• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.
If hundreds of thousands of people speaking another language were entering Québec illegally, someone like Trump would be very popular here.

In fact, if you would poll Trump policies in Québec, many of them would be popular.
Wrong,
if that was the case, then Mario Dumont (defunct ADQ party, nationalist right wing) would have won in 2007 when he ran a hyper nationalist campaign that year.

if that was the case then Pauline Marois (PQ during Charter of Values ploy) would have won a majority in 2014. (The opposite happened, Couillard Liberals won a majority, including ridings that were 90% white francophone in the Saguenay region.

people throw out assumptions without reviewing past electoral results where identity politics were drudged up to the forfront by the more natioanlist parties... and lost.

The Quebec Liberals have been in power since 2003 with the exception of 2012 where they were tossed out due to Student Tuition Strikes but were quickly returned to power in 2014 when Pauline went full identity nationalistic

Marois lost her seat to a rookie in a 90% white Francophone riding that historically voted PQ.... lost to a no-name rookie. If that is not disprove your point enough, I don't know what can

The comments section of science related articles are just the worst. Fucking morons should not be given access to the internet. They should just go make up their crazy little conspiracy theories in their basement and never have access to other fucking morons

I get so angry when I see people willingly ignore science or being purposefully closed minded. I mean, I know i'm not perfect but at least I am opened to re-evaluating my positions on everything as long as you show me evidence. Meanwhile if you try to show proof to an anti-vaxxer or someone against water fluoridation they either plug their ears and go "LALALA" or pull out faulty information which has been disprove a million times over, which if you try to point out they switch to "LALALA".

I just don't have the patience for it anymore

Tabris

It would be a bigger boon for countries near them. There's a reason our trade is so strong with the US, we're right beside it

I don't agree with that. Sure, proximity helps with transportation costs and margins doing business, but it's not the only deciding factor.

I'll give you an example.

China is further away from Europe then it is from NA. Yet, Switzerland, Norway, and Turkey are larger trading partners to them then us. There's an opportunity there. If US reduces it's trade with China, we can facilitate there.

I think a protectionist US helps us because we'll be one of the last trading partners they'll start implementing tariffs against, but it opens up other markets for us as they essentially leave them or limit business in them.

Trudeau was incredibly smart to spend a week in China and SE Asia drumming up business. That LNG deal with Patronas, even though I'm not a fan of the potential environmental impact and how the studies were done (or not done), is a great example of how we need to diversify our trading partners.

jet1911

The comments section of science related articles are just the worst. Fucking morons should not be given access to the internet. They should just go make up their crazy little conspiracy theories in their basement and never have access to other fucking morons

Like the media never ever gave us false information.. Or doctors.. Or the government.. Trust is something people in the 60s had too much of.. An over abundance of it.. Now we are right where we belong.. Distrusting the liars who claim eh speak truth...

It's called chemical suppression.... do some research ,fluoride is the prime ingredient in antidepressants like Prozac why do you think they want to have it in our water!...because when you have a city of 1,000,000+ people of course you want to keep the population half sedated.

really really really wish that they would stop calling the poison they dump into our water supplies 'minerals'!
The main chemicals used to fluoridate drinking water are known as “silicofluorides” (i.e., hydrofluorosilicic acid and sodium fluorosilicate). Silicofluorides are not pharmaceutical-grade fluoride products; they are unprocessed industrial by-products of the phosphate fertilizer industry. Since these silicofluorides undergo no purification procedures, they can contain elevated levels of arsenic — moreso than any other water treatment chemical. In addition, recent research suggests that the addition of silicofluorides to water is a risk factor for elevated lead exposure, particularly among residents who live in homes with old pipes.

First three comments. Yay tinfoil hat!

Pedrito

It's called chemical suppression.... do some research ,fluoride is the prime ingredient in antidepressants like Prozac why do you think they want to have it in our water!...because when you have a city of 1,000,000+ people of course you want to keep the population half sedated.

Why are they giving us antidepressants if they want to keep us "half sedated"?

Maybe "half sedated" is a metaphor for oblivious to all the atrocities of the modern world lead by the globalists and the banksters?

Azzanadra

I don't know, Trump supporters could also just be selfish Canadians.

I live in the US temporarily right now, so I don't want Trump, but before then I'm not sure. Sometimes the bad choice in the US ends up being good for us. Obama was a fantastic president (well in comparison to past US presidents) for the US, but George Bush was much better for Canadians then Obama was, as odd of a statement as that is.

Consider that the actions of the Bush administration helped create a global financial situation that allowed Canada's economy to be at one of it's highest moments. Trump is more likely to create that then Clinton, especially with him trying to fight globalization in today's global economy. As he pulls back on trade deals, that opens up competition (aka us) to facilitate that trade.

Clinton has some very hawkish foreign policies which could create more conflict in the middle east, and potentially other areas. Most of what is occurring in the middle east is due to the US, whether intentional or not, and whether noble or not, it's due to them. Arming rebel groups in Syria as a good example. Trump is an isolationist. He'll be too focused on making domestic policies that benefit his corporations.

Does that mean videogames will be $60 again in that case with a Trump presidency?

I know how you feel about Trump guys, but come on- I feel like as Canadians this is the issue that should matters most, especially for us poor CanadaGAFers. Besides, Senate's in gridlock anyways, no one like Trump- not even his own party.

/s

lol

But actually its not so funny. What the funk is up with videogame prices here? Last gen was the sweet spot, these days every purchase is painful.

But actually its not so funny. What the funk is up with videogame prices here? Last gen was the sweet spot, these days every purchase is painful.

Oil came and made a bunch of people rich. Then when we got reliant on it, it decided it no longer wanted to be our friend anymore and left. The Canadian Economy then promptly started seizing and Uncle Steve had to take it out back to put it out of its misery.

maharg

idspispopd
My understanding is that the current fall of CAD (at least against the USD) has more to do with USD strength (it's finally recovering from 2008) than oil fluctuations. It started while the boom was still well under way, afaik.

Azzanadra

My understanding is that the current fall of CAD (at least against the USD) has more to do with USD strength (it's finally recovering from 2008) than oil fluctuations. It started while the boom was still well under way, afaik.

So Tabris does have a point of Trump ruining America to Canada's benefit...

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Wrong,
if that was the case, then Mario Dumont (defunct ADQ party, nationalist right wing) would have won in 2007 when he ran a hyper nationalist campaign that year.

if that was the case then Pauline Marois (PQ during Charter of Values ploy) would have won a majority in 2014. (The opposite happened, Couillard Liberals won a majority, including ridings that were 90% white francophone in the Saguenay region.

people throw out assumptions without reviewing past electoral results where identity politics were drudged up to the forfront by the more natioanlist parties... and lost.

The Quebec Liberals have been in power since 2003 with the exception of 2012 where they were tossed out due to Student Tuition Strikes but were quickly returned to power in 2014 when Pauline went full identity nationalistic

Marois lost her seat to a rookie in a 90% white Francophone riding that historically voted PQ.... lost to a no-name rookie. If that is not disprove your point enough, I don't know what can
Good points, but sadly they will completely go over their heads, I presume. Seems like people got into this notion that Herouxville is representative of Québec, instead of being a grotesque caricature that the rest of Québec pointed at and laughed (I still remember RBO's amazing parody of that during the Bye Bye xD).

Pedrito

In somewhat of an upset, Jean-François Lisée is the new PQ leader.

Not sure what to think. The guy is actually smart, eloquent and charismatic. But he can also be abrasive and gaffe-prone as he has no filter.

Still a better choice than uber-boring Alexandre Cloutier and the insufferable Martine Ouellet. And he's promising not not hold a referendum in the first mandate so I wouldn't be surprised if the PQ is back in power next election.

In somewhat of an upset, Jean-François Lisée is the new PQ leader.

Not sure what to think. The guy is actually smart, eloquent and charismatic. But he can also be abrasive and gaffe-prone as he has no filter.

Still a better choice than uber-boring Alexandre Cloutier and the insufferable Martine Ouellet. And he's promising not not hold a referendum in the first mandate so I wouldn't be surprised if the PQ is back in power next election.
Alexandre Cloutier was their best choice for reaching out to moderates, young people and minorities.

Cloutier was one of the rare PQ leadership candidates who embraced multicultualism and tried to reach out with an inclussive message.

but LOLOLOLOLOl missed oppurtunity, they picked J-F Lisée! hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahaha losers,
Lisée did the opposite and played the identity card again, never learn.

Sean C

That sounds mostly right, though I'd have bumped St. Laurent down a few spots, and Mulroney up one or two places.
St. Laurent is the unsung hero among Canadian PMs. He governed like he was born to the job, and oversaw a lengthy period of prosperity and institution-building. And few have been as skilled at foreign policy.

I just don't understand how Mackenzie King can be ranked at #1. Reading a lot of the comments, it seems like most of the academics are placing electoral durability above all else, which is insane. Pearson arguably did more in less than five years than Mackenzie King did over the course of 20+ years as PM.
That considerably understates King's accomplishments. Number one, he led the country through World War II and, unlike Borden, managed to largely maintain national unity. He laid the early groundwork for the modern welfare state (the bigger work was definitely done by St. Laurent and Pearson, but it started with him), as well as other major national institutions. His two terms in the 1920s were seminal moments for Canadian independence -- indeed, nobody was more responsible for the 1931 Statute of Westminster than King. He created separate Canadian citizenship. And a bunch of other stuff.

Diefenbaker was robbed. That man started the train to making multiculturalism law by reforming immigration. #AprogressiveConservativeIsTheBestConservative #BringBackHighToryism
Diefenbaker's time as PM was erratic as hell (he had no real managerial skill), but he deserves plenty of credit for his record as a civil libertarian. Equal political rights for First Nations people, at last, and his Bill of Rights was well-intentioned, if ultimately inadequate. And his almost solitary stand against the Japanese-Canadian internment while a rookie MP in 1942 was heroic.

Pedrito

Alexandre Cloutier was their best choice for reaching out to moderates, young people and minorities.

Cloutier was one of the rare PQ leadership candidates who embraced multicultualism and tried to reach out with an inclussive message.

but LOLOLOLOLOl missed oppurtunity, they picked J-F Lisée! hahahahhahahahahahahahahhahaha losers,

It's way easier for the PQ to get back the CAQ vote in the 450 and around Quebec City than to get the young people or immigrant vote. For that, Lisée is the best candidate. And he'll play any card he has to win, including setting aside the referendum.

Cloutier is a like a barely more well-spoken Trudeau, but without the naive boy scout charm. He's been in the public eye for a little more than two years and people are already completely indifferent to him.

yup

It's way easier for the PQ to get back the CAQ vote in the 450 and around Quebec City than to get the young people or immigrant vote. For that, Lisée is the best candidate. And he'll play any card he has to win, including setting aside the referendum.

Cloutier is a like a barely more well-spoken Trudeau, but without the naive boy scout charm. He's been in the public eye for a little more than two years and people are already completely indifferent to him.
Lisée is part of the urban PQ intelectual intelegenstia, he is not going to draw any suburban CAQ votes

the CAQ is more likely to draw from PQ voters in retrospect

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Cloutier would not have managed to draw much votes. It would have been a bit like a cross between Aussant and Peladeau. He would have been popular with the white youth, but the PQ would have lost votes from older folks. People aren't looking for a Trudeau at the PQ (and Trudeau has more than looks). Lisée at least would by happy to throw away the referendum and tell those who would complain to deal with it. He's a lot more pragmatic.

That being said, there is no way that the PQ will be elected again. The Liberals lost only at the height of the corruption scandal. There is nothing in sight that could make them lose for the next six years at least.

Cloutier would not have managed to draw much votes. It would have been a bit like a cross between Aussant and Peladeau. He would have been popular with the white youth, but the PQ would have lost votes from older folks. People aren't looking for a Trudeau at the PQ (and Trudeau has more than looks). Lisée at least would by happy to throw away the referendum and tell those who would complain to deal with it. He's a lot more pragmatic.

That being said, there is no way that the PQ will be elected again. The Liberals lost only at the height of the corruption scandal. There is nothing in sight that could make them lose for the next six years at least.

the Qc Liberals did not lose in 2012 because of a corruption scandal; they lost because of a tired 9 year rule + daily Student Protests

Tapejara

Trudeau government revoking citizenship at much higher rate than Conservatives - CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733

The Trudeau government used powers granted by the Harper government's controversial citizenship law to make 184 revocation decisions without legal hearings between November 2015 and the end of August. About 90 per cent of the decisions resulted in a negative finding and the loss of a person's citizenship.

The numbers show that the Trudeau government has used the law far more aggressively than the Harper government itself.

Once elected, one of the Liberals' first acts was to repeal the parts of C-24 that applied to those convicted of terrorism-related crimes, ensuring that they can keep their Canadian passports.

But the Trudeau government left intact other parts of the law that allow the government to strip citizenship from other holders of Canadian passports for misrepresentation.

The 184 revocation decisions of the first 10 months of the Trudeau government nearly match the total number of decisions over a 27-year period between 1988 and the last month of the Harper government in October 2015.

The B.C. Civil Liberties Association says those targeted for revocation include at least two young adults who came to Canada as infants, grew up in the country and have broken no laws, but who are now being stripped of citizenship because the government says one of their parents misrepresented facts on their original application years ago.

In one case, a young man who arrived in Canada at nine months of age said he has been issued with a notice of revocation because his father had failed to report a criminal conviction in his country of origin when the family immigrated to Canada.

He did not wish to speak to CBC News and said he wished to remain anonymous.

The case bears similarities to that of Liberal Minister of Democratic Institutions Maryam Monsef, who says it was her mother who misrepresented her country of birth when she immigrated to Canada. A spokesperson for Monsef recently said she would update her Canadian passport.

Another citizen being assisted by BCCLA was targeted for revocation because she had declared herself single on her application for permanent resident status when she had left a husband behind in Iran. The woman, who also wished to remain anonymous, said she was fleeing an abusive marriage with an older man and considered herself single.

I felt one of Trudeau's best moments during the debates was standing up to Harper on Bill C-24. I remember some were worried that if he touched the issue it could have harmed the Liberal's chances in the election, but he stuck to his guns and was thankfully rewarded for it.

I'm not against the idea of revoking fraudulent citizenship (forged documents), and I'm glad the Trudeau government removed many of the problematic elements from Bill C-24, but this is really troublesome if people who have been living here for years are having their citizenship revoked because of something out of their control (i.e. a parent's mistake when entering the country). It shouldn't be difficult to just have people correct the misinformation without having to go the nuclear option by revoking their citizenship.

gabbo

Trudeau government revoking citizenship at much higher rate than Conservatives - CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/citizenship-revocation-trudeau-harper-1.3795733

I felt one of Trudeau's best moments during the debates was standing up to Harper on Bill C-24. I remember some were worried that if he touched the issue it could have harmed the Liberal's chances in the election, but he stuck to his guns and was thankfully rewarded for it.

I'm not against the idea of revoking fraudulent citizenship (forged documents), and I'm glad the Trudeau government removed many of the problematic elements from Bill C-24, but this is really troublesome if people who have been living here for years are having their citizenship revoked because of something out of their control (i.e. a parent's mistake when entering the country). It shouldn't be difficult to just have people correct the misinformation without having to go the nuclear option by revoking their citizenship.

it's worse given that one of his ministers is now the face of the issue.

Those of you who had Tony Clement as the first to drop out of the CPC leadership race, come on down:

Cukqt7-WgAAJ941.jpg

In an ironic twist, this morning Forum came out with a poll that had him in second place...which just goes to show a) never trust Forum, and b) never trust a leadership poll.

St. Laurent is the unsung hero among Canadian PMs. He governed like he was born to the job, and oversaw a lengthy period of prosperity and institution-building. And few have been as skilled at foreign policy.

That considerably understates King's accomplishments. Number one, he led the country through World War II and, unlike Borden, managed to largely maintain national unity. He laid the early groundwork for the modern welfare state (the bigger work was definitely done by St. Laurent and Pearson, but it started with him), as well as other major national institutions. His two terms in the 1920s were seminal moments for Canadian independence -- indeed, nobody was more responsible for the 1931 Statute of Westminster than King. He created separate Canadian citizenship. And a bunch of other stuff.

Diefenbaker's time as PM was erratic as hell (he had no real managerial skill), but he deserves plenty of credit for his record as a civil libertarian. Equal political rights for First Nations people, at last, and his Bill of Rights was well-intentioned, if ultimately inadequate. And his almost solitary stand against the Japanese-Canadian internment while a rookie MP in 1942 was heroic.

1) I don't think St. Laurent was a bad PM, just that he was a fairly benign figure. It probably doesn't help his image that the big foreign policy victories of his era were NATO (which probably would've happened regardless of who was leading our country) and the Suez Crisis (for which Pearson got all the credit). Reading his Wikipedia page, I can see why you'd think so highly of him, but I also don't think there's an argument he could be moved up on those rankings, whereas you could argue that Mulroney and Chretien belong above him.

2) I never knew about Mackenzie King and the Statute of Westminster. Between that and King-Byng, he definitely deserves credit for furthering our independence. And he deserves to be ranked over Borden for maneuvering through WWII relatively unscathed. But over Pearson/MacDonald/Laurier? No way.

I have one of the survey's authors as a prof, and his theory for WLMK performing so well is that King kept a diary that he left for historians, and none of his opponents did. That basically meant he wrote Canada's history, which naturally made him look pretty good.

3) Totally agree with your assessment of Dief. Well-intentioned, did a lot for civil rights, but a disaster in other areas, especially in terms of our relationship with the U.S.

diaspora

Those of you who had Tony Clement as the first to drop out of the CPC leadership race, come on down:

In an ironic twist, this morning Forum came out with a poll that had him in second place...which just goes to show a) never trust Forum, and b) never trust a leadership poll.

While I agree that Forum is trash being popular in polls while also not being able to translate that into donations aren't mutually exclusive.

edit: it's going to be hilarious if Bernier takes it.

While I agree that Forum is trash being popular in polls while also not being able to translate that into donations aren't mutually exclusive.

edit: it's going to be hilarious if Bernier takes it.

Polls in general, sure (see the NDP last year at the height of their popularity, when they still struggled to keep up with even the LPC in fundraising), but leadership polls are entirely different. Forum's sample was of 1,100, of which only 355 identified as Conservatives. They don't even distinguish between Conservative supporters and Conservative party members, and that latter group is the only one that matters. Unless/until some polling firm gets access to current CPC membership lists, polling about the CPC leadership race is essentially impossible. The only remotely accurate numbers we can get are from the quarterly fundraising reports filed with Elections Canada.

And speaking of which, I'm really eager to see how the last quarter finished up. Clement officially denied that he'd only raised $12k, and Bernier is claiming he's raised more than $450k. If Leitch is still in the lead, I think that'll mean that no matter what Forum claims, she's doing pretty well for herself.

diaspora

The only social policy Bernier has staked out has been support for same-sex marriage from a small-government angle. While I think Leitch's leadership changes are much stronger and Bernier's gold-standard stuff is nonsense, I think his focus on exclusively economic, trade, and free enterprise policy is potentially more palatable to the general public than Leitch's soft appeal to the alt-right.

Vibranium

Banned
Just saw it on the news, god damn I feel bad for his family. I always could respect Prentice, even with stuff we may have not liked he seemed ok. I don't know too much about him, being from BC though. Hope he rests in peace.

Between Prentice and Jean Lapierre, not a great year for ex-cabinet ministers flying on small planes.

Seriously, though, apart from some intemperate rhetoric during the prorogation crisis (which was no worse than what anyone else was saying), Prentice always seemed like a good, decent person with his heart in the right place. I think the course of Canadian politics would've changed if he, rather than Mackay, had won the PC leadership in 2003.

CazTGG

Condolences to Prentice's family and friends. It always sucks when an accident like this ends up taking someone's life.

Sean C

Trudeau nominates (well, "nominates", since it's automatic) Justice Malcolm Rowe of the Court of Appeal of Newfoundland and Labrador to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Rowe is the first openly Newfie member of the Supreme Court. He was appointed a judge of the superior court in 1999, and elevated to the appellate court by Jean Chretien in 2001. And thus, the unwritten constitution remains in place.

Apathy

Trudeau nominates (well, "nominates", since it's automatic) Justice Malcolm Rowe of the Court of Appeal of Newfoundland and Labrador to the Supreme Court of Canada.

Rowe is the first openly Newfie member of the Supreme Court. He was appointed a judge of the superior court in 1999, and elevated to the appellate court by Jean Chretien in 2001. And thus, the unwritten constitution remains in place.

Finally, after decades of struggle, finally people can stop discriminating against the newfoundly abled

I love the idea that prior to Rowe, there were a bunch of closet Newfoundlanders on the SCC, but they never publicly admitted it because of fear of public shaming. Like, William Alexander Henry's secret shame was that he was born in Come By Chance, and he lived his entire life pretending to be from Nova Scotia. Or that for decades, Ottawa police turned a blind eye to Joseph Honoré Gérald Fauteux's illicit kitchen parties.

SRG01

I love the idea that prior to Rowe, there were a bunch of closet Newfoundlanders on the SCC, but they never publicly admitted it because of fear of public shaming. Like, William Alexander Henry's secret shame was that he was born in Come By Chance, and he lived his entire life pretending to be from Nova Scotia. Or that for decades, Ottawa police turned a blind eye to Joseph Honoré Gérald Fauteux's illicit kitchen parties.

I honestly don't understand this discrimination against Newfoundlanders. They're awesome people.

Sean C

Absolutely! Atlantic Canadians (especially Newfoundlanders) are the nicest people in Canada. I just thought Sean's wording was funny.
Twas intended to be funny.

It's good, of course, that Newfoundland finally got a judge on the court. But from the news reports, Trudeau and Wilson-Raybould really had their hearts set on appointing Canada's first non-white judge, so it's kind of ironic that they ended up with another old white dude.

maharg

idspispopd
Well, it's not like he's not going to have another chance to appoint. Assuming he lasts two full terms (pretty safe bet imo), he'll have 3 more. This isn't the US where every appointment turns into a political circus after the choice is made.

Sean C

Well, it's not like he's not going to have another chance to appoint.
I agree there as well. But, again, from an indication they wanted to do it immediately, which is why they were making noise for a while about accepting applicants from elsewhere in the country.

The next seat up in the Chief Justice's (the Chief Justiceship will presumably go go Rosalie Abella, assuming she's still on the court at that point), which is one of the western seats, so there's plenty of opportunity there.

Mulcair was against C-24. Trudeau's stance was that it needs to be adjusted down the line.

Marital status is a huge thing in our legal systems. If you're married you can't consider yourself single. That's fraud. We're strictly against polygamy too. There's really no provision to discriminate between women fleeing a forced marriage and men hiding dependents. I have no problem with married women coming here to escape abuse at home but if they say they're single does that mean they fabricated some other story as the reason for coming here? Can they divorce once they are here? How does that work legally? Family law is unpleasant when all parties involved are in the same city. How do you resolve it when every party is in a different jurisdiction?

I assume how the truth comes to light makes a huge difference. If somebody say they just found out some information is wrong. That might be fine. If the government verified somebody's information and found it's not accurate, that's a little different.

I know a pastor who used to work for Immigration. He said some day he would process an entire plane of applicants who destroyed their papers during the flight and who all claimed to be named Ali Mohammed and be born on January 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom