• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cel Shaded Halo

Prine

Banned
old?

halo2004-09-1718-45-50-35.jpg

mini-halo2004-09-1805-33-11-26.jpg

mini-halo2004-09-1808-27-03-40.jpg

More here
http://files.halomods.com/viewtopic.php?t=15916&start=0

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I usually dislike cel shading, but this looks very interesting.

Downloading.

Edit: Just a texture pack. BOOOOHOOO.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
you know, if this was actually what halo 2 looked like.

today would be the funniest day in internet history.

ohamsie

Wow, I like it, game developers should start making cel shaded mode an unlockable cheat, like big head mode

sp0rsk said:
you know, if this was actually what halo 2 looked like.

today would be the funniest day in internet history.

Yeah, I almost feel a golden opportunity has been lost.

BTW folks, it FUN-shading, not cel-shading.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The Pelican in the second shot looks absolutely terrible, the rest of it looks pretty cool though.

That's because it's not really cell shaded. They just replaced the texutures with single color versions of the original ones, and added black borders. Just look at the first shot, its not "cel-shaded" because it has a normal shading gradient, like on the red wall, it slowly fades into the darker part. Real cel-shading is more than just "flat textures".

M3wThr33

Banned
Real cel shading renders the entire screen into a 2D area and groups similar colors together with a black border. It's fairly complicated.

This is just the textures on a 256-color solid color pallette with black outlines.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ImNotLikeThem said:
That's because it's not really cell shaded. They just replaced the texutures with single color versions of the original ones, and added black borders.
yeah, I figured as much.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
M3wThr33 said:
Real cel shading renders the entire screen into a 2D area and groups similar colors together with a black border. It's fairly complicated.

In all games you render to a 2D area ;).

I thought two of the basics methods for cell-shading were either flat-shading with a 1D texture used as your lightmap with black-outlines on the silhuoette or warm-to-cool shading with black-outlines.

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/celshading/

Top Bottom