• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cell chip nears completition ... tens of millions "ordered" for PS3

McFly

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/547/547726p1.html?fromint=1

http://www.totalvideogames.com/pages/articles/index.php?article_id=6382

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/today/frontpage/stories/fr091404s1.shtml

Sony's early demand for chips will be in the ''Tens of millions'' for Playstation 3, said Len Jelinek, analyst with iSuppli Corp., a market research firm in El Segundo, Calif. ''The kids are going to want them ... when it hits the market.''

Just send some of them my way. :)

Fredi

Falch

Is this any indication for a possible PS3 releasedate? I'm guessing Sony will launch PS3 in Japan around march/april 2006, with a fall release in the US/ Europe. Or am I way off?

McFly

If cell chips can compute 1TFlops (or something close to it), then it will change the world ... if not, then it will just be a fast chip that will not be easy to code.

Fredi

PS: The GPU will be developed by Sony, so there will not be an ATI (or someone else) announcement. ;)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
McFly said:
If cell chips can compute 1TFlops (or something close to it), then it will change the world ... if not, then it will just be a fast chip that will not be easy to code.

Fredi

PS: The GPU will be developed by Sony, so there will not be an ATI (or someone else) announcement. ;)

Toshiba seems to know a thing or two about GPU design.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
While this is all incredibly cool for the PS3 I'm actually far more interested in the implications of this in within the consumer processor market. I beleive Sony does plan on rolling this out to compete with the likes of AMD and Intel. I'd love for someone to confirm or deny that, I read it in a local newspaper.

GigaDrive

Banned
Playstation1's 'GPU' (which was not a real GPU, just called the GPU) was made by Sony, whereas the CPU was made mostly by LSI Logic.

Playstation2's GS was made mostly by Sony, afaik, whereas the Emotion Engine was mostly a Toshiba design.

Playstation3's GS3/Visualizer GPU (this one probably can be concidered a real GPU) is being made probably mostly by Sony, though likely with the help of Toshiba, IBM (because it is likely Cell-based, in part) and perhaps even others.

if ATI or Nvidia were to have had any role whatsoever in PS3's GPU, it would most likely not be a central role. only minor to moderate contributions, if any. it's still a Sony-designed GPU, at the end of the day.

GigaDrive

Banned
2004 tech. This console will be underpowered now using the logic of this forum.

ha! what are you talking about. it's 2001 tech since Cell was announced in 2001. actually, it's 1999 tech since Sony first started talking about PS3 in 1999 ;) ;) ;)

<joking, not being serious of course>

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
"It will be used in such areas as IBM brand computers, Sony game machines and Toshiba home appliances and could change the world."

OMG THE SONY SEGWAY!

GigaDrive

Banned
If cell chips can compute 1TFlops (or something close to it), then it will change the world

I am predicting 256~512 GFlops for the PS3 CPU and another
64~128 GFlops for the GPU, giving the PS3 a decent fraction of
a TFlop. of course, Sony could stretch these figures alot, into a
'Sony-TFlop(s)' processor. but they didn't really do any stretching
with PS2 afaik, unlike Nvidia whos 'nvflops' are almost silly.

of course, the PS4 will be a multi-TFlop machine in 2011-2012

GigaDrive

Banned
GameSpot

Toshiba president: CELL development nearly complete

Following reports from last month, Tadashi Okamura confirms that the CELL chip is nearing completion.
TOKYO--Following reports from last month that the CELL chip's designs have almost been wrapped, the Nikkei Journal reports that Toshiba president Tadashi Okamura has confirmed that the chip's development is near completion.

In development by Sony, IBM, and Toshiba since the spring of 2001, the CELL is a next-generation multimedia processor with capabilities to handle intensive graphics and high bandwidth communications. The CELL is expected to be used in Sony's next generation video game console succeeding the PlayStation 2, unofficially referred to as the PlayStation 3.

"[The CELL] will be used in IBM's computer, Sony's Game Machine, and Toshiba's digital consumer electronics amongst other things," comments Okamura to Nikkei. "It will change the world."

While specific details on the CELL remain elusive, the chip's commercial production is scheduled to begin from next year, which is coincidently when Toshiba will be celebrating its 130th anniversary. However, as part of its presentation at E3, Sony said graphics workstations using the CELL could be available as this winter.

Che

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
While this is all incredibly cool for the PS3 I'm actually far more interested in the implications of this in within the consumer processor market. I beleive Sony does plan on rolling this out to compete with the likes of AMD and Intel. I'd love for someone to confirm or deny that, I read it in a local newspaper.

That would be fun. I second that question to anyone who knows. Is there any chance?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Hey, even a butterfly flapping its wings changes the world. It's just a statement of the obvious.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"It's just a statement of the obvious."

it was Trip Hawkins who really went to the Zoo with his "more important than the printing press" statement regarding PS2.

It'll be interesting to see how Cell does - if it really takes off, i wonder if we'll see Windows for Cell ??

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DCharlie said:
it was Trip Hawkins who really went to the Zoo with his "more important than the printing press" statement regarding PS2.
Could definitely do without Kutaragi talking about jacking into the Matrix and cybercities this time around as well.

doncale

Banned
I expect no revolution (not talking about Nintendo's console) with Playstation3. I simply expect something like the leap we saw from PS1 to PS2. the PS3 will be a powerful videogame system, yes, but nothing more than an evolution. the PS3 will have its strong points and its weak points, like all videogame systems.

Top Bottom