• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 25 wouldn’t have been possible without AI, EA boss says

havoc00

EA Sports’ College Football 25 marks the return of a beloved sports sim franchise, and according to Electronic Arts CEO Andrew Wilson, the game couldn’t have been made without developers utilizing machine learning and AI-powered technology.

In an investor call on Tuesday, Wilson said in prepared remarks that “creating 150 unique stadiums and over 11,000 player likenesses [for College Football 25] couldn’t be done without EA’s deep history of being a technology leader and by our incredibly passionate and talented teams harnessing the power of AI and machine learning.”

Wilson later clarified those remarks, saying that player likenesses — which he called “heads” — and stadiums weren’t purely generated by AI and machine learning. EA’s “very talented artists” supplemented that algorithmic work by touching up and enhancing the players likenesses, Wilson said, as opposed to “having to go through the full head development programs.”

Wilson noted that “in any given year, [EA] will develop about 500 to 1,000 star heads” for one of its sports games. The 11,000 that were needed to represent the players featured in College Football 25 was obviously a much bigger challenge.

DryvBy

Thank goodness we had all this AI for literally decades before they quit making college football games.

HAYA8U5A

I don't follow college football to know what the current players should look like. But I do know the Joe Burrow card you got with the MVP Bundle in Ultimate Team was a black guy at launch so I'm just going with them trying to pass the blame for things like that on the poor defenseless A.I. What a bunch of jerks!

bender

What time is it?
People seem very pleased with this game too. Like much more than Madden.

Maybe AI should replace everyone at EA. We might finally get a good Madden again.

Or delay the release of Madden for a decade+ and people will be more forgiving of the warts.

"Passionate and talented team" and using AI, are contradictory statements.

Developers that are talented and passionate about their craft wouldn't in a billion years "harness the power of AI".

What a weird way to phrase that too, "harnessing"... Specially when you consider what AI is.

But it's EA. Ubisoft and EA are two companies that in a few years will fire literally every developer in the building, to just go straight to AI to "develop" everything.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
"Passionate and talented team" and using AI, are contradictory statements.

Developers that are talented and passionate about their craft wouldn't in a billion years "harness the power of AI".

What a weird way to phrase that too, "harnessing"... Specially when you consider what AI is.

But it's EA. Ubisoft and EA are two companies that in a few years will fire literally every developer in the building, to just go straight to AI to "develop" everything.

You are you sure about this?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
MVP_Baseball_2005_Coverart.png

Great now do us a favor

peek

People love to rag on AI, but it can be an amazing tool for developers to be able to get things done more efficiently.

And once the tech gets better and less resource heavy... I can imagine it where there can be quest givers in rpgs that can respond with AI chat so you can essentially get near unlimited possibilities with unique dialogue and quests.

Last edited:
Yeah I bought the game from the strong trial they did. I dont even know College Football that much. Its just a fun pick up and play game with 100+ teams to choose from.

Top Bottom