• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Classic Gaming Expo 2K4! (AKA: Chris busts out the stupid Kobun Heat shirt again)

Is anybody else going? August 21-22 in scenic San Jose. All kinds of retrogaming celebrities will be there, and the vendors (and fan-to-fan swap meets!) are to die for. I personally will blow way too much money.

http://www.cgexpo.com

WarPig

I may go for lack of any other goddamn thing to do that weekend. Depends on whether I have any free money to earn at the time.

DFS.

I went to a much smaller northwest gathering called Northwest Classic Games Enthusiasts (NWCGE) 5 or 6 years ago, and was so appalled by the bunch of ridiculous old creepy/smelly nerds there that I've steered clear of classic game expos ever since. I've considered going to CGE for a few years now, but every time I seriously consider it the memories of NWCGE come flooding back and I'm scared off again.

The lineup this year looks pretty unbeatable, though, and I do have some spare time and very cheap plane tickets I can use.. And I wouldn't mind seeing some of you guys, if there's a decent turnout. I'll probably wait until the last minute and decide whether to go depending on who else is going.

Kobun, where are you going to be staying?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Drat. I was supposed to be going (to represent The Mushroom Kingdom), but I have to fly to Ohio that weekend. The really annoying part is that I'm in Sacramento and could drive to the expo without much of a problem. Grrr.

Kobun, do me a favor and spends lots of money. Then I can feel like I vacariously visited through you.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
It'd be a crime if you are in northern California and you do not go.

More importantly, you should go to California Extreme this weekend, at the same location.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
fenekku-gitsune said:

More importantly, you should go to California Extreme this weekend, at the same locaiton.

Drat. This would be the first example of "love vs. gaming" to appear in my life. I do think the lass in Ohio might mind if I went to a game show instead of the planned visit with her.

What is California Extreme?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
fenekku-gitsune said:

More importantly, you should go to California Extreme this weekend, at the same location.

I just found out from a friend last night that California Extreme was this weekend. I'll probably go to that on Sunday

I went to it a couple years ago and it was pretty cool. Kicked some ass on Puzzle Bobble, oh yea

DavidDayton said:
Drat. This would be the first example of "love vs. gaming" to appear in my life. I do think the lass in Ohio might mind if I went to a game show instead of the planned visit with her.

What is California Extreme?

Bunch of games on free play, mostly classic games

http://www.caextreme.org/

WarPig

fenekku-gitsune said:

No shit? I'll hit that, definitely. Catch a ride with Nich or something, hit me up some Bride of Pin-Bot.

DFS.

WarPig said:
No shit? I'll hit that, definitely. Catch a ride with Nich or something, hit me up some Bride of Pin-Bot.

Play some Marble Man and post impressions kthx.

And hound that motherfucker to release the ROMs already!

WarPig

If it's not Bride of Pin-Bot or Dr. Dude and His eXcellent Ray, I'm not interested.

Any motherfucker gets between me and Dr. Dude gets fucking steamrolled.

DFS.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
bobbyconover said:
Play some Marble Man and post impressions kthx.

And hound that motherfucker to release the ROMs already!
It's not that good, which is the common theme among pretty much all the non-released Atari arcade games, so don't get too excited.

As he explained in his page, he was allowed access to the roms from ex-Atari employees because (a) he promised not to distribute them and (b) he had everything else he needed to rebuild the prototype cabinets except the roms. So don't hate on him too much. He's there at CA Extreme with the games every year, after all.

fenekku-gitsune said:
As he explained in his page, he was allowed access to the roms from ex-Atari employees because (a) he promised not to distribute them and (b) he had everything else he needed to rebuild the prototype cabinets except the roms. So don't hate on him too much. He's there at CA Extreme with the games every year, after all.

Yeah, I've been following the whole debate surrounding his roms (not just Marble Man, but Bradley Trainer and several others) for years now and I don't think less of him because of it. Besides, he does help the rest of us out with his ridiculously awesome Atari Games memorabilia collection at times, like when he reprinted those early 80s promotional shirts from the original films.

Still, knowing that a single individual owns not one but 3 (I think, at least last I heard) complete Marble Man cabs does fill me with a bit of jealous rage. I'll have to make it down there one of these years if for no other reason than to finally play it (and the others, like Beavis and Butthead), realize it sucks, and finally purge the jealousy from my system.

Priz

*BUMP!* Went to California Extreme and picked up an extra "$10 off admission at the door" flyer for CGE.

If anyone needs it, they're welcome to it. (Bobby)

:)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bumping this thread up as a reminder. I might have to pass though, something just came up argh

Teddman

I went to CGE the last couple years, but I'll probably sit this one out... I've been doing a lot of weekend trips this year and I liked it better back when it was in Vegas. :)

I didn't know this thread existed.

I went to California Extreme two weeks ago, and it was a blast.

Hundreds of pinballs, loads of laser disc arcade games, and games like Professor Pac-Man, Sega's Bank Panic, and I, Robot. Stuff I haven't seen in decades to stuff I never knew existed. I even got blisters.

The most interesting part, for me, was the old Atari guys who worked back in the day in Cupertino and Sunnyvale. There was an "Atari Film Festival" which showed old videos ranging from cabinets being constructed to goofy inhouse stuff.

Could you guys post impressions of this weekend's shindig? I'd appreciate it.

Top Bottom