• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chaos Reborn (new game from the creator of X-COM) releases October 26

hemtae

From the new kickstarter update

I am pleased to announce that we will officially be launching version 1.0 of Chaos Reborn on 26th October. It has been an intensive year and a half of development, but we have a great game ready to ship. There are a few features promised in the Kickstarter which are not yet present. Most significantly the demigod and god roles. We will be adding these features in the first 2 months after release and we will continue to support the game with regular updates, including new content such as additional spells and game modes. Our version 1.0 release will be focussed on new players, so there will be an extensive tutorial and an upgraded interface. The Wizard Lord and Wizard King roles will be working at launch, and you will find new realms to explore as the kings create them.

For existing players, the game accounts will be reset and you will be able to build your wizard from scratch along with many new players.

I must find time to test this, it looks really good. Sounds like Mr. Gollop has run a very good kickstarter campaign and early access period.

Quoting myself from another thread to add more context:

Chaos Reborn. It's being developed by the creator of the original X-COM. It's on Early Access now:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/319050/

ck9c6VK.jpg

o8KzvA3.jpg

A new test version was released yesterday (it will be available for everybody next week) and the game is already soooooo good... the new single player mode looks very promising: you enter a realm and move on a map, where you come accross random events, shops, mercenaries and other stuff. I've posted lots of screenshots on my Steam page:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/orakio...westfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

Single player mode (or "Realms", as they call it) is described in this page on the official website:

http://www.chaos-reborn.com/realms

When the game was kickstarted I wasn't very interested, because I'm not into online games. However, when the single player mode was announced I was hooked. It's pretty complex and it looks like they are working really hard on it.

Yes, Realms were just added, but I'm surprised by how solid it already is. I'm not sure about the release date, but if it gets delayed, it will probably be worth it.

Graphics keep getting better with each new version. It's looking pretty close to the amazing concept art.

mclem

New game from the creator of X-Com? I prefer to think of it as a new game from the creator of Chaos :)

Memory

Awesome been waiting for this to be completed. I'm sure when i checked on this last month and they were only at version 0.46 or something so I didn't expect it to come out so soon.

Raytow

So the game released yesterday, offical launch is today no OT, no hype for one of the best strategy games released this year? hell this decade.

So the game released yesterday, offical launch is today no OT, no hype for one of the best strategy games released this year? hell this decade.

AAA gaemz are the real gaemz.

But seriously, gameplay looks solid and tactics look have some depth as well. However, if there's one thing that put me away from this game, it's the lack of characters (and story?). Looks like I'm gonna recruit and command some creatures in battles, just like soldiers in X-Com games. It's also the reason why I couldn't get into X-Com games. I'm not saying they're bad games, it's just my preferences.

Raytow

AAA gaemz are the real gaemz.

But seriously, gameplay looks solid and tactics look have some depth as well. However, if there's one thing that put me away from this game, it's the lack of characters (and story?). Looks like I'm gonna recruit and command some creatures in battles, just like soldiers in X-Com games. It's also the reason why I couldn't get into X-Com games. I'm not saying they're bad games, it's just my preferences.
Oh yeah, this is pretty much PvP, with some AI combatants in form of realms, which can be very good to downright mediocre depending on how much effort the creator makes, also I suck at making OT, so rather not would be a disservice to the game ;_;
I'm a Lord but rather finalize my talisman loadout before protecting realms, will post name when I do.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Oh yeah, this is pretty much PvP, with some AI combatants in form of realms, which can be very good to downright mediocre depending on how much effort the creator makes, also I suck at making OT, so rather not would be a disservice to the game ;_;
I'm a Lord but rather finalize my talisman loadout before protecting realms, will post name when I do.

oh this is a multiplayer game? well you just killed any interest I had in it :/

I have no interest in multiplayer games, either. But I will throw money at everything Julian Gollop makes. He's the god of strategy game crators.

Magic & Mayhem was kinda shit wasn't it?

I've been browsing Steam reviews Chaos Reborn. Every negative review mentions that the gameplay relies too much on luck instead of strategy/skill.

Patrick S.

Banned

I've been browsing Steam reviews Chaos Reborn. Every negative review mentions that the gameplay relies too much on luck instead of strategy/skill.

I liked it. But granted, I have a lot of goodwill for Gollop's games.

epmode

Straight success/fail percentages seem to be Gollop's thing. I think it works in X-COM since that game's more about crisis management over a long campaign than any one particular battle. I haven't played Chaos Reborn enough to know how well it works here.

Top Bottom