• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 04/20/11. Big Head & Cyber Arms, This. Is. PERSIA!, & Think Pink!

Status
Not open for further replies.
cbd_04202011.jpg

cbd_header02-1.png

Here is this week's Diamond Comics Shipping List for: Wednesday, April 20th 2011:

cbd_header03.png

Shipping This Week: DC Comics / Vertigo Comics

Spotlight On:
FEB110114 GREEN LANTERN #65 (WAR OF GL) $2.99

wBGok.jpg

The "War of the Green Lanterns" takes a shocking turn! With the entire Green Lantern Corps against them, the four Earthborn GLs make a choice that will rank among the most memorable in GL history. But not all of them agree on what has to be done and what lines are to be crossed. Plus, the countdown to the live-action film continues with another exclusive look at the upcoming GREEN LANTERN movie! Story by Geoff Johns, art by Doug Mahnke and Keith Champagne.

h1xNo.jpg

YkAfB.jpg

Trcpp.jpg

FEB110151 BATMAN #709 $2.99
FEB110192 DC COMICS PRESENTS NINJA BOY #1 $7.99
FEB110131 DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #6 $2.99
FEB110261 DMZ #64 (MR) $2.99
FEB110255 FABLES #104 (MR) $2.99
FEB110150 GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #22 $2.99
FEB110116 GREEN LANTERN CORPS #59 (WAR OF GL) $2.99
FEB110134 JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #56 $2.99
FEB110168 LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #12 $2.99
FEB110181 POWER GIRL #23 $2.99
FEB110172 SPIRIT #13 $2.99
FEB110163 SUPERGIRL #63 $2.99
FEB110164 SUPERMAN BATMAN #83 $2.99
FEB110185 TEEN TITANS #94 $2.99
FEB110189 ZATANNA #12 $2.99

cbd_header04.png

Shipping This Week: Marvel Comics

Spotlight On:
FEB110528 AVENGERS #12 $3.99

g39Xo.jpg

The startling conclusion to the Infinity Gauntlet arc takes the Avengers into the heart of the cosmic universe and reveals an all-new cosmic entity. Who will wield the Gauntlet and what price will they pay for choosing to do so? Also, Iron Man has betrayed the team and will now have to pay the price!! Another blockbuster chapter of Marvel's number one ongoing series by Bendis and Romita!! PLUS: Another chapter of the oral history of the Avengers! Story by Brian Michael Bendis, art by John Romita Jr.

7aOsS.jpg

xYV9x.jpg

75gRr.jpg

FEB110533 AVENGERS ACADEMY #12 $2.99
FEB110635 DEADPOOLMAX #7 (MR) $3.99
FEB110633 GENERATION HOPE #6 $2.99
FEB110522 HALO FALL OF REACH COVENANT #1 (OF 4) (RES) (MR) $3.99
FEB110560 HULK #32 $2.99
FEB110508 INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #503 FEAR $3.99
FEB110584 IRON MAN 2.0 #4 $2.99
FEB110513 SIGIL #2 (OF 4) $2.99
FEB110596 SILVER SURFER #3 (OF 5) $2.99
FEB110563 SKAAR KING OF SAVAGE LAND #2 (OF 5) $2.99
FEB110597 THUNDERBOLTS #156 $2.99
FEB110631 UNCANNY X-FORCE #8 $3.99
FEB110614 WOLVERINE #8 $3.99
FEB110622 WOLVERINE & JUBILEE #4 (OF 4) $2.99
FEB110632 X-FACTOR #218 $2.99

cbd_header05.png

Shipping This Week: Image Comics / Top Cow Productions

Spotlight On:
FEB110379 SUPER DINOSAUR #1 $2.99

SFFV7.jpg

ALL-NEW FROM ROBERT KIRKMAN & JASON HOWARD! This is where it begins!

The Evil Max Maximus wants to get to Inner-Earth! He wants the dinosaurs that live there! He wants the powerful DynOre mineral that originates there! SUPER DINOSAUR and DEREK DYNAMO are the only ones who can stop him! The fate of the world rests on the shoulders of a ten year-old kid and his best friend, a nine-foot tall Tyrannosaurus Rex who loves to play video games. Story by Robert Kirkman, art by Jason Howard.

eGz3P.jpg

FEB110393 68 (SIXTY EIGHT) #1 (OF 4) $3.99
FEB110458 HACK SLASH #3 (MR) $3.50
OCT100512 INVINCIBLE #79 $2.99
FEB110493 TWILIGHT GUARDIAN #4 (OF 4) $3.99
FEB110412 WALKING DEAD WEEKLY #16 (MR) $2.99

cbd_header06.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse Comics

Spotlight On:
FEB110010 DARK HORSE PRESENTS #1 $7.99

8aqGA.jpg
dQpOh.jpg

The legendary, premiere anthology is back! The 80-page spectacular, Dark Horse Presents returns with all-new stories by Neal Adams, Howard Chaykin, and Richard Corben; a new Concrete story by Paul Chadwick, a new Crimson Empire story from the Star Wars universe, and an exclusive sneak peek of Frank Miller’s highly-anticipated prequel to 300, Xerxes!

