• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying new shoes is so laborious

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
It's one of the few buying experiences that hasn't gotten easier over the years. I like sneakers unless I'm dressing up, and I like buying high tops because I used to play basketball competitively and I rolled my ankles a billion times so they roll over easily now unless I wear high tops for extra support, and I have wide feet so ordering blind without trying sneakers on almost always backfires. They're usually too tight and feel like they're squeezing my foot and cutting off the circulation no matter how much I break them in or loosen em.

So, gotta do it old school. Drive to a sneaker store, try on several pairs, and of course sneaks are expensive as hell. I bought a new pair last week and I sent the guy into the back room 4 times until I found a pair that were both comfortable and had a design I liked. I felt like I was 15 again.

I'm so used to just ordering shit online in 2 seconds, having it arriving at my door in 1-2 days and not even thinking about it, that I'm not used to having to do, you know... actual effort to buy something. Amazon has made me so fucking lazy.

Does anyone here actually order their shoes/sneakers online?

I started buying leather boots because I hate looking for a tailored fit. I put on a thick pair of wool socks, I point at one, I try it on, if they're a snug fit I buy them and then lather 'em up with Obenauf's. Red Wings or Wolverines.

Dthomp

My shoe size depending on brand ranges from 13 1/2- 15 (Fucking Nikes), and it sucks cause while I'm not super active I burn through shoes so I've always just went with basic shoes like New Balance, Sketchers etc but recently decided I wanted some actual decent tennis shoes for the first time since I was basically in high school. Jesus christ this stuff is $$$ and 90% of what I've seen looks absolutely retarded. I can't even begin to understand why people would want shoes with 9 different colors (None of which match one another...). I was in a store that does lots of sporting goods and sneakers, but their selection was really small, but is it so hard just to find a DECENT pair of tennis shoes that are say black? I loathe the in person experience with shoes from growing up with large feet. Send the dude to the back, 10 minutes later here comes the pair you wanted but a size to small, and he brought the two they carry in your size and they both look like ass.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My shoe size depending on brand ranges from 13 1/2- 15 (Fucking Nikes), and it sucks cause while I'm not super active I burn through shoes so I've always just went with basic shoes like New Balance, Sketchers etc but recently decided I wanted some actual decent tennis shoes for the first time since I was basically in high school. Jesus christ this stuff is $$$ and 90% of what I've seen looks absolutely retarded. I can't even begin to understand why people would want shoes with 9 different colors (None of which match one another...). I was in a store that does lots of sporting goods and sneakers, but their selection was really small, but is it so hard just to find a DECENT pair of tennis shoes that are say black? I loathe the in person experience with shoes from growing up with large feet. Send the dude to the back, 10 minutes later here comes the pair you wanted but a size to small, and he brought the two they carry in your size and they both look like ass.

I prefer black shoes. It's my favorite color, they match everything, look sleek, and hide stains obviously better than any color. Yes I fucking hate Nike's sizing too they always squeeze the shit out of my feet.

My laces are always the first things to go though. Can always just buy new ones, but on average they only last a few months for me. Probably because I always pull em tight so I have good ankle support.

CyberPanda

Banned
I prefer black shoes. It's my favorite color, they match everything, look sleek, and hide stains obviously better than any color. Yes I fucking hate Nike's sizing too they always squeeze the shit out of my feet.

My laces are always the first things to go though. Can always just buy new ones, but on average they only last a few months for me. Probably because I always pull em tight so I have good ankle support.
I order my shoes online. Have you tried new balance?

CyberPanda

Banned
I've never seen New Balance in high tops, but admittedly I haven't look thoroughly. I usually alternate between Nike, Jordan's, Adidas, Reebok for sneaks.
New Balance are pretty good, very comfy. And, some of their shoes are made in USA which is nice.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I just order shoes online. You probably figured out what size shoe you wear years ago.

I walk a ton at work, so I get shoes probably every 6 months.

Davey Cakes

95% of sneaker designs are atrocious to me. I just want something basic and it takes a while to find a sneaker that “looks fine” and fits right.

Buying shoes is probably the only pleasant shopping experiences I have. Online or in-store, they always seem to have my size or a close fit, and I'm pretty open to wearing most kinds of sneakers. Shopping for everything else is a pain in the dick, though. I always, ALWAYS have to have t-shirts and pants taken up.

It's Jeff

Banned
After you go through the mess of finding that good set in the store, go online and order like four more pairs of the exact same model before it changes next year. Trust me on this one.

Lucumo

I basically order everything online except for clothing (which includes shoes). It's always better to try those on first.

I get excited when I'm going to buy 2 or 3 pairs of shoes.. Only downside is that I take an eternity on finding the right style for me. Fancy shoes for parties, Airforces for casual sunday and lastly a good pair of nice looking boots. I buy them once a year hence why I get excited. :3

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Try this website OP

Iorv3th

What really sucks is you will get one brand of shoes where say a 10.5 fits you. Next time you go buy shoes you grab the same brand same size and suddenly you need a 10 or something.

I got some golf shoes where I had tried on in store and 10.5 fit me perfect. Ordered new ones years later and 10.5 is too big.

womfalcs3

Banned
I’m a one pair of shoes for 3-4 years person. I also don’t cut my hair very often.
I'm that way with shoes. Well, until they begin smelling.

I also typically get dark sneakers (like black of dark blue) to be able to wear them with suits. I don't wear dress shoes.

Last edited:
I used to be huge on expensive shoes when I was going to school, but nowadays I just usually wear my sandals or a pair of Adidas I’ve had for a few years. I don’t buy shoes often. I hate spending a lot of money on new shoes, so when I do get new ones it’s usually someone else buying them for me as a gift. I tend to go to shoe stores where I can just try on shoes at my own leisure instead of asking for assistance. I kinda got tired of the employees at the stores around here ignoring me as a customer, so I said fuck them.

Last edited:
just buy a can of great stuff canned foam

you cover your feet in saran wrap then foam that shit all over the outside

let it dry and you got some foam shoes for like $5

they're big and yellow and foamy but fucken $5 can't beat it lasts about a week if you stay indoors

buy some fucken shoes

just buy a can of great stuff canned foam

you cover your feet in saran wrap then foam that shit all over the outside

let it dry and you got some foam shoes for like $5

they're big and yellow and foamy but fucken $5 can't beat it lasts about a week if you stay indoors

buy some fucken shoes

Where I'm from we call those welfare crocs or "welly crocs" if you're too busy to fully say welfare.

Mistake

I buy wolverine boots that last me 2-3 years that have ankle support, steel toes, and are extra wide since I’m flat footed. They are the only shoes my feet get accustomed to without hurting, and I can kick anything I want

Last edited:
Where I'm from we call those welfare crocs or "welly crocs" if you're too busy to fully say welfare.
yeah the holes are not as big theyre tiny but there's thousands of them if not millions because it's foam-like properties

state-of-the-art

cutting edge stuff that's scientifically proven

Cracklox

Call me old fashioned but I avoid buying goods online that I can get from a store where ever possible. Firstly, I've had stuff go missing in the mail before, and secondly if I want thing, I go to retail outlet, hand over money and person at counter exchanges me for thing. I have it right away and don't have to sweat on it showing up in the post.

Double especially for shoes. Gotta try em on 1st

My shoe size is 15. You know nothing of laborious shoe shopping.

I imagine that could create its own set of issues but

What really sucks is you will get one brand of shoes where say a 10.5 fits you. Next time you go buy shoes you grab the same brand same size and suddenly you need a 10 or something.

I got some golf shoes where I had tried on in store and 10.5 fit me perfect. Ordered new ones years later and 10.5 is too big.

I fit in here too. Also with 10ish being a pretty average size half the time their sold out and you need to try 11 or a 9 or something. Which per above then may or may not fit. Woe is me for being so average I guess...

Durask

This is why you order online and get size 10, 10.5 and 11, then send back the two that do not fit.

EverydayBeast

ChatGPT 0.1
I'll give online and local retail attention unless I really want or need the new shoes than I'll favor retail, drive up the road, tell them my size and feel like the best.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've bought shoes online before but I've learned to just always try them on in a store instead... I need to see how they fit me.

Last edited:

quickwhips

I rock solid black shell top adidas for everything i wear except weddings. No one ever says shit even when i wear a suit. I just want to be comfortable.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
For online shoes, I really like Ace Marks and Paul Evans. Jack Erwin is also good.

Ace Marks makes some hella nice Italian leather sneakers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom