• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cave Story 3DS |OT| Definitive version, for those of us who have never played it

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Mechar said:
So, is there an option that enables you to play this with it's original graphics?
Yes, but it comes as paid DLC from the eShop.

1-D_FTW

Gonna be honest: never heard of a single one of those sites. Is this like the movie advert where all the quotes are from places you've never heard of?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
1-D_FTW said:
Gonna be honest: never heard of a single one of those sites. Is this like the movie advert where all the quotes are from places you've never heard of?
Seems like big sites are too busy reviewing the big games. I'll update the OP when more reviews come.

Kazerei

Banned
marc^o^ said:
Seems like big sites are too busy reviewing the big games. I'll update the OP when more reviews come.
Can you update it with more info in general? Like what kind of game it is, release dates, differences between versions, etc. Stuff that's normally in OTs...

Mechar said:
For real? How much and when?
He was joking, he was suggesting buying the DSi download-only version of the game, which uses all original 2D art. But of course won't have the new music, options, or stereoscopic 3D support.

I liked the remixed wii version the best. The music I've heard in the trailer for this one is annoying as hell and much too "busy" for my tastes.

walking fiend said:
If it wasn't good, which is what I initially thought, I would definitely not buy the game and understand free version recommendations.

But, why should you not experience the best version just because it costs money?

It is not as if it is just your average throw away game.

I would say you people live on charity money of I didn't know for better...
It's not about being cheap. It's the fact that you can already play the original, with all of its integrity and charm and delicious authorial intent intact, for free on a variety of platforms. No ifs, ands, buts, or compromises.

But if you absolutely must take Cave Story out of the house with you, and the only portable device you have is a 3DS, then I guess this is worthwhile.

jiji said:
It's not about being cheap. It's the fact that you can already play the original, with all of its integrity and charm and delicious authorial intent intact, for free on a variety of platforms. No ifs, ands, buts, or compromises.

But if you absolutely must take Cave Story out of the house with you, and the only portable device you have is a 3DS, then I guess this is worthwhile.
You're saying the author doesn't like this version, and never intended the game to be in 3D? I thought I read that he worked closely with the developer on this version.

jiji said:

No it's not, you can still buy the graphically superior version on the eshop for $30 cheaper.

Dreamwriter said:
You're saying the author doesn't like this version, and never intended the game to be in 3D? I thought I read that he worked closely with the developer on this version.
I'm not saying either. I'm saying that the author created Cave Story completely by himself, and by necessity he didn't do the same with the 3DS version. I understand that he's overseeing Cave Story 3D closely, but it's not as interesting to me, because it didn't emerge from the same circumstances.

jiji said:
I'm not saying either. I'm saying that the author created Cave Story completely by himself, and by necessity he didn't do the same with the 3DS version. I understand that he's overseeing Cave Story 3D closely, but it's not as interesting to me, because it didn't emerge from the same circumstances.
That's a far cry from your earlier statement that this version was against his intentions, and thus the only point of this is to be portable.

Dreamwriter said:
That's a far cry from your earlier statement that this version was against his intentions, and thus the only point of this is to be portable.
I never claimed anything was against his intent. I said that the original version has all of the authorial intent intact. Logic!

jiji said:
Even then I think a good argument can be made for the DSiWare version.

I still wish they'd have just quickie ported the WiiWare/App Store version to the eShop.

lunchwithyuzo said:
Even then I think a good argument can be made for the DSiWare version.

I still wish they'd have just quickie ported the WiiWare/App Store version to the eShop.
Even the Wiiware version is worse than the original free version. You can't even start up the game without hearing the shitty remixed music.

Parallax Scroll said:
"Definitive version" my ass.

Hearing about a 3DS version almost convinced me to buy a system. Maybe next year when they release the dual analog version...

*runs away

Parallax Scroll said:
Even the Wiiware version is worse than the original free version. You can't even start up the game without hearing the shitty remixed music.
I like the remixed graphics/audio, but even if you don't there's always the original. Options aren't a bad thing, and neither is sending money the creator's way imo.

dark10x said:
Is this actually only 30 fps?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32106520&postcount=128

Dacvak said:
There's definitely a good amount of depth, and it certainly looks a lot better in motion than a lot of those [garbage] screenshots looked. I really, really miss the 2D sprites, though.

Also, it's a solid framerate. Haven't seen it dip below 30 yet. (I'm not too far, though.)

Reviewers tend to be framerate-blind (or framerate-indifferent) to an alarming degree, so I don't put much stock in the fact that none of the reviews mention the game running at only 60% of the framerate of the original.

mclem

1-D_FTW said:

David Manning: "The game stinks!"

Parallax Scroll said:
1. Take a good, free game
2. Make it worse
3. Charge money for it
4. Stupid people buy it
5. Profit!
That's what a lot of people say about remakes in general. Just because the original is known to be better, it doesn't mean the remake isn't worthwhile. It'll likely be quite a different experience from the original, making it worthwhile to play both versions.

Luckily, both versions are actually in the game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Oh, and because it doesn't seem to be mentioned in this thread: many areas have been revised/expanded to contain new or altered sections, and there are some new sections based on ideas that appeared in the original betas but not the final release (including secret areas). All the life capsules have been tweaked to increase your life capacity by a unique amount (100 total, up from 55), and they've added 40 new ones in addition to changing the locations of some of the old ones. There's also some new items, including a Prinny Cap.

(sorry if this is covered in the reviews, haven't read 'em yet)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm pretty sure the WiiWare release is also "Pixel's" as in it's an exact port and he did the optional new graphics for Nicalis (I guess not the redone music but you don't have to use that), no harm in actually sending some money and support beyond "I <3 your game" his way considering the quality. Same reason I wanna buy La-Mulana if it ever releases here on any platform, though that's also a more substantial remake than the original version. And of course the DSiWare version which is just like the freebie.

@MUWANdo

Banned
MLH said:
According to NOE's release schedule Cave Story DSi is due out in Q4 2011, so it might be worth waiting if you prefer 2D sprites and a cheaper version.

This is not the first time it's appeared on their release schedule. Until it's up on the store it's best to just assume it's not coming. Seriously, what is Nicalis' deal? Shit came out in NA a year ago.

Either way, it doesn't mean a whole lot to me as I'm not particularly interested in buying it - it contains almost none of the additional content of the WiiWare/Mac+/Steam (soon) versions and has a cropped viewing area due to the DSi's smaller resolution.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
New review from 1up: B+
It's still the same great, challenging masterpiece, only now it's seen a few minor tweaks. Seeing those hard-edged pixels swapped for chunky polygons makes a strictly cosmetic difference. [...]
The new graphics could have been disastrous; 2D games often suffer when taken into the third dimension thanks to the changes in physics and fuzzy collision detection that usually come along with such a move. Cave Story 3D avoids the first pitfall by retaining its original feel and physics -- it plays exactly like the original game -- and the second by making use of the system's 3D capabilities. The biggest problem with 2D platformers modeled in polygons is judging depth and edges. The use of true 3D -- while a bit eye-straining at times -- overcomes this challenge by utterly removing any ambiguity about your character's spatial position relative to the rest of the game world and its denizens. Unlike nearly every other "2.5D" game I've played (even ones I love, like Mega Man Powered Up), Cave Story 3D's action never suffers for the move to polygons.
3D perfect for 2D platformers confirmed. Gives me high hopes for Rayman and future Vanillaware games.

Top Bottom