• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Caterpillar appears as a snake for camouflage

Status
Not open for further replies.

beast786

CATERS_snake_caterpillar_06-1024x971.jpg

CATERS_snake_caterpillar_09-1024x630.jpg

CATERS_snake_caterpillar_08-1024x699.jpg

A caterpillar in Costa Rica uses a unique disguise to ward off predators and the costume is quite striking, as is its response should it be approached.

The caterpillar cleverly camouflages itself as a slithering snake and comes with a head that looks like a snake. The snake caterpillar, in its larval state before becoming a moth, will also strike harmlessly if approached, just as a snake would, with the exception of a potential bite.

According to Caters News Agency, the bug creates the illusion of looking like a dangerous reptile by expanding parts at the end of its body.

Daniel Janzen, a professor of biology at the University of Pennsylvania, took the photos you see here while cataloguing caterpillars in the Area de Conservacion Guanacaste, Costa Rica. Caters News Agency released the photos on Tuesday.
http://www.grindtv.com/outdoor/nature/post/caterpillar-appears-snake-camouflage/

One step closer to crocoduck
220px-Kirkcameroncrocoduck.JPG

MartyStu

That is terrifying. It is times like this that I am a lot less skeptical of the existence of an intelligent designer...

How does something like this even happen?

The snake caterpillar, in its larval state before becoming a moth, will also strike harmlessly if approached, just as a snake would, with the exception of a potential bite.

How?!

charsace

That's my first thought.

How scary are snakes that other animals develop body to mimic them?

Real scary. Kids fear them naturally. Its like our genes story the memory of what a snake is and what it can do. That's how scary the fuckers are.

Animals looking like other things/animals for camouflage... this is exactly the thing I do not understand about evolution.
Evolution occurs in small steps. How did this caterpillar 'know' how to take all the right steps to end up looking like this?

cajunator

Banned
Ive seen this in a magazine a looooong time ago. Always been fascinated with natural mimickry.
I saw this moth at Lowes that resembles a wasp
SBmAg4I.jpg

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Animals looking like other things/animals for camouflage... this is exactly the thing I do not understand about evolution.
Evolution occurs in small steps. How did this caterpillar 'know' how to take all the right steps to end up looking like this?
He did not. It's just that the catapult with this mutation happened to not be eaten as much. Therefore he was able to pass his mutation on. Pure luck and it takes a crap load of time. It's pure coincidence that his mutation looks like a snake.

I for one am not amazed.

Derwind

Nature never ceases to amaze. The biggest question I have is - how do you evolve THAT characteristic?

Probably the caterpillars that more resembled a snake detered more predators on average and survived to pass on those unique genes until we have sonething like this.

I can't wait for the caterpillar with a human head. Gun be good.

Aurongel

It seems so crazy that evolution can produce something this refined and accurate to what a snake actually looks like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom