• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CBS signs three actors to main 'Hawaii Five-O' cast replacing Daniel Kim, Grace Park

Fuchsdh

I can't get mad at Subway product placements. It's pretty much the only reason Chuck got to finish out its run strong instead of being abruptly cancelled.

As much as I support equal pay regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation, the two actors that left are clearly less known actors than the white actors. If that's a question of asian actors having less chances, yeah, maybe. But regardless of that, and regardless of screen time and script presence on this particular show, the more recognized actors get more, that's just how it is. Some thing for NCIS.

As much as I support equal pay regardless of gender, ethnicity or sexual orientation, the two actors that left are clearly less known actors than the white actors. If that's a question of asian actors having less chances, yeah, maybe. But regardless of that, and regardless of screen time and script presence on this particular show, the more recognized actors get more, that's just how it is. Some thing for NCIS.

Ummmmm no.

Daniel Dae Kim was a major character on one of the biggest TV cultural phenomenons in ages...

And Grace Park was a major character on the one of the other biggest TV cultural phenomenons in ages

Who the fuck is Alex O'Laughlin

Ummmmm no.

Daniel Dae Kim was a major character on one of the biggest TV cultural phenomenons in ages...

And Grace Park was a major character on the one of the other biggest TV cultural phenomenons in ages

Alex OLaughlin is the star of Hawaii Five 0.

Alex OLaughlin is the star of Hawaii Five 0.

Point they were making is that regardless of the roles they had on that show that clearly the white guys were bigger names and that's why they get more money...

Hence why I said what I said...

Because in the end who the fuck is Alex O'Laughlin....

Slayven

Good for the actors, but CBS isn't being cute.

Ummmmm no.

Say it again

Point they were making is that regardless of the roles they had on that show that clearly the white guys were bigger names and that's why they get more money...

Hence why I said what I said...

He's the star of Hawaii Five-0

LOL I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself.

That's the narrative that CBS is pushing to explain why they couldn't pay the two as much as the white men - one of which only works half a season. However, they forgot that this is how they sold the show:

hawaii+five0+tv+billboard.jpg

Yeah, you don't put your supporting characters front and center ...
Aren't Park and DDK better known too? Kim was coming from Lost and Park from BSG. Where are the other two from? I guess Caan has a famous dad...

Ummmmm no.

He's also Johnny fuckin' Gat.

MUnited83

For you.

Are they? I'm watched quite a few stuff with Daniel Dae Kim (including LOST, one of the biggest TV shows in history) and Grace Park was in Battlestar Galactica, a pretty hugely sucessful sci-fi series.
Meanwhile, I didn't even fucking know who the hell Scott Caan and Alex O Loughlin were until Hawaii Five-O. Have you looked at their filmographies? Anyone who thinks Alex O Loughlin is more known than Daniel or Grace is out of it.

That's the narrative that CBS is pushing to explain why they couldn't pay the two as much as the white men - one of which only works half a season. However, they forgot that this is how they sold the show:

hawaii+five0+tv+billboard.jpg

Yeah, you don't put your supporting characters front and center ...

It isn't a "narrative" DDK was like 5th place in importance and screen time.
Scott Caan despite being out 8+ episodes still has far more screen time.
Grace Park was 3rd and Chi McBride 4th.

Aren't Park and DDK better known too? Kim was coming from Lost and Park from BSG. Where are the other two from? I guess Caan has a famous dad...
https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?q=/m/03_dxb,/m/04ylwr,/m/044mrh,/m/079jcl

louiedog

I think I only know Scott Caan's name because of his dad. I still can never remember the other guy. I have no trouble remembering Park and Kim when I see them.

Caan was in Gone in 60 Seconds, All three recent Oceans movies, and Entourage. That's in addition to being James Caan's son.

His resume is objectively bigger than Kim's and Park's.

I really want to know how Ian Anthony Dale is going to be promoted, he was just Grace Park character's husband.
He also wasn't a cop, military, etc.

BluWacky

In all seriousness, Alex O'Loughlin (I think, based purely on career to date) has some kind of talent holding deal with CBS which will keep him front and centre. Both his previous two TV shows - and a film they put him in with Jennifer Lopez - flopped big time (although I was a bit of a Moonlight fan back in the day - it did Twilight before Twilight, really), but he's clearly anchoring H50 as its hot white male lead.

Wait

How the fuck is Adam main cast now when Kono was his wife? She leaves him an he takes her job? Is she officially being killed off? I didn't see the back half of the last season because I got bored of it all, but I don't imagine it would clear much up here?

It's funny because Daniel Dae Kim started his own production company called 3AD and signed a first look deal with CBS TV Studios, the first of it's kind with an Asian American actor. So they chose to do an American adaptation of a South Korean TV series called Good Doctor, and low and behold, cast a White actor as the lead. CBS passed on the project, and ABC picked it up.

Here's the trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJggy8xtmI

I don't see how you can empathize with how difficult it is as an Asian American actor working in this industry, and then put yourself in a position of power and continue to maintain the status quo.

Kinda feels like Ian Anthony Dale sold out, but hell, when you’re an actor I guess you need to take all the work you can get sometimes.

Briarios

Caan was in Gone in 60 Seconds, All three recent Oceans movies, and Entourage. That's in addition to being James Caan's son.

His resume is objectively bigger than Kim's and Park's.

Surprising then that during the upfronts promoting the show that they pushed Kim and Grace.

Surprising then that during the upfronts promoting the show that they pushed Kim and Grace.

Why would that be surprising? The network does not have to push the most well known actor.

Johnny Galecki had the biggest resume of the entire BBT cast but the network didn't push him over the rest of the cast. They pushed Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco. And they still paid Cuoco, Raunch, and even Bialik once she came on less than the male cast members.

The decisions the network makes on these things have their own internal logic.

Beefy

Watched one episode of this shit. When there was a guy in a robot suit that was indestructible. 😂

GavinUK86

i don't give a shit about subway product placement. whatever.

this feels weird though. replacing two poc because they wanted more money with 2 unknowns who are probably getting paid way less than the previous two even before they asked for a pay rise.

plus making ian anthony dale a regular is an even bigger slap in the face considering he's the husband of grace parks character lol.

weird situation all round.

Sinfamy

This has always been "that Subway sandwich show starring LOST guy and Battlestar Galactica girl" to me.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It's like NCIS LA for example. They are a team, all have storylines and all.
You think the others earn as much as LL Cool J and O'Donnel? They are the main characters.

... but Chris O'Donnell and LL Cool J are more famous than their costars and Scott Caan is most famous as the 7th billed cast member of the two worst seasons of Entourage and Alex O'Loughlin is most famous as being the lead in a TV show that lasted 5 episodes before being pulled so I don't think that's going to fly here.

i don't give a shit about subway product placement. whatever.

this feels weird though. replacing two poc because they wanted more money with 2 unknowns who are probably getting paid way less than the previous two even before they asked for a pay rise.

plus making ian anthony dale a regular is an even bigger slap in the face considering he's the husband of grace parks character lol.

weird situation all round.

The female character was already going to be introduced regardless, but because Grace bailed she is getting a large bump.

Top Bottom