• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Carpool lane ticket recipient will fight claiming his corporation is a 2nd person

Status
Not open for further replies.
A goofy defense based upon a goofy legal fiction. Why not?

50e7614e00dc6.preview-300.jpg

A lone Marin driver’s naughty sneak into the carpool lane could spell the end of corporate personhood as we know it—or at least that’s San Rafael resident Jonathan Frieman’s plan, as he heads to Marin Superior Court next week to challenge a traffic violation and, ultimately, the U.S. Supreme Court’s Citizens United decision.

Frieman was heading south on Highway 101 through Novato on Oct. 2 when he was cited for violating California vehicle code 21655.5, which prohibits drivers from entering unauthorized vehicle lanes—in Frieman’s case, being a solo occupant in a lane requiring two or more persons. But Frieman plans to contest the $478 violation in court on Jan. 7, arguing that he had corporate incorporation papers in his car at the time and, he says, the state vehicle code views corporations as persons—therefore he and his corporation constituted a two-person carpool.

According to a press release from Kathleen Russell Consulting, the Mill Valley-based firm handling publicity for Frieman’s quest for justice, state vehicle code 470’s definition of a person includes “natural persons and corporations.”

If he loses in court on Monday, continues the press release, Frieman says he is prepared to appeal the case all the way to the Supreme Court “in an effort to expose the impracticality of corporate personhood.”

ElRenoRaven

As silly as it is, I'm for this if he succeeds.

You and me both. That ruling that corporations are a person too was such bullshit. I'm all for business but at some point there has to be a limit to things. That said though I fully expect him to get laughed out of court sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom