• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Code |OT| Whippin' Woks, Tossin' Tables

Tizoc

ChaosCodeBUYNAO_zps3337952c.png

Thanks to SAB CA for assistance in making the OT
INTRO_zpse19c0a56.png

Chaos Code is a fighting game by FK Digital originally released in Japanese arcades, and is now available on Japan, Asia/HK & US PSN in English, for HKD 95 or $11.99.
The game features 14 characters, and uses a 4 button system similar to SNK fighters. Gameplay-wise the game offers the options to have your character have either a run or dash and play with extra special or super moves. This adds some more depth to the game giving players the ability to play the characters in whatever way they want them to.
The game has various Gallery unlockables, but as of yet does not have an online mode, although FK Digital are working on implementing it into the game.

GAMEPLAY_zps6a6b2c34.png

Button scheme: A is Light Punch, B is Hard Punch, C is Light Kick, D is Hard Kick.

Chain combos: The game uses a chain combo system similar to other fighting games, and can be mixed up to go from High to Low and vice versa. Of course, chains can be canceled into special, EX or super moves.
Interestingly enough, any normal that connects at an opponent (on hit or block) is Super Jump Cancelable, but only if said Normal can be canceled into a Special move.

Running or Dashing: In addition to selecting extra moves, you can choose whether your character can run or dash. Some characters have special dashes or hops, for example, Cythlla and Celia get a Morrigan-like dash to the air if you choose dash. Some characters even have special attributes to their run, so try find your preferred play style.

Stun meter: Much like Street Fighter III, there is a bar beneath the health bar that fills up as you take damage. When it is full your opponent will be Dizzied leaving them open to a combo.

Extra skills: After selecting a character, the player will be asked to select an extra 2 moves; these can either be 2 extra Super moves, 2 extra Special moves or one of each.
This can drastically affect your character’s play style, so practice and see which extra moves suit your overall play style the best.​

TACTICS_zps09592a52.png

Guard Crush: Costs 1 stock of meter and is performed by pressing Forward+CD. This will break your opponent’s guard leaving them open to a combo.

Special into Super cancel: At the cost of 1 (addition) stock of meter, you can cancel a special move into a super move. In other words, to cancel a special move into a super you’ll need 2 stocks of meter.

Super moves: Each character has 2 types of Super moves: One which cost 1 stock of meter, and the other costs 3 stocks.

EX moves: EX moves cost 1/6th of a full meter or ½ of a stock, and require pressing both Punch or Kick buttons when performing the special move.

Tactical Guard: A parry mechanic performed by pressing C+D (both Kick buttons). Consumes meter and must be performed as an opponent’s attack is about to hit you. Can be performed in the air, but does not work on projectiles.

Chaos Shift: Supers in Chaos Code can be canceled in order to continue a combo or to save yourself if your super is blocked. Chaos Shift costs 1 stock, and is performed by pressing A+B during a super, which will put you into a Neutral position. You can also hold Forward+AB to lunge forward after CSing.

Exceed Chaos: Pressing B+C while the meter is full will cause it to start depleting. During this period your health will slowly regenerate, all normals that connect on your opponent become cancelable, and you can perform Supers, Chaos Shifts and EX moves infinitely until the gauge empties. Once EC mode ends, you won’t be able to gain meter for a short period of time.​

CHARACTERS_zps3cc606b6.png

The game features 14 characters each with their unique play style-
Hikaru: An agent of the Earth Union, who was assigned to eliminate Kagari and secure the Chaos Code.
Bravo Peperonicine: The 3rd and long lost of the Mario Bros. He chose to take up cooking and accidentally enters the Chaos Code tournament. Non the less he won’t hesitate to have his cooking sampled even by his beaten up opponents.
Cthylla: Cthulhu’s daughter who enjoys ‘playing’ with humans. She learns of the Chaos Code and seeks to use its power.
MG Hikaru: Hikaru driven insane upon finally getting a limited edition figurine.
Hermes: An agent of ‘Kurenai’ who oppose the Earth Union who specializes in magic and summoning spirits.
Kagari: Another agent of ‘Kurenai’ who holds a grudge against the Earth Union for the death of her parents.
Kudlak: Kudlak comes from a long line of Magic users, and seeks to revive the reputation of his predecessors.
Cait & Sith: Twins who are looking for a cure for their ill father.
Catherine: Real name Heihachi Katori, he is a mangaka whose main demographic are girls. He enters the tournament to get new ideas for his next manga.
Celia: A high school girl who is into gothic-lolita fasion, she enters the tournament to find her father.
Celia II Kai: A reconstructed android given orders to retrieve or destroy any data retaining to the Chaos Code.
Cerberus: He seeks the Chaos Code in hopes of finding a cure for his friend.
Rui: Rui is hunting down a valuable artifact that was taken from her home town.
Vein: Growing up with a harsh childhood due in part to the Earth Union’s atrocities, he is fueled by hate for the world that showed him sorrow.​

RESOURCES_zpsafb477bd.png

Mizuumi Chaos Code wiki
Official English website
High level Chaos Code matches from Japan
List of changes done to the game from previous version(s)

Tizoc

As much as I dislike the Engrish, it tends to deliver-
"I believe this 'MOE' is the path to world peace!'- MG Hikaru

MG Hikaru doesn't look like much of a combo machine but I like his and regular Hikaru's super moves.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Was glad to see this finally come out in the U.S., but with no online play, it's going to fade away quickly.

From what me and my brother played on Tuesday, I think this game is pretty sweet. I'mmprobably just going to use Hikaru and maybe dabble at bit in Rui. Hopefully they can actually deliver on a netplay patch cuz I really don't have many people to play this with locally.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Glad to see the OT came together well! I'm bias though, so I won't say anything more about it! Wonder if we should post a link to this thread on the Chaos Code Facebook Page?

-------
I'm having a bit of fun playing a fighters STORY mode for the first time in a little while. I think it's all because of the characters, in this case, and art. Their motivations and general personality are just a BIT hard to read, compared to most fighters, where everything is blatantly obvious from the get-go.

I think I like every character when I play them, lol. The customizable specials and supers help a lot; Even if a character type isn't one I'd normally play, I can find SOMETHING that I enjoy using, or that hints at a play-style that I like. And thinking of ways to turn those custom (and preset) moves into new combos in always fun.

Was glad to see this finally come out in the U.S., but with no online play, it's going to fade away quickly.

It's really a shame that online is so vital to the life of fighters now. I still never feel like it SHOULD be, not in the least. I always think local first, online a distant second for them... even though my local variety has dried up much, since the days where I used to cart system + games to different friends homes...

Anyway, this game is just fun, and I could see a lot of people being able to get into the game (before Cait & Sith and Kagari destroy all newbies with near-infinites, anyway!), and enjoy it in many different ways. The per-character customization feels like what Gems TRIED to do in SF X Tekken, and reminds me of the times games like Critical Blow tried similar systems in the past...

With all the developers and such that frequent GAF, I always find it odd we have so few people who can really push a fighter to the crowds... like tourney organizers or decent-size streamers.

For the first time in my life I am wishing I had a PS3. Have fun playing a chef putting noobs into a giant skillet because damn I know I would be.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, looking over that change list on Dustloop, it appears what we have here on PSN isn't updated as much as the arcade release.

From their conversation there, I have a hard time telling if the Asia/HK versions are the same, or not.

At any rate, a lot of the crazy I've seen in videos isn't in this version yet, such as Kagari being able to toss an Air Shuriken after her air throw, allowing enough hitstun for her to loop into another air combo -> Air throw -> Shuriken.

That's a crazy meaty update, too; Some characters get entirely new EX moves, normal strength versions of moves change, hit properties changes on old moves... sounds like it's full of a lot of worthwhile, interesting stuff.

If we get that update along with netplay, I'll be quite happy.

Been having a great time with this. Inputs are very lenient and some of the characters are pretty unique (the chef, cosplayer, brother and sister). Very nice surprise.

branny

It's a shame some people are writing off this game because of its animation and/or lack of netcode at the moment. I think its roster alone makes it worth a look. :(

Catherine is conceptually like the Athena, May Lee, and Ash Crimson hybrid I always wanted, lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If there's any place I have issue with the in-gameplay sprites, it's sometimes on the hands. They generally look solid, but there are frames / poses where detail is lost, and it looks like you have more of a mitten rather than a hand.

The facial animations though (especially on Celia) are great. Wonderfully exaggerated looks on the characters faces at times; it's like a more fun version of Capcom's Alpha / Darkstalkers stuff in that respect.

This kind of thing totally disappears when looking at the Ending art and such, however; great stuff all around. I swear some of these B endings could very well be A's... I went in thinking they'd be very throw-away and feeling like after-thoughts, but I actually think I like some of them more than the A's...

Every time I play, I end up stopping before I get my feel of everyone I want to play! They're all quite enjoyable...

I wonder if FK Digital would let Cthylla appear in a Cthuluhu Saves the World sequel... lol.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wohoo, Double post! It's like the UNiB Thread! ;-/

Siliconera Posted another Interview with FK Digital: From Super Cosplay Wars Ultra to Chaos Code: The Story of FK Digital

They really are a team of about 10 people, lol. 4 years of development, and they wanted to work on the Xbox 360 at first. They contribute this to the possibility that they just naturally like to work on Windows-based systems, lol. But SCE-Asia was helpful for them. Kinda sad to hear it took them a month to learn how to power-on the PS3 Devkit, lol.

Glad to see they seem to dream about creating fighters... Wonder how long it'd take them to make another game? I'd personally love to see THIS one continue... Make DLC FK, I'll gladly buy it, especially if after the online patch!

Tizoc

Have they offered any updates on adding an online mode to the game?
Wonder if they can get in touch with say the Skullgirls dev for tips or assistance in getting online added to the game...

Funnily enough, CvSNK 2 was among the top selling PS2 classics last week which didn't have online, but CvSNK 2 has had a following, a recognizable cast, and for the most part a simple system easy to get into.

Though personally speaking, CC is easy to get into as well, what with the easy and effective combo system.

5amshift

Banned
Got this game from Arc and I like it for sure. Trying to get used to the game of course but just at a slow rate.

Tizoc

It's a shame some people are writing off this game because of its animation and/or lack of netcode at the moment. I think its roster alone makes it worth a look. :(

Catherine is conceptually like the Athena, May Lee, and Ash Crimson hybrid I always wanted, lol.

Overall animation is...better than I thought!
Chaos Code 2 is gonna be made using Ubi Art, MG Hikaru becomes a newly designed character who is an Otaku+Kung fu nut & there will be a giant muscular luchador character who speaks broken spanish

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Here's a special treat: 13 videos of Direct Feed Matches from The Fall Classic Tournament for the game!: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEQHfcpwJNNoMjo5-ntSXPDQxSqTB5eMO

Unfortunately, their sound recording was messed up due to technical difficulties, so the matches are silent. But it's nice to see what US competition looks like after only a few weeks of practice!

==

SRK.Com did an interview with Micky Lin the other day, the game's director: http://shoryuken.com/2013/10/01/int...ckey-lin-on-making-a-modern-2d-fighting-game/

Patrick Miller: Is FK Digital a new development studio? How large is your team, and what other games have you worked on?

Mickey Lin: We are originally from Sydney, Australia, we are about 6 years old, and we started working on Chaos Code as our first major project from Sydney for the first 2 years. As you can see, Chaos Code’s art styles are targeted at the Asia region, but we found that it is hard to do it in Australia since the artists’ style are more like those western comics, so we decided to move to Taiwan to continue our project. Also, I was born in Taiwan, so we chose Taiwan as our second base.

When we first started in Sydney, we only had 5 staff members, including me and my 2 brothers, and after we moved to Taiwan we had about 7 employees. For myself, I really feel it is amazing that we only had that many people to make such a big project like Chaos Code! Now we have 13 employees.

==

Here's HOURS of Gameplay (Like an hour and a half each!) from Arcade A-Cho, using the Nesica Updated version of the game (different from Console, apparently still undergoing balance concerns):

Vids from Sept 17th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydDgH-bPGcs - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW7mKSHw0nc

Vid from Oct 1st: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQW5kp8FXlg

==

Lastly, here's a Catherine Combo Movie from a member of Dustloop!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olK7SeTYMPU

==

As for me, I'm still playing the game with local VS almost Daily! The Hermes VS Kudlak Sin matches have gotten crazy.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
From their Facebook Page:

Now it is November. 2013 will soon come to an end. There's no worldwide holidays for us to celebrate until Xmas.

I took a picture of our staff working hard. It seems we have been working on something special~! It looks similar to the style of one of our games, I wonder which?

I am so envious that the US celebrates Thanksgiving during this time of the year~! But for now, the FKD staff will continue work hard until the end of next month...

1471237_513685402060138_1078725644_n.jpg

They also Updated the English site a few weeks back.

cj_iwakura

Just finished this since it's free on the J-PSN. Great music, gorgeous backgrounds. Shame there's no online. Rui's the best. Watashi no kachi!

I could use a new beu while waiting for chronophantasma eu edition, but lack of netcode makes this game dead for me.
I have no friends interested in gaming Milan (nearest is a group that i play LOL with, but i meet them once a month more or less). Things were different for me in southern Italy, but since i moved here 3 years ago i didn't manage to get into group of gamers.. Hence for me net play for beu is a must :/
Sure i suppose there must be ppl playing games too in Milan, but given how i'm earning my 30 y/o tomorrow, you can easily guess that i'm outside the typical (young) gamers bracket that is the only One thriving in Italy

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
We know they're working on net code, and the updates they've given to games like Mononoke Slash on PSM prove that they'll updates games, even if it's not something bigger companies would ever dream to do. It just seems to take a while, because they're pretty small.

Also, the arcade game still gets updates last I heard, so keeping Chaos Code alive and active is a good idea.

I actually have fun playing this game as a SP experience, too, personally. Survival is decent, and the 2 endings per character in arcade mode are both worth seeing. It's not bursting at the seams with stuff like some modern fighters, but the SP content is all worth seeing, which is more than I can say for others.

cj_iwakura

We know they're working on net code, and the updates they've given to games like Mononoke Slash on PSM prove that they'll updates games, even if it's not something bigger companies would ever dream to do. It just seems to take a while, because they're pretty small.

Also, the arcade game still gets updates last I heard, so keeping Chaos Code alive and active is a good idea.

I actually have fun playing this game as a SP experience, too, personally. Survival is decent, and the 2 endings per character in arcade mode are both worth seeing. It's not bursting at the seams with stuff like some modern fighters, but the SP content is all worth seeing, which is more than I can say for others.

It seems like a solid 1P-2P game, no complaints, but they could have added more character interaction in story mode, at least like SFIV with rivals and such.

How is the other ending gotten?

Tizoc

It seems like a solid 1P-2P game, no complaints, but they could have added more character interaction in story mode, at least like SFIV with rivals and such.

How is the other ending gotten?

From the Chaos Code wiki:
How do I get Ending B anyway?
Finish the first three fights of arcade mode with super cancels, and you will fight your rival after stage 3. As long as you complete arcade mode successfully beyond this point, you will get ending B.
So if u don't do the above you will get Ending A.

Tizoc

Mega mega slim.
Ya know what I should tweet Devolver to publish the game on Steam, and help with it getting online....

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Sounds more like a job for Iron Galaxy really, with their close ties with GGPO.

I am sad we have not heard much sine the pics of ps3 lobbies. I'd love to see them make XB1 and PS4 ports, and I think it's a shame more indie-level fighters didn't release on new consoles before MKX and DOA5:LR releases. Would have been a perfect time to get small, dedicated fanbases worldwide.

Looking at their facebook comments, they submitted the first patch for US CC prior to Nov 27th 2014, and said it was on the way... anyone know if that made it? And then they confirmed they still have console plans... and that's pretty much it.

i-Jest

So I downloaded this a while ago but started playing recently. First character played was Vein. I love his design and gameplay. Still learning him before I pick up someone else.

Tizoc

So I downloaded this a while ago but started playing recently. First character played was Vein. I love his design and gameplay. Still learning him before I pick up someone else.

Hope you enjoy it =)
It has a neat combo system and the engrish makes the arcade mode fun to play through with other characters.

Thores

A note to anyone that doesn't have this yet:

This game is currently $3 on PSN for the next couple days. If you like fighting games at all it is absolutely worth that price.

The multiplayer is local only, but the single player content is fun, and come on. 14 fun and creative characters for less than the price of a burrito.

Mr. X

Really hoping the latest version in arcades gets to console or steam. Picked up on psn during the sale.

i-Jest

Really hoping the latest version in arcades gets to console or steam. Picked up on psn during the sale.

It's my understanding the devs want to get the game out to most, if not all, regions before they do a major patch for the console release. I don't know how well they've progressed on that front but the team is small so I'm not expecting anything major for a while.

Top Bottom