• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Championship Week: Of Meaningless Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lenz44

Banned
Ah bowl season, where I watch games like Toledo vs App State. I love this time of year! App State has some explosive players, that's for sure.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Youngstown up on EWU in the 4th quarter. This has been a good game.

Edit: Now EWU back on top.

Youngstown not getting the OSU call, overturned to be short instead of first down.

Questionable clock management. Might cost Youngstown the game.

Controversial ending? TD? Maybe?

Definitely a TD, what a catch. One handed on the back of a defender, held it for a couple steps and all the way to the ground.

Lenz44

Banned
Youngstown up on EWU in the 4th quarter. This has been a good game.

Edit: Now EWU back on top.

Youngstown not getting the OSU call, overturned to be short instead of first down.

Questionable clock management. Might cost Youngstown the game.

Controversial ending? TD? Maybe?

Definitely a TD, what a catch. One handed on the back of a defender, held it for a couple steps and all the way to the ground.

Crazy catch and found out NDSU lost, that's crazy. Upset central out there! *Looks at Northern Colorado in shame*

Guess those Minnesota players didn't get the sympathy they wanted for supporting their team mates sexual assault

If only pedo st. fans were just as good as Minnesota fans

Guess those Minnesota players didn't get the sympathy they wanted for supporting their team mates sexual assault

Apparently that and the fact that someone let them read the report made them realize what a bunch of idiots they were.

Ryuuroden

I think it was more they finally got to see the report and the allegations outside of what their suspended teammates told them. Before it was finally seen on the news the university had refused to show the bad shit that had happened that their teammates had probably minimized. Give the rest of the team some credit for backing off. Based on their statements and reports, a good number of them were like "fuck that, I'm not going to dirty my name defending that" once they heard the woman's story. For all we know, they mistakenly felt it was a duke lacrosse type situation because its not like this was the Florida state police department that dropped the charges. I hardly think the gophers have that much sway on the police.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...otball-team-ends-boycott-prepare-holiday-bowl

andycapps

Apparently that and the fact that someone let them read the report made them realize what a bunch of idiots they were.
Yeah what I read was that the report wasn't out when they started their boycott and when they learned what was in the report were appalled.

The coaches supported the players boycott whIle they knew what was in the report though. That's interesting.

Rocketz

Well Toledo's season was basically a wash.

Going 9-4 is great and I'm happy the team is continuing to due well. But again with no MAC title (or even playing for the title) and no bowl victory the year is kinda empty at the end. At least we beat BG.

Yeah what I read was that the report wasn't out when they started their boycott and when they learned what was in the report were appalled.

The coaches supported the players boycott whIle they knew what was in the report though. That's interesting.

And the report was seemingly given to the press by one of the players facing expulsion, so I guess he thought it being out would help them.

Plus now there's other suspensions that need to be handed out with a player saying on Twitter there won't be justice until the victim is in handcuffs, though Claeys is a gutless coward who doesn't care about anything other than trying to win football games so we'll see. Hopefully he's canned after the bowl game.

Fuck these guys, as a Gopher fan I hope Washington State puts up 80 on them so there's no chance the players say something stupid and embarrassing about winning for their brothers who couldn't be there with them.

Ryuuroden

Wonder what went on in the background. Did the coach encourage the university to be transparent with the players and show the report. Did the university refuse and tell the coach the public would never see it. We know the only reason we have seen it was because the media leaked it. Did the coach make the decision that he would break from the university and support the players decision because he was legally bound not to show them the report and if he did not support their decisions he would lose the team and possibly cost him his job and future jobs due to not looking like a good coach. We will see what he says now but if you ask me the university put him in a hard place.

I probably would of told the team that they would not be supporting the boycott if they could see what was in the report but since I can't tell you what is in the report ill support whatever actions you take but I myself cannot support the suspended players due to what I know. I would support the rest of the players on the team because based on what they know I can't really fault them too hard for feeling like they needed to stand up for their teammates. All they know is that the police exonerated their teammates and the accused players as is typical fed them a false narrative that they believed because they practice and are around these guys every day. Yes I could be giving too much credit and it may not be valid but not everyone is a monster and I am sure everyone here has been misled before by friends or family. I think what is more important is to see what actions the players take going forward addressing sexual violence on campus and more.

andycapps

Jerry Kill is going to be Rutgers offensive coordinator.
Great. Unfortunately this gif isn't him but it's all I know about Minnesota coaches.

wyLFdJW.gif

-NeoTB1-

I may have been thinking of Texas women's university actually. Umhb is actually closer to 2:1 female to male just like Baylor

...and unlike Baylor, we didn't try to bribe our way to the top of the football world by bringing in morally-challenged athletes while fostering an environment of zero accountability.

Also, UMHB is 2016 D-III National Champs. :D

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Albert BreerVerified account ?@AlbertBreer 6m6 minutes ago
Stanford RB Christian McCaffrey (@CMccaffrey5) announces he will skip the Sun Bowl "so I can start my draft prep immediately."

Hmmm

Salute to McCaffrey for protecting himself. I don't know if Fournette has announced whether or not he's playing yet, but I kinda hope he follows suit. Nothing to gain in a meaningless game.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Salute to McCaffrey for protecting himself. I don't know if Fournette has announced whether or not he's playing yet, but I kinda hope he follows suit. Nothing to gain in a meaningless game.

Should players immediately stop playing for their team when they are eliminated from playoff contention if they are draft prospects?

Should players immediately stop playing for their team when they are eliminated from playoff contention if they are draft prospects?

Perhaps. In the case of talents like Fournette? Abso-fucking-lutely. He not getting paid to finish a meaningless season. Coaches leave schools during bowl season to prepare for other jobs all the time. As a fan, I understand not liking the change, but I applaud players being given more freedom to do what's best for them and theirs. They don't owe anyone a thing.

Edit: Bama losing Dakota Ball for the season from a hunting accident is the most Bama thing ever, I hate to say.

I like to think (incorrectly, I know) that reasonable fans of college teams will understand. If Bama had been eliminated weeks back, I wouldn't begrudge someone like Jonathon Allen saying "welp, it's been real".

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
I mean, why not players on any team if they're projected to go high in the draft, regardless of if they're in the playoffs or not? I'm not sure why the people in this thread who are applauding players for this are even fans of college football.
I like to think (incorrectly, I know) that reasonable fans of college teams will understand. If Bama had been eliminated weeks back, I wouldn't begrudge someone like Jonathon Allen saying "welp, it's been real".
Why shouldn't he just say that anyway? Would you be okay with him protecting himself by peaceing out of the playoffs game?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I guess I just see people supporting these decisions as an indictment on college sports in general. It feels incongruent to support this and support a college team.

I mean, why not players on any team if they're projected to go high in the draft, regardless of if they're in the playoffs or not? I'm not sure why the people in this thread who are applauding players for this are even fans of college football.

Exactly.

Chris Fallica
McCaffrey touched the ball 672 times via rush/rec last 2 years. Only 2 other Power 5 players had 550. Doesn't even include his 76 returns.

I don't blame him one bit.

His coaches ran him into the ground the last two years for their own personal gain. What does he gain by playing anymore college football?

Dsyndrome

I'm already sad that ND's QB is going for the draft as a sophomore with a 4-8 record, I can't even imagine a player with a bowl game left saying "Peace Out" before the bowl is even done (outside of injury that already occurred).

Why shouldn't he just say that anyway? Would you be okay with him protecting himself by peaceing out of the playoffs game?

If he made that decision, he'd have every right. It wouldn't happen in most situations, though. Don't fool yourself; the players want a shot at that ring, and its kinda false to try to equate that to a chance to win the Dr. Pepper Toilet Bowl.

Being a fan of something doesn't mean being blind to its pitfalls. These are still unpaid players that generate a ton of profit that they don't really see any of.

Kyle Bonagura ‏@BonaguraESPN 34m34 minutes ago
Feeling good today: Foster Farms Bowl. When weighing Stanford or Utah, McCaffrey was the main reason Cardinal was even considered.

Wonder if this has an effect on bowl choices going forward.

mre

If he made that decision, he'd have every right. It wouldn't happen in most situations, though. Don't fool yourself; the players want a shot at that ring, and its kinda false to try to equate that to a chance to win the Dr. Pepper Toilet Bowl.

Being a fan of something doesn't mean being blind to its pitfalls. These are still unpaid players that generate a ton of profit that they don't really see any of.
Nobody's saying these kids quitting isn't within their right, but it's not something to be applauded. Do you want to see seniors or draft-eligible juniors from dropping off the team the moment they perceive their teams to be eliminated from the playoffs? What about players who think they'll have a shot at the NFL from just foregoing their entire last year? Would you applaud these kids? If so, you're just applauding the demise of college football.

Sure you can be fan of college football, while acknowledging its flaws. But I don't see how you can applaud the kids who quit before the bowl game while still calling yourself a fan of college football. Even if you start paying the players, colleges aren't going to be able to pay these kids even close to what the NFL pays players, so there's still the same incentives for the players to sit out.

Nobody's saying these kids quitting isn't within their right, but it's not something to be applauded. Do you want to see seniors or draft-eligible juniors from dropping off the team the moment they perceive their teams to be eliminated from the playoffs? What about players who think they'll have a shot at the NFL from just foregoing their entire last year? Would you applaud these kids? If so, you're just applauding the demise of college football.

Sure you can be fan of college football, while acknowledging its flaws. But I don't see how you can applaud the kids who quit before the bowl game while still calling yourself a fan of college football. Even if you start paying the players, colleges aren't going to be able to pay these kids even close to what the NFL pays players, so there's still the same incentives for the players to sit out.

I absolutely can and do applaud those kids. I love college football more than I can ever put into words, but no, I don't think the system can (or will) continue on as it does now. These are kids with families dependent on them, and a future career (and well-being) that they want to protect. I'm not gonna put being a fan of some form of entertainment over them making the right decision for them. There are very real consequences for these players, and some want them to ignore that for the sake of their respect and a bowl game goodie bag.

Quite frankly, who gives a fuck what we think? Jaylon Smith lost at least $20 million playing in the Fiesta Bowl last year, but I'm sure he's so relieved that you think highly of him for giving it one last go in a glorified exhibition game. Some games just matter more than others. Even coaches that would otherwise leave a program for a promotion stick around to coach for a shot at a national title. Look at Kiffin, Smart, and Herman. Players would too. Even Fournette. Anything short of that, I can't really knock em for dippin. This isn't hard.

mre

I absolutely can and do applaud those kids. I love college football more than I can ever put into words, but no, I don't think the system can (or will) continue on as it does now. These are kids with families dependent on them, and a future career (and well-being) that they want to protect. I'm not gonna put being a fan of some form of entertainment over them making the right decision for them. There are very real consequences for these players, and some want them to ignore that for the sake of their respect and a bowl game goodie bag.

Quite frankly, who gives a fuck what we think? Jaylon Smith lost at least $20 million playing in the Fiesta Bowl last year, but I'm sure he's so relieved that you think highly of him for giving it one last go in a glorified exhibition game. Some games just matter more than others. Even coaches that would otherwise leave a program for a promotion stick around to coach for a shot at a national title. Look at Kiffin, Smart, and Herman. Players would too. Even Fournette. Anything short of that, I can't really knock em for dippin. This isn't hard.
I think valuing a ring over an NFL paycheck is stupid and inherently against a player's self interest, so you should be not only applauding those kids who leave early, but encouraging those who stay, even for the express purpose of winning a meaningless championship, to leave and protect their bodies.

I think valuing a ring over an NFL paycheck is stupid and inherently against a player's self interest, so you should be not only applauding those kids who leave early, but encouraging those who stay, even for the express purpose of winning a meaningless championship, to leave and protect their bodies.

Of course a ring doesn't matter more than a paycheck. But these players do have pride and want a natty. Who really cares outside of that? These things don't exist in a vacuum; they're proud, but they don't want a Capital One bowl victory lol. All that said, if Allen announced today he was forgoing the playoff for the draft, I would understand and wish the man well. It'd suck for me as a fan, and that'd be something I couldn't relate to (because I'd definitely risk it all to be in position to win a title), but I wouldn't criticize him. If he values a paycheck more, go get that money.

If you're seriously equating a Sun Bowl game to a national title, I'm gonna tap out here. Because…yeah.

mre

Of course a ring doesn't matter more than a paycheck. But these players do have pride and want a natty. Who really cares outside of that? These things don't exist in a vacuum; they're proud, but they don't want a Capital One bowl victory lol. All that said, if Allen announced today he was forgoing the playoff for the draft, I would understand and wish the man well. It'd suck for me as a fan, and that'd be something I couldn't relate to (because I'd definitely risk it all to be in position to win a title), but I wouldn't criticize him. If he values a paycheck more, go get that money.

If you're seriously equating a Sun Bowl game to a national title, I'm gonna tap out here. Because…yeah.
Hey, I just hope you get the sport you seem to want and that you enjoy it.

Not about my enjoyment, man. It's about them. We're just lucky to be able to watch and be entertained. If that goes away, it is what it is. Not gonna cosign someone's misery so I can have one of my favorite pastimes exactly the way I like it. *shrug*

Bowl games are meaningless exhibition games. There are only 4 teams in the post season actually playing for something. Hopefully now with McCaffery and Fournette and some other high profile stars starting to forgo their meaningless bowls, we will expedite the process to expand the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom