• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMIC BOOK DAY - June 30th 2004. Sleeper Season Two #1 ships!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
STAR WARS EMPIRE #21 - if this is the book I think it is.. I have trouble keeping up with the SW books.
BATGIRL #53
BATMAN #629
GREEN LANTERN #178
JLA #100*
RICHARD DRAGON #2*
IRON FIST #4*
IRON MAN #85
ULTIMATE X-MEN #48

Alucard

Banned
Ultimate X-Men, and it looks like I'll be giving this a look as well...

powerless1.jpg

I just can't resist a story about Peter Parker and Matt Murdock going to the same psychiatrist for their super-hero problems.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Alucard said:

powerless1.jpg

I just can't resist a story about Peter Parker and Matt Murdock going to the same psychiatrist for their super-hero problems.

Is that what this series is about? I thought it was about what these people would be like if they weren't super hero's... can't say THAT particular held much interest to me...

BuddyC

Alucard said:

powerless1.jpg

...and sold.

I'll be getting X-Statix and Sleeper.

Plus whatever Walking Dead back issues I can find. My local shop is having a sale on July 3rd... all current comics (even ones that go for $6) will be $1, excluding the newest issue.

nomoment

In case you folks don't want to buy an issue that you might end up regretting, you can read the entire issue of Powerless #1 for free right here. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the series myself, so I'll give fair warning - try before you buy.

Alucard

Banned
DarienA said:
Is that what this series is about? I thought it was about what these people would be like if they weren't super hero's... can't say THAT particular held much interest to me...

Whoops. I think you were right and I was wrong about the plot of the book. Sorry if I misled anyone else. I'm still picking it up regardless.

BuddyC

nomoment said:
In case you folks don't want to buy an issue that you might end up regretting, you can read the entire issue of Powerless #1 for free right here. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the series myself, so I'll give fair warning - try before you buy.

thanks nomo. unsold, by the way.

on the other hand, the new knights spiderman grabbed my interest with the preview issue over at milehigh.

MASB

Heck, I don't know if I'll get anything this week. Nothing really catches my eye.

ON THE ROAD TO PERDITION BOOK 3 DETOUR---- I know there are 3 Road to Perdition books. Is the movie based on the first book or first two? If it's just the first book, what is the second book about?

FnordChan

Alucard said:

If you want superheroes going to the shrink:

xfact087.jpg

X-Factor 87. Peter David sends the team to counseling, courtesy of Doc Savage. It's glorious to behold.

On the list:

Sleeper Season 2, #1 (of 12) - Presumably, everyone reading this thread will be buying this comic.

Avengers/Thunderbolts #5 (of 6) - The reasonably entertaining saga continues! This is enjoyable enough as a mini, but it's a good thing they aren't trying to make it ongoing.

Ultimate FF #8 - I was afraid Ellis was going to crap out the last issue for a quick buck. I was pleasantly suprised to see that, while he's still in it for a quick buck, he's doing a decent job. Good stuff.

Ultimate X-Men #48 - Speaking of good stuff, Brian Vaughn's run has been great sto far. Dare I say it? Is the Ultimate line solid across the board? No, wait, they still churn out an issue of The Ultimates every few months...

X-Statix #24 - Because, if you're going to be cancelled, it may as well be in a goofy homage to the Defenders/Avengers War. Terrific fun!

And the manga release of the week:

Please Save My Earth Vol. 5 - Late 80's shoujo SF with reincarnated aliens, psychic powers, and a sprinkle of angst? Yes, please!

I'm also pleased to see that NBM is publishing another volume in the Cities of the Fantastic series, Invisible Frontier. I'm horribly behind on these, so I doubt I'll be picking this up just yet, but it's definately on my shopping agenda for the near future.

FnordChan

im skipping that powerless crap. it sounds like something that was made to coincede witht the spider-man movie.

anyways....

BATMAN #629 *might skip this either way*

DOOM PATROL #1 i cant stand john byrne's art anymore. it's so old and antiquated but i loves the doom patrol. here's hoping he can do a s good a job as mark waid did witht the patrol in JLA: year one.

GREEN LANTERN #178 three more issues you jerk-ass!!!! HAL JORDAN FOR LIFE!!!

JLA #100 (Note Price) what's happened to my beloved JLA... dammit DC get a regular all-star team for this book!!!!

SUPERMAN SECRET FILES 2004 *supposed to be some good single stories here*

yep, that's it.

X-Statix #24 - Because, if you're going to be cancelled, it may as well be in a goofy homage to the Defenders/Avengers War. Terrific fun

FILTHY URCHIN!!!! X-STATIX IS NOT GONNA BE CANCELLED. PREPARE THYSELF FOR MY STING OF RETRIBUTION!!!!! DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

FnordChan

evil solrac v3.0 said:
FILTHY URCHIN!!!! X-STATIX IS NOT GONNA BE CANCELLED. PREPARE THYSELF FOR MY STING OF RETRIBUTION!!!!! DIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Hope springs eternal. I've got my fingers crossed. But, I can't say that I'm incredibly optamistic.

FnordChan

FnordChan said:
Hope springs eternal. I've got my fingers crossed. But, I can't say that I'm incredibly optamistic.

FnordChan

TO ME, WHIP OF PENANCE!!!!!! *hits solrac square in the eye* aaaaaargh, doomed to failure..... :(

nomoment

Just wanted to say... I finally caught up with She-Hulk, having bought issues #1-3. Amazingly charming, and funny series. The book almost gives off a "Justice League International for Marvel" kind of vibe, which is good. Bobillo is just as good as Maguire ever was, too. I'm definitely sticking with this book for the long run.

Old school Marvel readers will definitely dig She-Hulk.

nomoment said:
Just wanted to say... I finally caught up with She-Hulk, having bought issues #1-3. Amazingly charming, and funny series. The book almost gives off a "Justice League International for Marvel" kind of vibe, which is good. Bobillo is just as good as Maguire ever was, too. I'm definitely sticking with this book for the long run.

doing a flip-flop are we? and it doesnt even come close to giffen/maguire. i'm just gonna attribute this to the fact that you have been drinking. we'll never speak of this again.

nomoment

evil solrac v3.0 said:
doing a flip-flop are we? and it doesnt even come close to giffen/maguire. i'm just gonna attribute this to the fact that you have been drinking. we'll never speak of this again.
It's good, dude. Just read #4.

MAKE MINE MARVEL

Wait, Blue Monday isn't coming out? Oni's website is full of evil lies, I guess. I'm not going to to the shop if it's not coming out. I was just going to get that and the Ultimate books, anyway. So I'll wait until next week. TAKE THAT, COMICS INDUSTRY!!!

FnordChan

Chesapeake Silt said:
Wait, Blue Monday isn't coming out? Oni's website is full of evil lies, I guess.

Alas, Oni's website hasn't jived with it's actual release schedule in quite some time. With luck, Blue Monday will be out in the next week or two.

Nomo, glad to see you finally saw the She Hulk light. If it's not the best thing Marvel's currently publishing, it's damn close to it.

FnordChan

FnordChan

Razoric said:
I got Spiderman fever :p

What are the good collections to get? Maybe some stuff with Venom and whatnot.

I don't know enough to offer recommendations for the regular Spider-Man continuity, but I can wholeheartedly endorse Ultimate Spider-Man, which is a retelling of Spider-Man in a completely seperate universe. It's rock solid entertainment and is as good a place to start as any.

Tales of Wonder is selling the first three Ultimate Spider-Man hardcover collections for a mere $40. That's the first 40 issues or so right there and is an incredible deal.

FnordChan

lordmrw

I'm a bit late with this because I was banned, but here we go:

BATMAN #629
JLA #100
SUPERMAN SECRET FILES 2004
AMAZING FANTASY #1
ULTIMATE X-MEN #48
WIZARD COMICS MAGAZINE TURNER SOULFIRE CVR #154

No so much this week. I'm on the fence with Amazing Fantasy, so more than likely I'll flip through it and see if its worth it. IF I would have had enough money, I would have gotten my comics today after seeing Spider-Man, but I was hungry as hell.

Spike

Damn it all!!!!

I went to 4 different comic stores today to pick up Sleeper: Season 2 # 1, and no one had it. The stores refuse to carry the single issues, instead opting to wait for the eventual trade.

karasu

nomoment said:

Whoa, nice to see you checked it out despite your doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom