• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom sees drop in profit during first quarter but forecasts yet another year of financial growth

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
20240729-34776-header.jpg

Via Automaton West & Capcom:

Capcom published their consolidated financial results for the first quarter of the fiscal year ending March 2025. In the period from April 1 to June 30, 2024, the company saw net sales and profit drop substantially compared to the same period last year, but nonetheless expects growth at the yearly level (source: GameBiz). Capcom has seen financial growth for the past 11 consecutive years.

According to Capcom’s statement, net sales in Q1 were down by 32.5% and net profit was down by 45.1% compared to last year. While this may seem worrying, it has to do with Street Fighter 6’s massive launch in June last year, which carried the figures of the period. By comparison, this year’s first quarter was centered around porting past titles to modern platforms and boosting repeat sales of last year’s big runners, while the new releases are lined up for the fiscal year’s second half. The company reports that Street Fighter 6, Dragon’s Dogma 2 and the Monster Hunter series continue to perform as planned (the latter recently celebrated +100 million units).

For the fiscal year ending March 31, 2025, Capcom forecasts net sales to grow by 8.3% to 165 billion yen and net profit to grow by 6.1% to 46 billion yen.

Financial Results Presentation - https://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2024/1st/explanation_2024_1st_01.pdf

T7lRJiu.png

JqKGCRu.png

Lk6v9kj.png

17tZAfN.png

Killer8

A drop in profit despite increasing prices for Dragon's Dogma 2... Maybe the drop would have been steeper if they hadn't increased the price. Or maybe they would've sold more copies at the lower price and been more profitable overall.

Or maybe the economics don't even matter and Dragon's Dogma 2 just didn't sell because it could more accurately be described as Dragon's Dogshit 2.

In any case, time to rev up the Resident Evil remake machine again.

IAmRei

A drop in profit despite increasing prices for Dragon's Dogma 2... Maybe the drop would have been steeper if they hadn't increased the price. Or maybe they would've sold more copies at the lower price and been more profitable overall.

Or maybe the economics don't even matter and Dragon's Dogma 2 just didn't sell because it could more accurately be described as Dragon's Dogshit 2.

In any case, time to rev up the Resident Evil remake machine again.
dragons dogma 2 is still fine game, its not respectful to say its shit when the game is doing good and have some praises.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I liked Dragons Dogma 2 a lot, but that's mainly because I was able to get infinite ferrystones through mods. If I didn't have those, I mightve hated the game because F that much walking and being ambushed by the same enemies.

KellyNole

I liked Dragons Dogma 2 a lot, but that's mainly because I was able to get infinite ferrystones through mods. If I didn't have those, I mightve hated the game because F that much walking and being ambushed by the same enemies.

This is why I stopped playing the first game. I don't have time for all of that. Maybe when I was younger I wouldn't mind it so much, but I don't have time for that today.

You know what would make you a shitload of money? Okami

No, it would not. Yes, I'm going to be the guy to say it - Okami is only okay, but it's not a great game. It has been re-released on many platforms, and I'd be very surprised if another re-release was successful. It's just not worth it for Capcom, it won't move the needle at all.

I hope Capcom figures out the direction they want RE games to take before running out of Remakes. They have a bunch of old IPs, it may be time to reboot a few of them.

About the sales for Dragon's Dogma 2, Capcom did the stupid move of making it a U$70 game despite it clearly being rushed out to meet their fiscal year, and the terrible state the economy is at right now. The game isn't bad but they lost a lot of potential sales with the price, bad performance, and the stupid in-game microtransactions (that are worthless at the end of the day, but still trash). They did say it performed as expected, so I'd say they already have DLC in the works, especially when they did a survey asking about DLC in the release week, and later, players found many unused assets and places that lead to nowhere with doors closed by rubble to the furthest edges of the map. In summary, the game isn't bad but it is purposely unfinished to be sold later as Capcom usually does (RE4 Remake Ada DLC was certainly made at the same time as the main game, but it was sold later for U$10). If we do get a DD3, then I wish for Capcom to bring the deeper RPG elements and system they had in the Japan-exclusive Dragon's Dogma Online.

I'm already happy with them considering more Megaman games due to the recent survey results for both Western and Eastern audiences proving the blue robot is still much loved everywhere. Maybe we even get some Onimusha, Breath of Fire, and Dino Crisis game after all the Resident Evil craziness slows down.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
This is why I stopped playing the first game. I don't have time for all of that. Maybe when I was younger I wouldn't mind it so much, but I don't have time for that today.

Yupe. Their excuse of 'but our game is not boring, so traveling is not an issue' is complete BS and they were high on their own supply. Take a hike. Walking through same areas for 20th time, fighting the same enemies etc is not fun. Hell I was tired of it even with ferrystones because you can only have 10 max portals so there was still walking. Cant even imagine limited or very few ferrystones.

luca_29_bg

i regret buying it on ps5, it's so tedious get these damn ferrystones! But i didn't have a gpu capable to run it, in some days i will have it but it's too late, plus i don't support denuvo games, so i'm trying to complete it on ps5, it's a nice game, but at level 44 fighting always the same enemies it's so boring!!!! :(

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
how abouts make dragons dogmas and monster hunter without confusing crud i have brian damage make it so i understand

Top Bottom