• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can a PC game crash your hard drive and destroy it?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well, last week my Maxtor 60GB HD crashed on me and everything on it was gone. Luckily, thanks to my l33t h@xxo41n9 sk1llz I managed to recover pretty much everything I needed from the HD and let the rest of it sink like the Titanic. Now, the last thing I did to the HD was install Need for Speed: Underground on it. I played the game just fine for about 2 hours. The next day, I noticed my PC running extra slow, I didn't pay attention to it. Later than night I wanted to play some more NFS again, because I absolutely looooooooooooove how hot it looks and sounds on my PC rather than my PS2 or Xbox.

I double click the icon...nothing. Do it again...nope. I make sure the Play CD (CD2) is in the bay...and nope. I then entered the F drive, uninstalled NFSU and then tried to install it again. Except the uninstall didn't fully finish and about 200MB remained. I tried to uninstall again...but it said I didn't have permission to access the HD. :\ So, all of a sudden...I check the properties of my HD and it tells me that the HD has not been formatted and it's prompting me to do so. At this point, I start going ape shit. I had *a lot* of really important crap on the HD. The properties read that the HD is empty and all.

So, since NFSU was the last thing I installed...could it at all be possible that a video was responsible for the crash?

Oh and btw: No. This wasn't a pirated copy of the game. I bought it for $20 at Best Buy; it was too damn cheap to pass up.

AlphaSnake

So it is possible, eh. I really wanna' install the game again...but I'm too fucking scared to.

shuri

Banned
Probably just a coincidence. My 200gb hd crashed after inserting a blank cd in a cd-r that was on a totally different ide channel. The hd was just bound to die eventually

Props for still playing NSFU. Can I count on you for "Woo woo wooo's" in the future?

Games can also break video cards too.
Monks98-1.jpg

I guess I really didn't come in here to help...

AlphaSnake

ArcadeStickMonk said:
Props for still playing NSFU. Can I count on you for "Woo woo wooo's" in the future?

Games can also break video cards too.
Monks98-1.jpg

I guess I really didn't come in here to help...

Haha. I love racing games and I especially love NFSU. I can't wait until NFSU.

Woo-woo!

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
That's what you get for using Maxtor. Crap they make.

I lost all my music that I collected since the Internet opened. Gone.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'll jump on the Maxtor sux bandwagon. Bought a 40 GB drive a couple years back, and after a few months I lost response from my vid card and several apps from having it as my system drive.

In fact, all of the symptoms mentioned in the first post is what I recall. Sluggish overall system performance(Right click menu faded in very slowly, windows took a long ass time to load content, etc...), 3D game applications didn't open or function.

I bought a Seagate drive soon after and have had zero issues.

myzhi

Banned
Although people overlook it, HDs generate alot of heat which could lead to corruption, lost data, and even death of the drive. I use to get HD corruptions once in a well, but after getting and blowing same case fans at them, nothing in over 1+ years. I use WD Raptor and SE drives only.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Yeah, my aluminum externals sizzle. The Maxtor waaaay more than the WD tho. Only reason I'm even using a Maxtor (externally) is because it was the replacement drive to the one that failed. A month later, it started acting up, so I backed up and yank the somomomob!tch out my rig.

There it sat, unused for months. I had an extra enclosure, so I saif 'fuk it' and slapped it in there. Low and behold, it worked! Still works! But man does it get hot. I could cook eggs on it.

I just rip DVDs to it and leave it be.

It dies, oh well.

Top Bottom