• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chicago to be US bid for 2016 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lo-Volt

Chicago beat out Los Angeles as the United States’ bid city for the 2016 Olympic Summer Games in a vote Saturday by the United States Olympic Committee. Chicago has never played host to an Olympics, while Los Angeles has had two Games, in 1932 and 1984, the first Olympics to end with a surplus of money.

The vote, which U.S.O.C. Chairman Peter V. Ueberroth called “a very tough decision,” left Los Angeles’s representatives stunned as the Chicago contingent leaped to its feet.

The final stage of voting will be held in October 2009, when the International Olympic Committee will meet in Copenhagen to choose from five cities, which are expected to include Madrid, Rio de Janeiro, Rome and Tokyo.

In the early afternoon Saturday, representatives from Chicago and Los Angeles each gave their final 40-minute presentations to the 11-member United States Olympic Committee board. Each group said it felt confident that it had offered the best package for the 2016 Olympics, emphasizing that it had the financing, the strategy and the enthusiasm to play host to the Games.

Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said that his city’s pitch included a promise of a $500 million financing package from the City Council and more than $32 million from the private sector to pay for the Games. The Chicago bid also a $150 million guarantee from Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich that the state would kick in if the Games lost money.

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio R. Villaraigosa said his presentation included a pledge of private-sector money unprecedented in size. California Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger signed a bill last week authorizing up to $250 million of state financing to pay for cost overruns.

U.S.O.C. officials had a list of requirements for the bid cities, including a carefully crafted financial plan and an Olympic stadium built or already approved. They also asked that the governments of the cities promise to guarantee to pay any overruns if private financing failed to pay the entire cost of the Games. Both cities seemed to meet those requirements. Chicago said it had the money for a new stadium. Los Angeles said it would use an existing stadium, the Coliseum, which would be renovated.

The U.S.O.C. approached its selection differently than it had in the past, particularly in light of the failed New York City bid for the 2012 Games. In 2005, New York City went into the I.O.C.’s final vote on those Games without an Olympic stadium after the plan for the West Side stadium had been defeated one month before.

That July, New York received only 16 of 100 votes and was dropped from the race in the second round. The I.O.C. chose London for the 2012 Olympics. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/15/sports/othersports/15usoc.html?hp

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
I didn't think they had a chance in hell. I'm going to go to so many events. 30 minutes aways from Chicago is where I live. This will be badass.

This will be interesting. Twenty years since another North American city will have hosted the Summer Games (ATL). But, in the same stretch, twice for the Winter Games (SLC & VAN). My bet would probably be them favoring an African (Cape Town?) or South American city (Rio?).

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Wait, so they think this thing is only gonna cost them around $700 million? Dont these things usually cost a few billion at least?

HomShaBom said:
I still don't see why they gave an Olympics to ****ing China. Horrible human rights.

I think that awarding it to China is actually a catalyst for change and modernization as it is forcing the Chinese government to put their best face forward. It's forcing them to try to clean up the environment and it's an incentive for them. It's definitely a positive rather than a negative.

Boogie

CharlieDigital said:
I think that awarding it to China is actually a catalyst for change and modernization as it is forcing the Chinese government to put their best face forward. It's forcing them to try to clean up the environment and it's an incentive for them. It's definitely a positive rather than a negative.

Yeah, you're right. I mean, look what it did for Germany in 1936.

Mute

Banned
HomShaBom said:
I still don't see why the gave an Olympics to ****ing China. Horrible human rights.
I'd say 1936 Olympics was worse.

jesseowens1936olympicspt6.jpg

Yay Nazis!

edit: damnit Boogie

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Agent Icebeezy said:
I didn't think they had a chance in hell. I'm going to go to so many events. 30 minutes aways from Chicago is where I live. This will be badass.

Like hell we didn't. Our city is organized, not one sprawled-out super-suburb. I saw the plans for building housing and stadiums they published in the Tribune a few months ago. Most of the events will be taking place in the South Side, particularly in Bronzeville.

jak stat

Phobophile said:
Like hell we didn't. Our city is organized, not one sprawled-out super-suburb. I saw the plans for building housing and stadiums they published in the Tribune a few months ago. Most of the events will be taking place in the South Side, particularly in Bronzeville.
But hey LA had almost all the facilities already built and connected by mass transit. There was literally only one more building that needed to be built... the rest was a bunch of upgrades.

sangreal

Agent Icebeezy said:

Chicago is just the city the US has chosen. They still have to compete against the rest of the bidding countries. This news doesn't mean the 2016 olympics will be in Chicago

Stele

Holds a little red book
CharlieDigital said:
You must mean clean up the environment as in bulldozing down hundred of thousands of historical Beijing homes and evicting them to the ghetto outskirts to construct Olympics infrastructure. I think around 300,000+ have been evicted in the last several years. Of course, this is all small fry compared to the Three Gorges Dam resettlement efforts and the general trend nationwide.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/ID06Ad01.html

Akira said:
That 1936 Olympics picture is funny because it was 3 of the major players in WWII.
You realize that the Soviet Union had more people killed during WWII basically than ever other country combined, right?

edit: Actually, they only had a third of the deaths, including almost 14% of their population at the time.

WorldWarII-MilitaryDeaths-Allies-Piechart.png

tnw

Banned
Stele said:
You must mean clean up the environment as in bulldozing down hundred of thousands of historical Beijing homes and evicting them to the ghetto outskirts to construct Olympics infrastructure. I think around 300,000+ have been evicted in the last several years. Of course, this is all small fry compared to the Three Gorges Dam resettlement efforts and the general trend nationwide.

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/ID06Ad01.html

How would you suggest china develop? Do you want to live in a hutong 365 days of the year? No, you want modern housing just like every other person in the world does. Besides those types of housing are very low density, and China really needs to think about those things especially as more and more people are moving to urban areas.

How could someone compare the Beijing olympics to the Berlin Olympics? It's much more similar to the Tokyo olympics.

Anyway, I think Chicago is a great choice. Besides my bias against southern california, why the hell do they need to host the olympics for a third time? Chicago is a great city, and Daly has been doing some good stuff to Chicago as his time in the Mayor's office. It'll be a great candidate.

I do kind of hope the olympics go to a different continent though. Tokyo really doesn't need it. Italy just had the winter olympics, and greece just held the summer olympics lasat time. I hope rio wins, failing that, chicago.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
tnw said:
Besides my bias against southern california, why the hell do they need to host the olympics for a third time?
Because having cities rehost the event is the only system that makes any economic sense. Countries rush to dump tons of money on buildings to support it that they'll use exactly ONE TIME. WHY?

By reusing olympic sites, you can actually make the olympics an investment rather than a money pit. Too much money is wasted otherwise.

medrew

It's not too different to the Seoul Olympics. Both are ways of announcing to the world that they (South Korea and China) are economically viable powers and showcasing their developed cities that people presume don't exist. While a lot of that means that those cities change in preparation it often leads to some drastic infrastructural changes that would likely be bypassed for years due to cost (roads, plumbing, cleanliness).
Even Greece managed to clean up some parts of Athens for a few years :lol Got a pretty good rail system out of it, too.

tnw

Banned
medrew said:
It's not too different to the Seoul Olympics. Both are ways of announcing to the world that they (South Korea and China) are economically viable powers and showcasing their developed cities that people presume don't exist. While a lot of that means that those cities change in preparation it often leads to some drastic infrastructural changes that would likely be bypassed for years due to cost (roads, plumbing, cleanliness).
Even Greece managed to clean up some parts of Athens for a few years :lol Got a pretty good rail system out of it, too.

Man, seeing the dated nature of the olympic infrastructure in seoul when I was there was kind of eye opening.

which is in line with what hitokage is saying, I guess. But LA isn't the only US city that's hosted the olympics in the past. Besides, if we are going to designate an American city to host the olympics, I really don't think LA should be the one. Chicago actually seems like a good choice if they were going to do something like that.

For a city like Beijing though I think the olympic infrastructure makes sense. Tokyo is still using its olympic infrastructure; the building that Kenzo tange designed is still to this day a landmark building. Even the nagano olympics and the shinkansen line that they built out to nagano is heavily used (to go on day trips for snowboarding without using a car or going to karuizawa, etc.), as is the narita express service. Beijing is also having starchitects herzog and demueron design some of its facilities, and I do think in the case of beijing they will continue to be used. european cities on the other hand, even if they are designed by Calatrava, does not make sense really. It would makes sense for europe to designate an olympic city perhaps.

Designated olypic cities sounds like a good idea, actually, although it will probably never happen; there is way too much money to be made in new infrastructure by developers/architects/etc.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
As silly as this sounds, I might actually attempt to go over there from Australia and go see some events.

Always wanted to visit Chicago in some way.. what better way than to cheer my home country at the same time?

speedpop said:
As silly as this sounds, I might actually attempt to go over there from Australia and go see some events.

Always wanted to visit Chicago in some way.. what better way than to cheer my home country at the same time?

I could be wrong but umm... couldn't you have seen the Olympics in your own country 3 years ago?

Also, providing it would be safe, I'd rather see the games in South America or Africa.

Ripclawe

Banned
Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley said that his city’s pitch included a promise of a $500 million financing package from the City Council and more than $32 million from the private sector to pay for the Games. The Chicago bid also a $150 million guarantee from Illinois Gov. Rod R. Blagojevich that the state would kick in if the Games lost money.

Yeah right, watch that bill get higher and higher ala London if they get it.

sangreal

reggieandTFE said:
You realize that the Soviet Union had more people killed during WWII basically than ever other country combined, right?

edit: Actually, they only had a third of the deaths, including almost 14% of their population at the time.

WorldWarII-MilitaryDeaths-Allies-Piechart.png

and that means that the US, Japan and Germany weren't 3 major players in WW2, or did you have no point?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Mute said:
I'd say 1936 Olympics was worse.

jesseowens1936olympicspt6.jpg

Yay Nazis!

edit: damnit Boogie

I like how the guy from USA is shitting his pants...he looks terrified.

SyNapSe

Teh Hamburglar said:
Chicago is a kickass city. I love going up there on the weekends from time to time.

No doubt! Chicago is great, but i'm not sure how well suited it is to hosting the summer olympics. I think it'll go somewhere else in the world anyway, Rio would be nice I'd say.

edit: The "guy from the USA"... how can you not know that's Jessie Owens :\ It is a really great photo though

I would looooove for Chicago to host the Olympics, it would be a great chance for me to visit some friends I haven't seen since High School.

Rio, on the other hand, would be a fantastic choice as well. Brazil has come a long way in terms of economic development in the last few years, plus it's a beautiful city.

bluemax

Banned
Most of the stuff built for the 84 Olympics is around the USC campus and the only things that would need some work would be the Coliseum. The shithole sports arena has been replaced by the beautiful Galen Center and Webb Tower which housed athletes just got remodeled and revamped. McDonalds Swim stadium is in excellent shape too and our track got upgraded in the past few years as well.

So really yeah, they would've had to do some work to the Coliseum but everything else in the area has been upgraded or retrofitted or replaced with something better in the last 3 years.

Does Chicago have such stuff all built and ready?

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
bluemax said:
Does Chicago have such stuff all built and ready?

Over half of the facilities will have to be constructed. Shouldn't take more than 3 years to build. At least the Dan Ryan Expressway construction will be done by then.

joeposh

I stopped by the rally during my self appointed "lunch break" yesterday, and I was surprised at just how large and enthusiastic the crowd was. A mix of all sorts of people coming together in downtown Chicago to celebrate the bid selection, it was a great sight. Hell, even Obama swung by to say a few words. If the show of enthusiasm and support I saw there is at all indicative of Chicago's attitude towards this event, I think we have a very good shot at it.

I think a lot of American's will be surprised at what a gem Chicago has been becoming in recent years...

AntoneM

Chicago is a good American choice.

I think that Rio, despite being Brazil's best choice, is a horrible city to have the olympics. If any South American city were to get the olympics I would want it to be Buenos Aires. The mother****ing "Paris" of South America.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
sangreal said:
Chicago is just the city the US has chosen. They still have to compete against the rest of the bidding countries. This news doesn't mean the 2016 olympics will be in Chicago

Mayor Daley is that dude. He runs shit like no other. Daley's behind this, it's damn near a done deal now. He's one of the greatest mayors in history, just like his old man. He will will Chicago into having the best shit for this.

http://www.time.com/time/press_releases/article/0,8599,1050348,00.html

Richard Daley- Chicago: He wields near imperial power, and most of Chicago would have it no other way. Two years ago, Richard Daley was re-elected to his fifth term with 79% of the vote. His annual budgets are routinely passed with only token opposition. He controls public housing, public schools and the city council. He is cozy with Big Business, is a master at the ward politics of fixing streetlights, and he speaks with a blunt, blue-collar brio that Chicagoans find endearing, TIME reports.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
tnw said:
which is in line with what hitokage is saying, I guess. But LA isn't the only US city that's hosted the olympics in the past. Besides, if we are going to designate an American city to host the olympics, I really don't think LA should be the one. Chicago actually seems like a good choice if they were going to do something like that.
Yeah, I'm not saying LA should be it, just that the Olympics shouldn't have to be prepared from scratch every time.

AlphaSnake said:
I like how the guy from USA is shitting his pants...he looks terrified.

Are you kidding, Jesse is just trying not to kill both of them with his bare hands, and then climb in the stands and rip Hitler's head off.

Meier

Chicago is the top city on my list of places to move to in the next few months, so I'm happy for them. No clue if I'll be there in almost 10 years though.

i guess I'm the only chicagoan saying a big 'god damnit' to this.

I don't want to hear about the olympics everywhere I go for the next 20 years ("Hey, the olympics are coming!" / "Hey, the olympics are here!" / "hey, remember when the olympics were here?")
I don't want prices of a lot of things to skyrocket
and most of all
I already hate driving in Chicago, this would make it so much worse.

Yeah, I'm selfish

JodyAnthony said:
i guess I'm the only chicagoan saying a big 'god damnit' to this.

I don't want to hear about the olympics everywhere I go for the next 20 years ("Hey, the olympics are coming!" / "Hey, the olympics are here!" / "hey, remember when the olympics were here?")
I don't want prices of a lot of things to skyrocket
and most of all
I already hate driving in Chicago, this would make it so much worse.

Yeah, I'm selfish

As a fellow Chicagoan I can agree on points 1&2, but as for point three I just have to ask why the heck are you driving in Chicago?

I probably won't be around to see the fruits, but I would HOPE that the Olympics would help spur the idea of improving public transit in Chicago. Yeah, we blow away just about any American city other than New York, but after seeing how transit works in Europe I am jealous and would love such a system here.

Variable

ConfusingJazz said:
Are you kidding, Jesse is just trying not to kill both of them with his bare hands, and then climb in the stands and rip Hitler's head off.

I think most people were clueless about the situation at that point.

BigGreenMat said:
As a fellow Chicagoan I can agree on points 1&2, but as for point three I just have to ask why the heck are you driving in Chicago?

honestly if I didn't have to transport band equipment, I would never drive.

suaveric

BigGreenMat said:

I probably won't be around to see the fruits, but I would HOPE that the Olympics would help spur the idea of improving public transit in Chicago. Yeah, we blow away just about any American city other than New York, but after seeing how transit works in Europe I am jealous and would love such a system here.

If Chicago does get the Olympics, you can be sure that federal funding will start to pour in to the area for transportation upgrades/expansion. The CTA in particular must be drooling at the thought of getting that money, they want to build a new train line (circle) and extend at least half the other ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom