• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

City of God is a GOOD effing movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
wow. Its like if Quentin Tarantino and Martin Scorcese had a child, and that child grew up to make a movie about teenage hoodlum gangsters living in the slums of Brazil.

Maverick

I still have to see this movie. Netflix should have it here by Thursday. My friend says it's the best movie he's seen in the last five years.

Meier

Amazing film, definitely in the top handful of 2003 and right up there with the best of any recent year.. hell ANY year.

Pattergen

My gf took me to see this (she's Brazilian). I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Fucking amazing film. Everyone should see this.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
XS+ said:
City of God should be remembered as one of the top 10 films of the decade, imo.

that isn't saying much. although since seeing dogville i've started rating movies based on how good they are in comparison to the chapters of dogville. I give City of God a 2, which is quite good!

I've been wanting to see it for a while now. I finally got that chance when Paradise rented it for the group to watch two nights ago.

Good stuff indeed.

Jim Bowie

sefskillz said:
that isn't saying much. although since seeing dogville i've started rating movies based on how good they are in comparison to the chapters of dogville. I give City of God a 2, which is quite good!

Someone told me that Dogville was a lot like Our Town. Is there any truth behind these accusations?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Jim Bowie said:
Someone told me that Dogville was a lot like Our Town. Is there any truth behind these accusations?

Yea, there are.. but not in the way that they led you to believe, I assume.

nitewulf said:
i thought it was good, but cant help but feel thats its being a bit overrated. i have been spoiled by the gangster films coming out of india though...which may be why i dont think city of god was all that great.

Try to find these two DVDs around your town, or ebay or whatever, check out these modern gangster classics from bombay.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0195231/

http://imdb.com/title/tt0296574/

Iagree Company is just as good as CIty of God. ALthough im sure the opening will turn everyone off :lol

narfnarf

It was a great movie, but better seen in the original language portuguese. So many of the plays on words and good tidbits were lost in translation. Another good Brazilian movie coming out is Carandiru...its about a prison massacre that happened in the 90's in a state prison in sao paulo.

http://carandiru.globo.com/

SKluck

Banned
Great movie, I'd say. Sucks that
Ned died, but at least Lil Ze did as well
. But it is a true story, so what can you do.

nitewulf

Kabuki Waq said:
Iagree Company is just as good as CIty of God. ALthough im sure the opening will turn everyone off :lol

you should really watch satya. IMO it's better than company. kinda like how i think lock stock is better than snatch. satya is more raw.

SKluck said:
Great movie, I'd say. Sucks that
Ned died, but at least Lil Ze did as well
. But it is a true story, so what can you do.

it was sad the
Benny (bene?) died
. He really WAS the coolest hood in all the city of god.

nitewulf said:
you should really watch satya. IMO it's better than company. kinda like how i think lock stock is better than snatch. satya is more raw.

I satya and I prefer Company by a hair. Both great movies. You should check out a low budget movie called Chhal its pretty good but obviously not as good as Satya or Company.

Meier

Watch the documentary about how Rio is now (well it's from 97, but I cant imagine it is much better in current times) on the disc.. it's so sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom