• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian PoliGAF - 42nd Parliament: Sunny Ways in Trudeaupia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrito

I don't see how it's a done deal. So Belgium agreed on something. Good for them but If those changes are more than cosmetic, Europe and Canada would have to agree as well.

The article on Radio-Canada makes it sound like the whole dispute resolution method was changed. I don't see how Belgium could decide on its own.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Jesse Brown being Jesse Brown but also largely not wrong:

Think Canada is a progressive paradise? That’s mooseshit.

gNh9DtM.jpg

If that’s what you think, that’s fine by us. In fact, it’s our brand: not America. The nice guys. Dull, kind and harmless. That’s how we like to be thought of.

But it’s mooseshit.

We are not the country you think we are. We never have been.

The first prime minister and founding father of Canada, John A Macdonald, was a raging alcoholic. He spent entire campaigns fabulously drunk and once vomited on stage during a stump speech. When his rival pointed it out, Macdonald shot back that he hadn’t puked because of booze, but because he had been “forced to listen to the ranting of my honourable opponent”. It was a deflection worthy of Trump. Macdonald handily won the election.

Each week, Trudeau feeds the news cycle a new sharable moment, and our Facebook feeds are overwhelmed with shots of the adorable young statesman cuddling pandas and hugging refugees and getting accidentally photographed in the wild with his top off, twice.

For international audiences, the Justin moment has been a harmless diversion. For Canadians, it’s a dangerous distraction. Canadians care far more about what Americans think of us than we do about Canadian politics. Little wonder that things remain so grim.

I don't see how it's a done deal. So Belgium agreed on something. Good for them but If those changes are more than cosmetic, Europe and Canada would have to agree as well.

The article on Radio-Canada makes it sound like the whole dispute resolution method was changed. I don't see how Belgium could decide on its own.

From what I'm understanding off of a couple articles, it seems like they are ready to begin the process of officially signing it as of tomorrow night

gNh9DtM.jpg

As long as he Legalizes Marijuana, Follows through on his agenda for Electoral Reform (with hopefully a PR System), Does something about some of the Draconian Conservative Laws that passed and finds out something to do about Youth Unemployment; then I will be more than happy with Trudeau, even if he does nothing else. I mean, he already affected me personally with the 25,000 Tuition Repayment Threshold (even if it was only changing thresholds) and a bunch of our cities will have the money to build out much needed infrastructure investments such as Public Transportation

Pedrito

Whatever Trudeau does, I doubt he could ever reach the level of moral purity the hard left demands...

I also don't know where they got the idea that he was anything other than fiscally moderate, in favor of trade deals and even pipelines. The whole "we got duped so hard, he's just like Harper" narrative is weird.

SRG01

Whatever Trudeau does, I doubt he could ever reach the level of moral purity the hard left demands...

I also don't know where they got the idea that he was anything other than fiscally moderate, in favor of trade deals and even pipelines. The whole "we got duped so hard, he's just like Harper" narrative is weird.

Progressive purity, like conservative purity, should not be taken seriously as it removes good faith from any legitimate conversation. Good politics is based on compromise and working with others who don't share your view.

djkimothy

I think they're butt hurt uncle Tom lost.

Prax

The far left is never satisfied. That is their "role", I suppose: passion as fuel to help us move pragmatically to where we need to go.
I think they are often annoying too, but thems the breaks. lol

maharg

idspispopd

Hm. Maybe it has something to do with people stoking the "Liberals are now to the left of the NDP!!!11!" flames? Which the Liberals didn't seem to much mind during the election.

Seems pretty obvious to me, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pedrito

The lack of pragmatism wouldn't be so bad if they could at least explain what things like "creating a green economy" even mean and how it would compensate overnight for the closing of the oil sands that they want so much.

Worst of all, they make me feel and sound like an angry conservative...

Hm. Maybe it has something to do with people stoking the "Liberals are now to the left of the NDP!!!11!" flames? Which the Liberals didn't seem to much mind during the election.

Seems pretty obvious to me, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, these people didn't look too hard. They never really said they were against pipelines. They never said they were against the TPP and CETA. They never said they would raise the minimum wage. The only reason they were ever considered to be to the left of the NDP is because they said they would run a deficit.

maharg

idspispopd
Well, these people didn't look too hard. They never really said they were against pipelines. They never said they were against the TPP and CETA. They never said they would raise the minimum wage. The only reason they were ever considered to be to the left of the NDP is because they said they would run a deficit.

I'm not saying it was a justified belief (in fact, I was practically alone during the election in canadagaf threads saying it wasn't, making this sudden bafflement extra hilarious). I'm saying it's a widespread belief and suddenly going "durhhhh how did people come up with that idea?" is just kind of stupid. It's pretty obvious that they came to that conclusion because a lot of people told them it was true, and in a lot of ways it *helped them win the election*. It's not rocket science.

Tapejara

Even ignoring the hyperbole of "Trudeau is just as bad as Harper!", Trudeau's only been in office for a year. It's ridiculously premature for them to even make the claim that he's anything like Harper.

http://affaires.lapresse.ca/economi...-canada-ue-la-wallonie-donne-son-feu-vert.php
Posting from LaPresse because all English news sites are too slow picking up the news

basically, Wallonia (Belgium) gives their green light involving CETA
-------------

about Left Purity. They are like that all over the world, they rather be right then actually run things.

Look at the Far-Left in the US.
They are about to elect a candidate who pushed for the Public Option in 1993 when she was 1st Lady and got grilled for it by the GOP and treasonous Blue Dog Democrats, but but but she is not ''progressive'' enough for the Far-Left, yah okay

If there is one future Democrat President who can ''LBJ'' a Public Option this generation, it's Hillary Clinton

Pedrito

So in the end, nothing in the treaty was changed and it was for the most part a PR stunt. The media, especially in Quebec, still all bought the "hero politician fighting for its people" thing.

It's weird that English Canada isn't covering CETA as much as Quebec has.
Qùebecers really want more European wine and more European cheese, LOL

the Wallonia hold out was retarded since we will be buying MORE of their shit then they will be buying of ours

SRG01

the Wallonia hold out was retarded since we will be buying MORE of their shit then they will be buying of ours

100% agreed. North American cheese is gross and I want to get my pear ciders from Normandy without paying an arm and a leg. :)

jet1911

We make some pretty amazing cheeses here but more is always better. :p

gabbo

This is not a good reason to push through a trade deal.

I see

guess I got to get my eyes peeled for when they decide to release the info

It really is frustrating. There is no need for the secrecy. we are all united, when one region succeeds we all succeed. Nobody is looking to screw over the other regions. Part of me feels like somebody needs to give the premiers a slap to the back of the head to remind them we are all One Country and not 10+3 Islands.

Seems pretty obvious to me, but ¯_(ツ)_/¯
NDP would have approved those pipelines and trade deals too, though.

The carbon tax, transgender bill of rights, euthanasia bill (albeit fumbled), marijuana legalization are some of the great progressive legislation coming out of this government. As a usual NDP voter I'm very happy.

Happy to see the CETA saga come to an end too.

maharg

idspispopd
NDP would have approved those pipelines and trade deals too, though.

The carbon tax, transgender bill of rights, euthanasia bill (albeit fumbled), marijuana legalization are some of the great progressive legislation coming out of this government. As a usual NDP voter I'm very happy.

Happy to see the CETA saga come to an end too.

Probably. That's rather beside the point I'm making, though, since I wasn't talking about what the NDP would or wouldn't do. I'm talking about what the Liberals were sold as, and to some extent what they sold themselves as, and what people bought in them. The same people would also be angry at the NDP doing it, because obviously the NDP have sold themselves under that banner as well.

Sean C

They never said they would raise the minimum wage.
On that point, a lot of people tend to associate Canadian and American politics, where there's a big move for the federal minimum wage to be raised. But in the USA that applies to all jobs everywhere; in Canada, the federal minimum wage only applies to federally-regulated industries. The service sector/retail jobs that people are mostly thinking of when they call for a minimum wage increase would not be affected.

Probably. That's rather beside the point I'm making, though, since I wasn't talking about what the NDP would or wouldn't do. I'm talking about what the Liberals were sold as, and to some extent what they sold themselves as, and what people bought in them. The same people would also be angry at the NDP doing it, because obviously the NDP have sold themselves under that banner as well.

A few weeks ago in my strategic communications class we had a senior Conservative strategist come in to talk to us about messaging. I felt horribly slimy afterwards, but one thing he said stuck with me: every day a party is in government, it makes them more and more hypocritical. That's probably why the Liberals are so quick to trumpet their successes -- if they don't, the stuff they don't do can easily drown out what they have achieved. We've seen south of the border how substantial accomplishments can be drowned out by negativity, so if Trudeau wants to hype up stuff like CETA, gender balance in cabinet, and the census returning, he should go for it, because the alternative is people like Jesse Brown and Canadian Labour Congress youth complaining that he hasn't achieved a utopian liberal paradise after a year in office.

Pretty worried the upcoming pot legalization will be bad news in BC

I like the current status quo in Vancouver where I can stroll into a pot shop and discuss the various strains with knowledgable staff.

I have this nightmarish vision of all that going away post-legalization to be replaced with a heavily taxed, BC Liquor distribution only type model where only "Premium" and "economy" strains are available, served up by some clueless liquor store lifer

Give the province's puritan attitude towards booze, it doesn't seem so far fetched

I suspect whatever we end up with will be like the current regime for alcohol sales -- regulated and sold by the provinces, however they see fit. That's probably what the provinces would prefer, no matter how some may protest now. The lure of that extra money will be too much to resist.

That said, Shoppers applying to distribute medical marijuana adds a wrinkle to everything. If they get in there, you have to think it's because they have a long view to selling all pot once it's legal. I imagine it'll be a battle between provinces wanting monopolies on one side, and companies like Loblaws and Recall that want a cut of retail sales on the other.

SRG01

I suspect whatever we end up with will be like the current regime for alcohol sales -- regulated and sold by the provinces, however they see fit. That's probably what the provinces would prefer, no matter how some may protest now. The lure of that extra money will be too much to resist.

That said, Shoppers applying to distribute medical marijuana adds a wrinkle to everything. If they get in there, you have to think it's because they have a long view to selling all pot once it's legal. I imagine it'll be a battle between provinces wanting monopolies on one side, and companies like Loblaws and Recall that want a cut of retail sales on the other.

While the retail side of legalization is pretty much a given, I'm leaning more towards the production side being a huge issue. Overly-tight regulations could lead to a supply-constrained industry, where only a select few have the capacity and scale to produce :(

CazTGG

So...a year in, how do y'all feel about Justin Trudeau and the new Liberal government i.e. what he's done/hasn't done, progress on certain issues and failure to address others, etc.?

Dr.Acula

Banned
So...a year in, how do y'all feel about Justin Trudeau and the new Liberal government i.e. what he's done/hasn't done, progress on certain issues and failure to address others, etc.?

It honestly feels like a minority government with how slowly everything is moving.

I was slightly optimistic at the beginning but more neutral now. Its interesting how his infrastructure plans/enviromentalism has soured relations with aboriginals; see haida tribe. Bill C-22 is a good idea but its more or less pointless unless they adopt the NDP's ideas (NP did a good article on it). I'm against the free trade deals with the pacific and EU but thats just my personal beliefs, from what Ive learnt it doesnt seem like it will bring much gains but Im no economist. Worst of all, Vidyagames still a gajillion $

The Trudeaus need to calm down on the travel expenses, bad optics. Keep that modest.

I do feel that he travels abroad too much; he should halve the foreign trips.

Domestically, I think Justin did a good job communicating with Premieres, more cooperative.

The Trudeau government really needs to accelerate issues related to First Nations, weather its justice, logistics, you name it. Less talk and more walk.

he is not Conservative, so that is a +

So far he seems to be on the right track... then again I understand that politics and laws can take awhile to get things done. I try to keep in mind that we're only 1 year in out of a 4 year term, not only that its a new government so the first year was always going to be relearning the ropes and getting everything setup for the future years.

Realistically, all of the committees are starting to come to a close, so we will likely start seeing legislation start to roll in for the second half of next year and as any government, snowball by the third and fourth years as they try to get reelected again.

So, I'unno. I like that we don't have Harper anymore, Trudeau definitely needs to watch his optics because he's letting minor things blow out of proportion. Ask again next year.

Well he hasn't passed a bunch of unconstitutional criminal laws, so that's a big plus. But he needs to walk the talk. Weed needs to be legal by this time next year. And he needs to start being serious about the electoral reform. I will take nothing less than the mixed proportional system that is in Germany.

Well he hasn't passed a bunch of unconstitutional criminal laws, so that's a big plus. But he needs to walk the talk. Weed needs to be legal by this time next year. And he needs to start being serious about the electoral reform. I will take nothing less than the mixed proportional system that is in Germany.

I'd get contacting my MP were I you, but also I'd be preparing to be very disappointed.

gabbo

You will take nothing then, because you're getting your hopes up way too high

Apathy

Unlike some of the younger members here, I know certain things take time to get going. I don't expect every promise to be completed in the first year. If by year four they have missed the mark on a large portion of things them I'll get rilled up. Realistically though, I'm happier with no conservatives in power. They tend to fuck up the country and the liberals spend time fixing it just to get the conservatives back in to fuck it up again and the cycle continues endlessly.

For a first year, they could have done better but it's OK.

Azih

The honeymoon is over with Trudeau what with the turn back protest and Trudeau's limp response to it. Everything hinges on electoral reform for me. PR has been promised by Canadian politicians for literally more than a hundred years now. And if the Liberals don't bring it in they will ensure that I'll never vote for a Trudeau led party over this.

Which doesn't matter at all since I live in Mississauga and I'm not going to vote Conservative either so my vote is never going to lead to representation. Which is the whole fucking problem.

djkimothy

Can't complain. Got a 1.5% reduction in income taxes which is more than what Harper ever offered me. Accepted over 30k refugees from Syria. Got the ball rolling on marijuana legalization. Among others.

Only disappointment is this whole electoral reform thing but really not a deal breaker.

pr0cs

He's done nothing useful for us other than escalate taxes to a soon to be unbearable degree. I don't expect he'll accomplish anything tbh. Won't matter thou because people are happy having a world darling for its leader as opposed to someone who gets things done.

I fully expect that legalization will be scrapped as well giving us the full circle of lies and promises broken from our beloved pm

The honeymoon is over with Trudeau what with the turn back protest and Trudeau's limp response to it. Everything hinges on electoral reform for me. PR has been promised by Canadian politicians for literally more than a hundred years now. And if the Liberals don't bring it in they will ensure that I'll never vote for a Trudeau led party over this.

...because when Canadian Labour Congress Youth and the Canadian Federation of Students lead a protest against something, it's surely indicative of a larger trend, and not, you know, a bunch of whiny NDP types doing the only thing they know how to do.

I'd be a little less dismissive of them if they weren't spouting the same entitled talking points year in, year out, but until they show that they're interested in doing anything other than demanding free university and high-paying jobs straight out of school, there's really no reason to take them seriously.

As for electoral reform, I think you're vastly overestimating popular appetite for changing how we vote. I suspect that, if anything, federal changes will only happen after PEI changes their system in a few weeks, and we can see how it works in action.

He's done nothing useful for us other than escalate taxes to a soon to be unbearable degree. I don't expect he'll accomplish anything tbh. Won't matter thou because people are happy having a world darling for its leader as opposed to someone who gets things done.

Unless you make over $200k a year, your taxes almost certainly didn't go up...and if you do make more than $200k a year, then suck it up, because the increase there is pretty negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom