• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caravan SandWitch - Game Reveal Trailer | PS5, PC & Switch

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

ABOUT THIS GAME​

CSW_KeyartSteam.gif

In Caravan SandWitch, embark on a journey across a Sci-Fi Provence-like world, driven by a mystery through your missing sister that unfolds with each step you take.

GifExplo.gif

Interact with the communities on Cigalo, help them with their tasks and meet new people along the way. Take your time to explore the world, whether in your van or on foot.

Life is simple: no combat, no death, no timer, just you, your van, and the world.​

Explore a Provence-like World

GifVan.gif

Equipped with your van and an array of essential tools, you set out on a quest to find your missing sister. Upgrade your van throughout your adventure and explorations to open up new passages and ruins. From navigating treacherous terrain to uncovering ancient ruins, every step of your journey brings you closer to unraveling the truth behind your sister's disappearance.​

A hopeful Post-Apocalypse

GifLandscapes.gif

From a green planet to a desertic one due to human activities and sur-exploitation; discover on Cigalo the impact of humans and its population through your road trip. Meet the Reinetos, an old aboriginal species, the Robots left behind after the planet exploitation, the humans who stayed after everyone left for another planet, and the mysterious SandWitch. All of them live peacefully in Cigalo and help each other in this unwelcome environment.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
A Game developed for All

Plane Toast made huge importance to create a game in which everyone can feel included, representing their vision of a world where communities help each other to overcome the environmental consequences of our world.

Caravan SandWitch is written with an inclusive script, that represents a real community with its people and representation.

This could mean nothing but I've learned it's generally a big red flag.

Fbh

Gold Member
I like the art style, and the overall tone seems chill.
That said, with no combat and no skill based traversal or platforming (at least from what is shown in the trailer) I'd have to see more info about what the gameplay is actually like.
Is it more of a puzzle game? or just a walking simulator?

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
no combat and death? urrrgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Last edited:

GrayDock

Awesome visuals, a Prince of Persia (the first PC one) or a NES Ninja Gaiden would be amazing with that art style. A Chrono Trigger remake with those visuals would be a dream come true, and way more cheap for Square to make...

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Artstyle reminds me of Justant which was also by a French studio, I'm now wondering if it's based on some sort of traditional artstyle I'm unaware of with two games having this almost "pastel" look to then in very short order.

This could mean nothing but I've learned it's generally a big red flag.

So you know when people talk about how diversity hijacks titles and inserts itself? Well with these small indie games this is closer to those people rather than hijacking, creating there own studios to tell the story's they want to tell, which is kinda the point.

Oh also there entire team is white and French.

So it'll be funny to see them preaching about race issues if they do go that way.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
So you know when people talk about how diversity hijacks titles and inserts itself? Well with these small indie games this is closer to those people rather than hijacking, creating there own studios to tell the story's they want to tell, which is kinda the point.

Oh also there entire team is white and French.

So it'll be funny to see them preaching about race issues if they do go that way.

I dont think race is the diversity they are talking about:

gCt0W7Q.png

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Caravan SandWitch is an action-adventure exploration game developed by Studio Plane Toast. Players will explore diverse environments, make new friends, and investigate a bewitching mystery. Caravan SandWitch is coming to PlayStation 5 (PS5), Nintendo Switch, and PC (Steam) with a demo available now on Steam.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire
Won't be making a separate thread but it looks like reviews are in.

T98BzOr.png

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 65 / 100
Caravan SandWitch is a game with a therapeutic effect that truly relaxes you as you play, as everything in it is designed with that goal in mind. However, it falls short in many other aspects, with several questionable design choices, such as the absence of voice acting, which feels like a crucial missing element for this type of game.

Console Creatures - David Pietrangelo - Recommended
Through a large cast of great characters, a world that is deeper than it appears on the surface, and a larger mystery waiting to be solved, Caravan SandWitch is one of the best and most chill open-world adventures you will ever have.

Digitec Magazine - Kevin Hofer - German - 3 / 5
In Caravan SandWitch, I explore a beautifully broken world with my caravan in search of my missing sister. I upgrade it over time, which allows me to progress further and further. At the beginning, I enjoyed the calm gameplay. However, it quickly became repetitive and felt more like work than fun. Thanks to the great story, however, I stayed with it until the end.

If you like relaxing games and short Metroidvanias, I can recommend Caravan SandWitch. Everyone else should keep their hands off it.

Duuro Magazine - Krist Duro - Essential
Caravan SandWitch is a game that blends heartwarming storytelling, captivating world-building, and stress-free exploration into a unique experience. Whether you’re solving the mysteries of Cigalo, upgrading your van, or simply taking in the breathtaking scenery, every moment in this game feels thoughtful and lovingly crafted.

Evilgamerz - Christiaan Ribbens - Dutch - 8 / 10
The game contains few frustrations. The art style is delightfully French and the focus on exploring a world full of mysteries is a fresh approach. Caravan SandWitch quickly manages to put a smile on your face. It helps that there are no fights, you can't die and there is no time pressure. It is still strange to jump from enormous heights without suffering any consequences. The finish is high, the climbing and the gadgets including your camper work neatly and are well used in the world. It is therefore a shame that especially the camera, the glitches and the unnecessary crashing of your camper make the fun a little less. But I have every confidence that the makers will solve this. If you are looking for mystery, a holiday to the French countryside or simply want to try out a great new game from a new developer, then you are in the right place.

GAMES.CH - Sven Raabe - German - 74%
Caravan SandWitch definitely has its heart in the right place and impresses first and foremost with its interesting world and pleasantly relaxed atmosphere. However, uninspired missions and various technical errors hinder this charming adventure game from fully developing its undoubted potential.

Gameffine - Jay Krishnan - 75 / 100
Caravan SandWitch is exactly what it markets itself to be — a stress-free, relaxing 10-hour romp through a beautiful wasteland filled with heartfelt stories and colorful characters. While its repetitive quest design, iffy PC performance, and technical issues prevent the game from achieving its full potential, Caravan SandWitch offers a pleasant experience that all demographics will be able to pick up and enjoy.

Glitched Africa - Marco Cocomello - 8 / 10
Caravan SandWitch’s charming world, engaging quests and beautiful cel-shaded visuals make it a delightful and unforgettable experience. It just might be the game you need right now.

IGN Spain - Estrella Gómez - Spanish - 4 / 10
Caravan SandWitch presents a beautiful world that is not fully exploited. Everything remains pure appearance, with the story and its characters crying out for more depth and a slower pace. While the gameplay feels great, it doesn't end up shining due to the poor environment.

LadiesGamers.com - Paula Moore - Liked-a-lot
If you are looking for a game with lots of action or high stakes, then Caravan SandWitch is not the game for you. This is a game that is all about taking your time, enjoying the world, and connecting with the characters you meet along the way. It’s a game that encourages you to slow down and really appreciate the journey rather than just rushing to the end.

If you enjoy exploration and a good story, like I do, then Caravan SandWitch is definitely worth checking out. It’s a game with a lot of heart, and it offers an experience that’s both relaxing and enjoyable. Whether you’re in it for the mystery, the exploration, or just the chance to unwind in a beautiful world, Caravan SandWitch is a journey worth taking.

PSX Brasil - Marco Aurélio Couto - Portuguese - 70 / 100
Caravan SandWitch was supposed to be a relaxing game about exploring a planet aboard a van. But instead, the repetition of scenarios and the limitations imposed by a system of collecting components required to proceed in the story hinder a considerable part of the experience.

Press Start - James Wood - 7 / 10
Caravan SandWitch crafts a gently beautiful apocalypse for players to explore but is bogged down by its decision to withhold exploration tools from the player. An otherwise compelling, humble sci-fi tale of family and the machines of progress is held back by a game torn between its open world and goals as a focused narrative experience.

Push Square - Robert Ramsey - 7 / 10
Caravan SandWitch is just a really pleasant video game. It can be a bit rough around the edges in terms of animations and technical performance, but its story intrigues, and its atmospheric brand of exploration is largely a delight.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Nic Reuben - Unscored
Occasional forced trinket collection aside, this tiny open-world is filled with stress-free exploration, lovely sights, and simple, satisfying puzzles.

Saving Content - Harry Harrison - 3 / 5
After the six hours it took for me to complete Caravan SandWitch (many of which were spent trying to find a single door that I kept missing), I can confidently say I’m not in a rush to go back, even if in the final moment of the game I was presented with an unexpected potentially story-altering choice. Though I am glad such a story exists in such a well presented package, I just hope it finds its audience who can see past the awkward driving and repetitive puzzles.

Seasoned Gaming - Luis Aviles - 9 / 10
If you’re looking for a relaxed adventure with a mysterious backdrop and an unwavering sense of discovery, Caravan SandWitch is your game.

The Games Machine - Daniele Cucchiarelli - Italian - 7 / 10
An 'on the road' adventure to rediscover the sense of belonging to a community, of living to share. Some will criticise Caravan SandWitch for the simplicity of its gameplay, the lack of a real challenge and some minor technical issues. It is legitimate, as long as you don't lose sight of its story and what lies behind it, because this is the element that elevates the game above the crowd of mediocrity.

XboxEra - Genghis Husameddin - 7.3 / 10
Caravan SandWitch is a beautiful adventure that covers stories of struggles and grief, paired with pleasant French vocals and a vibrant art style. And even though I found its main progression to be tedious, I did enjoy exploring the world of Cigalo and learning about its lovely peoples. If you seek a nomad’s adventure, van included, look no further than this little journey right here.

Top Bottom