• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cheerleaders suspended for hazing, smeared peanut butter on student w/ peanut allergy

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Cheerleaders suspended for hazing incident in Utah high school:

(05-16) 18:32 PDT Ogden, Utah (AP) -- Authorities are investigating a hazing incident at a Utah high school in which a student with a peanut allergy was smeared with peanut butter.

Ogden School District spokeswoman Donna Corby says nine cheerleaders at Ogden High School have been suspended after coating incoming squad members with condiments.

Corby says girls joining the squad were taken to a park May 4, supposedly to celebrate earning a spot as a cheerleader. Instead, senior cheerleaders blindfolded them and told them to do push-ups and sit-ups.

Corby says ketchup, mustard, peanut butter and pickle juice were thrown at the girls. The girls were then told to strip down to their underwear to get sprayed off.

Corby says the girl with the peanut allergy suffered a minor reaction.

The district's investigation is ongoing.

One of the cheerleaders responds:

OGDEN, Utah (ABC 4 News) - A group of Ogden cheerleaders is suspended after a case of high school hazing. One of the suspended cheerleaders spoke exclusively with ABC 4 Reporter Brian Carlson.

Ogden cheerleader Hailey Lawrence said she understands why people might be upset about the hazing with her cheer squad, but she thinks this situation has been blown out of proportion.

Lawrence knows at lot of students at Ogden are talking about it.

“They were harassing all of the newcomers,” said a sophomore student.

“It makes you feel like you don’t want to try out for anything any more,” said another sophomore.

“I don’t think it’s right,” said a senior student.

But Lawrence said it’s not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

“It was dumb,” said Hailey Lawrence, Ogden High School Cheerleader.

Lawrence is one of nine senior Ogden cheerleaders suspended for hazing the girls who plan to be cheerleaders next year. She said she didn’t participate in the hazing but she watched as her fellow seniors on the squad blindfolded the new girls at Forest Green Park, and forced them to do cheers while everyone threw things like ketchup mustard and vinegar at them.

Lawrence said the girls who were hazed knew beforehand this was what the squad was going to do.

“Did you think what they were doing was okay?” asked Carlson.

“No, I felt uncomfortable watching it,” Lawrence said.

“Why didn’t you do anything to stop it then?” Carlson replied.

“Because it wouldn’t have mattered,” she said. “I honestly know it wouldn’t have made any difference. I talked to the girls beforehand that I don’t think we should do this, and they said ‘It’s tradition. It’s fine.’ They’re going to do what they want to do.”

It’s not something the Ogden School District takes lightly.

“We will always think hazing is an inappropriate and unacceptable behavior,” said Donna Corby, Ogden School District Spokesperson.

Administrators suspended Lawrence for two days, and the other girls for three days which included missing the Senior Prom.

Administrators warn any future cheerleaders who do the same thing, will receive the same punishment.

“Zero tolerance, that’s a board approved policy,” said Corby.

Now looking back, Lawrence believes this hazing tradition is something cheerleaders at Ogden High School should quit.

“There’s probably a better way,” Lawrence said.

Lawrence concedes that this particular time there was a lot swearing and yelling, and it was too much for her.

I went to this high school. I don't remember any cheerleading hazing back then.

"Corby says ketchup, mustard, peanut butter and pickle juice were thrown at the girls. The girls were then told to strip down to their underwear to get sprayed off." - Hot.

soultron

Banned
Is there even any evidence that the cheerleaders were aware of the peanut allergy?

They probably should've omitted such a substance (because it's a common allergy) when they were raiding their parents' fridges for humiliation condiments.

loosus

Banned
The news to me is that smearing peanut butter is a weapon against some people. It makes sense, but I never thought of it like that.

Ezalc

Wow this is incredibly tame compared to some of the hazing stories I've heard happening around here. Also I didn't think that you could set off a peanut allergy through contact I thought you had to actually eat it to suffer from a reaction, interesting.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
They probably should've omitted such a substance (because it's a common allergy) when they were raiding their parents' fridges for humiliation condiments.

No, they knew what they were doing when they pulled that peanut butter from the pantry. That shit was pre-meditated.

Any videos of the event? ;)

I'm sure there are sites that cater to this particular sort of video...

JonnyBrad

If they knew about the allergy they're scumbags. It can be deadly. I have seen my girlfriend react before and it is not nice.

Other than that it just sounds like a typical moronic prank.

jaxword

This is unfair as hell.

I have to pay 600 bucks every Friday at Club 99 to wear a blindfold and have girls dressed in cheerleader costumes rub peanut butter all over me, and now they're doing it for free?

This world is so corrupt.

Diablos

If they knew about the allergy beforehand or while in the process of doing that, then they deserve everything they get.

Also, activities where you are told to get blindfolded and get humiliated are fucking ridiculous. People are dumb for submitting to that.

Even if they knew she had a peanut allergy, they could have easily been ignorant to how serious it can be. I mean, the idea that smearing peanut butter on someone's skin could severely harm or even kill them is just bizarre to think about.

Phoenix

Even if they knew she had a peanut allergy, they could have easily been ignorant to how serious it can be. I mean, the idea that smearing peanut butter on someone's skin could severely harm or even kill them is just bizarre to think about.

Ignorance of the consequences has never really been deemed a defense for reckless behavior. If you knew that it was harmful at all you didn't have to know that it would kill her. If they would have known about the allergy, performed this act, and she would have died - they'd be arrested for murder for certain.

Ignorance of the consequences has never really been deemed a defense for reckless behavior. If you knew that it was harmful at all you didn't have to know that it would kill her. If they would have known about the allergy, performed this act, and she would have died - they'd be arrested for murder for certain.
Is it really "attempted murder" though if they weren't, you know, attempting murder?

Cheerleading.

High school.

Teenagers.

Idiots.

polls_bigstockphoto_hammer_striking_nail_w_sparks_333329_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Cool prank.

It's nice to know that as I get older, high school cheerleader hazing stays the same age.

Famassu

Reminds me of that Freaks & Geeks episode, sadly this probably doesn't have the kind of ending that the particular episode had...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom