• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

China Affirms Japanese Sovereignty Over Okinawa and the Ryukyu Islands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2013/06/02/china-affirms-japan-sovereignty-over-okinawa-ryukyu-islands/

China doesn’t dispute Japan’s sovereignty over Okinawa and other islands in the Ryukyu chain, a senior Chinese military official said, dismissing recent commentary on the matter by state-backed academics as scholarly musings.

“Please be assured that China’s position has not changed [on Japan's sovereignty over the Ryukyu Islands],” Lt. Gen. Qi Jianguo, deputy chief of general staff of the People’s Liberation Army, told the Shangri-La Dialogue, an annual security conference in Singapore, Sunday.

His comments come after the Chinese Communist Party’s main propaganda organ, the People’s Daily newspaper, questioned Tokyo’s historical claim on the Ryukyu Islands, which stretch southwest from Japan’s home islands toward Taiwan. The chain includes Okinawa, a piece of land key to the U.S. defense strategy in the Asia Pacific.

“Scholars are free to put forward any ideas they want. It doesn’t represent the views of the Chinese government,” the general said in response to a question posed by a conference delegate.

Lt. Gen. Qi was the first senior Beijing official to affirm Japan’s sovereignty over the Ryukyu Islands after the People’s Daily published in May a lengthy commentary by scholars at a prominent state-run think tank that called for a “reconsideration” of “unresolved” historical questions over the status of the Ryukyu Islands, but stopped short of calling the chain a part of China.

The Japanese government has dismissed the commentary, saying there is “no doubt” about its sovereignty over the islands. In a Saturday interview on Nippon Television, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe noted the People’s Daily article but said that “despite all this, we are calling for dialogue. I hope China will understand our desire.”

The issue had come amid ongoing tensions between Tokyo and Beijing over the sovereignty of uninhabited islands in the East China Sea, called Senkaku in Japanese and Diaoyu in Chinese, which sit astride key shipping routes. This long-running territorial dispute was reignited after Japan’s government decided to purchase the islands from private owners in September 2012. China has since repeatedly sent maritime surveillance vessels and aircraft to the waters near the islands, testing Tokyo’s control.

It isn't exactly just academics (wasn't it a military person that wrote the article in the newspaper anyway) if the main state backed newspaper runs the story.

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe noted the People’s Daily article but said that “despite all this, we are calling for dialogue. I hope China will understand our desire.”

desire.jpg

EYEL1NER

Sanity prevails, for the time being at least.
Yep, nice to see that it didn't escalate.
Not that I think that guys remarks were going to lead to Japan and China trading blows or anything, but their absurd territorial claims have been pissing off a lot of their neighbors. I read the thread title too quickly and thought it said the opposite of what it does; China could have easily backed that guy up and said "Oh Okinawa? Yeah, that shit is ours."

F6eX0W3.png

maomaoIYP

Yep, nice to see that it didn't escalate.
Not that I think that guys remarks were going to lead to Japan and China trading blows or anything, but their absurd territorial claims have been pissing off a lot of their neighbors. I read the thread title too quickly and thought it said the opposite of what it does; China could have easily backed that guy up and said "Oh Okinawa? Yeah, that shit is ours."

http://i.imgur.com/F6eX0W3.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
They never said that. They said Okinawa was an independent kingdom which paid tribute to the Ming court.

maomaoIYP

maomaoIYP

Good lord. Nobody ever said any guy said that. He said the government could have said that, but didn't.

Except this entire article totally did.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/who-wants-to-be-a-part-of-china-20130520-2jwun.html#ixzz2TwILT45L
Which lead to this thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=560416
The article at smh took the a whole load of quotes from a chinese article out of context, shifted the entire focus, and strongly suggested that China is claiming okinawa.

maomaoIYP

So blame them, not the guy on GAF who never said it.

But of course. Except that I'm tired of the misinformation that's floating on the net. Right as we speak there are dudes posting in the old thread saying that China's going to claim whichever other tribute state next. If we weren't having this discussion on the first page of this thread I'm pretty sure there's going to be way more posts on which other country China is going to claim next because they used to be a tribute state.

wildfire

Banned
Good news everyone!

I don't see how that's the case. Ryuku and Okinawa wasn't being disputed in the last year.
The islands they are arguing over recently are the Senkaku.

This statement seems to be China's indirect saying we allow you to hold dominion over islands 400 miles beyond our shores. As for islands 200 miles out....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom