• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

California has a projected $1.6B deficit this coming year due to accounting errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/01/18/1-8-billion-error-adds-to-california-deficit-projection/

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown's administration miscalculated costs for the state Medi-Cal program by $1.9 billion last year, an oversight that contributed to Brown's projection of a deficit in the upcoming budget, officials acknowledged this week.

The administration discovered accounting mistakes last fall, but it did not notify lawmakers until the administration included adjustments to make up for the errors in Brown's budget proposal last week. The Democratic governor called for more than $3 billion in cuts because of a projected deficit he pegged at $1.6 billion.

”There's no other way to describe this other than a straight up error in accounting, which we deeply regret," said H.D. Palmer, a spokesman for the Department of Finance.

The agency followed its normal practice by waiting to report the errors in the governor's next budget, he said.

Brown's deficit projection was driven by more than just the accounting error, Palmer said, noting that California tax collections came in below expectations for most of the first half of the fiscal year.

Making up for the Medi-Cal shortfall will mean the state can't spend money on other priorities, such as college scholarships or paying down long-term pension liabilities, Moorlach said.

The Medi-Cal program, California's version of Medicaid, is jointly funded by the state and federal governments to provide health coverage for people with low incomes.

The Department of Finance said it did not account for $487 million in rebates from drugmakers that the state must pay the federal government to reimburse Washington for its share of Medi-Cal drug costs.

The state also miscalculated costs for the Coordinated Care Initiative
, an experimental program in seven counties to improve care for a group of high-needs patients eligible for both Medi-Cal and Medicare, the federally funded health plan for seniors and people with disabilities.

Officials double-counted some of the expected savings, leading to a budget hole of $913 million, and undercounted the costs in San Mateo and Orange counties by $573 million.

In his spending plan, Brown proposed eliminating the Coordinated Care Initiative because he said the program was not cost effective, angering counties that said the change would shift $550 million in costs to them.

The initiative's accounting problems did not affect the administration's finding that the program should be eliminated, Palmer said.

So much for the surplus...hopefully some of the money put away from that helps out.

liquidtmd

Banned
raw

studyguy

Aye heard about this yesterday, my main concern is what the federal government might do during the deficit to punish us here.

The Medi-Cal program, California's version of Medicaid, is jointly funded by the state and federal governments to provide health coverage for people with low incomes.

It covers one in three Californians, at a total cost of more than $100 billion annually. About a sixth of the money comes from the state general fund and most of the rest from the federal government.

Miscounting rebates and undercounting a few counties put us in the hole. Worrisome for what the future holds for those of us here in CA trying to stand up to the administration while still needing healthcare.

I'm not the only one that thinks making fake donald tweets just makes things worse right?

I'm being transparent about it and clearly point in the post, for the sake of argument, that it's for shit and giggles. I'm not trying to fool anyone here... so... No, I don't think it makes things worse but I can respect your opinion about it.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm being transparent about it and clearly point in the post, for the sake of argument, that it's for shit and giggles. I'm not trying to fool anyone here... so... No, I don't think it makes things worse but I can respect your opinion about it.

Sure you are, but anyone either knowingly or unknowingly could save the image and upload it somewhere else. Next thing you know there's people on facebook sharing this like it's real which then kinda lessens the impact of the *real* shit he actually says.

It just really rubs me the wrong way that we're trying to fight fake news but then we're creating it ourselves?

norm9

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

While your intentions are benign, your explanation does exhibit an underappreciation for how fake news originates and proliferates. Personally, I think you can do whatever you want, but the reality is that there's a non-zero chance of material like this becoming a problem down the line.

Sure you are, but anyone either knowingly or unknowingly could save the image and upload it somewhere else. Next thing you know there's people on facebook sharing this like it's real which then kinda lessens the impact of the *real* shit he actually says.

It just really rubs me the wrong way that we're trying to fight fake news but then we're creating it ourselves?

Yes, I could refrain from posting one satirical picture on internet clearly stated fake within it's post and within its hosting adress (when you click on it) fearing some people to stupid to think for themselves or 2 seconds ahead would do with it...

But I choose that I don't have to be responsible for people out there being morons.

And if this makes it to fake news, the my point would be sadly proven. Stupid people would have taken shit out of context and rolled with it.

Ferrio

Banned
And if this makes it to fake news, the my point would be sadly proven. Stupid people would have taken shit out of context and rolled with it.

You know these stupid people would most likely be people opposed to Trump, further hurting their cause when it's pointed out to be fake?

digdug2k

But the nonpartisan analyst said in November that there was going to be a 2.8 billion dollar surplus. Did Moonbeam not bother telling the guy that absolutely needs to know this?

http://www.scpr.org/news/2016/11/17/66216/california-analyst-projects-2-8-billion-budget-sur/
I've been so confused by California. Like, wasn't there a huge surplus last year as well? And a shitload of that money is required by law to go to the schools, right? But I keep hearing the schools on the radio bitching about budget cuts and reductions. Plus, Brown forced us to save a shitload of what was left for rainy days just like this one. And now this. I don't really get it.

norm9

I've been so confused by California. Like, wasn't there a huge surplus last year as well? And a shitload of that money is required by law to go to the schools, right? But I keep hearing the schools on the radio bitching about budget cuts and reductions. Plus, Brown forced us to save a shitload of what was left for rainy days just like this one. And now this. I don't really get it.

I don't understand it either. It's supposed to be four years of surplus with plenty left over to deal with a recession if it was to occur. I expect higher taxes.

We'll be fine once that weed money starts flowing in.

There's a problem with weed money in that since, even legalized, I don't think that big banks are permitted to let weed sellers open accounts, reducing the growth that money from weed could give to the economy. And since weed can only be bought with cash (since no business bank accounts), it makes it easier for those sellers to pay less in taxes than they owe.

http://www.pewtrusts.org/en/research-and-analysis/blogs/stateline/2016/03/22/why-marijuana-businesses-still-cant-get-bank-accounts

Should I see this movie?

Its NOT an action/spy type of movie, its more a weird kind of "here's how a high functioning autist would work as James Bond". I found it pretty boring but it was interesting to watch Ben Affleck.

There are however a number of action sequences but they are not done very well so it makes it even stranger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom