• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Child sex abuse claims mount against Boy Scouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

IimMJ.jpg

(Reuters) - Four Oregon men sued the Boy Scouts of America on Tuesday for $20 million over childhood sexual abuse they say they suffered at the hands of a pedophile knowingly appointed as their scoutmaster in the 1970s.

The four lawsuits, filed in Multnomah County Circuit Court in Portland, accuse the national Boy Scouts and its Cascade Pacific Council of negligence, fraud and sexual battery of a child in connection with the repeated molestation of the men, then aged 12 to 15.

The suits, each seeking $5.2 million in damages, are the latest in a barrage of such claims facing the Boy Scouts, headquartered in Texas, since the group was found liable and ordered to pay nearly $20 million last year for a pedophile case from the 1980s.

A separate case was filed against the Boy Scouts last week by five women who say they were sexually abused as girls by the leader of a coed Scouting program in Montana during the 1970s.

The latest cases bring to at least 35 the number of individuals who have lodged child sexual abuse claims against the Boy Scouts of America (BSA) in 11 states since 2007, said plaintiffs attorney Kelly Clark, whose Portland firm has spearheaded the legal action.

Boy Scouts officials say various sexual abuse allegations involve a small fraction of the 1.1 million adults who volunteer for the nonprofit organization, which last year reported cash and other assets in excess of $1 billion.

The group cites new safeguards instituted during the past decade, including tighter screening of adult volunteers, although computerized criminal background checks only became mandatory for new volunteers in 2003 and for existing volunteers in 2008.

"Youth protection is part of the DNA of our program," said Deron Smith, a spokesman for the Boys Scouts of America, adding that while the group was "proud of the program and volunteers, even one incident of abuse was too many."

"Scouts, their parents, volunteers and professional staff are all taught to recognize, resist and report abuse," Smith said, adding that BSA policies forbid adult volunteers from ever being alone with a scout. He declined to address the latest specific allegations.

The lawsuits claim the Boy Scouts of America was aware since the 1960s that "scouting posed a danger to adolescent boys because historically noticeable numbers of adult volunteers ... were discovered to be child molesters."

As in the abuse scandal that has rocked the Roman Catholic Church, whose hierarchy is accused of covering up misconduct by wayward priests, Tuesday's suits claim the Boy Scouts "concealed the problem of child molestation by Scout leaders."

PRIESTS VS. SCOUTMASTERS

The mounting litigation has tarnished the wholesome image of a 100-year-old largely volunteer scouting organization that prides itself on building good character, citizenship and personal fitness among the 2.7 million youth -- mostly boys aged 8 to 17 -- who are its members.

"Like the Catholic Church, the Boy Scouts have been exposing children to sexual predators for decades," said Grier Weeks, head of the child abuse prevention lobby PROTECT.

"In the process, they've also exposed themselves to enormous financial liability," he told Reuters. "The question is, which did they care more about? If it was boys, there will be a long, clear trail of aggressive attempts to protect. If it was themselves, there will be a trail of silence."

Clark cited some key differences between the Catholic church and the Boy Scouts, which he said was essentially targeted by outside pedophiles seeking easy access to boys.

"You don't have to be trained or anything. You just show up and raise your hand and swear and you're a volunteer," he said.

Last year's trial shed light on records the BSA kept on suspected or confirmed sexual abuse by leaders and volunteers. The jury was permitted to review 20,000 pages from what were termed the "perversion files" or "ineligible volunteer files," dating from 1965 to 1985, before rendering a verdict.

Those files show that during the 20-year period, an average of nearly 60 leaders or volunteers a year were discovered molesting children, Clark said.

The Boy Scouts dispute that figure, and the organization is fighting to keep those documents from being made public in a case awaiting a ruling by the Oregon Supreme Court.

Smith said the files "have always served solely as a barrier to entry" for those deemed ineligible to serve as Scouting leaders.

The four new plaintiffs said they were abused in the 1970s by then-scoutmaster Steven Terry Hill, who was put in charge of their troop after the Boy Scouts learned he had been accused of molestation while serving as a scout leader in California.

Hill was acquitted in the late 1970s of sex abuse charges related to the Boy Scouts in Portland. But he was convicted in 1991 on four counts of sodomy and furnishing drugs and alcohol to a minor stemming from an unrelated sex-abuse case involving a 17-year-old boy. He was released from prison in April after serving about 20 years, Clark said.

A deposition Hill gave while incarcerated, and other corroborating evidence, suggests that the California Scouts council arranged for him to be transferred to Portland, where in 1976 he founded Troop 76, an elite group whose mission was "high adventure" activities like river rafting and mountain climbing, Clark said.

Clark acknowledged no direct evidence that the national BSA knew of Hill's transfer, but added, "We would argue that the local councils are ... agents of the (national) Boy Scouts of America. What an agent knows, the principal knows."

Story Here

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Doesn't surprise me at all.. But these claims are over forty years old.. How do you do that case I wonder

SmokyDave

Yeah, scouts always seemed dodgy to me. Avoided them as a kid because I thought the leaders were a suspicious. Turns out that my local scout-leader was busted as a paedo and I was right to avoid 'em.

Baden-Powell seemed a bit 'iffy' too. They say it was repressed homosexuality but I think he was probably just a repressed scout-leader.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Kind of shocked some form of this story isn't posted everyday. Seems like such an obvious avenue to get access to kids who will trust you.

JackEtc

Currently in the process of getting all my paperwork approved to officially become an Eagle Scout...

So in before the BSA flaming, I guess.
EDIT: posted too late, *sigh*

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Really sucks that stuff like this happens, it gives the whole movement a bad name.

I spent several happy years with the Air Scouts and they were some of the best times of my life - flying gliders, going camping, and just learning a bunch of fun stuff.

I'd still enrol my kids, I wouldn't want them to miss out on the experiences Scouts can offer.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
RubxQub said:
Kind of shocked some form of this story isn't posted everyday. Seems like such an obvious avenue to get access to kids who will trust you.

Scouts now are a far cry from the membership it used to have when I was a kid, I bet we will see a lot more cases fro the 70s and 80s than any other time frame....

Londa

Banned
I'm sure he said to himself that he would never act on it before he started working for the scouts. Smh.

SmokyDave

Londa said:
I'm sure he said to himself that he would never act on it before he started working for the scouts. Smh.
I'd say the opposite was much likelier to be true, take the job to get to the kids.

Steelrain

Pretty disgusting. I had a lot of fun in the scouts as a kid. Sad to see people taking advantage of a childs trust because they are sick fucks.

Wanace

I enjoyed Scouts a lot when I was a kid. My dad did attend a lot of the events I went to though, I suspect he probably knew this type of crap could happen and wanted to keep an eye on me.

jorma

is now taking requests
Dead Man said:
Group that doesn't want gays, filled with paedophiles? Who would have thought?

So, uhm - what sort of percentage out of the 1.1 million volounteers need to be gayhating pedophiles in order to be able to call it "filled"? 600.000? All of them? Or is just the one enough?

Dead Man

jorma said:
So, uhm - what sort of percentage out of the 1.1 million volounteers need to be gayhating pedophiles in order to be able to call it "filled"? 600.000? All of them? Or is just the one enough?
I don't know... lets say realistically 0.1%. And then get over the fact I used hyperbole to get a point across.

Binabik15

I read Child sex abuse claims mount Boy Scouts at first.

Am I understandng that article correctly that there´s been a surge of complaints filed once someone got a huge amount of $$$?

If that´s the case, I hope they´re only doing this because they now know that they can get justice, not because they know they can get money for past abuse.

jorma

is now taking requests
Dead Man said:
I don't know... lets say realistically 0.1%. And then get over the fact I used hyperbole to get a point across.

those sort of numbers would probably (and ceirtanly if i get to use hyperbole to get a point across) mean that all the day care centers, schools and disneyland are also filled to the brim with pedophiles.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
SillyEskimo said:
The BSA have been taken over by and large by Mormons. It's disgusting.

I have no idea where this came from.

I used to be a Boy Scout. It was good times. And it sucked ass when they took their stance against allowing gay Scoutmasters.

I hope justice is served, but I'm not sure how they'll manage to prove it so many years later.

Also what is kind of sad is I can imagine ignorant people using this as another (terrible) reason not to allow openly gay scout masters.

SillyEskimo said:
The BSA have been taken over by and large by Mormons. It's disgusting.

My scout troop met at a Mormon church every Wednesday, and they were some of the nicest people I've ever known. What the hell is your problem?

"You don't have to be trained or anything. You just show up and raise your hand and swear and you're a volunteer," he said.

This was true back in the 70's and 80's, but now we have training for every aspect of scouting, and leaders are required to take Youth Protection Training to be a registered leader. We also do background checks on all leaders. Yes, I'm sure some people slip through the cracks, but scouting is much more secure than it used to be.

Also, we do have a lot of LDS (Mormon) Scouts because they use scouting as their youth program. Frankly, they're awesome, and some of the most trained leaders in my area.

I work for the Scouts, and with YPT and other trainings, leaders know to call me if they think there's anything fishy going on.

SmokyDave

PushTheButtonMax said:
My scout troop met at a Mormon church every Wednesday, and they were some of the nicest people I've ever known. What the hell is your problem?
Perhaps nice people disgust him?

PushTheButtonMax said:

I'm not sure what's wrong with pointing out that Scouting is now basically an arm of the Mormon church. Between that, their homophobia and their refusal to allow atheists I certainly wouldn't let any child of mine join scouting.

Jeff-DSA

dead souls said:
I'm not sure what's wrong with pointing out that Scouting is now basically an arm of the Mormon church. Between that, their homophobia and their refusal to allow atheists I certainly wouldn't let any child of mine join scouting.

They don't refuse atheists and there's no homophobia. There might be individuals who are homophobic, but it's not institutionalized by any means. I was a Scout leader for 3 years. We had one kid who was gay, and nobody harassed him or gave him a hard time. He was fully welcomed to activities and on camping trips. I think he felt more accepted and safe at Scouts than he ever did in school.

I received my Eagle Scout award. I never had anything but good experiences with Scouts. I'll definitely encourage my son to attend.

ronito

dead souls said:
I doubt that you could really call the scouts an arm of the church. It's true that the church, by far, is the scout's biggest customers, but the scouts are no more an arm of the church any more than Big Pharma is an arm of the US government.

Honestly under Hinckley I was pretty sure the days of the scouts/LDS church relationship were close to an end with the establishment of the LDS "Duty to God" award and refocus that was SUPPOSED to come from that.

After Monson took over it's sorta reverted back to status quo and really the duty to god award was originally sold as a replacement for the Eagle badge, but that was quickly changed to be more complimentary.

If things keep going badly for the Scouts I can see the LDS church pulling out of that relationship and buffing up their Duty to God program as a replacement.

coldvein

Banned
not surprising. i was in boy scouts for quite a while as a kid, with my dad as my scoutmaster. goddamn that sucked.

ittoryu

This was expected. I was a scout years ago, but in Italy they are pretty tied up with the Church so I ran away from them as soon as some priests got involved.

Jeff-DSA said:
They don't refuse atheists and there's no homophobia. There might be individuals who are homophobic, but it's not institutionalized by any means. I was a Scout leader for 3 years. We had one kid who was gay, and nobody harassed him or gave him a hard time. He was fully welcomed to activities and on camping trips. I think he felt more accepted and safe at Scouts than he ever did in school.

I received my Eagle Scout award. I never had anything but good experiences with Scouts. I'll definitely encourage my son to attend.

So you are allowed to be openly gay in the Boy Scouts?

Your personal anecdote is also indicative of the Boy Scouts as a whole?

This whole page is just all lies? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Scouts_of_America_membership_controversies

Actually according to the page you can be in the scouts, you are just barred from any leadership positions if you are gay. Yeah, totally fair and equal treatment. No homophobia at all.

Teh Hamburglar said:
its a good thing they banned gays.

No no Jeff-DSA knew a gay kid in the scouts so there is obviously no homophobia.

Jeff-DSA

ronito said:
If things keep going badly for the Scouts I can see the LDS church pulling out of that relationship and buffing up their Duty to God program as a replacement.

It's possible. I also got the feeling that the BSA was taking a whole lot more from the LDS church than they gave back these days.

Edit: I don't know what to think about the gay leader policy. I actually wasn't aware. It's wrong to assume that kids would be abused by a gay leader, but I can see parents freaking out over the idea. But if they're going to allow coed scouting, which I have never seen, then there's some hypocrisy going on there.

Jeff-DSA said:
I don't know what to think about the gay leader policy. I actually wasn't aware. It's wrong to assume that kids would be abused by a gay leader, but I can see parents freaking out over the idea. But if they're going to allow coed scouting, which I have never seen, then there's some hypocrisy going on there.

And blacks/minority groups are more likely to commit crime. Should minority races be barred from leadership positions? We can't have those scary black men in charge of our kids!!!

And gay people don't generally lust after little underage boys, and to suggest that is the case (or to even humor the idea) is fucked up. Pedophilia is not the same as homosexuality.

And why should you or anyone else support an organization that treats a minority group like second class citizens in order to avoid offending bigots? That isn't something I'd want to teach my child. That isn't the kind of organization that can teach children decent moral values.

Jeff-DSA

Obsessed said:
And blacks/minority groups are more likely to commit crime. Should minority races be barred from leadership positions? We can't have those scary black men in charge of our kids!!!

And gay people don't generally lust after little underage boys, and to suggest that is the case (or to even humor the idea) is fucked up. Pedophilia is not the same as homosexuality.

And why should you or anyone else support an organization that treats a minority group like second class citizens in order to avoid offending bigots? That isn't something I'd want to teach my child. That isn't the kind of organization that can teach children decent moral values.

They're sort of backed into a corner since they survive off of donations. It's not right, but it's how the world works. Sucks, man, but until the general public is sufficiently educated, there's always going to exist those sorts of policies.

DeathIsTheEnd said:
I've seen comments from atheists saying that they weren't allowed to
"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, ‘On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.’ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members..."
join whilst others were. It seems to be partly down the Scout leader in question.

Haha what the fuck, how is that even allowed?

Let's see a scout group not tolerate christians and see how that pans out in the media.

Gaborn

Jeff-DSA said:
It's possible. I also got the feeling that the BSA was taking a whole lot more from the LDS church than they gave back these days.

Edit: I don't know what to think about the gay leader policy. I actually wasn't aware. It's wrong to assume that kids would be abused by a gay leader, but I can see parents freaking out over the idea. But if they're going to allow coed scouting, which I have never seen, then there's some hypocrisy going on there.

Shouldn't matter. Just like gays should be allowed to be teachers (since, well, why the hell shouldn't they be) there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to allow them to be scout leaders. Gays aren't the problem, pedos are.

ivysaur12

Banned
Gaborn said:
Shouldn't matter. Just like gays should be allowed to be teachers (since, well, why the hell shouldn't they be) there is ABSOLUTELY no reason not to allow them to be scout leaders. Gays aren't the problem, pedos are.

But they gotta recruit cause they can't produce, amirite?

This shit sucks :-\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom