• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Comic Book Day! - 04/20/11. Big Head & Cyber Arms, This. Is. PERSIA!, & Think Pink!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Foob said:
the fuck? have you even been reading invincible iron man? particularly the .1 issue
I was thinking about Thor in particular, and his X-Men run was pretty godawful an issue or two aside

Kinda lost interest in Iron Man tbh.

Thanks so much for including Black Dynamite in the OP Spike, otherwise I would have missed it.

Just read Journey Into Mystery #622:

SO GOOD AGHH WHY WAS MATT FRACTION ALLOWED TO DERAIL THIS WITH 8 MONTHS OF AIMLESS CRAP AGGHHH

On the plus side it gave Gillen time to store up more Gaimanesque mythic goodness. How many writers could come up with three genuinely interesting pages about magpies flying around? I kinda rolled my eyes when I originally read that it would revolve around Loki, but I shouldn't have doubted the man. He gives him the same kind of depth he gave Mephisto earlier in his run, the guy is definitely in touch with his sinister/trickster side. He even manages to come up with an explanation for some of the senseless things that went on during Siege and Fraction's lame (have I mentioned that I don't like it yet?) run, like why he's back at all. Great stuff, welcome back guys.

Foob said:
the fuck? have you even been reading invincible iron man? particularly the .1 issue

His Thor has been offensively bland. He spent months talking about how it would be a big ideas book and then forgot to think of any. Plus, his X-Men was pretty lame. I do not hold him in high esteem, certainly not on a Hickman/Aaron level. He's never done anything on a Pax Romana/Scalped tier.

GCQuinton

Most of the .1 issues, including Iron Man's, were a waste of time to me. The only one that actually did what Marvel said they were going to do (bring new readers up to speed while introducing new arcs) was Red Hulk's book. Wolverine's was okay too, though.

Dead

well not really...yet
LiveFromKyoto said:
His Thor has been offensively bland. He spent months talking about how it would be a big ideas book and then forgot to think of any. Plus, his X-Men was pretty lame. I do not hold him in high esteem, certainly not on a Hickman/Aaron level. He's never done anything on a Pax Romana/Scalped tier.
Casanova is cool, but yeah, hes definitely no Hickman

Nesotenso

Fraction's run on Uncanny and Thor has been a mixed bag for me. Having said that I am enjoying his Invincible Iron Man run immensely.

Thunderbolts #156: This comic was made for sitting around scarfing junk food with. And I mean that as a compliment, I love junk food. It's just fun without being heavy or topical, with a good character moment on almost every page. It's something I kind of always forget about but then get excited when I see it on the stands and almost always end up reading it first. Plus, any team with the Shocker, Juggernaut, Ghost, Man-Thing & Luke Cage on it has to be cool.

Avengers #12: Fuck yes. I really feel like Bendis is getting to another level here as a straight up Marvel Comics writer, rather than a Tarantino dialogue guy. He gives Red Hulk a couple of awesome moments, keeps the long-dormant Illuminati subplot interesting, and lets JR jr draw huge page after huge page of craziness. I think this series might be able to top his original New Avengers run if he keeps this up.

A certain part of a panel was blocked out by word balloons in Thunderbolts #156, but Jeff Parker has posted the clean and uplifting image:

2d11kjq.jpg

Yeah, it was a pretty weird edit considering all the other sh*t Marvel has shown front and center in recent years. We've had Sentry ripping Ares in half lengthwise, and Blob chowing down on the Wasp's intestines, but god forbid we show Satana giving Moonstone the old squeeze test! That's going too far!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom