• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom Tokyo Game Show 2024 Online Program LIVE Sept 26th 23:00 JST / 16:00 CEST / 09:00 EST / 06:00 PDT

El Muerto

Gold Member
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

tkscz

iu

No new game announcements at all, just games we knew was coming or more collections of old games.

Don't get me wrong, I like having some official way of buying power stone but the rest, eh. And I like Monster Hunter, but we knew about MHW

FingerBang

This must have been the worst presentation or whatever it was at any events ever.

...but that Telecaster? I don't know, I kinda dig it. I wonder where it's made and what kind of series it is. I might actually get one (have wanted a Telecaster for a while) if it was like a player II or similar but probably not an American.

Mayar

Remind me, why does TGS exist at all? Because looking at TGS this year, I'm starting to wonder about the expediency of holding it, everything that has been shown so far within the TGS was shown before TGS and they could easily just post the videos on YouTube instead of the exhibition...

Cyberpunkd

Remind me, why does TGS exist at all? Because looking at TGS this year, I'm starting to wonder about the expediency of holding it, everything that has been shown so far within the TGS was shown before TGS and they could easily just post the videos on YouTube instead of the exhibition...
Because the Japanese market is much more retail oriented than the West?

The presentations are clearly destined for the Japanese public based on how they are organised, having English subtitles is a nice bonus.

Mayar

Because the Japanese market is much more retail oriented than the West?

The presentations are clearly destined for the Japanese public based on how they are organised, having English subtitles is a nice bonus.
What does this have to do with it? I mean that usually exhibitions are done to show something new, exciting. What is the point of an exhibition if all you do is show modified trailers of games that were announced and shown a year ago?

Last edited:

Reaseru

One thing I don't yet understand (to be fair i didn't made a big effort to find out), in Monster Hunter Wilds story mode are we going to play with our custom character like we always did or the MC for the story is that dark skinned woman? They cleared that out?

Last edited:
TGS used to be the thing of legend, I'll never forget the MGS2 Reveal all those years ago. How the mighty have fallen.
Honestly I think this was mainly because we weren't all connected back then and Japan would have it's own lineup of games that we would either

A) Not hear of ever (no localization)
B) Not hear of for a year or more (slow localization)

I remember going to The Magicbox website and just being in awe of the box art, news articles, and new footage of games I knew I might never see or would have to pay a large sum of money for in order to import and play. Games like these:

doe3xeefkag91.jpg

77mxcgefkag91.jpg

As a fan of 90s Japanese I.P. like Cowboy Bebop, all I could do at the time was watch this game's footage from afar, downloading small clips from places like limewire. As a fan of Kojima's works I felt the same about Policenauts, and felt the same with Capcom, Konami, Sega, and Square Enix's JP exclusive I.P. back then.

Thankfully worldwide day 1 sales are too important in today's world and Japan, for the most part, has learned over time that there is a large western interest in their properties no matter how obscure.

tl;dr The mystique of TGS is gone because the world and it's media are now all connected, and that's a worthy trade-off imo.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
One thing I don't yet understand (to be fair i didn't made a big effort to find out), in Monster Hunter Wilds story mode are we going to play with our custom character like we always did or the MC for the story is that dark skinned woman? They cleared that out?
Does this answer your question?

Lux R7

How does DD2 run these days? I'm tempted to dive in, but I'm on PS5 and have heard some not so great things as far as optimization goes.

way better since the last update, however i play on pc so i'm not sure about the ps5 performance (i guess it is better now on every platform tho)

Top Bottom