• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago-GAF OT of Not the Second City, the BEST damn city.

OK so now that I know of the best lobster roll places to try, is there any Hawaiian place better than Aloha Eats? Sorry for all the food stuff, but there's just so many things I want to eat now that I'm in Chicago and so little time to try them all. I could eat out every day and still not hit all the things I want to try. Well, not before I'd run out of money, anyway.

To be honest? Not really. Aloha Eats is the best bang for your buck and relatively authentic. Roy's is upscale but the one in Chicago is nothing super special. There's a bunch of poke places here now (Aloha Poke, Firefin Poke) but I've been disappointed in every single one. Part of it may be that I have relatives in Hawaii and go fairly often, but even still the poke places tend to be less about the poke and more a salad/bowl with some poke in it. Honestly, the best poke I've had in Chicago is the one I buy at Costco on the weekends.

Erheller

This thread is broken. It says there's a new post by Viewt in my subscriptions page but I don't see it and it isn't marked as read. I only see it now when I clicked reply. Maybe this will fix it?

Those look pretty good though.

Have you tried clearing your cache?

ToD_

To be honest? Not really. Aloha Eats is the best bang for your buck and relatively authentic. Roy's is upscale but the one in Chicago is nothing super special. There's a bunch of poke places here now (Aloha Poke, Firefin Poke) but I've been disappointed in every single one. Part of it may be that I have relatives in Hawaii and go fairly often, but even still the poke places tend to be less about the poke and more a salad/bowl with some poke in it. Honestly, the best poke I've had in Chicago is the one I buy at Costco on the weekends.

I have only tried Aloha Poke and Firefin Poke. I actually quite enjoyed Aloha. I have no idea what authentic poke would be like, however, so I just enjoyed the dishes for what they were. The ingredients were fresh and it tasted good, but I have no frame of reference. I guess I'll have to try Aloha Eats some day.

For what it's worth, I also experienced that same issue with this thread yesterday.

I have only tried Aloha Poke and Firefin Poke. I actually quite enjoyed Aloha. I have no idea what authentic poke would be like, however, so I just enjoyed the dishes for what they were. The ingredients were fresh and it tasted good, but I have no frame of reference. I guess I'll have to try Aloha Eats some day.
To be fair, I didn't think it was horrible by any means, but just a disappointment for me. Poke IMO is at its best when the flavor of the fish is allowed to shine. There's a ton of different pokes but specificaly for Ahi Poke (the most popular variety) the marinade for me is better when it complements the subtlety of the fish, not overpowers it: a little bit of sesame, soy, maybe some mild wasabi, algae, kukui, salt and scallions. The ones I've tried here, have been overpowered by the dressing plus all the other ingredients they throw on there. It just overshadows the natural flavors where all I was tasting was the vinaigrette, or greens or whatever.

If you get a chance (and have a membership) I would recommend going to Costco on a Saturday morning. It's hit or miss whether they have fresh poke (doesn't come in every weekend) but if they do, it's the best available in the city. Eat it straight up... no added dressings, no pineapple or other sauces besides the marinade it came in.

Viewt

So my girlfriend and I did our orientation/training to start volunteering at Center on Halstead on Saturday. If any of you are interested, I'd certainly recommend it. It takes like 4 hours total, so it's not a massive commitment. It's mostly just learning the history of the building, what the various facilities are, and some sensitivity training that's really just common sense stuff. I think the next orientation is in January if anyone's up for it.

Speaking of volunteering, there's also gonna be a Unity Platform march tomorrow afternoon at 5PM. If you can make it, it's going to start at Federal Plaza and go up to the Thompson Center. It's a great way to show solidarity with a ton of great organizations. Full list:

ACLU of Illinois, Access Living, American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois, Community United, Equality Illinois, Illinois Coalition for Immigrant and Refugee Rights, Illinois Collaboration on Youth, Illinois Safe Schools Alliance, Inner City Muslim Action Network, Jewish Council on Urban Affairs, Korean American Resource and Cultural Center, Planned Parenthood of Illinois, Pride Action Tank, South Asian American Policy and Research Institute, Target Area Development Corp,United Congress of Community and Religious, WestSide Health Authority

Kisaya

If any of you need plans for NYE, me and Sai-kun are throwing a thing at our place in Andersonville. PM me if you're interested with your FB details so I can invite you to the event!

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Gonna spend the Christmas break with my family in Chicago, and I'm excited. Haven't been there since April, so I'm due. Excited, if there's a gaf gathering in the next two weeks I'll try to attend.

Hey Chicago-GAF. It's cold as fuck today. Recently I got some "heattech" shirt and pants that I wear under my normal clothes. With these and my new coat, I can barely tell. My commute involves a little more than 1 mile of walking to and from the train stations but it wasn't that bad at all.

If any of you need plans for NYE, me and Sai-kun are throwing a thing at our place in Andersonville. PM me if you're interested with your FB details so I can invite you to the event!

This sounds interesting. Typically my wife and I spend New Years playing Super Mario World but this might be a nice change of pace. I'll send you my details and if my wife decides that she wants to go out we'll come.

ToD_

I'm planning on keeping NYE fairly low key this year. My girlfriend and I will be hosting dinner for a group of friends. Probably less than 10 people. That said, I live in Andersonville, so I could potentially step away for some time to say hi to my fellow NeoGAFfers.

yeah come hang out. we got a fat cat!!!

Oh! Now I HAVE to go.

Hey Chicago-GAF. It's cold as fuck today. Recently I got some "heattech" shirt and pants that I wear under my normal clothes. With these and my new coat, I can barely tell. My commute involves a little more than 1 mile of walking to and from the train stations but it wasn't that bad at all.

This sounds interesting. Typically my wife and I spend New Years playing Super Mario World but this might be a nice change of pace. I'll send you my details and if my wife decides that she wants to go out we'll come.

A good coat and some of that Uniqlo stuff can make all the difference.

I have to try to get my girlfriend to play some games one day. I've got this cool/modest retro setup with a BVM and RGB modded SNES. It looks good, and the games are timeless. What's not to like?

Kisaya

I'm planning on keeping NYE fairly low key this year. My girlfriend and I will be hosting dinner for a group of friends. Probably less than 10 people. That said, I live in Andersonville, so I could potentially step away for some time to say hi to my fellow NeoGAFfers.

Oh! Now I HAVE to go.

I feel you on the low key celebrating. We only decided on throwing something because our friends asked and wanted to all get together. If you decide to stop by, shoot me a PM! :)

Viewt

Somebody tagged this snowman and I can't decide if that's hilarious or sad.

vo9X7fy.jpg

I was walking home last night around 11p, when it was in the negatives. The wind wasn't blowing so it wasn't terrible (note: it was still fucking cold, and it was a short walk. my nose hairs were freezing). lousy fucking wind

I wish it were colder. I miss below zero (F) temps. Someone, make it get blistering cold again, please. Why did I move to Chicago just to feel moderately warm in my light jacket?

Side note, y'all ready for that $0.07/bag tax at retailers kicking in around February? Get those re-usable bags ready!

We have several reusable bags but always decide to go grocery shopping when we are already out doing stuff and aren't carrying them.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
An hour and a half to get into the Shedd, 3 hours to get into Willis Tower. Absolute worst time ever to visit these places.

Yep. Love the cold weather just missing the snow. I know it gets everyone else down, but I'll take single digit weather rather than 90 degree weather with massive humidity any day of the year.

ToD_

Happy New Year, Chicago-GAF!

I feel you on the low key celebrating. We only decided on throwing something because our friends asked and wanted to all get together. If you decide to stop by, shoot me a PM! :)

I appreciate the invite. It turns out hosting a party is a time-consuming affair. I did not make it out of the apartment at all!

Hopefully we can get some sort of meetup going this year. That should be the Chicago-GAF New Year's resolution.

jwk94

Chicago GAF, I need your help apartment hunting. I have an important interview with a company tomorrow and if I get the job, I have no idea how to apartment hunt in Chicago. It's located near the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

Rent budget: Max of $2K/month (would like to include utilities, but that's not necessary)
I'd prefer a 1 bedroom, but studio is ok too if it's not too small.

I'm also open to living outside of chicago, as long as the commute won't be too bad. Thanks, Chicago GAF.

Chicago GAF, I need your help apartment hunting. I have an important interview with a company tomorrow and if I get the job, I have no idea how to job hunt in Chicago. It's located near the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

Rent budget: Max of $2K/month (would like to include utilities, but that's not necessary)

I'm also open to living outside of chicago, as long as the commute won't be too bad. Thanks, Chicago GAF.

I work a couple blocks from there and have an apartment of similar budget (maybe we work for the same company :)??)

For that budget, you have a LOT of options. I live in a 3-bedroom. I live a bit out on the brown line though.

Most of my coworkers who were hired at the same time live in Lakeview, Lincoln Park or just outside of the loop. They almost all have one or two bedroom places that cost between 1500 and 2k. You can find a lot of places on Domu and Padmapper.

Good luck! Most people aren't looking for places this time of year because it's the 9th circle of hell here. One of my coworkers is weird and successfully negotiated his rent down because it was end of season. You might want to try that if you're up to it.

I don't know who he/she is. Should I be concerned?

Anyone go to the farewell speech tonight? My ass fled as far away from there as possible to avoid the madhouse. I was home by 4 PM today after getting a haircut along the way.

I worked from home today and didn't even realize it was going on until about 6.

Congratulations. When do you start?

Thanks! I start March 13th. Debating whether I want to move in with 2 of my friends or live alone. Probably gonna start apartment hunting around Lakeview.

we didn't ask for this

It's cool I'll just hang out in my apartment playing overwatch so you dont have to see this <-

EDIT: I realized this post makes no sense on mobile. the arrow is supposed to be pointing at my ugly real pic avatar.

SOME-MIST

So... vets in the city are outrageously priced. I haven't had a pet in the city until late last year - we ended up getting two kittens. I received some quotes on spaying/neutering, and most places are quoting $300-500 per cat. I don't remember it being anywhere close to that expensive in the suburbs.

Probably gonna end up at the humane society since they're the best priced - even though they only do surgeries on Thursdays. And possibly thinking of vetco for the 2nd round of shots beforehand. Anyone have any good suggestions?

We're also pricing out places near O'hare since it's only a 20 minute drive from Hermosa.

(the two cuties) - Bev and Arnold

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Chicago GAF, I need your help apartment hunting. I have an important interview with a company tomorrow and if I get the job, I have no idea how to apartment hunt in Chicago. It's located near the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

2k a month is easy. I've got an amazing spacious one bedroom in Ravenswood for $1125

If you want to be close to work, you can find a 1 bedroom/studio in South Loop or West Loop for less than 2K pretty comfortably.

I have to go into work around 10-11 PM for one hour every night this week. Been driving from Lakeview down to my work near Northwestern and man, the drive at night is a thing of beauty. Cruising on LSD at night is seriously peaceful; no traffic at all.

Only problem for me is that the only free parking near my work is at midnight. So, I have to pay $4/hr meter parking every night. Gotta be something better than that out there... I could also take the L, but my 15 minute drive would turn it on an hour commute due to the reduced train schedule and walking distance.

Sorry, this point is mostly pointless.

I appreciated it.

Not sure what you can do about the parking deal.

Viewt

I have to go into work around 10-11 PM for one hour every night this week. Been driving from Lakeview down to my work near Northwestern and man, the drive at night is a thing of beauty. Cruising on LSD at night is seriously peaceful; no traffic at all.

Only problem for me is that the only free parking near my work is at midnight. So, I have to pay $4/hr meter parking every night. Gotta be something better than that out there... I could also take the L, but my 15 minute drive would turn it on an hour commute due to the reduced train schedule and walking distance.

Sorry, this point is mostly pointless.

Yeah, Lakeshore at night is pretty gorgeous, and since that area is mostly commercial, it's pretty quiet after like 9PM on the weekdays.

You could get an Uber instead, but then you're just paying for the Uber rather than paying for the parking. Doesn't seem like there's a better option for you.

Top Bottom