• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carmageddon: Reincarnation Kickstarter by Stainless Games [Ended, $625K funded]

Saty

Every known game developer\persona who is planning to pledge this should do it at the level that makes him a pedestrian in-game. One big party.

Games in Kickstarter should be born out of the need for money to get a project going that would otherwise be doomed, like Wasteland 2. For a car combat game with the Carmageddon license i'm sure can be funded by publishers too. Sorry, this gets no money from me :/

I don't see anything on Kickstarter that states it should purely be used to raise money "to get a project going that would otherwise be doomed". Stainless are trying to produce a game and they want to avoid (if possible) any publisher interference.

I would even say getting a publisher to back a game like Carmageddon would be incredibly difficult in this day and age. I can't think of any publisher that would take an IP like Carmageddon onto their books due to its controversial themes.

They want to make the game, they need money to do that (they have already spent over $300,000 getting the name back). So they have turned to Kickstarter to see if they can get the fans to fund it. I honestly don't see the problem, hell if you pledge $15 you get a copy of the game when it is released so it is kinda like a super advanced pre-order.

At the end of the day I want to see Carmageddon on my PC and if that means I have to make an "advanced payment" for my copy of the game then that isn't a huge thing to ask of me. I hope you change your mind

EvB

Car Combat games don't sell that well do they?

No doubt they have already pitched this to publishers, especially as they have been working on it for a little while already.

As long as the physics are the same and the cars can still be crumpled into a completely unrecognisable shape, then I'm in.

Keep the physics a bit exaggerated like the original, but update the car damage models. :p Also bring back the cows that run away from you at light speed!

But this is awesome and unexpected. I will probably back it later. Though what is interesting about this game is that they already have part of it funded , as the lead designer said in the video, and are looking at Kickstarter to pay the rest of the bills.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Love me some Carma but this just went wrong i think. First they were making it all proper, now they fucked something up and lost the publisher? So they ask for fans to fund it.

this is an incredibly stupid post given the fact that they left Eidos at the beginning of 00s and bought the rights from Square Enix in 2011. They weren't making a game for a publisher. They bought the rights last year to make the game themselves. FFS research before you post.

kyubajin

Of all the KS reborn franchises this is the only one I did play until my fingers bleeded. I was so into this game! Although no Mac release at launch is kinda off-putting.

tmarques

What games has he been involved in since Carmageddon? I'm sure he's a very nice, honest, hard-working gentleman, but I'd hate to find out one year from now that he ran out of money and can't complete the game.

"What games has he been involved in since Carmageddon? I'm sure he's a very nice, honest, hard-working gentleman, but I'd hate to find out one year from now that he ran out of money and can't complete the game."

I don't know what games he personally has worked on, but his company made the first Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalker and Risk: Factions, on top of a bunch of other XBLA games.

mclem

Wonder how they are doing this given that Crowd funding is illegal in the UK

I *think* that only applies for situations where the people donating are doing so in the hope of future revenue, but I may be wrong. And I don't think it's illegal as much as requires more oversight. That said, I may be talking complete rubbish.

In short: It's not illegal so much as not legal. It's not against the law, it's just not *covered* by the law. I think.

The way it's worded it sounds like this is more about securing full creative control than funding the game's existence.

I really liked Carmageddon 2, but that was over a decade ago. Not fully convinced they've still got what it takes to make a good, relevant Carmageddon game. But I'm enticed enough to go for a discounted pre-order.

Riggs

Banned
Oh my god how did I miss this? This is amazing!!!!

Path of exile update tonight
D3 OT tonight
Carmageddon kickstarter also?!?!

God is to good!!!

ZoddGutts

this is an incredibly stupid post given the fact that they left Eidos at the beginning of 00s and bought the rights from Square Enix in 2011. They weren't making a game for a publisher. They bought the rights last year to make the game themselves. FFS research before you post.

Hell he didn't even need to research, they say it in the video.

oh don't be such a sourpuss :D still doesn't explain that custom Range Rover and all ;D

(backed for 15$)

ksimm

I loved their video brief, sold! I played an unhealthy amount of Carmageddon back in the day and cried when my original disc cracked, thank you digital downloads!

Damn, I could have sworn that when I tried it way back it had everything. That's a shame.

Anyways apperantly Stainless had to jump through some hoops to get on Kickstarter.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/stainless-hopes-fund-new-carmageddon-through-kickstarter
This is one of the more interesting projects in the recent rush to Kickstarter: Stainless is a UK company, and Kickstarter is typically restricted to permanent residents of the United States. In an email, Stainless co-founder Neil Barnden explains what the studio has done to ensure it complies with Kickstarter's terms.

"[Kickstarter] uses Amazon Payments, which means that anyone setting up a Kickstarter account must have a US company and a US bank account in order to comply with US tax laws," he tells us. "As we've discovered, this is not a trivial undertaking.

"We've worked very closely with a US lawyer to ensure that we've fulfilled the requirements - it's been really time-consuming and actually delayed the Carmageddon Reincarnation launch by over three weeks. As the site's popularity continues to grow, we hope that Kickstarter is able to overcome regulatory regimes in other countries."

Max Damage had a bit of good news to share on Twitter :-

Max Damage said:
We've passed the $100k mark... A quarter of the way to our target within 24hrs. I can feel my helmet getting shinier by the hour...

https://twitter.com/#!/Max_Damage/status/200229833056329729

I have never bothered with any kickstarter's before but I imagine raising 100 grand in the space of 24 hours is pretty good going/ Obviously it will slow down eventually, but the 400k target is looking feasible right now with 28 days to go.

Anyways apperantly Stainless had to jump through some hoops to get on Kickstarter.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/stainless-hopes-fund-new-carmageddon-through-kickstarter

As a fine gentlemen of the British Isles may I take the opportunity to say that this country sucks balls. I really cannot understand why it is "illegal" for this kind of thing in the UK. But then 99% the crap the Government pulls these days is completely moronic.

mclem

I have never bothered with any kickstarter's before but I imagine raising 100 grand in the space of 24 hours is pretty good going/ Obviously it will slow down eventually, but the 400k target is looking feasible right now with 28 days to go.
It's very good going. We've had a few projects that have completely blown things away in the first 24 hours (I think DFA was on a million by that point), but breaking the $100k barrier that rapidly is definitely a good sign.

As a fine gentlemen of the British Isles may I take the opportunity to say that this country sucks balls. I really cannot understand why it is "illegal" for this kind of thing in the UK. But then 99% the crap the Government pulls these days is completely moronic.
I think his post there was about Kickstarter's rules, not the UK's laws.

spanks

Why did they can the XBLA version? Licensing costs? Considering their last few games have been on XBLA, and that the programming would be almost identical to the PC version, it seems like a bit of a cop out. Hell, they're probably even designing the controls around the 360 controller. Hopefully they'll change their mind at some point, it's about time consoles got a (decent) Carmageddon.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why did they can the XBLA version? Licensing costs? Considering their last few games have been on XBLA, and that the programming would be almost identical to the PC version, it seems like a bit of a cop out. Hell, they're probably even designing the controls around the 360 controller. Hopefully they'll change their mind at some point, it's about time consoles got a (decent) Carmageddon.

It's expensive to put games on XBLA and sales are way way down on that platform.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

The game was originally announced for "today's platforms", but that was when Stainless was optimistic about finding a co-developer/publisher to help fund development. From what's been said about just how far the $400k (minus fees and expenses) will allow Stainless to go, it seems that development will be iterative, in which case PC exclusivity is the wisest choice until the entire game is complete.

Wow.

dailypledges.png

dailybackers.png

At this rate, it will be funded in 4-5 days. I wonder if they have any special initiatives planed after that? Mac version, Linux version? Console/ iOS ports?

mclem

At this rate, it will be funded in 4-5 days.
I expect it to die down somewhat soonish to a more steady rate, but it's quite possible it'll be funded by then.

I wonder if they have any special initiatives planed after that? Mac version, Linux version? Console/ iOS ports?
Given they're going for an iterative development process, it makes stretch goals a little awkward; how do you promise new gameplay features that couldn't just be assumed as "something that was coming in the next iteration anyway"? If they delay the game to add new features, how is that any different from just releasing one iteration later along the schedule?

To that end, I'm expecting stretch goals to be something tangential to the game itself; ports, as you suggested, would be the most obvious choice. If they do want stretch goals in the form of new features, I'd imagine they'd have to be something that's not directly 'adding more stuff to the game'; I can't help but think that toolsets for importing skins, models and maybe even levels would be distinct enough that they're not simply part of the iterative development plan but still something that it'd be plausible that the scope was being expanded to include.

mclem

I just got the original Carmageddon working with a 360 controller, it's fantastic. Any chance of a gog.com release?

I'd assume the rights to the original games would have remained with SCi, who in turn would have been absorbed ultimately into Squeenix - in other words, I think the right deals are in place for it to happen.

I'd assume the rights to the original games would have remained with SCi, who in turn would have been absorbed ultimately into Squeenix - in other words, I think the right deals are in place for it to happen.

It's painful when so many old classics like this one get lost through ownership rights. The same thing with the original Wasteland. We will probably never see that one back in retail (on services like GOG) ever again either.

mclem

It's painful when so many old classics like this one get lost through ownership rights. The same thing with the original Wasteland. We will probably never see that one back in retail (on services like GOG) ever again either.
When the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter began I thought I'd try to track down a copy. Got lucky on an ebay auction for the Ultimate RPG Archives for <£20, but most of the copies I found were significantly more than that.

News has also hit the Daily Mail!
Oh, excellent. I'm sure they've got a measured and calm response to this story.

Top Bottom