• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN: FBI documents detail how the Russians try to recruit spies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

Washington (CNN)It is a scene ripped from Hollywood spy thrillers: Russian agents living and working among everyday, American citizens as cover for their true mission of stealing state secrets.

In the real world, it is highly unlikely that your neighbor, coworker or mailman is actually a clandestine Russian operative working under a false identity. But that certainly does not mean the art of espionage has gone out of style in the world of international intelligence gathering, particularly between the United States and its former Cold War foe.

Spy recruitment strategy

These "Spy 101" type tactics are spelled out nearly step-by-step in the FBI court filings from a 2015 case that names a person identified only as "Male 1." While the government has never revealed his identity, Carter Page has acknowledged to CNN that he is the individual the documents refer to as a target of recruitment by three Russian intelligence agents.

The FBI has never accused Page, who would later become a Trump campaign adviser, of having been successfully turned as a spy. He has repeatedly denied any allegations of wrongdoing and said he wasn't aware he had been approached by Russian spies.
"Consistent with the politically motivated unmasking standards seen in the Obama Administration which have recently been exposed, my personal identity and earlier assistance of federal authorities in the 2015 case of U.S.A. v. BURYAKOV, SPORYSHEV and PODOBNYY was framed in an easily identifiable way that amplified the reputational damage against me," Page said in a statement to CNN.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/15/polit...i-carter-page0410PMVODtopLink&linkId=36545355

CNN pasting Carter Page's profile all over this article is hilarious. No, CNN you are not calling Carter Page a spy for Russia. You're just heavily implying it. And it's not like Page can sue, because he's very likely a spy for Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom