nerf design.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
I don't get it... the artist claiming this, also created their work inspired by Bungie's design? lol
Wouldn't Bungie ultimately own the right to their design? The artist added their own spin to it, and so did the nerf design.
Inspired=/=Copied

It's clearly a copy of the other guys gun but if you click the original art link he admits it's based off of a Destiny gun in the first place. So he took a destiny gun, made it look different and then Bungie took that and changed the colours while giving it to Nerf?
So they’re complaining that they copied something made some changes and then the original owner made some changes as well to the gun that they originally made that were similar to the person that copied, but the person that originally copied is complaining that they were copied when they originally were copying someone else?

Edit: Also it’s not necessarily copied, but the design elements are different in all of them.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Maybe the guy who made the gun at Bungie was already let go. lol
Maybe, but company would still be liable if found guilty in a court of law. If I were Sony/Bungie I would pay the man and avoid a public legal battle. That could be a bad look on Sony/Bungie and a PR nightmare.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Embarrassed Shame GIF

Trogdor1123

So was this done in alignment with nerf? If so, Bungie almost certainly owns the design and can do with it what they want. I’m not sure I get the issue. I think we need more info on this.

Sooner

I knew, as soon as people stated saying a certain gun in Destiny was OP, Bungie would Nerf it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Gunception.

Last edited:

kevboard

its hilarious that the guy who stole the design didn't even bother to remove the very easily identifiable wear and tear details the original artist added.

like, how stupid can you be? all possible deniability is instantly out the window. this is like a fucking fingerprint 🤣

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
What a fast response my 8 month old service ticket has still gone unanswered…. Prob just fired those guys

BlackTron

The thing is, that artist's spin, is in the Nerf design. It's most evident in minor details, like the wear and tear marks along the barrel.

sainraja

The thing is, that artist's spin, is in the Nerf design. It's most evident in minor details, like the wear and tear marks along the barrel.
Ah yeah I suppose... I thought if an artist creates another version of someone else's work, like the gun wasn't changed I don't think, the original artist still owns it, specially in a situation like this but I guess not haha.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Ah yeah I suppose... I thought if an artist creates another version of someone else's work, like the gun wasn't changed I don't think, the original artist still owns it, specially in a situation like this but I guess not haha.

It would be like having an action figure, and someone repaints it with a custom job, and the company likes the custom job so much they start making it with that print instead, without recognizing where it came from or having paid for the work.

Top Bottom