• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Burnout 3 and Astro Boy demo in the new OPM, also an interview with Kojima...

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
... with the highest quality footage of MGS3 yet. They finally did some clips that are direct buffer, digital transfers to a DVD (not beta tape transfers like all the DVD trailers of the game released so far) and let me tell you it looks absolutely gorgeous, now that I can really see what the colors are like, and how sharp it really looks. The Scene where shoots with his machine gun in front of that huge wall of fire, is nothing short of breathtaking.

On to the demos:

BO3 demo is the exact same thing as the European PAL demo, and the exact same one distributed to the retail stores here. Bad thing is that once you finish the lap, the demo exits to OPM's main menu and you have to wait for it to load again. PAL demo didn't do this and can be played over and over. I'll try to rip the demo off the DVD and install it to a HDD, maybe that will make it behave like the PAL version. Obviously, I'd prefer to play the NTSC version of this, as I don't have to squeeze the TV picture vertically to see everything that is on the screen. This demo is really a must see, if you can get your hands on it, but much has been said about it already, so I'm sure you know that.

Astro Boy demo, I haven't played much, but I must say it doesn't seem to be as interesting as I thought it would, and it also looks somewhat worse than I thought it would, (and runs at 30FPS at that) Controls are a bit weird as well, but also quite smooth. I'll play it some more later, but the initial impression is a bit underwhelming.

oBa

Also, unless there is something wrong with my demo disc (doubtful) Astro Boy is one of those rare PS2 titles that does not support Digital Optical Out(toslink), so I get absolutely no sound whatsoever..... Lame!

BeOnEdge

Banned
oBa said:
Also, unless there is something wrong with my demo disc (doubtful) Astro Boy is one of those rare PS2 titles that does not support Digital Optical Out(toslink), so I get absolutely no sound whatsoever..... Lame!

astroboy is a horrible horrible game anyway from wat i played at e3. ur not missing anything.

Doom_Bringer said:
any jaggies or slowdown in the PS2 version of Burnout 3?

From what I played, I did not notice any slowdown or jaggies. Burnout 3 is one of the best looking racing games I have ever seen.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
No. It's actually quite a showpiece. The game looks significantly better and more impressive than BO2, for example. It's really one of the best looking racers there is.

How long is the Kojima interview? Any interesting stuff in the interview?
Aside from the really HQ clips from the trailers released so far, nothing in the actual interview was new. In the last issue, they promissed this issue would have an E3 2K4 trailer, but it's not on the disc (lame...). PSM has had the DVD trailer since about a month ago, but as usual it's a beta transfer, not real direct feed, like the short clips that you can see here.

is this out in stores?
Yes, even in Canada, which means it's been out in US for a while.

The games listed on the Sept issue includes:

Playables
Burnout 3
Athens 2004
Echo Night: Beyond
Test Drive Eve of Destruction
Van Helsing
Astro Boy

Video:
Street Racing Syndicate
Star Wars Battlefront
Gran Turismo 4
Ace Combat 5
Area 51

Inside the Game:
Metal Gear Solid 3
Hot Shots Golf Fore
Star Wars Battlefront

Notable Reviews (partial):
Star Ocean 3 = 4
Street Fighter Anniversary = 4
NFL 2K5 = 4
MacFarlane's Evil Prophecy = 1/2
Catwoman = 3
Spiderman = 3 1/2

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I just hope in the next issue they release the new MGS3 trailer in this same quality as the clips in this Kojima interview. PSM trailer was OK quality, but it's obvious now that the transfer can be so much better.

Riskbreaker said:
The games listed on the Sept issue includes:
Notable Reviews (partial):
Star Ocean 3 = 4
Street Fighter Anniversary = 4
NFL 2K5 = 4
MacFarlane's Evil Prophecy = 1/2
Catwoman = 3
Spiderman = 3 1/2

What kind of rating systm has OPM? Is 5 the highest score?

gtmax

Burnout 3

I thought it was a step back from BO2. Sure there's more going on onscreen but it felt like very early code. You could hardly make out what was in front of you and it's very hard to tell how the graphics have improved, aside from traffic and that motion blur that seems exaggerated.

Athens 2004

I had a lot of fun doing the high jump but the stupid demo kicked me out after 2.04 meters.
Of course i'm not buying this, though.

Test Drive Eve of Destruction

Surprisingly fun. The previous test drive sold well so i dont' know why they astrayed from teh formula. Now it has a Nascar-midwestern-like feel to it. Good news is that it's fun, graphics are good and there's a nice cockpit view fully modelled. Physics are also very good in that you feel that there's something to them.

Video:
Street Racing Syndicate

Looks interesting. wished they had a playable.

Yeah, i wasn't inpressed with Burnout 3 but i'll go ahead and think it's because it's early code. Is the game beign ported from Xbox to ps2 this time around?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought it was a step back from BO2. Sure there's more going on onscreen but it felt like very early code. You could hardly make out what was in front of you and it's very hard to tell how the graphics have improved, aside from traffic and that motion blur that seems exaggerated.
Couldn't make what was in front of you? I don't know about that. Even on my half decent TV, the game looks really, really great. Even though it is an early code, it doesn't feel like that in any way, IMO.

I just run BO3 right after playing some BO2, and it's a significant improvenment, there's simply no question about it. Art direction and use of color in general is also much tighter in BO3.

Is the game beign ported from Xbox to ps2 this time around
No. Developer has said that both versions look pretty much identical, actually.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually Canada usually gets OPM a day or two before the US stores do.
Hmm, I guess it's a hit and miss then. On several occasions I was reading people who said they bought it on the news stands in the US, and I had to wait for one more week till I could find it here.

I'm trying to rip the BO3 demo off the disc, but the disc appears to be damaged right where some of the BO3 files are, and the DVD drive in my PC won't read them (which is weird, as the demo works and can be played and completed) I'll try to rip it with an HDLoader, with the PS2 drive, and then transfer the full disc ISO over to PC for further ripping.

BeOnEdge

Banned
FUCK!!! i finally got it to play!!!! the IQ is pretty bad. doesnt look nearly as clean as the videos and i'm playing on an HDTV. heres to the XBOX version!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Doom_Bringer said:
No slowdown, but there's jaggies. Nothing worse than BO2 in that regard.

BOE - many PS2 game that ultimately support pro-scan in the final product don't have it on the demo. BO2 PS2 got a noticeable boost switching from interlaced to pro-scan. As far as I've read, they plan to support pro-scan in BO3 PS2 as well.

BeOnEdge

Banned
i already full paid off the XB version. the controller S is better suited for the game anyway so will 16:9 and so are the CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS. i'll be damned if i'm stuck listening to EAs shitfest of noise. here are some shots. crashing is AWESOME!!!! you feel it in your heart when you cream someone this time around!!! A major plus for those who havent figured it out there is no time limit in the demo so you can kinda just crash around in the small areas it lets you play around in if you dont wanna race.

looks more vibrant than these pics.

dscf0031.jpg

dscf0032.jpg

dscf0033.jpg

dscf0037.jpg

dscf0042.jpg

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wasn't trying to convince you to buy the PS2 version, BOE. But since you saw fit to criticize the IQ, I figured it was worth filling in the gaps in your critique.

BO2 on PS2 offered 16:9 as well and I believe the aim is the same for BO3.

But I fully agree that custom soundtracks will be nice to have with this one, thanks to EA Trax...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The aesthetic differences between BO2 and BO3 are most certainly *not!* negligible. BO3 is pushing so much more geometry (cars look tons better, environments are far more detailed and filled out, the asphalt looks downright spectacular) and much, much better lighting.

BO3 owns.

BeOnEdge

Banned
ps2 driving special. a set of car keys with a ps2 mem card attached. BO3 does have alot more going on than part 2. almost TOO much. i mean there are bright ass LIGHTS from elevated subway tracks lighting your car in broad DAYLIGHT. once again, crash mode will OWN me. XBL will OWN me.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'm definitely getting the Xbox version when it drops. Me am excited.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
As far as one of the other demos on the OPM disc, Echo Night: Beyond by From, I have no idea what their issue is with using both analog sticks. They deliberately map looking up and down to the L2 and R2 buttons and sidestepping to the L1 and R1 buttons. Left stick used for forward/backward movement and turning. Right Stick? Dead. Useless. As if all their test machines must have broken right analog sticks.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Kaching said:
No slowdown, but there's jaggies. Nothing worse than BO2 in that regard.
I thought there was less jaggies then BO2, though maybe it's just the TV I used.
As for slowdown, I could actually argue there is - the crash shots run at 30fps. Of course, since they are in slow-motion to begin with, it's not nearly as noticeable, plus it's not like the game randomly slowsdown - it's only for "cutscenes" so to speak.

Marc said:
Couldn't make what was in front of you? I don't know about that.
Honestly, I had that problem too, as did most people that I know who played it. It IS a city track, which are generally worst case for visibility, but it's just difficult to know where you're going at times.
I think the really high FOV they use to increase feeling of speed (must be around 90 or more by default) is partly at fault as it squezes stuff in the center more.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I thought there was less jaggies then BO2, though maybe it's just the TV I used.
BeOnEdge is using a HDTV and the demo doesn't support prgoscan - that's why IQ looks worse to him. The final game will run in prog scan and support the GT wheel, I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere about it.

Honestly, I had that problem too, as did most people that I know who played it. It IS a city track, which are generally worst case for visibility, but it's just difficult to know where you're going at times.
Don't forget you can change to FPV by pressing triangle - maybe that will make it easier. I guess I have memorized the track so much already that I don't have any problems with it anymore, but a friend of mine who was a BO2 fan got used to the demo very quickly as well, and was winning in no time.

ypo

The crash scenes go into slow mode only if you hold down the turbo button, at least int he PAL version. Yea it sucks that it runs at 30 fps, pretty jarring.

Looks like I gotta go pick up OPM today. It also sounds like it's just one map, how many laps? Modes?

Must... feed... hunger...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Wasabi - one lap and its a shorter track. Probably not more than 2 minutes to complete. Just the one basic race mode. And then you're dumped out to the OPM disc main menu.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
BeOnEdge said:
FUCK!!! i finally got it to play!!!! the IQ is pretty bad. doesnt look nearly as clean as the videos and i'm playing on an HDTV. heres to the XBOX version!

Although it was already mentioned, it should be noted that the game does support 480p and 16:9. I have yet to find a demo of a prog-scan game that supported 480p in that demo...

It is usually limited to full version games...

kaching said:
Wasabi - one lap and its a shorter track. Probably not more than 2 minutes to complete. Just the one basic race mode. And then you're dumped out to the OPM disc main menu.

I just wish it was a bit more open like the E3 build. Now that was an awesome demo of sorts... Oh well, one month to go... Leme guess, you drive the Mustang Fastback looking car?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Yep. The Mustang. All I ask is that they either removed the reset or give you a full three laps around the track. It's still great fun playing around with the enhanced damage model but if you played at this E3, I imagine there's not much new here for you to grab the demo for.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
dark10x:
I have yet to find a demo of a prog-scan game that supported 480p in that demo...
That's because it's such a nuisance setting up a different mode for a different frame buffer. That was something that was nice about the Dreamcast; it was designed right so that even the demo discs were made able to be played that way.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
What's the front cover?
Although BO3 is just a month away, I'm just so eager to play...

Its actually one of the coolest OPM covers in a while, IMO

Picture a simple light grey background

In the foreground is a carkey with the red/blue "PS" logo on its black rubber head...

Connected to the key is a keychain that is actually a first party PS2 black memory card

Printed on the PS2 memory card are some of the driving game in the OPM main feature...GT4, Burnout3, TD:Eve of Distruction, SRS, Need4Speed Underground2...very clean and classy if you ask me....

Too bad most OPM covers aren't as good as this...

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
That's because it's such a nuisance setting up a different mode for a different frame buffer.
It's not a nuissance setting it up in code (it's usually just changing one constant) - it's a nuissance setting up the menu at the start of the game to change modes just for a freaking demo...
Change modes yes/no, wait 10 seconds, revert back if broken... blabla... lots of annoying user interface stuff just to add one mode support...
If one could just ship PScan only demo, it'd be no problem :p

Top Bottom