The celebration continues with a brand-new, all-color Finder story by Carla Speed McNeil, a prose piece from science fiction legend Harlan Ellison, the return of Michael T. Gilbert’s Mr. Monster, and much, much more!

* 80 pages of original content with no ads.

MU96a.jpg

FEB110025 MASS EFFECT EVOLUTION #4 (OF 4) $3.50

cbd_header07-1.png

Shipping This Week: IDW Publishing

Spotlight On:
FEB110348 DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS #6 $3.99

RAAwS.jpg

The second story arc kicks off here! Learn the origin of Fell’s Four! While stranded in the Feywild, Adric recounts for Tisha how Fell’s Four was born—and almost died the very same day. Join us as John Rogers, Andrea Di Vito bring us a new chapter in their thrilling adventures of swords and sorcery. Story by John Rogers, art by Andrea Di Vito.

Fzqvy.jpg

FEB110354 DOCTOR WHO FAIRYTALE LIFE #1 (OF 4) $3.99
FEB110300 GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #165 $3.99
JAN110531 JERICHO SEASON 3 #5 (OF 6) $3.99
JAN110500 SUICIDE GIRLS #1 (OF 4) (MR) $3.99
FEB110315 ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS UNDERCITY #1 (OF 4) $3.99

cbd_header08-1.png

Shipping This Week: Antarctic Press / Aspen Comics / Avatar Press / Boom! Studios / Dynamite Entertainment / Fantagraphics / Oni Press / Radical Publishing / UDON Entertainment / Zenescope

Spotlight On:
DEC100716 BLACK DYNAMITE SLAVE ISLAND GN (MR) $5.95

I1pi4.jpg

Ape Entertainment, in partnership with Ars Nova, is proud to announce the release of the original 48 page one-shot Black Dynamite: Slave Island, inspired by the major motion picture BLACK DYNAMITE.

“Between the streets, Vietnam and the C.I.A., Black Dynamite thought he had seen it all. But nothing could have prepared him for his most dangerous mission yet! In BLACK DYNAMITE: SLAVE

ISLAND, the world’s greatest Blaxploitation sensation uses his fists of fury to shut down a secret island where the Man still plays by 1850’s rules!” SLAVE ISLAND is based on a story by Michael Jai White, Byron Minns and Scott Sanders. Written by Brian Ash (The Boondocks),with inks by Jun Lofamia, one-shot is due in stores April 2011.

BdDEm.jpg

WP6WO.jpg

FEB110832 28 DAYS LATER #22 $3.99
JAN111346 BOONDOCK SAINTS MOB WAR #1 (OF 2) $3.99
FEB110716 GOLD DIGGER #128 $3.99
FEB110958 GREEN HORNET #15 $3.99
JAN118136 JACK KIRBYS GALACTIC BOUNTY HUNTERS #1 $3.99
FEB110851 MALIGNANT MAN #1 (OF 4) $3.99
FEB110979 RED SONJA BREAK THE SKIN ONE SHOT $4.99
NOV101002 RYDER ON THE STORM #3 (OF 3) (MR) $4.99
FEB111117 SIXTH GUN #11 $3.99
FEB110854 STAN LEE SOLDIER ZERO #7 $3.99

cbd_header09.png

Shipping This Week: Dark Horse / Bandai / Del Rey / Digital Manga Publishing / Tokyopop / Viz / Yen Press

Spotlight On:
FEB111074 AKIRA KODANSHA ED GN VOL 06 (MR) $29.99

TvRDD.jpg

Regarded by many as the finest work of graphic fiction ever produced, Akira is a bold and breathtaking epic of potent narrative strength and astonishing illustrative skill.

The lives of two streetwise teenage friends, Tetsuo and Kaneda, change forever when dormant paranormal abilities begin to waken in Tetsuo, who becomes a target for a shadowy government operation, a group who will stop at nothing to prevent another catastrophe like that which leveled Tokyo.

Includes a postscript by Dark Horse Comics publisher Mike Richardson. Story and art by Katsuhiro Otomo.

0YY06.jpg

SEP100839 CODE GEASS KNIGHT GN VOL 03 $10.99
JAN111164 ITAZURA NA KISS GN VOL 05 $16.95
JAN111377 NAOKI URASAWA 20TH CENTURY BOYS GN VOL 14 $12.99
JAN111165 REPLICA GN VOL 01 (MR) $12.95
MAR101162 SILENT MOBIUS COMPLETE ED GN VOL 04 $14.99

cbd_header10-1.png

Shipping This Week: Archie Comics / DC Kids / Marvel Kids / Bongo Comics / Boom! Studios / Kids' Comics / Electric Milk

Spotlight On:
FEB110239 TINY TITANS #39 $2.99

zqaeA.jpg

What happens when you mix red clothes and white clothes in the wash? You end up with pink undies, right? The same thing happens when someone washes the Tiny Titans costumes with Superman's red cape! Superman, Alfred, a gaggle of Tiny Titans and Lois Lane are going to have something new and oh-so-pretty in common this month! Story by Art Baltazar and Franco, art by Baltazar.

sjBR6.jpg

FEB110240 YOUNG JUSTICE #3 $2.99
FEB110741 ARCHIE & FRIENDS #154 $2.99
FEB110862 DARKWING DUCK #11 $3.99
FEB110863 DARKWING DUCK TP VOL 02 CRISIS ON INFINITE DARKWINGS $14.99
FEB110866 MICKEY MOUSE #307 $3.99

cbd_header11.png

Spotlight On:
FEB110419 MARIJUANAMAN HC $24.99

9gmSj.jpg

A new hero for our times — from the fertile imagination of music superstar, ZIGGY MARLEY! A noble champion has arrived on Earth, and he brings an important message even as he struggles to save his own planet. JOE CASEY (GØDLAND, BUTCHER BAKER) and JIM MAHFOOD (KICK DRUM COMIX, MIX TAPE) join forces to bring you this all-new jam, telling a tale of high adventure! We guarantee: This is not the comic you think it is! Story by Ziggy Marley and Joe Casey, art by Jim Mahfood.

5PMi0.jpg

9pKDp.jpg

JAN110327 HITMAN TP VOL 04 ACE OF KILLERS NEW PTG $17.99
DEC100250 LEGION OF SUPER HEROES HC VOL 01 THE CHOICE $24.99
JAN110333 SUPERMAN BATMAN WORSHIP TP $17.99
FEB110680 CAPTAIN AMERICA VS RED SKULL TP $24.99
FEB110681 RED HULK TP SCORCHED EARTH $19.99
FEB110648 SHIELD HC ARCHITECTS OF FOREVER $24.99
FEB110683 SPIDER-MAN ONE MOMENT IN TIME TP $19.99
FEB110687 THUNDERBOLTS CLASSIC TP VOL 01 $29.99
AUG100382 ARCHIE SEVEN DECADES OF AMERICAS FAVORITE TEENAGERS HC $49.99
DEC100923 BULLET TO THE HEAD TP (MR) $19.99

cbd_header12-1.png

NOTE: Nothing really jumped out at me this week, just some t-shirts from Dark Horse and a few odd tie-ins and crap. So I decided to skip this section this week.

cbd_header01.png

Online Retailers of Comic Books & Graphic Novels:

Online Subscription Services for Monthly Comics:

Get Comics Books on Your iPod, iPad & iPhone:

Comic Shop Locator:

cbd_header13.png

Comic Book Resources: DC Comics Solicitations for July 2011
Newsarama: DC Comics Solicitations for July 2011

Comic Book Resources: Marvel Comics Solicitations for July 2011
Newsarama: Marvel Comics Solicitations for July 2011

Comic Book Resources: Image Comics Solicitations for May 2011
Newsarama: Image Comics Solicitations for May 2011

Comic Book Resources: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for July 2011 *NEW*
Newsarama: Dark Horse Comics Solicitations for July 2011 *NEW*

Newsarama: Dynamite Entertainment Solicitations for May 2011

Comic Book Resources: IDW Publishing Solicitations for June 2011
Newsarama: IDW Publishing Solicitations for June 2011

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want previews? Then here ya go, courtesy of Comic Book Resources and Newsarama . Enjoy! :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys. It's an awesome week, great stuff all around, so you've got no excuses to not buy something. Go forth and spend!

I'll be getting Green Lantern and GLC, Legion of Super-Heroes, Power Girl, Supergirl, Teen Titans (maybe), Zatanna, Avengers Academy, Thunderbolts, Uncanny X-Force, Wolverine, X-Factor, Invincible (sigh), probably Dark Horse Presents, Black Dynamite (maybe, if I can find it), and Tiny Titans. Like I said, awesome week!

Happy reading! :D

why are you blurring out the giant multi colored penises/breast/vags????

anyhoo....

BATMAN #709
DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #6
GOTHAM CITY SIRENS #22
GREEN LANTERN #65
GREEN LANTERN CORPS #59
JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #56
LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #12
SUPERMAN BATMAN #83
TEEN TITANS #94
ZATANNA #12
FEAR ITSELF SINS PAST #1

RickA238

I'm gonna have to check out Super Dinosaur #1. Should be hilarious. Uncanny X-Force looks awesome as usual, and I agree that the Avengers #12 cover is ill.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I am so very, very excited to get Darkwing Duck: Crisis on Infinite Darkwings. The first arc was such a pleasure to read.

Most excited for Invincible. Just finished my re-read of the series yesterday. Time to find out if that's
Mark's baby or not.
Still hoping it isn't.

Velinos

Just finished Preacher volume 6 this morning. Three more to go then I'll be starting GL and GLC. Big haul this week.

DC UNIVERSE ONLINE LEGENDS #6
POWER GIRL #23
SIGIL #2
SUPER DINOSAUR #1
MASS EFFECT EVOLUTION #4
DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS #6

Foob

Forgot to mention this last week or whatever week this came out, but Punisher MAX is fucking awesome you guys

Foob said:
Forgot to mention this last week or whatever week this came out, but Punisher MAX is fucking awesome you guys

Seriously. Never been so grateful to see "Part One" at the end of a story in my life. Totally felt like the end of a run.

Invincible 79

I liked the overall issue except for the abortion. I don't really see the need to have even included that storyline unless she's going somewhere with it. I would rather have had a child born with her powers who was taken away by those people who wanted Eve in the first place.

Edit: Sorry all, was thinking like the manga thread. :(

Foob

BenjaminBirdie said:
Seriously. Never been so grateful to see "Part One" at the end of a story in my life. Totally felt like the end of a run.
Haha, yeah. I honestly thought it was the final issue the whole time I was reading it, too. Let out the biggest sigh of relief when I got to the final page.

VGChampion said:
Invincible 79

I liked the overall issue except for the abortion. I don't really see the need to have even included that storyline unless she's going somewhere with it. I would rather have had a child born with her powers who was taken away by those people who wanted Eve in the first place.

Edit: Sorry all, was thinking like the manga thread. :(
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26869462&postcount=77

Spike Spiegel said:
Nice April Fool's gag. A parody of the whole "Donald Glover for Spider-Man" thing, right? ;D

Still dropping the book, though. The boy on the cover of the next ish
is certainly Dupli-Kate's (she's a twin who had twins), because he's way too old to be Mark's son. So I'm guessing Eve gave the boy up for adoption or (even more likely because Kirkman, that's why) had an abortion because she couldn't bear the thought of raising the baby alone. Her weight gain is due to stress over her decision to abandon it.
In which case, yeah I'm done with Kirkman "twist the knife" storytelling.
Turned in my order form sans Invincible before buying my week's comics, and the second the words came out of Eve's mouth I knew I had made the right choice. Kirkman torturing and tormenting his characters has gotten oooooold.

Also, just been glancing at my stack and A) a Power Girl without Generation Lost is suddenly fun again!, B) Uncanny X-Force continues to stun with its awesomeness, and C) Wolverine's last stand was incredible, wish more people were reading this book.

Spike Spiegel said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26869462&postcount=77

Turned in my order form sans Invincible before buying my week's comics, and the second the words came out of Eve's mouth I knew I had made the right choice. Kirkman torturing and tormenting his characters has gotten oooooold.

Also, just been glancing at my stack and A) a Power Girl without Generation Lost is suddenly fun again!, B) Uncanny X-Force continues to stun with its awesomeness, and C) Wolverine's last stand was incredible, wish more people were reading this book.

Yeah, story isn't what it once was but that art and coloring... I just don't think I can give it up yet.

Zekes!

I guess I can ask this here: I've been wanting to get in to Zatanna; any recommendations on where to start?

Her ongoing series is just one year in, you could easily track down issues #1-12 or pick up the first trade volume collecting #1-6. Beyond that, Everyday Magic (also Dini) is good, as is the Seven Soldiers miniseries. And Zatanna appeared and reappeared during Dini's run on Detective Comics, another good place to look.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Zekes! said:
I guess I can ask this here: I've been wanting to get in to Zatanna; any recommendations on where to start?
The first six issues were just collected in The Mistress of Magic. Why not start there? Then grab back issues or wait for the next collection in October.

Oh! Before I forget guys, check this out. It's definitely going to be a YMMV situation, but today I was in Barnes & Noble and in the bargain books section I found shrinkwrapped copies of Kirby: King of Comics marked down from $40.00 to just $9.98. It's an Eisner Award winning biography on the life of Jack Kirby, and (especially) at that price it's a must own for anyone who claims to be a fan of comic books. Even as just a coffee table book it's a killer pickup.

hAfZn.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/081099447X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Spike Spiegel said:

you made the right choice. kirkman is trying to turn into an american millar, and i wont support that shit

Any US GAF members want the first volume of Simonson's Visionaries Thor collection to get a taste of awesome? Shoot me a PM and I'll send it your way.

I'm up to my eyeballs in comics I need to read. I'm gonna have to put a freeze on buying new trades for a few months.

I'm horribly addicted to comics. D:

Lombaszko

Green Lantern #65 was great! Even though the cover kind of spoils it, it was still interesting to see
what brought Hal to put on the yellow ring. I totally forgot he took the other corps rings.

Also,
Guy talking about the pink ring and "crystal thong" was hilarious!

Spike Spiegel said:

Yeah, looks like I bailed on the Kirkiverse just in time. It's sad because he really does get some of the best artists in the biz.

Spike Spiegel said:

Wolverine #8, you mean? Holy shit yeah, what a great (and hilarious) issue. Aaron is really stepping up lately.

Splatt

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wolverine #8, you mean? Holy shit yeah, what a great (and hilarious) issue. Aaron is really stepping up lately.

Wish he'd shown what was behind "How I cheat at cards" door :D

Foob

BenjaminBirdie said:
It was really so brilliant. I was concerned, as the actual Hell storyline dragged a lot, but this was absolutely fantastic.

I liked parts of the Hell arc alright enough, but you're right - this issue was so good that it made me go back and actually reconsider if the whole run has been this great.

I guess I'm not feeling the X-force love but I'm not hating. I reeeaaally wanted that Legion of the Damned reprint but they said they had to pulp them all...balls.

Batman #709
Gotham City Sirens #22
Green Lantern #65
Green Lantern Corps #59
Legion of Superheroes #12
Power Girl #23
Supergirl #63
Tiny Titans #39
Zatanna #12
Skaar King of Savage Land #2
Uncanny X-force #8
Xfactor #218

Foob said:
I liked parts of the Hell arc alright enough, but you're right - this issue was so good that it made me go back and actually reconsider if the whole run has been this great.

Aaron's been doing some really interesting stuff with Wolverine as a character. It's the same kind of thing I love about what Hickman, Fraction, Remender, and Parker are doing on their books. They're really fleshing out characters in interesting ways. What Remender is doing with Deadpool on Uncanny X-Force, for example, is nothing short of heroic. The worst lamest character in the Marvel Universe is actually fucking interesting for once.

Foob

BenjaminBirdie said:
Aaron's been doing some really interesting stuff with Wolverine as a character. It's the same kind of thing I love about what Hickman, Fraction, Remender, and Parker are doing on their books. They're really fleshing out characters in interesting ways. What Remender is doing with Deadpool on Uncanny X-Force, for example, is nothing short of heroic. The worst lamest character in the Marvel Universe is actually fucking interesting for once.
Ya! Exactly. When Deadpool split off from Fantomex, and everything that happened subsequently.. Oh man, so good.

Same goes for Parker, like you said! I had absolutely zero interest in Rulk up until he to over, and he is killing it on that book. The current arc, with his former protege and the way he's dealing with that is just so fuuuucking good.

tim1138

Really digging War of the Green Lanterns, a lot more so than I thought I would. I'm guessing ultimately that Kyle
is going to stay a Blue Lantern
, which I'm perfectly ok with.

Slayven

Kyle should have nutted up on Ganthet, if it wasn't for him Oa, guardians, and the central battery would still be a memory.

Dead

well not really...yet
BenjaminBirdie said:
I don't know how you can mention Fraction in the same breath as those other guys considering his recent output

Foob

Dead said:
I don't know how you can mention Fraction in the same breath as those other guys considering his recent output

the fuck? have you even been reading invincible iron man? particularly the .1 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom