• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider - With the next Xbox, Microsoft is finally ending its lofty TV ambitions

CyberPanda

Banned
  • Microsoft's got a new video game console in the works, and it's scheduled to arrive this holiday season: the Xbox Series X.
  • Unlike the last generation of Xbox consoles, the Xbox Series X is dropping support for cable boxes and TV antennas.
  • Though Microsoft has yet to announce as much, a leaked photo of the new Xbox Series X offers a first look at the ports it has - and it's missing the crucial port required for the TV functionality that currently exists on the Xbox One.
  • That removal is the last major vestige of Microsoft's ambitious plans to create the "Complete All-in-One Games and Entertainment System" with the Xbox platform.
  • Visit Business Insider's homepage for more stories.
Microsoft's Xbox has been losing to Sony's PlayStation for a full console generation, starting in 2013.

With its next-generation Xbox video game console, the Xbox Series X, Microsoft seems determined to erase the mistakes of the past.

The company's Xbox division, led by longtime Xbox employee Phil Spencer, has been on a years-long charm offensive with video game fans. Somewhere between buying a gaggle of beloved game studios, the wild success of Xbox Game Pass, and the refreshingly open discourse about the next Xbox console, Microsoft managed to earn back some of the good will it had lost among gaming's most hardcore evangelists.

And now, thanks to a leak depicting the not-so-exciting rear of the new Xbox Series X console, we know that yet another shoe has dropped: Microsoft is killing off its ambitious TV functionality for good.

Unlike the Xbox One generation of consoles, the next Xbox is removing the HDMI-out port - the crucial port that enabled cable boxes to connect with the console and be controlled directly.

Notably, Microsoft has yet to officially show the rear of the next Xbox. The image above was leaked on the gaming forum NeoGAF, and later corroborated as legitimate by Thurrott's Brad Sams. It depicts a prototype Xbox Series X console, and it's always possible that the final unit will contain more ports - possible, but unlikely, given how close the launch of the console is.

When we asked Microsoft for an official comment on the photos, we were given a boilerplate response by a representative: "We're excited to share more details on Xbox Series X, which will be our fastest, most powerful console and set a new bar for console performance, speed and compatibility. However, we have nothing to announce at this time."

Though Microsoft has yet to officially say whether or not the next Xbox will support any form of cable TV, it's clear from the photo that it won't support HDMI passthrough in the same way that the Xbox One did. Simply put: No port, no passthrough.

Microsoft
More than just removing a port, the move is the final nail in the coffin for Microsoft's ambitious plan to turn the Xbox game console into the "Complete All-in-One Games and Entertainment System."

When the Xbox One was initially announced in May 2013 alongside the slogan above, Microsoft executives touted a number of non-gaming features: cable box passthrough, an application named "OneGuide" (seen above) that was intended as an interactive TV guide, and the creation of an all-new TV and movie studio in Xbox Entertainment Studios.

The reaction from gaming's early adopters was as swift and strong as it was negative, and Microsoft spent the next several years slowly walking back much of its early messaging with the Xbox One. Xbox Entertainment Studios was shuttered and its projects were killed. Executives spoke less and less about non-gaming features of the console.

And now, nearly seven years later, the final vestige of the company's ambitious push into TV on Xbox is coming to an end: Microsoft is outright removing hardware support for cable boxes with the next Xbox generation.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
They should atleast make their media player based on libmpv, it will be the ultimate media box. Before we had smart TVs and streaming boxes, we had the OG Xbox and the Xbox Media Player.

Last edited:

GHG

Unlike the Xbox One generation of consoles, the next Xbox is removing the HDMI-out port

LMAO.

giphy.gif

xool

ew "lofty TV ambitions" - one of the more basic and grubby business plans I've ever seen (get your box as the single point of access to content)

nowhat

ew "lofty TV ambitions" - one of the more basic and grubby business plans I've ever seen (get your box as the single point of access to content)
I mean, it's not a terrible idea in theory (basing most of your messaging on "television! television! television!" at launch is though) - it just came way too late. TV was already declining in relevancy when One was released, and I guess by then anyone interested in something else than TV+remote already had their setup sorted. Had there been something like "Xbox 360 T" (the T is for TV - yeah, it's stupid, but so are MS product names) released say in the middle of previous gen, it might have had a chance.

Last edited:

ANIMAL1975

Unlike the Xbox One generation of consoles, the next Xbox is removing the HDMI-out port - the crucial port that enabled cable boxes to connect with the console and be controlled directly.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Who write this shit, it is some autogenerated trash, to get some clicks? HDMI-OUT...well it's sunday, so maybe alcohol blood level is still high, but I don't know. But I am not surprised Business Insider. They seems to be generally trash recently.

GamingKaiju

HDMI out lmao 😂

The ultimate all in one box was a stupid idea in the age of smart TVs and the availability of hardware to watch/stream apps on it was never going to work. It wasn’t a bad idea but cable/satellite company’s were never going to allow what MS wanted as it meant then opening up there own IPs and security systems. The HDMI in was just a sudo way to get way round this.

MS would have done better to concentrate on a gaming machine first and then partner with streaming services for their TV aspirations rather than continue manufacturing legacy hardware that is hardly used.

Lol will never forget the YT vids of people having their PS4 in the HDMI in.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Sad fact was that when it was announced, I actually was interested in the TV features of the Xbox One. My hope was that it could completely replace my cable box and be one less thing to attach to my TV. Sadly, that wasn't the case.

DanielsM

Banned
HDMI out lmao 😂

The ultimate all in one box was a stupid idea in the age of smart TVs and the availability of hardware to watch/stream apps on it was never going to work. It wasn’t a bad idea but cable/satellite company’s were never going to allow what MS wanted as it meant then opening up there own IPs and security systems. The HDMI in was just a sudo way to get way round this.

MS would have done better to concentrate on a gaming machine first and then partner with streaming services for their TV aspirations rather than continue manufacturing legacy hardware that is hardly used.

Lol will never forget the YT vids of people having their PS4 in the HDMI in.

I would think now chasing service and game streaming is even worse than that. I mean, who in their right mind would spend money on building out game streaming when there is basically countless companies that failed at it. I mean at least with TV stuff they weren't chasing a known loser business.

The original Xbox was developed so that Sony would not take over the living room and eventually the home. Both basically lost that to $30-50 chromecast and roku devices, or smart phones or tablets.

2008-2013 was really their reaction or results of their reaction to the Nintendo Wii... casual chasing and motion control chasing with the Kinect, the expansion of that was TV and Hololens in 2012-2013.

Remember all the stupid ads and marketing they did at tech events with the Hololens - that was always a loser as well at least at the consumer level... some applications for business can and do work. Instead of focusing on game and game publishing they have spent the last decade chasing loser businesses or trying to fill voids with devices which are never going to work in the consumer space.

I love the caption, "Holy Crap, This New Hololens Demo Is Freaking Crazy".......no its pretty stupid.

Unless Microsoft focuses on games and game publishing I expect continuing disasters.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

I would think now chasing service and game streaming is even worse than that. I mean, who in their right mind would spend money on building out game streaming when there is basically countless companies that failed at it. I mean at least with TV stuff they weren't chasing a known loser business.

The original Xbox was developed so that Sony would not take over the living room and eventually the home. Both basically lost that to $30-50 chromecast and roku devices, or smart phones or tablets.

2008-2013 was really their reaction or results of their reaction to the Nintendo Wii... casual chasing and motion control chasing with the Kinect, the expansion of that was TV and Hololens in 2012-2013.

Remember all the stupid ads and marketing they did at tech events with the Hololens - that was always a loser as well at least at the consumer level... some applications for business can and do work. Instead of focusing on game and game publishing they have spent the last decade chasing loser businesses or trying to fill voids with devices which are never going to work in the consumer space.

Microsoft are probably one of the 3 companies that could make game streaming work since they already have a lot of data centres around the world. I think gaming software/services was always the end goal with Xbox they tried it with the Dreamcast by partnering Sega and putting windows CE on the DC but Sega bowed out of the hardware market.

Microsoft always saw Sony as the biggest threat to the gaming space and yeh the Xbox was always a way to get windows in the living room but Microsoft are not a TV production company they are a tech company and should of stuck to that and let others handle their TV aspirations instead. The original idea of X1 was cool but ultimately it would have needed deep integration with Satellite/cable companies to really work and again with retailers so there physical/digital hybrid games could have worked.

I was never a fan of Kinect it never worked for me, repeating instructions and gestures the Wii was a far better bit of equipment for motion control.

The xSx seems to be a return to form for MS and I hope it works out better for them this time.

DanielsM

Banned
Microsoft are probably one of the 3 companies that could make game streaming work since they already have a lot of data centres around the world.

Who said game streaming doesn't work. Game streaming "works"... you can run it from your own equipment for countless years, heck, even on consoles you could on the PS hardware for nearly 7 years and even the PS3 had limited game streaming capability back in 2006, its just no reason for people to pay for it, especially considering for the model to ever work its going to have to cost more than native gaming, generally speaking. The number of data centers you have really doesn't change anything.

Its a loser business, the number of data centers has really no bearing that I can see on improving it into a non-loser business.

Head winds

1. latency and worse picture image... MP games are pretty much a no go
2. more equipment, need equipment on both ends...
3. more electricity is being used... as equipment are being powered on both ends
4. huge amounts of bandwidth are being used... like mega bandwidth
5. much more expensive to have your console in a data center where has to be managed i.e. space, management personnel, property taxes might have to be paid on it, decommissioning the hardware costs at some point, etc. (there can be some offset by running equipment 24x7).
6. no business model that really makes sense to anyone see Stadia, although I think something like PS Now is fine for a rental service... which means no ownership

It "works", it just doesn't make "sense".

From a financial point of view it really doesn't make much sense - what cost more... you walking and feeding your dog... or paying someone to walk and feed your dog?

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

Who said game streaming doesn't work. Game streaming "works"... you can run it from your own equipment for countless years, heck, even on consoles you could on the PS hardware for nearly 7 years and even the PS3 had limited game streaming capability back in 2006, its just no reason for people to pay for it, especially considering for the model to ever work its going to have to cost more than native gaming, generally speaking. The number of data centers you have really change anything.

Its a loser business, the number of data centers has really no bearing that I can see on improving it into a non-loser business.

Work as in it isn’t a laggy pos and isn’t local.

Yes the number of data centres and redundant servers you have can make a huge difference on streaming services. I can remember the same arguments for Netflix when that first started out and they made it work.

It’s no secret that MS want Xbox as a service.

DanielsM

Banned
Work as in it isn’t a laggy pos and isn’t local.

Yes the number of data centres and redundant servers you have can make a huge difference on streaming services. I can remember the same arguments for Netflix when that first started out and they made it work.

No it doesn't... 99.9% of the population is going to encounter latency greater than 40ms to their data center, if not much higher. The number of data centers really doesn't change that, the number of hops and speed of light are the issues... that isn't going to change.

I'm less then 100 miles from MS data center on the East coast, I average around 40-60ms, with huge amounts of spikes over 200-300ms, and that is just to the front door of the data center. Than you have to add the compression and uncompression time on each end.

This all equals input lag and makes multi-player games a no go... that isn't going to change.

We run game stream and even inside the house you can notice input latency, the network is sub-5ms.

Oh yeah, they won't shut up about it, so what.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
I love the caption, "Holy Crap, This New Hololens Demo Is Freaking Crazy".......no its pretty stupid.

Unless Microsoft focuses on games and game publishing I expect continuing disasters.

If this crap is the future of gaming, i will learn to code, write a trojan and start WW3 and 4. Fuck this crap, how gullible are people? This is boring as fuck, ...

PLEASE JAPAN, WE NEED YOU!!! ASAP the microsoftians are destroying the gaming culture....

GamingKaiju

No it doesn't... 99.9% of the population is going to encounter latency greater than 40ms to their data center, if not much higher. The number of data centers really doesn't change that, the number of hops and speed of light are the issues... that isn't going to change.

I'm less then 100 miles from MS data center on the East coast, I average around 40-60ms, with huge amounts of spikes over 200-300ms, and that is just to the front door of the data center.

This all equals input lag and makes multi-player games a no go... that isn't going to change.

We run game stream and even inside the house you can notice input latency, the network is sub-5ms.

Oh yeah, they won't shut up about it, so what.

I don’t know why you’re going on about game steaming so much.

My original post was pointing out that MS shouldn’t have gone down the TV route with the x1 and the HDMI in was a sudo way to get round a major flaw in their strategy. MS should have stuck to hardware/service for gaming whilst licensing out their IP’s to production companies for their TV aspirations. You know companies that have experience working with the TV format.

You brought up game streaming not me so I don’t know how you got to this point 🤔 Game streaming will be a thing at some point in the future but there are limitations to it atm.

DanielsM

Banned
I don’t know why you’re going on about game steaming so much.

My original post was pointing out that MS shouldn’t have gone down the TV route with the x1 and the HDMI in was a sudo way to get round a major flaw in their strategy. MS should have stuck to hardware/service for gaming whilst licensing out their IP’s to production companies for their TV aspirations. You know companies that have experience working with the TV format.

You brought up game streaming not me so I don’t know how you got to this point 🤔 Game streaming will be a thing at some point in the future but there are limitations to it atm.

You responded to me. The game streaming stuff would have ended with my original comment, you are keeping the game streaming discussion going with your responses to me about game streaming. 🤔

Game streaming will be a thing at some point in the future but there are limitations to it atm.

Not sure what this even means, game streaming has been a thing for almost 15 years in some form or another.... countless companies stop providing game streaming, countless companies went belly up providing game streaming, countless companies are providing it today for basically negative returns. The "limitations" I believe you are talking about are never going away i.e. laws of the universe.

Bandwidth can be expanded, latency probably won't change much in my lifetime, and possibly ever.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
Business Insider vs Forbes

who was paid more by microsoft?

:messenger_tears_of_joy: (I didn't say it)

This is one of the articles where someone will say, "see, they're listening, they dumped tv". Its like when Phil started dumping all the Kinect stuff, they're like... see they're listening, and the whole time I am think no, they just shafted everyone that already paid for all that shit and actually believed in that vision.

GamingKaiju

You responded to me. The game streaming stuff would have ended with my comment.

Not sure what this even means, game streaming has been a thing for almost 15 years. The "limitations" I believe you are talking about are never going away i.e. laws of the universe.

You quoted my post talking game streaming lmao then I responded to you saying that MS are probably one of the very few companies that could make it work. 😂

Varteras

:messenger_tears_of_joy: (I didn't say it)

This is one of the articles where someone will say, "see, they're listening, they dumped tv". Its like when Phil started dumping all the Kinect stuff, they're like... see they're listening, and the whole time I am think no, they just shafted everyone that already paid for all that shit and actually believed in that vision.

Reminds me of how pissed my buddy got over buying the Xbox One on Day 1 for $500 when a couple months after launch they released a Titanfall bundle for the same price. His exact words were, "Dude, I just got fucking shafted..."

For me it's not just how Microsoft responded to the controversies but the fact that they had to respond to as many as they did. Controversies that were caused by them because they were out of touch with the community. That doesn't even include the things people got hyped on that never happened. Like Illumiroom, Cloud Processing, and Hololens.

I loved the Xbox brand right up until about halfway through the Xbox 360's lifetime. That's about the time they started messing it all up. I'm looking at what they're doing now and I'm hopeful things have turned around. I'm just very cautious about them right now.

the next Xbox is removing the HDMI-out port

Guess we'll be using our eyeballs for monitors. Gen 20 tech confirmed.

Business Insider vs Forbes

who was paid more by microsoft?

Probably not as much as Sony paid Wired...

...oh, accusing publications of being access media for gaming companies is stupid? Then uh, maybe we should stop doing that?

Microsoft are probably one of the 3 companies that could make game streaming work since they already have a lot of data centres around the world. I think gaming software/services was always the end goal with Xbox they tried it with the Dreamcast by partnering Sega and putting windows CE on the DC but Sega bowed out of the hardware market.

Microsoft always saw Sony as the biggest threat to the gaming space and yeh the Xbox was always a way to get windows in the living room but Microsoft are not a TV production company they are a tech company and should of stuck to that and let others handle their TV aspirations instead. The original idea of X1 was cool but ultimately it would have needed deep integration with Satellite/cable companies to really work and again with retailers so there physical/digital hybrid games could have worked.

I was never a fan of Kinect it never worked for me, repeating instructions and gestures the Wii was a far better bit of equipment for motion control.

The xSx seems to be a return to form for MS and I hope it works out better for them this time.

Well said. They probably were encouraged by Sony's PSX (that PS2 DVR system only released in Japan), and feared that letting other companies do that would've led to failed efforts like the Nuon, or the Dreamcast X'eye cablebox thing that never got released, or all those oddity obscure TV-integrated SFC and MegaDrive Japanese/Asian systems that stayed super-niche.

I guess they could've done what SEGA did with the Mega CD and Saturn, and have others make their own versions with multimedia features built in. But SEGA sourced components from companies like Hitachi directly, there were probably contractual reasons those other companies could make Saturn units. Not necessarily sure what MS would've needed to do with cable/satellite companies; they'd likely be limited to just one.

Last edited:

FranXico

...oh, accusing publications of being access media for gaming companies is stupid? Then uh, maybe we should stop doing that?
Wired posted an interview. The sponsorship couldn't be more transparent.

Compare that with the plethora of MS apologetic "opinions" suddenly showing up everywhere on the internet.

I personally take no major issue with this kind of advertising tactics. The amount of gullible people taking the fluff seriously is mind-numbing though. And let's not pretend that one company is not abusing it a lot more.

Last edited:
I mean, that’s the reason the Xbox exists at all. They saw consoles about to veer into what they considered computer territory, but more user friendly - the Dreamcast with its keyboard, VGA connector, ethernet adaptor and web browser was already there.

So decided they were going to enter the “battle for the living room” and use the Xbox to eventually leverage Windows to be the thing everyone accessed the outside world from. They just didn’t anticipate how smart phones, tablets & super affordable laptops would fragment that space (Ballmer publicly and famously scoffing at the mere idea of the touch screen phone).

TBH they still could’ve pulled it off if the Xbox One was a better games console. They won a lot of good will with the 360. People would’ve quickly forgotten that initial E3 if they’d delivered on the horsepower & software. What probably really killed the XB1 was losing Bungie & Epic.

Last edited:

Banned
Guess we'll be using our eyeballs for monitors. Gen 20 tech confirmed.

Well said. They probably were encouraged by Sony's PSX (that PS2 DVR system only released in Japan), and feared that letting other companies do that would've led to failed efforts like the Nuon, or the Dreamcast X'eye cablebox thing that never got released, or all those oddity obscure TV-integrated SFC and MegaDrive Japanese/Asian systems that stayed super-niche.

I guess they could've done what SEGA did with the Mega CD and Saturn, and have others make their own versions with multimedia features built in. But SEGA sourced components from companies like Hitachi directly, there were probably contractual reasons those other companies could make Saturn units. Not necessarily sure what MS would've needed to do with cable/satellite companies; they'd likely be limited to just one.

yeah it's stupid because it is real

microsoft fanboy / paid poster detected 😎

GamingKaiju

Those PSX’s are impossible to buy now I wish I could get one for collection purposes. I’m not entirely sure what MS needed to do for full Satellite integration but I know they have a lot of security built into them to protect their IP and content security systems so they’ll be very protective over it the hdmi system was a way round it.

Lol they ended their lofty TV ambitions about 6 months before launch in 2013. The department that the water cooler woman was going to be running never happened.

Reminds me of how pissed my buddy got over buying the Xbox One on Day 1 for $500 when a couple months after launch they released a Titanfall bundle for the same price. His exact words were, "Dude, I just got fucking shafted..."

For me it's not just how Microsoft responded to the controversies but the fact that they had to respond to as many as they did. Controversies that were caused by them because they were out of touch with the community. That doesn't even include the things people got hyped on that never happened. Like Illumiroom, Cloud Processing, and Hololens.

I loved the Xbox brand right up until about halfway through the Xbox 360's lifetime. That's about the time they started messing it all up. I'm looking at what they're doing now and I'm hopeful things have turned around. I'm just very cautious about them right now.

How the times have changed. When the OG Xbox launched in the UK, I bought one on launch day and at the time it was expensive, £399 IIRC. Anyway, a week or so later they dropped the price by £100 and sent a letter to early adopters offering them their choice of: A free game and two free controllers or two free games and a free controller.

I thought that was pretty cool. It made a long-term fan of MS

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads

Compare that with the plethora of MS apologetic "opinions" suddenly showing up everywhere on the internet.

I personally take no major issue with this kind of advertising tactics. The amount of gullible people taking the fluff seriously is mind-numbing though. And let's not pretend that one company is not abusing it a lot more.
WOW! This is deep!^^

Especially with forums like GaF running their own unremarkable deep dive, arm chair analysis about the gaming industry from an E X T R E M E L Y limited pool of actual real world experience. Gamers literally think they understand the gaming community, game development, marketing etc, because they play viddya games from a couch!

Most of you wont take the words from actual gaming CEO's or legit insiders/ working devs who actually work in the industry. But will seriously consider your own rhetoric on a gaming enthusiast forum. I mean, You say yourself,...

"The amount of gullible people taking the fluff seriously is mind-numbing though."

If an article like this is fluff. What in god's name do you call the shit GaF does amongst themselves on this very forum with no real world or even unicorn level of experience??? Holy shit!..

Not really trying to signal you out personally broski. This was really aimed as a more general statement.

Last edited:

It's not possible for people, who were miffed with the "TV TV TV" XBO stuff from years ago, to note how it's "interesting" the HDMI IN port is missing on XSX and writing about that like it's a good thing?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess 🤷‍♂️

Also I can't be too surprised if these kind of opinion pieces are showing up: MS's shown more concrete stuff with XSX compared to Sony and PS5, and they seem to be doing things right (except possibly the cross-gen stuff, but we don't know how that's really going to play out, and I'm an optimist on that).

Those PSX’s are impossible to buy now I wish I could get one for collection purposes. I’m not entirely sure what MS needed to do for full Satellite integration but I know they have a lot of security built into them to protect their IP and content security systems so they’ll be very protective over it the hdmi system was a way round it.

Yeah, wish I had one, too. A lot like the PS2's version of the Gamecube's iQue, but I think PSX did it better. It was a pretty clear prototype for PS3 however, even in terms of the XMB (IIRC PSX was the first Sony system to use it).

For satellite, I suppose they could've went with a company like Dish or DirectTV, but probably not both. Whatever could've came of that, I'd rather the system provide open support for the ITU-T G.hn standard; slap a coaxial cable port in the back and let people use an existing cable to blast the video stream over. And probably do that as a modified XBO or what-have-you offered to Dish or DirectTV subscribers, so no direct sale. As a bonus it'd be able to play XBO games too, obviously.

But the time for that was way long ago, MS wanted to use a more gimped and mainstream/standardized approach but it gimped the console's specs compared to PS4.

Last edited:

xool

I mean, that’s the reason the Xbox exists at all. They saw consoles about to veer into what they considered computer territory, but more user friendly - the Dreamcast with its keyboard, VGA connector, ethernet adaptor and web browser was already there.

So decided they were going to enter the “battle for the living room” and use the Xbox to eventually leverage Windows to be the thing everyone accessed the outside world from. They just didn’t anticipate how smart phones, tablets & super affordable laptops would fragment that space (Ballmer publicly and famously scoffing at the mere idea of the touch screen phone).

TBH they still could’ve pulled it off if the Xbox One was a better games console. They won a lot of good will with the 360. People would’ve quickly forgotten that initial E3 if they’d delivered on the horsepower & software. What probably really killed the XB1 was losing Bungie & Epic.

Yeah - I think everyone knew Xbox from the very beginning was MS's "Trojan Horse" in the living room .. it was never a secret .. I knew that too..

My comment was more on the failure of marketing and tone AND direction at the beginning of the XONE generation .. even if the ambitition was essentially the same - the plan seemed to have changed from "here are some kick ass games, please buy our console and use Netflix on it" to - "Hello captive audience, here's a useless peripheral for you to buy, we've given up on the games, why not watch sports while we suck money out of you" ..- so a lot of hyperbole in what I said - but the feels are the same ..

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
TV in was awesome in Xbox One. I used it all the time. Play a SP relaxing game and watch a baseball or hockey game at the same time. And you could even individually set the audio volume for both sides.

The problem was the system couldn't handle both at once nicely. When trying to do both, the TV screen would be at half the frames. The audio was fine. The second you exit the game and go to the dashboard, the TV picture quality runs fine.

A shame people didn't embrace it. It was an optional feature.

Last edited:

GamingKaiju

It's not possible for people, who were miffed with the "TV TV TV" XBO stuff from years ago, to note how it's "interesting" the HDMI IN port is missing on XSX and writing about that like it's a good thing?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess 🤷‍♂️

Also I can't be too surprised if these kind of opinion pieces are showing up: MS's shown more concrete stuff with XSX compared to Sony and PS5, and they seem to be doing things right (except possibly the cross-gen stuff, but we don't know how that's really going to play out, and I'm an optimist on that).

Yeah, wish I had one, too. A lot like the PS2's version of the Gamecube's iQue, but I think PSX did it better. It was a pretty clear prototype for PS3 however, even in terms of the XMB (IIRC PSX was the first Sony system to use it).

For satellite, I suppose they could've went with a company like Dish or DirectTV, but probably not both. Whatever could've came of that, I'd rather the system provide open support for the ITU-T G.hn standard; slap a coaxial cable port in the back and let people use an existing cable to blast the video stream over. And probably do that as a modified XBO or what-have-you offered to Dish or DirectTV subscribers, so no direct sale. As a bonus it'd be able to play XBO games too, obviously.

But the time for that was way long ago, MS wanted to use a more gimped and mainstream/standardized approach but it gimped the console's specs compared to PS4.

Is the GameCube iQue the Panasonic dvd system that got made in very limited numbers?

I can remember years ago I was in Forbidden planet and I saw one but they wanted £700 for it and you needed a AC converter to make it work with U.K. power outlets, I wanted to buy it so much I was willing to trade in all my consoles at the time. I love rare unusual gaming stuff like that you just don’t get that anymore a LE console is just a different colour and some stickers.

I agree they did gimp the hardware for something that is now dead but hopefully lessons learned going forward.

MS really dropped the ball with Xbox One its snap, voice commands and making Xbox the central unit of your entertainment or even house.

Really kinda ahead of the curve and Xbox could have been basically an Alexa/Echo Console and controlled everything.

But people didn’t want Xbox hearing and watching them in 2013, but by 2018 that shit sure changed quickly 🙄

I don’t know if it was a MS problem and everything was kinda meh and half assed. Or was a consumer problem and they were actually early.

Either way im gonna miss my HDMI in

Is the GameCube iQue the Panasonic dvd system that got made in very limited numbers?

I can remember years ago I was in Forbidden planet and I saw one but they wanted £700 for it and you needed a AC converter to make it work with U.K. power outlets, I wanted to buy it so much I was willing to trade in all my consoles at the time. I love rare unusual gaming stuff like that you just don’t get that anymore a LE console is just a different colour and some stickers.

I agree they did gimp the hardware for something that is now dead but hopefully lessons learned going forward.

Yeah, that's the one. Son of a gun is loaded with buttons and switches all over the damn thing xD.

TBH, 700 euro would've been a decent price for it considering if they go for a lot more than that nowadays. But OTOH, it is a steep-as-hell price, even for a rare console to throw in the collection.

Dane

Well, that HDMI port was damn interesting for capturing gameplay of other HDMI consoles (or ones with adapter) provided that you have a high speed internet to record in the streaming mode, the whole DVR feature was never realeased, if it had, it would be a money saver.

Top Bottom