• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Chocobo and the Magic Picture Book (DS) Impressions Thread (WTF duckroll has a DS?!)

duckroll

So I finally got to put some time into Chocobo DS today, and as expected it's really awesome! It's apparently developed by h.a.n.d.s or something, anyone know anything about them? The 3D graphics in the game is really charming and the music is great. Basically the game lets you pick from a few options at the title screen, mainly between Story Mode and Quick Play. There are other options but those involve multiplayer, wifi and unlocked presents so I haven't really looked into them.

Quick Play is where you can just select from a few minigames and play them. The are only a few options at first because there are many waiting to be unlocked. I suppose when you encounter new minigames in the Story Mode they'll be unlocked here. The ones available that I've checked out in mostly quick reflex single player games. There's one which is a little like minesweeper, but instead of you taking your time to comb the grid, each round starts with one square with an arrow in one direction telling you where the next safe square is. One arrow means the next square, two arrows mean two squares in that direction, etc. You basically keep tapping the squares until you get to the goal before the timer runs down. The other minigame was Cid's Job test where the FF3 (NES sprite version) jobs are all shown on the touch screen but on the top screen a random job sprite will hop across and you have to tap the right job for the next random one to hop across.

The Story Mode is where the meat of the game really is though. You get to name your chocobo character and, it's a full blown Story Mode where you walk around and talk to characters and there are cutscenes. Basically the story goes that you're on a chocobo farm run by White Mage and Black Mage, but then one day Black Mage comes along with this cool magic book which you unlock and unleash an evil demon lord. So he sucks all the chocobos on the farm up and have scatered them all over the world as pages.

As you encounter each page you'll recover one of the chocobos, but some pages are stuck in places you cannot get to, so near them is usually a storybook (which all have been cursed by the demon lord book). As you read each storybook you get to play minigames connected to the stories and by completing the stories you forward the plot. Basically the entire game is a mix of adventure/exploration mixed with minigames. The first storybook was a Squaresoft twist on the Tortise and the Hare, except this time it's the Cauter and the Adamantoise. :lol

After completing the first story minigame where you navigate the Adamantoise up the hill to win the race, you get to the ending of the book where the Cauter is all mad and he gets so mad he hops out of the book and lands on the balloon that was floating the chocobo page you needed. Then an enemy character (hot chick!) is introduced with her evil rival chocobo. He jumps into the storybook and challenges you, so you go back into the book to play the same minigame except this time with an actual race rival. He sucks though, so you defeat him and he goes running away. :D

Overall the game is really charming and excactly what should be expected out of a fun take on the Chocobo series with all the Chocobo series characters being presented in really nice 3D on the DS. The game is fun, cute, entertaining and seems to be pretty packed with variety. :D

jarrod

Banned
duckroll said:
So I finally got to put some time into Chocobo DS today, and as expected it's really awesome! It's apparently developed by h.a.n.d.s or something, anyone know anything about them?
It's hand co. They also recently made One Piece: Pirates Carnival and Tamagotchi Wii among other things.

edit-ack! beaten by the OP! :/

jesusraz

I love the graphics and soundtrack, definitely. And the gameplay's immensely fun as well - some of the mini games are so damn hard it's unbelievable (like trying to beat 16s on the 'follow the arrows' one). I managed a fluky 0.6m on the 'stop sliding' mini-game, which I was chuffed about :)

Really fun so far! Even the card battling is really simple to work out, just flicking the card you want onto the battle field using the stylus!

Vard

I'm really interested in the game. I hope that the multiplayer mode's quite extensive. It seems like it would be a blast with friends.

duckroll

I just cleared Chapter 2, wow it's really opening up now. After the Pop-up Hero (lol Mog lol) gave me the deck case to start the Pop-up Duels the game has a new layer to it. It's not just minigames, but also a card battle game. The deck can only hold 8 cards right now, which I don't mind since I don't have many cards now anyway. The duels are pretty easy at the moment, but still fun and there's a nice element of strategy once you know the cards the enemy will use and what cards to place against them. Really impressive title so far!

Fady K

duckroll said:
I just cleared Chapter 2, wow it's really opening up now. After the Pop-up Hero (lol Mog lol) gave me the deck case to start the Pop-up Duels the game has a new layer to it. It's not just minigames, but also a card battle game. The deck can only hold 8 cards right now, which I don't mind since I don't have many cards now anyway. The duels are pretty easy at the moment, but still fun and there's a nice element of strategy once you know the cards the enemy will use and what cards to place against them. Really impressive title so far!

Nice, didnt expect such good impressions. Hoping for an NA announcement (and PAL for the rest of the brothers!)

duckroll

Dragona Akehi said:
It's well on its way.

Really? That'll be great news because I really don't recommend anyone to import this, even though it's easy to play without reading. The dialogue, card-text, storybook texts are very much part of the game experience.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Just beat the game last night. The story mode is around 11 hours. It's a bit short, but it was fun from start to finish. There's a very "casual gamer" tone to it. There is nothing hardcore (2-3 boss fights in a row without saving) in the game, and if you fail a mini game or card battle fight, there's no game over. You just go back to the field, where you can try again.

While I am usually a big hardcore RPG gamer, there was something endearing about a far more casual and laid back experience with this game. I really loved the game, and the last boss (
the air hockey monster fight
) was a ton of fun.

I wrote a review for the game, which is pretty much my sentiments about the game in general.

Great game. I hope a sequel is in the cards.

Fady K

TheTrin said:
Just beat the game last night. The story mode is around 11 hours. It's a bit short, but it was fun from start to finish. There's a very "casual gamer" tone to it. There is nothing hardcore (2-3 boss fights in a row without saving) in the game, and if you fail a mini game or card battle fight, there's no game over. You just go back to the field, where you can try again.

While I am usually a big hardcore RPG gamer, there was something endearing about a far more casual and laid back experience with this game. I really loved the game, and the last boss (
the air hockey monster fight
) was a ton of fun.

I wrote a review for the game, which is pretty much my sentiments about the game in general.

Great game. I hope a sequel is in the cards.

Interesting, but disappointed at length :(

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fady K said:
Interesting, but disappointed at length :(

The story mode is short, but you can keep going back to the card battles and mini games, AND there is online card battling, which is pretty damn fun.

Fady K

TheTrin said:
The story mode is short, but you can keep going back to the card battles and mini games, AND there is online card battling, which is pretty damn fun.

Thats not too bad I guess :) The game sure sports some pretty graphics tho!

I was always under the impression that this game is essentially Final Fantasy Party so 11 hours sounds like a long time to me... but eh I don't own the game. :)

thetrin

The game is mostly the party game idea, but the card battles are still the highlight of the game if you ask me.

The best touch is that the last two card battles use the Decisive Battle (FF6 boss theme) music, which is maybe my most favorite FF song.

duckroll

TheTrin said:
The best touch is that the last two card battles use the Decisive Battle (FF6 boss theme) music, which is maybe my most favorite FF song.

The entire game uses a mix of tracks from various FF games right? The selection's really good so far! :D

Hey, what are the WFO options for this game? Maybe we can get some Friends Code action going!

thetrin

duckroll said:
The entire game uses a mix of tracks from various FF games right? The selection's really good so far! :D

Hey, what are the WFO options for this game? Maybe we can get some Friends Code action going!

yea, when you finish the game, you get a music player unlocked. Lists which games each song is from. Some I knew I had heard before but forgot what game they were from were finally identified.

The wifi includes minigames and card battling, i believe.

Jonnyram

Man, I'm gonna have to play through this properly. I've been alternating between this and Illust Logic and so far only got as far as the second book, but I love all the character and music references. It's one of my favourite versions of Prelude too :)

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Sweet! My copy is waiting at my parents house for when I go home for teh holidays next week!
I am zee pumped!

Jiggy

Oh snaps at The Decisive Battle showing up.
But man--welcome to my wishlist, Chocobo. Didn't realize it would use card-based mechanics, and for some reason that kind of thing appeals to me in every game it appears.

That's awesome if this game is coming to the US. With things like Rocket Slime coming out over here, pretty much the only ones of the big batch of S-E titles I was expecting to not see US release were Chocobo and Front Mission. The latter I'm still not too optimistic about, but I'm pumped for Chocobo. :D

thetrin

Jonnyram said:
Man, I'm gonna have to play through this properly. I've been alternating between this and Illust Logic and so far only got as far as the second book, but I love all the character and music references. It's one of my favourite versions of Prelude too :)

Have you gotten to the card battles yet? That's what really got me into the game. The minigames are fun, but despite the low battle count in the game, everything is geared towards getting good cards for a substantial battle deck.

thetrin

Llyranor said:
Hmm, is it more a cardgame with minigames, or a minigame, er, game with a cardgame tagged on?

It's not tagged on. The rewards for the mini games are cards for the battles. The party games are the majority of the gameplay, though.

Llyranor

Is it similar to the adventuring part of Rocket Slime in order to get ammo for the tank battles, where tank battles didn't take that big a chunk of the gametime, but were very important in defining the game nevertheless?

thetrin

Llyranor said:
Is it similar to the adventuring part of Rocket Slime in order to get ammo for the tank battles, where tank battles didn't take that big a chunk of the gametime, but were very important in defining the game nevertheless?

Actually, a lot of the game's structure and story screams of Rocket Slime in some ways. That point included.

duckroll

I checked the WFO fucntions for the game, and apparently you can only use WFO to play Pop-up Duels, and you need to have a deck of at least 15 cards to play against someone else in this mode. No minigames options at all for WFO. This once again proves that Square seems to have serious problems get ANYTHING realtime running on WFO. It might be a technical issue rather than anything else which limits all their games to local wifi only.

duckroll said:
I checked the WFO fucntions for the game, and apparently you can only use WFO to play Pop-up Duels, and you need to have a deck of at least 15 cards to play against someone else in this mode. No minigames options at all for WFO. This once again proves that Square seems to have serious problems get ANYTHING realtime running on WFO. It might be a technical issue rather than anything else which limits all their games to local wifi only.

Everyone else can do it... why can't Square?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Thanks for the impressions, its weird how after ignoring them for years about 5 SE games are suddenly top of my most wanted list.

this thread needs more screenshots!!

duckroll

Captain N said:
so what's the online features in this game?

Pop-up Duels. Which means using the card decks you built in the Story Mode, you can challenge friends and their decks. This is only available after you have gained the Professional Deck Holder, which allows you to create multiple decks of 15 cards each. You can't play any of the minigames with friends online.

Top Bottom