• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Colin McRae 2005 demo impressions (oh crap it went realistic)

Drexon

Banned
Short-short demo of a rally track with lotsa dirt. Physics are way realisticified, tries to do something different but falls in the same pit as... that other realistic rally game.. Peter something. I guess it's a little easier to handle the car than in the über realistic Peter game, but still, it sucks. You have to go reaal slow, ease on the gas on every little nuck of a corner, brake if it's more than a "3" (see RSC2), and in good time too. Just doesn't appeal to the arcade rally gamers out there, more of a "Oh, that Peter game looked good, but this is easier!" kinda crowd. There's also damage now, and in all fairness I think the damage model coupled with the more realistic physics do really well. It's not like in RSC2 where you roll 12^24 times and just reset the car, or like in that Peter game where you roll once and the co-driver Screams for his life and you loose 543 seconds, but a good mix of them both. Lost a tire once, and realistic looking sparks came flying. Rolled once (well, not a full roll), ended upp on the side after half a roll and a couple of realistic crash noises sorta impressed me.

Gfx: The scenery is _bland_. Think Peter game, exclude anything interesting and sharp looking, just generic car game looking, kinda like CMR3. The car look suprisingly good though! I'd say almost as good as the RSC2 cars. More realistic damage occur when you drive so the car quickly gets dirty and such, looks rough. :) The "explosions" in the exhaust pipes look suprisingly good too. The RSC2 explosions, well, you sorta didn't notice them, they just melted in with the scenery. These explosions made me go "WTF was that! Something boomed and I got surpriced!", just a good side note.
Sense of speed: 0.5, 0 being GT3/4 and 1 being a standard rally game. You just. have. to. drive. so. slow. that you never even get up to any considerable speeds.
Also there's a new filter that makes everything super-blurry, that's (for some reason) used when the camera pans around the car before the race, making you think wtf they thought they'd accomplish making the game so blurry and comes into play when you crash rather severely.. again for some reason. Maybe it's supposed to make you think You're dizzy! Bah.

No buy, discuss.

D.Cowboys

Neo Member
Heh, thats the difference between arcade and realistic. You don't and can't go balls to the wall at all times into and out of corners in real rally racing.

The cars have restricted speeds in most classes based on the deaths of some rally Group B drivers in the 80s.

The problem with some arcade type gamers is many of them really do not want to learn how to drive a car like they should.

If a person likes sims and Rally, both games are probably worth checking out. If you don't want any real experience in Rally probably stay away.

Shinobi

Drexon said:
Ah, yeah. =) I think my brain thought "cartoons > burns > simpsons/family guy > peter".

:lol I was wondering what you were talking about...was thinking perhaps a Petter Solberg game had seen a quiet release or something.

Anyway, Colin McRae 2K5 will hopefully be a quality game...the first one was good, 2 was just incredible, 3 was just junk, and 4 was a return to glory. I'd like to see some longer stages in this game though, closer to the real world lengths seen in the WRC games.

cja

Downloaded the PC demo and I'm rather impressed. Three stages and three cars to choose from with the cars being especially good choices (Peugeot 206, Lancia Stratos and Toyota GT-4). First couple of goes through, the stages were a culture shock after not playing CM in a while. Really difficult to keep the thing on the track at any sort of pace, demanding. The stages seem more open than I remember them, no longer just a very slim corridor and stuff like small rocks, the woods and long grass really add stuff since when I played CM2 regularly. Those who played last year edition may differ but personally don't understand these complaints if EA can do it with every sport going I don't see why Codemasters can't especially since it's main competitor, WRC, is now a yearly occurance.

Top Bottom