• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cell Phone GAF - Thinking of ditching Sprint for Metro PCS

Edit: Mods please move this to off-topic or off-topic community, wherever appropriate. Sorry I clicked the wrong tab...

So I've been with Sprint since 2000. After 15 years, I've decided to shop around for no-contract phones. I'm not currently under a contract with Sprint, but in order to get a halfway decent plan I had to switch to one that doesn't offer discounted phones, even if you sign a 2-year contract extension. I'm currently still using my Samsung S3 that I bought in 2012.

My current plan comes out to $120/month after all the taxes and crap for two phones, so essentially $60/month per phone. It's unlimited everything, including data. That's not really a bad deal, since even the no-contract plans like Metro/Cricket/Boost are $50/month give or take for unlimited data plans, and they usually throttle you after a certain amount. I think Metro throttles after the first 4gb of data, but would be $5 per line cheaper with a family plan, so it would be $90/month. Theoretically that would save me $30/month (as long as there aren't any hidden 'taxes and fees' with Metro) as well as another benefit (I'll get to that later).

Questions:

1. Is anyone here on Metro?

2. If so, how is the signal quality/dropped calls/data speed (before throttling). It's on Tmobile's network, and I hear mixed opinions on this.

3. How are the phones on Metro, and can you take ANY phone that uses SIM cards and just stick a Metro SIM card into one? Like could I buy a used Windows phone or Android phone off ebay, toss in my Metro SIM card, and be off and running?

So the other benefit I mentioned kinda goes to point 3. My biggest beef right now with Sprint is my phone options are hugely limited if I want to keep a reasonably priced plan. If I want to pay upwards of $160/month for my two lines, I could have a plan where I can upgrade yearly on my main line and every 2 years on my wife's line. I have no interest in 'upgrading' (aka signing a contract extension for a marginally improved phone) every year or 2, but maybe every 3-4 years it would be nice to get a new phone without spending $600.

Now, I could just pick up one for $100-200 used off craigslist or ebay, but the problem is Sprint's options are extremely limited on the used market because their damn phones don't use SIM cards (which 90% of the used phones out there are, since they're from AT&T, Tmobile, or Verizon... you know, EVERYONE but Sprint it seems).

Since I refuse to switch to a more expensive plan and sign a contract extension every few years just so I can get a new phone once my current one starts to fart out (these things aren't built to last, and after 3-4 years of moderate use the smartphones I've seen start to fail/have malfunctions frequently enough to be a nuisance), I'm considering going to Metro. The biggest deciding factors will be a) decent service coverage and b) being able to use ANY phone that takes SIM cards, not just the ones offered by Metro.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

PrankT

I got out of the contract game a few years ago by switching to Virgin Mobile, but their service began to fail me so I switched to MetroPCS last month. A month isn't a long time to judge but so far everything had been great. I started off with the $70/mo family plan with 2gb throttle. The data service is very fast if you have a phone with 4g lte, though they throttle you significantly and I decided to upgrade to the $90 plan this month. The service depends on how close you are to T-Mobile antennas, so coverage will vary. I haven't had any dropped calls or issues to speak of yet. I bought the zte zmax phone for $100 and really enjoy the phone. It has a large screen that process apps quickly and has great battery life. I can watch tv on the phone with the sling tv app with no stutter or pixelation. Overall it's been pretty wonderful. The best part of no contracts is that if your service goes downhill you can move on to another company. Good luck!

Top Bottom